Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

IMG 0619 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Back in the day, I used to do everything in my power not to cook.

Bagged iceburg lettuce with dried out carrot shreds? I can learn to love it.

Microwave dinners with rubber chicken? A bit time consuming (4-5 mins!), but doable.

Skillet Sensations? Gourmet, romantic meal for two (Eric would make these for me in university! swoon)

Grilled cheese? Eric’s fav. ‘meal’ that I made. I’m not sure what this means.

IMG 0606 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

There was a lot of love in those meals, but not much…quality. I feared the unknown with cooking, so I never really ventured out of my comfort zone.

Plus, I had crap to do. Always crap to do. Books to read. Classes to skip. MSN to chat on. Bars to hop. Heels to break in. Thanks to my sweet tooth I always enjoyed baking, but cooking never called out to me like the Betty Crocker Cake Mix in the pantry.

I was the girl who used to mix cake mix with milk and eat the raw batter straight up out of a mug. I wouldn’t make this stuff up. It was awesome.

IMG 1326 2 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

It’s funny though, when I’m really challenged, a fire is lit inside me! Eating a vegan diet forced me to learn how to cook, enjoy the process (not just end result), and use my creativity whenever possible. When I first stopped eating animal products I lived off fake meat like veggie dogs, but that got old quickly and left me yearning for unprocessed meals made from scratch. Vegan cuisine opened my eyes to many different types of foods and ingredients and ignited a passion for cooking, dare I say, as much as baking.

If I can go from eating Lean Cuisines and bagged salad to cooking meals made from scratch, I think there is hope for every fearful cook out there! The more I cook, the less intimidated I feel; especially when it comes to cooking for others.

Which brings me to our family gathering on Sunday celebrating Eric’s birthday!

Mary (left) and Brendon are visiting us from Ireland. Brendon is my mother-in-law Margaret’s brother (one of her 10 brothers!)

IMG 1346 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Every time Brendon curses he says, “Pardon my Irish”

Love this crazy man. heheh.

Let’s see, I made…Vegan Cheeze Burgers.

IMG 0575 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

I made a spin-off of Our Perfect Veggie Burger using Daiya cheese.

Changes I made to the original recipe:

• I used one entire 15-oz can black beans instead of 1 cup of beans
  • I used 1.5 cups Daiya cheese instead of 1 cup grated carrot
  • I used 1/4 cup chopped almonds instead of 1/3 cup

IMG 0581 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

The Vegan Cheeze Burgers turned out just how I was hoping! Cheezy and delish.

IMG 0672 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

I pre-baked the burgers for about 20 minutes in the oven and when Eric BBQ’d the meat, he added the veggie burgers on for the last 5-10 minutes of grilling.

I also sautéed some Crimini mushrooms to go with the burgers…my all-time fav burger topping! With a sprinkle of Herbamare of course.

IMG 0661 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Next, I made an old favourite- Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts! Oh yes, I broke out a can of pumpkin. I can’t be tamed.

Do any of you remember when I went through a vegan doughnut baking phase back in 2009? I was obsessed with making these things!

IMG 0586 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

I fell off the wagon for a couple years, but it was fun to make them again and use those doughnut pans that have been collecting dust. The mini and regular pans are from Golda’s Kitchen.

IMG 0589 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

A pumpkin doughnut isn’t a pumpkin doughnut until you cover it in melted Earth Balance and cinnamon sugar! True fact.

IMG 0590 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

I tested them again with icing sugar glaze, but the Earth Balance and cinnamon sugar mixture was by far the best! The Earth Balance added a bit of a savoury, buttery quality which was a nice contrast with the sugar.

Drooling inevitable. Eating inevitable. Breakfast? Obviously.

IMG 0599 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts

Adapted from Maple Glazed Pumpkin Spiced Glonuts and Cuisine at Home via Pastry Brush.

Print this recipe!

Yield: 24 mini or 12 regular-sized doughnuts

Pumpkin Doughnuts:

• 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar may work)
  • 6 tbsp non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh or canned pureed pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (or white)
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp lightly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter substitute), melted
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp ginger, + 1/4 tsp nutmeg (or 1.75 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

Cinnamon Sugar:

• 1/4 cup Earth Balance (or other butter sub), melted (approx estimate only)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two mini doughnut pans or two regular sized doughnut pans with Earth Balance (or other butter substitute).

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, milk, pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, brown sugar (sift if clumpy), and melted Earth Balance (or other butter sub).

3. Sift in in the dry ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and flours). Mix until just combined. I didn’t sift as I was lazy.

4. Using a ‘zip-lock’ baggie or pastry bag, spoon the batter into the bag and then secure it with the zip lock or rubber band. Twist the bag slightly and then cut off a hole at the corner to ‘pipe’ out the batter. Pipe the dough around the circle and gently flatten down with slightly wet fingers to smooth. Repeat.

5. Bake  for 10-12 minutes at 350F or until they gently spring back when touched. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully using a butter knife to remove. Place on cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes.

