Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts & Rosemary Olive Oil Chips

IMG_0619

Back in the day, I used to do everything in my power not to cook.

Bagged iceburg lettuce with dried out carrot shreds? I can learn to love it.

Microwave dinners with rubber chicken? A bit time consuming (4-5 mins!), but doable.

Skillet Sensations? Gourmet, romantic meal for two (Eric would make these for me in university! swoon)

Grilled cheese? Eric’s fav. ‘meal’ that I made. I’m not sure what this means.

IMG_0606

There was a lot of love in those meals, but not much…quality. I feared the unknown with cooking, so I never really ventured out of my comfort zone.

Plus, I had crap to do. Always crap to do. Books to read. Classes to skip. MSN to chat on. Bars to hop. Heels to break in. Thanks to my sweet tooth I always enjoyed baking, but cooking never called out to me like the Betty Crocker Cake Mix in the pantry.

I was the girl who used to mix cake mix with milk and eat the raw batter straight up out of a mug. I wouldn’t make this stuff up. It was awesome.

IMG_1326-2

It’s funny though, when I’m really challenged, a fire is lit inside me! Eating a vegan diet forced me to learn how to cook, enjoy the process (not just end result), and use my creativity whenever possible. When I first stopped eating animal products I lived off fake meat like veggie dogs, but that got old quickly and left me yearning for unprocessed meals made from scratch. Vegan cuisine opened my eyes to many different types of foods and ingredients and ignited a passion for cooking, dare I say, as much as baking.

If I can go from eating Lean Cuisines and bagged salad to cooking meals made from scratch, I think there is hope for every fearful cook out there! The more I cook, the less intimidated I feel; especially when it comes to cooking for others.

Which brings me to our family gathering on Sunday celebrating Eric’s birthday!

Mary (left) and Brendon are visiting us from Ireland. Brendon is my mother-in-law Margaret’s brother (one of her 10 brothers!)

IMG_1346

Every time Brendon curses he says, “Pardon my Irish”

Love this crazy man. heheh.

Let’s see, I made…Vegan Cheeze Burgers.

IMG_0575

I made a spin-off of Our Perfect Veggie Burger using Daiya cheese.

Changes I made to the original recipe:

• I used one entire 15-oz can black beans instead of 1 cup of beans
  • I used 1.5 cups Daiya cheese instead of 1 cup grated carrot
  • I used 1/4 cup chopped almonds instead of 1/3 cup

IMG_0581

The Vegan Cheeze Burgers turned out just how I was hoping! Cheezy and delish.

IMG_0672

I pre-baked the burgers for about 20 minutes in the oven and when Eric BBQ’d the meat, he added the veggie burgers on for the last 5-10 minutes of grilling.

I also sautéed some Crimini mushrooms to go with the burgers…my all-time fav burger topping! With a sprinkle of Herbamare of course.

IMG_0661

Next, I made an old favourite- Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts! Oh yes, I broke out a can of pumpkin. I can’t be tamed.

Do any of you remember when I went through a vegan doughnut baking phase back in 2009? I was obsessed with making these things!

IMG_0586

I fell off the wagon for a couple years, but it was fun to make them again and use those doughnut pans that have been collecting dust. The mini and regular pans are from Golda’s Kitchen.

IMG_0589

A pumpkin doughnut isn’t a pumpkin doughnut until you cover it in melted Earth Balance and cinnamon sugar! True fact.

IMG_0590

I tested them again with icing sugar glaze, but the Earth Balance and cinnamon sugar mixture was by far the best! The Earth Balance added a bit of a savoury, buttery quality which was a nice contrast with the sugar.

Drooling inevitable. Eating inevitable. Breakfast? Obviously.

IMG_0599

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts

Adapted from Maple Glazed Pumpkin Spiced Glonuts and Cuisine at Home via Pastry Brush.

Print this recipe!

Yield: 24 mini or 12 regular-sized doughnuts

Pumpkin Doughnuts:

• 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (white vinegar may work)
  • 6 tbsp non-dairy milk
  • 1/2 cup fresh or canned pureed pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (or white)
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 tbsp lightly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter substitute), melted
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 tsp ginger, + 1/4 tsp nutmeg (or 1.75 tsp pumpkin pie spice)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour

Cinnamon Sugar:

• 1/4 cup Earth Balance (or other butter sub), melted (approx estimate only)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two mini doughnut pans or two regular sized doughnut pans with Earth Balance (or other butter substitute).

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, milk, pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, brown sugar (sift if clumpy), and melted Earth Balance (or other butter sub).

3. Sift in in the dry ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, spices, salt, and flours). Mix until just combined. I didn’t sift as I was lazy.

4. Using a ‘zip-lock’ baggie or pastry bag, spoon the batter into the bag and then secure it with the zip lock or rubber band. Twist the bag slightly and then cut off a hole at the corner to ‘pipe’ out the batter. Pipe the dough around the circle and gently flatten down with slightly wet fingers to smooth. Repeat.

5. Bake  for 10-12 minutes at 350F or until they gently spring back when touched. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully using a butter knife to remove. Place on cooling rack for another 10-15 minutes.

6. Cinnamon Sugar: Melt Earth Balance in a small bowl and dip the cooled doughnuts into butter one at a time. Transfer the dipped doughnut into a bag with the cinnamon sugar and shake until coated thoroughly. Doughnuts keep for 2-3 days.

IMG_0694

These doughnuts were a hit at the party! Everyone seemed to love them.

IMG_0619

Of course, you can leave the cinnamon sugar off, but I highly recommend it. ;)

IMG_0628

This is the post that never ends…

Next up, my all-time favourite vegan chocolate cupcake recipe made another appearance! Everyone always requests these when we have a family get together. I added a little POM juice and almond extract instead of almond milk and vanilla to give the frosting a bit of fruity flavour. It was decent, but I definitely prefer my Spiced Buttercream over this one.

IMG_0635

Then I made my go-to Pico de Gallo and Guacamole. Went fast!

IMG_0636

Appetizers (with a cheese plate from Ewa and Dave)

IMG_0656

Finally, I made baked potato CHIPS!

IMG_0649

Rosemary, Olive oil, and sea salt flavour. I was going to make my favourite Salt and Vinegar chips, but I wasn’t sure if everyone else enjoyed S&V, so I opted for the safe flavour. If I was making them for just myself, I would have made the salt & vinegar by a landslide! They really do taste like salt & vinegar chips.

The rosemary-olive oil-sea salt chips were the biggest hit of the night and there was not a chip to be found after we made our round.

IMG_0676

IMG_0675

My mother-in-law made her famous chicken pasta (with a vegan one for me), Dave & Ewa brought appetizers, and Mary and Gerry brought a salad. We had so much great food.

IMG_0678

IMG_0679

My plate: Vegan Cheeze burger with tomato, cuke, avocado, rosemary chips, sautéed mushrooms, salad, and I went back for some vegan pasta after I cleared my plate.

IMG_0681

For dessert, I had a doughnut, half a cupcake, and lots of fresh cherries.

IMG_1361

Our niece Gabriela helped with Eric’s birthday candles. :)

IMG_1363

After gifts, we Skyped with some family in Ireland!

IMG_1341

And then Brendon broke out the shots! and more shots. and more shots. ;) I could not partake as the Baby Guinness shots weren’t vegan. I was a bit bummed about that because I love doing shots (I’m weird)…so I drank my wine like a champ instead.

IMG_1372

IMG_1349 IMG_1370

Eric and I currently have an invitation to go to Ireland and stay with Mary and Brendon for as long as we want. They even said they’d give us a key to their house!

(I doubled checked this statement Monday morning after the alcohol wore off and it still stands.) Whew.

Ireland, here we come?

1 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 16, 2011

omg these look amazing! Joe and I were just talking about handing out apple cider donuts as favors for our wedding in October, but now I may need to suggest pumpkin donuts!

2 Danielle @ Dish'n'dash August 16, 2011

I just ordered a doughnut pan and can’t wait to try out the recipe! And the black bean burgers. And the cupcakes.
I think I’ll have to have a dinner party so I have an excuse to make all this food.
Definitely go to Ireland! Such a beautiful country, so much to see, especially outside of Dublin, and the people I met were incredibly kind. If you can, go to the Dingle Peninsula – it was definitely my favourite spot on my trip.

3 Melissa August 16, 2011

Those doughnuts (among everything else) look AMAZING! I can’t wait to make them… although I do have to say they’ll have to wait a little while because I’m not quite ready to give up on summer and start with the “fall” foods yet!

4 Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop August 16, 2011

Oh my goodness, those look dangerous. Pumpkin and donuts are my two favorite things. I’m going to have to make these ASAP!! Genius.

5 kalli August 16, 2011

yum! please send these over soon! i agree about the cooking thing. vegan or just healhty cooking takes some work but it can be quite joyful :)

6 Melissa August 16, 2011

What a spread!!! I haven’t stopped thinking about these doughnuts since I saw the picture on facebook! I will be stealing my mini donghut pan back from my mom this week :)

7 marla {family fresh cooking} August 16, 2011

Erik is the luckiest guy to have you. Seriously. OMG with those donuts and the greasy bag. Love it!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

hahah you know when you see a greasy bag it’s gotta be good?

9 Courtney August 16, 2011

Everything looks so delicious! I just ordered a doughnut pan so I can make those yummy doughnuts! :-)

10 Monique (@AmbitiousKitch) August 16, 2011

Wow, these look incredible. Pumpkin is one of my favorite ingredients. I think I could eat it year round. It makes everything moist and delicious.

Great post. Where did you get your donut pan from? Love it.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

I got them from Golda’s Kitchen: http://www.goldaskitchen.com/

12 Leighanna August 16, 2011

These look positively scrumptious. My mouth watered just looking. If this isn’t a reason to go out and buy a doughnut pan then I don’t know what is.

13 cathy August 16, 2011

happy belated birthday to eric! (we should have sung a second verse of happy bday on saturday eve!).
wow, you’ve come a long way in your cooking and baking journey, angela! i really like this: “There was a lot of love in those meals, but not much…quality.” now you’ve got both!

14 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com August 16, 2011

The pumpkin donuts sound perfect for fall! I’ll be making lots of these when the weather gets a touch cooler. Thanks for sharing!

15 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com August 16, 2011

Also, I’d like to follow up by saying that you do such a wonderful job showing people that they can eat great without eating animal products. All it takes is a touch of effort and some creativity and you can eat like a queen- your recipes are truly inspirational!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Thanks Jen, what a lovely thing to say!

17 Krissie J August 16, 2011

I love making mini doughnuts! I’m adding this recipe to my collection!

18 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 16, 2011

Ooooh, those donuts are PERFECT for fall!! These actually make me a little less sad to see summer go :-)

19 shel August 16, 2011

ahh.. I’ve been waiting for that chip recipe! can’t wait to go to the Farmer’s market on Thursday for some potates!!