6. Cinnamon Sugar: Melt Earth Balance in a small bowl and dip the cooled doughnuts into butter one at a time. Transfer the dipped doughnut into a bag with the cinnamon sugar and shake until coated thoroughly. Doughnuts keep for 2-3 days.

IMG 0694 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

These doughnuts were a hit at the party! Everyone seemed to love them.

IMG 0619 thumb1   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Of course, you can leave the cinnamon sugar off, but I highly recommend it. ;)

IMG 0628 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

This is the post that never ends…

Next up, my all-time favourite vegan chocolate cupcake recipe made another appearance! Everyone always requests these when we have a family get together. I added a little POM juice and almond extract instead of almond milk and vanilla to give the frosting a bit of fruity flavour. It was decent, but I definitely prefer my Spiced Buttercream over this one.

IMG 0635 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Then I made my go-to Pico de Gallo and Guacamole. Went fast!

IMG 0636 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Appetizers (with a cheese plate from Ewa and Dave)

IMG 0656 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Finally, I made baked potato CHIPS!

IMG 0649 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Rosemary, Olive oil, and sea salt flavour. I was going to make my favourite Salt and Vinegar chips, but I wasn’t sure if everyone else enjoyed S&V, so I opted for the safe flavour. If I was making them for just myself, I would have made the salt & vinegar by a landslide! They really do taste like salt & vinegar chips.

The rosemary-olive oil-sea salt chips were the biggest hit of the night and there was not a chip to be found after we made our round.

IMG 0676 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

IMG 0675 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

My mother-in-law made her famous chicken pasta (with a vegan one for me), Dave & Ewa brought appetizers, and Mary and Gerry brought a salad. We had so much great food.

IMG 0678 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

IMG 0679 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

My plate: Vegan Cheeze burger with tomato, cuke, avocado, rosemary chips, sautéed mushrooms, salad, and I went back for some vegan pasta after I cleared my plate.

IMG 0681 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

For dessert, I had a doughnut, half a cupcake, and lots of fresh cherries.

IMG 1361 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Our niece Gabriela helped with Eric’s birthday candles. :)

IMG 1363 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

After gifts, we Skyped with some family in Ireland!

IMG 1341 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

And then Brendon broke out the shots! and more shots. and more shots. ;) I could not partake as the Baby Guinness shots weren’t vegan. I was a bit bummed about that because I love doing shots (I’m weird)…so I drank my wine like a champ instead.

IMG 1372 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

IMG 1349 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips IMG 1370 thumb   Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

Eric and I currently have an invitation to go to Ireland and stay with Mary and Brendon for as long as we want. They even said they’d give us a key to their house!

(I doubled checked this statement Monday morning after the alcohol wore off and it still stands.) Whew.

Ireland, here we come?

Heather Novak August 16, 2011

FABULOUS. Totally a carnivore but we eat lots of vegetarian every week too. Could the donuts be piped out onto a cookie sheet? *desperate*

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Yes they could be, but the hole in the middle would fill in when baking. Still would be yummy though!

Sarah with Veggie Kids August 16, 2011

Yum! I just bought a mini and regular donut pan but haven’t made anything in them yet. This looks great! Can’t wait to give ‘em a try.

Tine August 16, 2011

Waw, those doughnuts are amazing!

Living, Learning, Eating August 16, 2011

Ugh, I’ve had way too much sugar today (*tons* of Nutella, a Cadbury Milk Chocolate McFlurry, a king sized Snickers bar and I just had some Belgian waffle) – I can’t even look at the donuts now. But if I weren’t feeling ill, I’m sure they’d taste great!

Renee M (@feministrunner) August 16, 2011

Thanks for the donut recipe! I’m in love with making donuts too. These are a nice addition to my repertoire.

Dellers August 16, 2011

Oh, if you come to Ireland will you give some cookery classes?!
And did you mean to write Brendan? Much more Irish!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Yes Im sure that is how it’s written!

Char August 16, 2011

I LOVE YOU!! oh my gosh I have been craving mini donuts like craaaaaazy! Everyone is walking around with them now that it’s summer, & now….now I’m gonna go by a donut pan :D <3

Holly August 16, 2011

YIKES! Andrea, please tell me I’ve won the Blendtec! My blender just bit the dust. My teeny tiny apartment is all smokey now :/

Jessica August 16, 2011

Angela, you’re killing me! You make my eats look like bland tofu! All I can say is that you are FABULOUS!

Kiah August 16, 2011

I love Irish accents! I just listened to an entire book on tape, where the narrator had an Irish accent. The book was horrible, but I stuck with it for the beautiful, lilting cadence of the narration! haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Me too I wish I had an Irish accent!

Ellie@fitforthesoul August 16, 2011

Mmmmmm!!! Omgnnesssss I loooove pumpkin stuff and I’m glad that Fall is already here Kind of! At least in my mind and yours :P I love how you squeezed the better in there–I wouldn’t have thought of that. :D

Amy August 16, 2011

yummy!! I always get hungry after reading your blog :) Did you announce the winner of the Blendtec yet?!

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart August 16, 2011

Oh Yum! Those donuts look so good and perfect for the fall! I love pumpkin flavor!

Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks August 16, 2011

oh my lord. Can i PLEASE come live with you?!? Everything looks mouth-watering. I need to try those veggie burgers, yum!

Bethany August 16, 2011

Wow, could the pumpkin donuts look any more scrumptious?! I think not. I will be making these once I pick up a donut pan from the store. Angela, do these freeze well? Would you suggest waiting to roll them in Earth Balance, cinnamon, and sugar until after they are out of the freezer?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 16, 2011

You must have read my mind. I bought some donut pans while in the USA – and was planning on making my first batch this weekend!!!!!

Emilie August 16, 2011

All of these photos make it look like you had a very successful cooking day indeed! Bravo!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life August 16, 2011

Mmmmm donuts!! I need a donut pan! I love me some cinnamon-sugar topped donuts

Abby White August 16, 2011

Oh my! I have got to make those doughnuts. They look amazing as well as all other other food. Thank you for inspiring me to cook!

Elizabeth August 16, 2011

I was always a baker, too – hated the cooking. Then I started clean eating and I love the whole process now! Tomorrow I’m off to buy a doughnut pan!

Debi August 16, 2011

Found your blog after I was diagnosed with High Cholesterol/anemic/pernicious and otherwise..?. ugh. so..i have been eating clean for 2 months. what a novel idea. so, i am a newbie.. my question. IS cane sugar/brown sugar…healthy for you? on a clean diet? What is the best sugar or is there such a thing? thanks for your blog. (and those doughnuts are looking good…) I am of Irish decent..went to Scotland/wales/england..Hubby had to go to hospital and get his knee drained (and then went home and got a total knee)..missed Ireland..must go back! We went on the Med. cruise last Nov. and LOVEd VENICE! we want to go back. I need to feel better so we can travel again.

Margaret August 16, 2011

The rosemary chips look divine. I’m completely addicted to Herbamare and Trocomare. :)

aisha August 16, 2011

I have been wanting to do something a little different with my potatoes…can’t believe I haven’t made potato chips yet! Weekend snack, here I come!

Heather @ Bake, Run, Live August 16, 2011

Yum…what a delicious looking meal (and desserts)! Ok, my must try are the potato chips and the doughnuts (those look oh so yummy)!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 16, 2011

That food looks amazing- you are so talented!

Aoife O'Leary August 16, 2011

Yes, come to Ireland! Its hard to be a vegan here but I’m sure we’ll make you welcome anyway ;)

Love the blog!

Kathy August 16, 2011

First thing on my to-buy list? A donut pan :)
You guys should seriously go to Ireland if you can! Then blog and/or video the experience! Going to Ireland sounds great ^^
Now, after I get the donut pan, time to make these cinnamon sugar pumpkin donuts, chocolate cupcakes, and w/e else on this post!

-Kathy from http://cupcakes-music-fashion.blogspot.com/ :)

Charlie August 16, 2011

I’ve seen doughnuts on a couple blogs now and I always tell myself I need a doughnut pan. Yours look so good, I placed my order on amazon right after reading your post ;).

LizAshlee August 16, 2011

I love Daiya cheese…we just tried it for the first time last week! Took us a little while, right!

Starting a little early on the pumpkin…it’s only August!!:) Funny, I have been using cinnamon a lot more the last couple weeks…fall is in the air! :)

Moni'sMeals August 16, 2011

Wow Angela, Really great recipes here. I still need to try Daiya myself and I need to buy a doughnut holder too. I love your twist on the cinnamon and sugar topping and using Pumpkin is so brilliant.

Alaina August 16, 2011

Go to Ireland!! It’s the best country!! So beautiful and the people are so nice. :-)

Nicole (akascholar) August 16, 2011

Oh my everything you cook looks delicious. I will be trying one or all of the above recipes :)
Thank you for sharing.

Amanda (Tomboy That Wears Makeup) August 16, 2011

What a fantastic blog post! Damn you are good! I recently became “raw” (about 85%) and I have become extremely passionate about raw food. So much that I enrolled to be a certified Raw Food Chef. Now- I’m serious. I AM/WAS the WORST cook ever… I could make NOTHING. Now I am so passionate about it and I’m going to teach “uncooking” classes at my local REC center:)

Zestful Lou August 17, 2011

Time to dust off the donut pans!!! If I can find them, that is.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 17, 2011

What a feast! looks amazing! great pics :)

Katrina August 17, 2011

These sound so tasty! Love the look too. Great photos!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 17, 2011

Oh dear. How in the world am I going to justify bringing a donut pan to college!?!?

Where there’s a will, there’s a way….right? ;)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 17, 2011

I love that you put the shredded “cheese” into the burgers!
And those donuts looked killer! Glad they were a hit. I need to find me a donut pan :)

Amanda August 17, 2011

I tried the original veggie burger recipe and loved it! I’ll have to give the cheesy version a try!
Reading this post made me want to throw a dinner party just so I could cook and bake and share it with people.. I may even do it! Thanks Angela!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 17, 2011

Can’t wait to try the pumpkin donuts…I’m SOOO ready for Fall!!

Page 3 of 4«1234»