20 Beth August 16, 2011

I’m buying a donut pan today so I can make those donuts! Yum! Everything else looks good too! And I’ve been dying to go to Ireland for a long time. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

21 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 16, 2011

These are so cute Ange!!! They remind me of the mini donuts that we have at the St Jacob’s Farmer’s Market here – but vegan and SO much more healthy! I’d be completely dredging mine in cinnamon sugar. I’m sure your family loved these! And I’m on the same page as you with the sauteed mushrooms – the best topping ever!!

22 Lauren August 16, 2011

I love the “Pardon my Irish” comment….. My parents always say “Pardon my Fremch”! Haha…..so funny! If those donuts would ship well, I’d beg you to mail me some :D Yum!

23 Julie @ Shining From Within August 16, 2011

So.much.good.looking.food. I’m drooling in my sports bra. That seems so wrong…but so right. I’d rather make donuts than go to the gym any day of the week.

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 16, 2011

Oh my gosh, we went to Ireland in May and tried baby guinness shots for the first time. So good and sooo cute :)

25 Meredith August 16, 2011

Wow, that all looks sooo good!

26 Ashley August 16, 2011

You must go to Ireland!!! I cannot wait til the day that we can go back! What a feast you made. Your family has got to LOVE coming to your house for parties + dinners. Mushrooms are probably my favorite burger topping as well. :) The doughnuts look so thick and puffy…yumm

27 Sharon August 16, 2011

WOW!! Made your veggie burgers this weekend…throwing all other recipes away. They are fantastic and trust me I feel I’ve made every recipe out there. YOU ARE GENIUS:)

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Glad you like them Sharon!

29 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 16, 2011

Haha I am ALWAYS covered in flour post-baking ;)

30 Girl in the pink August 16, 2011

So many deliscious things in this post!

Where can I got one of those donut pans?! Ive never seen them?!

31 chloe @ 321delish August 16, 2011

those donuts look SO delicious. And I love that they are fallesque!

32 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 16, 2011

Been waiting for this recipe since the weekend! :)

33 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 16, 2011

This makes me so ready for fall. These look amazing!

And I used to hate cooking so much. I still don’t come up with fantastic recipes all too often and keep things ridiculously simple, but its fun trying new thigns that before I never would have.

34 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} August 16, 2011

This looks like a fabulous birthday feast! I’m so not ready for fall yet, though, so put away the pumpkin! ;-)

35 Jess August 16, 2011

I will most definitely be making those doughnuts. I love that they are baked!

36 Cait's Plate August 16, 2011

Oh my gosh – just when I thought it wasn’t possible to crave Fall anymore you went ahead and made these :)

They look INCREDIBLE!

37 Genki August 16, 2011

Guinness isn’t vegan!? Who knew…

This all looks delicious. They are lucky to have you looking after them. And yes, come to Ireland! And do a reader meet up?

38 Mushrooms Canada August 16, 2011

What an impressive meal Angela!! Sauteed mushrooms are a MUST on my burgers as well…
– Brittany

39 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 16, 2011

Baby Guinness!!! We discovered those in Ireland last year (much to my demise)! you have to take them up on the offer – it was one of the best trips I’ve taken so far.

I want to plan a trip to Canada for doughnuts now! :)

40 Nicole @ Giraffelegs August 16, 2011

those donuts literally have me foaming at the mouth…yummm

41 WIERDGREENMAN August 16, 2011

I MUST make those doughnuts! Especially with all the canned pumpkin I’ve got lying around…

42 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 16, 2011

Yay come to Ireland! I’ll show you around :)

Anything with cinnamon gets my vote!

43 rhody downey August 16, 2011

The donuts look fabulous…Do you think the donut recipe would work in a muffin tin?

44 Rebecca August 16, 2011

LOVE this post! I feel the same way about cooking…wanting to eat healthy foods and make them delicious has made me an everlasting chef! What a feast you had…I’m definitely breaking out the doughnut pan and my stash of pumpkin to make those…perfect introduction to fall!

45 Maria August 16, 2011

I need a muffin tin, stat!

Looks like a great party and don’t you love the Irish? My fiance goes to Dublin for work a lot and just loves it there! I’m planning on heading with him one of these days.

46 Maria August 16, 2011

Make that a donut pan, not muffin tin :)

47 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 16, 2011

Whoa. Burgers and chips….I’m going to have this on the brain until the weekend! Anytime carrots are substituted with cheese, you know it’s going to be fabulous :)

48 Balancing Sylvia August 16, 2011

It looks like you all had a blast! Is it just me or are the foreign family members usually the most fun? My mom’s side is all from Puerto Rico and when they get together the pina coladas and rum shots just flow and flow. I’m way excited to try those dougnuts, I really am drooling over here :D

49 The Teenage Taste August 16, 2011

Mmmmm…these put Krispy Kreme to shame! They look absolutely fabulous, Ang! :-)

50 Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 16, 2011

Those look great, and I think I have everything there.

Now, if I don’t have a donut pan, could I squirt it straight on the sheet? Drop it into ball-shapes? Hmmm.

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

you probably can, but they will likely turn out like this one on the left: http://ohsheglows.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/img-1720.jpg ;)

52 Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 16, 2011

Ha ha!! Somehow, that mis-shapen one is adorable!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

It was my fav :)

54 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious August 16, 2011

What a great dinner! I can’t wait to try those donuts!! I’ve never donuts before and I think that a mini donut pan is definitely on my wish list now!!!

55 Rachael August 16, 2011

As a reader of your blog in Ireland, I would recommend bringing a raincoat:-) But you will love it here. If you could get Irish people more into pumpkin it would be great, suprisingly hard to get here and those doughnuts look amazing!!!!

56 Claire August 16, 2011

I used to never cook as well. But similar to you, now that I am vegan I find cooking to be more of an exploration and less of a chore. I love trying new grains and veggies and preparing things in new ways!

57 Danielle N @ Beauty Lite August 16, 2011

I want to eat every. single. thing. you mentioned above!! I might have to go on a baking/cooking spree very very soon!

58 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) August 16, 2011

Oh my. I almost drooled all over my keyboard. It looks so delicious! Specially the doughnuts… yum!

59 Stephanie August 16, 2011

Wow, that looks like so much fun! Can’t wait to try your vegan burgers…and I’m now so tempted to get a donut pan and try those donuts! Hehe…

Also, glad I’m not the only girl out there who likes doing shots… ;)

60 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles August 16, 2011

Those pumpkin spice doughnuts are a yummy-looking fall preview! I look forward to pumpkin every year =)

Make sure you take lots of pics *when* you go to Ireland (an offer like that can’t be turned down!)…I’ll be taking that trip vicariously through you, haha!

61 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat August 16, 2011

The first time I made donuts in my mini donut pan, it never occured to me how on earth to get the batter in it without making a giant mess. Thank goodness for plastic baggies! LOL. Can’t wait to make these – pumpkin baking in my oven makes my kitchen smell like fall, and I”m SO ready for fall!!

62 Kirby {Colors of Honey} August 16, 2011

hold the phone! those look amazing! must make some!! xo

63 Jenny August 16, 2011

Your posts are just… so much fun. Always. Or at least smile-inducing!

I’m still terribly afraid of cooking for anyone else… I seem to keep telling myself that I have strange tastebuds and so no one else will like what I cook. I know it’s silly and probably not true… but it’s still hard to get over it!

If those cinnamon sugar doughnuts taste anything like those cinnamon sugar soft pretzels that you can get from Auntie Anne’s, then that recipe is going to the top of my “recipe bucket list”, I swear.

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

those sound good!! I can’t wait to make the pumpkin garlic knots again… http://ohsheglows.com/2010/10/21/itty-bitty-garlic-pumpkin-knots/

65 Donna August 16, 2011

You’ve outdone yourself. Those doughnuts look amazing. Printed recipe. Off to kitchen!!!!

66 Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 16, 2011

Well this just convinced me I need a doughnut pan pronto :)
Looks like you had so much fun with family and friends!

67 kaila @ healthy helper! August 16, 2011

OMG best meals ever!?!?! I think YES! Everything looks AHMAZING!!!!

68 Jenny @ Train for Wellness August 16, 2011

I love family gatherings! My side of the family is from Newfoundland so it’s always a blast. Of course we only get to see them every once in a while since we live on the opposite coast now. I am craving pumpkin now…

69 patti farnan August 16, 2011

OMG my mouth is watering over those donuts!!! Anything with pumpkin makes me happy!

70 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) August 16, 2011

What a ridiculously beautiful & scruptious looking spead Ange! I am seriously impressed. Everything is homemade?! You rock my world !

On ‘excuse my Irish’: That had me seriously lol-ing ;)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

haha every second line is ‘excuse my Irish’

72 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 16, 2011

What a feast! One thing I want to do is start throwing more dinner parties… I know after a few it’ll get easier, plus they are just so much fun! I’m excited for another one of your chip recipes, although salt + vinegar would be my first choice too!

73 Shannon ~ My Place In The Race August 16, 2011

Oh man, everything sounds (and looks) so amazing!! :P

74 Heather (heathers dish) August 16, 2011

What a party!!! I love the mini donuts…they are seriously adorable and now I’m craving all things pumpkin!

75 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe August 16, 2011

Wow. I don’t think I can go another day without a donut pan. And I am definitely starting to pine for fall flavors, so pumpkin is sounding heavenly right now!

76 Katie August 16, 2011

Do the chips get soggy? or do they stay crispy? I want to make them for a picnic but I have to make them the day before because otherwise I would be too rushed on the day. Would this work?

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

I’m not sure as they didn’t last long! They were gone in 30 mins…lol.

78 jenna August 16, 2011

Amazing post Angela! There isn’t a time of year when pumpkin and nutmeg aren’t welcome in my belly. I’m off sugar (and on apple cider vinegar) due to a recurring scalp FUNgus I picked up in Ghana. Have you tried coconut butter instead of the margarine?

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Nope I havent tried that, but goodluck if you do!

80 Bev Weidner August 16, 2011

What. A. Great. Time. !

81 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 16, 2011

Haha I think I have to agree with you when you said you’re weird for liking shots. I hate shots with a fiery passion! :P

BUT I think we’re in agreement on the deliciousness of those donuts. I’m tempted to run out and buy a donut pan right now so that I can make them!

82 Ally C August 16, 2011

I second the “amazing post!” I am absolutely in the transition from “immediate gratification” meals (that frankly aren’t gratifying) to properly cooking! Right now I’m making a recipe here or there and it still seems like a big deal to get the ingredients and actually do it. I’m at home with my parents because a tornado hit my rental house and even they don’t really cook and get surprised when I attempt something new. I’m moving into an apartment this week and get to (!) restock my new kitchen from scratch. I *am* going to learn to cook fresh, healthy food for myself. To determination and regaining my “freedom”! :D

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Thanks for your Ally! Im sorry to hear about the rental house. Goodluck with the new place and happy cooking!

84 Amber K August 16, 2011

What a fun time! I am slowly working on becoming a cook. I can cook, but I don’t really consider myself a “cook” because I’m still trying to expand on what currently seems like a limited amount of items. I want to be able to cook without needing a recipe in front of me! I am just starting to be able to not need a recipe for meals that I have made a million times. I just like having the backup right in front of me so I can be sure I’m doing it right!

85 Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 16, 2011

I know this is a horrible comparison but those donuts reminded me of the litte mini cinnamon sugar donuts that you can get at the fair! I used to love those! In addition, donuts plus pumpkin?! Sounds like a definite fall winner to me! :)

86 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 16, 2011

Looks like so much fun! The doughnuts and chips look absolutely amazing. I have to try them!!

87 Laura August 16, 2011

What a fun celebration!
Ireland would be amazing, you should take them up on that offer for sure :)

88 katie@ KatieDid August 16, 2011

What a blast of a night! I love taking shots too hahah, it’s always fun. Interesting that there’s alcohol that isn’t completely vegan, I had no idea.

89 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 16, 2011

Looks like you guys had a GREAT time. I’ve been avoiding bringing pumpkin into my kitchen. I’m not ready to accept that Fall is just around the corner. Great job on the doughnuts. I’ve been trying to make gluten-free doughnuts for awhile now with coconut flour. I will be successful, one of these days. And when I am, I will add the cinnamon sugar. Mmm like the mini doughnuts at the Calgary Stampede. Man those are delicious!

90 melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day August 16, 2011

Sounds like a great night.. and the food looks amazing!

91 kris | iheartwellness.com August 16, 2011

I think I love you more right now…..holy cow donuts!!

Xxoo

92 Kate August 16, 2011

pumpkin….a touch of fall..sigh.. pumpkin can sure make fall seem exciting!

93 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 16, 2011

I can’t get over all the glorious food in one post. WOW!!!

The potato chips alone would be enough for my hubs to do anything I’d ever want him to do. That is HIS dream food right there.

My dream food…ahhh, well, between a chocolate cupcake and donuts slathered in butter and cinnamon sugar…yes, I have hit nirvana.

And you vegan donut making craze of 09. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was *this close* to buying donut pans back then. I think you officially pushed me over the edge with these.

I love how EASY they seem…unlike making real bread with yeast and rising and kneading…that scares me! These…excite me. Hugely :)

Gorg photography too!

94 Kathryn August 16, 2011

I dream about going to Ireland. I will go…thinking Christmas next year maybe.

Your party posts always inspire me. I’m expecially thrilled about using the piping bag for the baked doughnuts because I’ve always used a spoon and fingers and made a giant mess!

95 Heather Novak August 16, 2011

FABULOUS. Totally a carnivore but we eat lots of vegetarian every week too. Could the donuts be piped out onto a cookie sheet? *desperate*

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Yes they could be, but the hole in the middle would fill in when baking. Still would be yummy though!

97 Sarah with Veggie Kids August 16, 2011

Yum! I just bought a mini and regular donut pan but haven’t made anything in them yet. This looks great! Can’t wait to give ’em a try.

98 Tine August 16, 2011

Waw, those doughnuts are amazing!

99 Living, Learning, Eating August 16, 2011

Ugh, I’ve had way too much sugar today (*tons* of Nutella, a Cadbury Milk Chocolate McFlurry, a king sized Snickers bar and I just had some Belgian waffle) – I can’t even look at the donuts now. But if I weren’t feeling ill, I’m sure they’d taste great!

100 Renee M (@feministrunner) August 16, 2011

Thanks for the donut recipe! I’m in love with making donuts too. These are a nice addition to my repertoire.

101 Dellers August 16, 2011

Oh, if you come to Ireland will you give some cookery classes?!
And did you mean to write Brendan? Much more Irish!!

102 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Yes Im sure that is how it’s written!

103 Char August 16, 2011

I LOVE YOU!! oh my gosh I have been craving mini donuts like craaaaaazy! Everyone is walking around with them now that it’s summer, & now….now I’m gonna go by a donut pan :D <3

104 Holly August 16, 2011

YIKES! Andrea, please tell me I’ve won the Blendtec! My blender just bit the dust. My teeny tiny apartment is all smokey now :/

105 Jessica August 16, 2011

Angela, you’re killing me! You make my eats look like bland tofu! All I can say is that you are FABULOUS!

106 Kiah August 16, 2011

I love Irish accents! I just listened to an entire book on tape, where the narrator had an Irish accent. The book was horrible, but I stuck with it for the beautiful, lilting cadence of the narration! haha

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 16, 2011

Me too I wish I had an Irish accent!

108 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 16, 2011

Mmmmmm!!! Omgnnesssss I loooove pumpkin stuff and I’m glad that Fall is already here Kind of! At least in my mind and yours :P I love how you squeezed the better in there–I wouldn’t have thought of that. :D

109 Amy August 16, 2011

yummy!! I always get hungry after reading your blog :) Did you announce the winner of the Blendtec yet?!

110 Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart August 16, 2011

Oh Yum! Those donuts look so good and perfect for the fall! I love pumpkin flavor!

111 Kristi @ Sweet Cheeks August 16, 2011

oh my lord. Can i PLEASE come live with you?!? Everything looks mouth-watering. I need to try those veggie burgers, yum!

112 Bethany August 16, 2011

Wow, could the pumpkin donuts look any more scrumptious?! I think not. I will be making these once I pick up a donut pan from the store. Angela, do these freeze well? Would you suggest waiting to roll them in Earth Balance, cinnamon, and sugar until after they are out of the freezer?

113 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 16, 2011

You must have read my mind. I bought some donut pans while in the USA – and was planning on making my first batch this weekend!!!!!

114 Emilie August 16, 2011

All of these photos make it look like you had a very successful cooking day indeed! Bravo!

115 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life August 16, 2011

Mmmmm donuts!! I need a donut pan! I love me some cinnamon-sugar topped donuts

116 Abby White August 16, 2011

Oh my! I have got to make those doughnuts. They look amazing as well as all other other food. Thank you for inspiring me to cook!

117 Elizabeth August 16, 2011

I was always a baker, too – hated the cooking. Then I started clean eating and I love the whole process now! Tomorrow I’m off to buy a doughnut pan!

118 Debi August 16, 2011

Found your blog after I was diagnosed with High Cholesterol/anemic/pernicious and otherwise..?. ugh. so..i have been eating clean for 2 months. what a novel idea. so, i am a newbie.. my question. IS cane sugar/brown sugar…healthy for you? on a clean diet? What is the best sugar or is there such a thing? thanks for your blog. (and those doughnuts are looking good…) I am of Irish decent..went to Scotland/wales/england..Hubby had to go to hospital and get his knee drained (and then went home and got a total knee)..missed Ireland..must go back! We went on the Med. cruise last Nov. and LOVEd VENICE! we want to go back. I need to feel better so we can travel again.

119 Margaret August 16, 2011

The rosemary chips look divine. I’m completely addicted to Herbamare and Trocomare. :)

120 aisha August 16, 2011

I have been wanting to do something a little different with my potatoes…can’t believe I haven’t made potato chips yet! Weekend snack, here I come!

121 Heather @ Bake, Run, Live August 16, 2011

Yum…what a delicious looking meal (and desserts)! Ok, my must try are the potato chips and the doughnuts (those look oh so yummy)!!

122 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 16, 2011

That food looks amazing- you are so talented!

123 Aoife O'Leary August 16, 2011

Yes, come to Ireland! Its hard to be a vegan here but I’m sure we’ll make you welcome anyway ;)

Love the blog!

124 Kathy August 16, 2011

First thing on my to-buy list? A donut pan :)
You guys should seriously go to Ireland if you can! Then blog and/or video the experience! Going to Ireland sounds great ^^
Now, after I get the donut pan, time to make these cinnamon sugar pumpkin donuts, chocolate cupcakes, and w/e else on this post!

-Kathy from http://cupcakes-music-fashion.blogspot.com/ :)

125 Charlie August 16, 2011

I’ve seen doughnuts on a couple blogs now and I always tell myself I need a doughnut pan. Yours look so good, I placed my order on amazon right after reading your post ;).

126 LizAshlee August 16, 2011

I love Daiya cheese…we just tried it for the first time last week! Took us a little while, right!

Starting a little early on the pumpkin…it’s only August!!:) Funny, I have been using cinnamon a lot more the last couple weeks…fall is in the air! :)

127 Moni'sMeals August 16, 2011

Wow Angela, Really great recipes here. I still need to try Daiya myself and I need to buy a doughnut holder too. I love your twist on the cinnamon and sugar topping and using Pumpkin is so brilliant.

128 Alaina August 16, 2011

Go to Ireland!! It’s the best country!! So beautiful and the people are so nice. :-)

129 Nicole (akascholar) August 16, 2011

Oh my everything you cook looks delicious. I will be trying one or all of the above recipes :)
Thank you for sharing.

130 Amanda (Tomboy That Wears Makeup) August 16, 2011

What a fantastic blog post! Damn you are good! I recently became “raw” (about 85%) and I have become extremely passionate about raw food. So much that I enrolled to be a certified Raw Food Chef. Now- I’m serious. I AM/WAS the WORST cook ever… I could make NOTHING. Now I am so passionate about it and I’m going to teach “uncooking” classes at my local REC center:)

131 Zestful Lou August 17, 2011

Time to dust off the donut pans!!! If I can find them, that is.

132 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 17, 2011

What a feast! looks amazing! great pics :)

133 Katrina August 17, 2011

These sound so tasty! Love the look too. Great photos!

134 Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 17, 2011

Oh dear. How in the world am I going to justify bringing a donut pan to college!?!?

Where there’s a will, there’s a way….right? ;)

135 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 17, 2011

I love that you put the shredded “cheese” into the burgers!
And those donuts looked killer! Glad they were a hit. I need to find me a donut pan :)

136 Amanda August 17, 2011

I tried the original veggie burger recipe and loved it! I’ll have to give the cheesy version a try!
Reading this post made me want to throw a dinner party just so I could cook and bake and share it with people.. I may even do it! Thanks Angela!

137 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 17, 2011

Can’t wait to try the pumpkin donuts…I’m SOOO ready for Fall!!

138 Sarah S. August 17, 2011

AMAZING post! Made me drool, made me chuckle, made me get all warm and fuzzy for my own family! Your family is beautiful, and your food looks fantastically delicious! You had me at pumpkin donuts, haha :) Thanks for brightening my Wednesday!

139 Ali August 17, 2011

Reading that you’re breaking out the pumpkin made me so excited! I love fall and can’t wait to start making pumpkin everything! <3

140 Katie Steere August 17, 2011

Definitely go to Ireland if you have the chance! I just moved home after studying abroad there for two years and I miss it like crazy. It’s a truly magical place.

141 Rhonda August 17, 2011

Looks like all had an amazing time together and the food looked delish!!!!

142 DORIS @vanillacocoberry August 17, 2011

wooow! everything looks amazing!! Im drooling in front of my laptop right now.

P.s.: two days ago I was at Moes at Universal Orlando because you mentioned it in one of your posts and I remembered hehehe…it was surprisingly delicious!! loved it to be honest. maybe it was because I was starving and so exhausted after such a long day walking around and standing in line lol. a post about our food at Moes will be up soon on my site :D

143 Kaylee August 18, 2011

make it to Greystones and eat at The Happy Pear (in county Wicklow)! I’m currently there doing an internship in prep for opening a vegan bakery back in the States. This place is a café, bakery, organic and local grocery, and juice bar. amazing place with some damn healthy food. you must check it out!

144 Michaela August 19, 2011

omg! you don´t have a brother whom I could marry to be part of your wonderful family?? I even used to live in Ireland and I LOOK Irish, so maybe that helps? Your family seems awesome and you look so happy. Must be the good food ;)
where in Ireland do they live? If the two of you make it there, make sure to visit West-Cork, the most beautiful part in Eire. Palm trees, sandy beaches… Looks AND feels like you are in the Carribbean!

145 Emily August 20, 2011

the donuts are in the oven ;) can’t wait to try them!

146 DG August 22, 2011

Just wanted to let you know I made these last night but used real milk and butter instead of almond milk and earth balance, and they were awesome, even without the cinnamon sugar glaze. I was too tired to do that last night but maybe some of the leftovers will get special treatment.

147 Ranelle August 24, 2011

any idea on how to make these doughnuts gluten free? i would love to make them for an upcoming family trip! they look delicious :)

148 Brittany *Sparkles* August 29, 2011

I want to come to your party! lol the food looks delicious — and I love cake donuts and cinnamon sugar used to be my favorite but since I found out what terrible ingredients most donut shops use I’ve stayed clear… will definitely try whipping up some of your donuts as soon as it feels more like fall here in TX!

149 Victoria August 29, 2011

I can’t wait to try the donut recipe!! Anxiously awaiting my donut pan delivery!

150 deisegirl August 29, 2011

Ha ha, once the shots come out all bets are off! *hic*. Think you’d enjoy a trip to Ireland – especially with Eric having such hospitable relatives – but eating out as a vegan would be more a challenge I’m thinking. I don’t eat out a lot but then I am just TERRIBLE for questioning the waiting staff about what’s in the food.

I am never happier than when I’m just pottering around my kitchen trying out one (or five!) new recipes. Which is kind of bad sometimes because I have a history of eating disorders. Then again, people with EDs often tend to be foodies at heart anyway :/ I wish I had more time to cook and appreciate good food because I usually end up in a rush and it can be a challenge to make sure I’m eating the right things.

151 vera August 29, 2011

oh glory be – i’m in the middle of a cleanse/fast but when appropriate i’m so going to make a labor day dinner of this. everything and i mean everything, looks positively divine!

152 Kimberly August 29, 2011

Maybe you’ve answered this before, but what is herbamare ?

153 jackie hatch! August 29, 2011

I absolutely <3 this post!!!!! I need to try all these recipes!!!!!

154 Ashley Walker September 1, 2011

I know I’m late to the party, but the piping in a ziplock bag to get the batter in the mini doughnut pans is genius. I will definitely be doing this, as I am going through my own mini doughnut obsession. :-D

155 Jenn September 19, 2011

Made your Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Donuts last weekend for a dinner party….they were a huge hit with everybody!! Of course I waited until they were devoured to mention they were vegan…they couldn’t believe it! Thanks so much.

156 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

thats great Jenn!

157 Jamie October 7, 2011

Just found your website a few days ago and I am totally impressed. I have booked mark several things and made a few already. Tonight I made these donuts……amazing! The recipe was very simple and quick to put everything together. They are so moist and bursting with flavor. Thank you so much for these delicious recipes. Your story, lifestyle and cooking is such an inspiration to me :)

158 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2011

Thank you Jamie, I’m happy you enjoyed the doughnuts!

159 Whitney May 16, 2012

Hey Angela– I was just reading through several of your older posts today and wanted to say how impressed I am with all the food you always prepare for your family and friends! I recently switched to a vegetarian, mostly plant-based diet (some dairy and eggs occasionally), and have had a lot of resistance from family and some friends when it comes to trying new foods. I LOVE to cook and bake, and enjoy hosting company, but I no longer want to prepare meat-based meals.

I’m curious about how your family and friends typically respond to your foods (particularly things like veggie burgers, or veganized “traditional” meals), and how you deal with those picky unhealthy eaters? I’m having a hard time not taking offense when even my husband isn’t a huge fan of some of my vegan meals that I enjoy (I use LOTS of your recipes! Love them!). Thanks!

160 Sara June 16, 2012

I just made the pumpkin doughnuts, and my first thought was “you can’t imagine how good these are!” I thought I had prepared myself, but these doughnuts are a direct slice of pumpkin/cinnamon heaven

161 Dalia August 23, 2012

The pumpkin donuts were ridiculously good. Awesome recipe.

162 Abby@ Totes Delish Blog September 17, 2012

These are AMAZING!! I made them yesterday and gave them away at work. Everyone said “Just quit, this needs to be your career!”. Thanks for providing amazing vegan recipes, I’ve loved all of them!

163 RoZann October 3, 2012

These look yummy. My husband and I recently started a whole-food, plant-based lifestyle and I’m so happy to have found your site. I thought my foodie days were over, but your story and web-site is like a ray of hope. I’ve already made two batches of your chocolate chip cookies and tried your vegan mac and cheese and love them both. Can’t wait to try some doughnuts.

164 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2012

Aw thank you so much! Enjoy the recipes :)

165 snenny October 6, 2012

Made the doughnuts today – so so good! I tried them both sugared, and with a caramel glaze. Amazing both ways!

166 Tammy October 12, 2012

My littleone & I just made the pumpkin donuts….THEY ARE PERFECT!!!! So easy & yummy! They are great with powdered sugar and cinnamon too. Thanks for the great recipe… love them all!

167 Evelyn October 31, 2012

Oh my… I’m not really a donut fan but these donuts are AMAZING!!! I just made them this morning for halloween and now I’m addicted, it turned out to be the best vegan recipe I have ever tried. No one in my family could even tell they were vegan and everyone loved them! Thank you so much, definitely a keep. By the way I didn’t use the cinnamon sugar because they were already really sweet and delicious :)

168 Katie November 15, 2012

Hi Angela!
Just found your awesome blog while I was looking for a vegan donut recipes. I tried the pumpkin and the plain vanilla ones dipped in sugar and they both turned out great! Cant wait to try the rest of your recipes:)
I also want to say that I really admire you for sharing your story and creating this blog. I can sincerely relate to everything that you have discussed. Diagnosed with anorexia and obsessive exercise when I was 19 yrs old and it has been a constant battle ever since. Learning to cook healthy foods and becoming a vegetarian has gotten me through the never ending struggle and brought me to a more peaceful and healthy state of mind. Keep up the great work!! I will be reading!!!!!

169 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

Thank you Katie, that means a lot to me! All the best to you.

170 Joanna December 12, 2012

I am making 150 of the pumpkin donuts using mini muffin pans for a friend’s wedding! What is the best way to store them without them getting soggy, losing shape, losing cinnamon sugar? Refrigerator?

171 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 14, 2012

Hey Joanna, Wow that sounds like quite the baking endeavor! Good for you. I am not sure how these store. Our batch didn’t last long as we had a bunch of family over to enjoy them. I think the longer the cinnamon sugar sits, the more it melts into the doughnut so Im not sure how you would prepare it in advance? Maybe bake the doughnuts and then coat in cinnamon sugar just before serving?

172 Misty January 13, 2013

Made these today and they disappeared fast! Brought some over for my in-laws and they loved them, too. I’ve been making vegan baked goods every weekend for a few months now, and everyone is surprised and amazed at how delicious this way of baking can be. :)

173 Dalia February 24, 2013

This awesome recipe is a family staple. Today I replaced all the flours w/ oat flour (just oats blended in my food processor) and it turned out beautifully. Everyone gobbled them up w/o glaze or powdered sugar.

174 Cortney March 26, 2013

Hello! I am a new follower to your blog and love it already! I’ve tried a couple of your recipes and they have turned out great..they were even non-veg husband approved. :) I really want to try the doughnut recipe but I don’t have a donut pan. Do you think they could be made into balls and put into the oven? Or is there another way to try them? I’m hoping to make them for Easter!

175 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Cortney, Thank you so much for your kind words. :) I would suggest using a muffin tin – they will bake into mini muffins :) goodluck!

176 Paulee September 12, 2013

I just made your vegan/gluten free choc chip cookies, they were AMAZING!! Seriously, I ate 15 at once.

Do you have a gluten free option for these??? Please say yes!!

177 Paulee September 12, 2013

Sorry, I meant do you have a gluten free option for the mini doughnuts??

178 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2013

I’m sorry I don’t have one yet Paulee!

179 Gretchen January 3, 2014

I just made the mini donuts but modified the recipe to be gluten free. So yummy!

The modifications were to replace the regular flour with 1/3 cup coconut flour, 2/3 cup oat flour and 1/3 cup of all purpose gluten free flour. Wonderful texture and flavor!

180 lisa c January 13, 2014

i made the donuts and they were like the most perfect thing ever!! subbed earth balance for coconut oil & reduced the sugar bc i was rolling it in sugar anyways! posted a pic on my instagram @oatmealobsessed in case you were wondering(;

181 Laura November 2, 2014

How did you store the donuts? We tried an air right container and they next day they were a bit soggy. Should I have done something different? They were amazing though! Yum!

182 Bernadett November 24, 2014

Hi, This is the funniest food post I have ever read :)) I can’t tell how much I enjoyed it. Such good writing, such good food! And such fun to have with family! Keep up the good work :))) I just might get a doughnut pan to make these pumkin doughnuts too!

183 Vanessa January 4, 2015

This donut recipe was so good! My kids loved them… I didn’t have a donut pan so I rolled up little balls out of aluminum foil and placed them in the center of each donut. Donuts came out just as nice. Wish I could post a pic

184 Kari October 17, 2015

I tried the cinnamon sugar pumpkin-spiced donuts. I think they’ taste great, but I would recommend adding more pumpkin to the mix as they really don’t taste like pumpkin at all. Thanks for the recipe!

185 Jill November 11, 2015

Best doughnuts ever! My friend and I made them and when my daughter (9) tasted them, she said “best doughnuts ever.” We are going to make them as an activity during her 10th birthday party later this week!