Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

August 24, 2011 UPDATE!

Hey guys! It was brought to my attention yesterday that my new blog posts are not showing up for some people. This was likely due to a caching plug-in that we installed last weekend.
For those not seeing new posts- you will need to clear your cache in YOUR browser.

How to clear cache in firefox: http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/How%20to%20clear%20the%20cache

Internet explorer: http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=15141

Safari: http://support.verio.com/documents/view_article.cfm?doc_id=4069

Let me know if this works by dropping me a note on my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/ohsheglowsblog Thanks!

IMG 1278 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Recently, Jonnie Karan, owner and CEO of Thrive Juice Bar, generously invited us to a party at his café to thank us after a recent trip and review of his restaurant. The party turned into a birthday bash featuring all kinds of delicious vegan foods new to the menu at Thrive. Sign me up!

IMG 1270 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Cathy, Angela, Gen, Will, Dale, Sara, Matt, Nina, Kevin, Kate, Robyn, Jenny, Cathy, Eric, and I all celebrated Angela and Eric’s birthdays, Thrive style!

IMG 0569 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Jonnie shut the place down for us! wlEmoticon openmouthedsmile1   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar Or should I say, he opened for us! How amazing that Jonnie, Stephanie, and Sarah gave up their Saturday night to host this party- on the house. Who does that?

IMG 0567 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

I love the modern and sleek look of the café wlEmoticon smile   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar It’s all stainless steel, white, and green.

IMG 7939 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

IMG 1311 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Upon arriving, we were brought out cocktails!

The Kale Mojito was made up of kale, lime zest/juice, coconut water, and sweetened with organic cane sugar! On the right, the Strawberry-Blueberry-Mango with Mint. Mmm.

IMG 0511 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar IMG 0514 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Both were incredible, but of course I was partial to the kale mojito and Eric the Berry!

IMG 0507 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Fresh veggie platters with in-house herbed marinated olive tapenade,  jalapeno hummus, roasted red pepper hummus and flax seed crackers were served next.

IMG 0509 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Then, wait for it…

IMG 0526 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Vegan Falafels made up of red lentil and bulgar served on endive spears (which are lined with an in-house made artichoke tapenade) served with quinoa tabbouleh and topped with arugula (there were black and white sesame seeds and a lemon vin drizzle too). Party in my mouth.

IMG 0522 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Interestingly, they were doughy in an addicting sort of way (not crispy like traditional falafel) and the flavours were spot on. It was my favourite food of the entire night! I might have to recreate these babies at home! I doubt they would taste as delicious as these were, but a girl can dream.

IMG 1273 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

They must have sensed my obsession because they sent me home with some! I may have stuffed one in my face on the drive home.

IMG 0516 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Thanks Stephanie, you know how to woo a girl.

Next up, Gluten-free & vegan flatbread pizza with artichoke hearts and crushed cashews – the sauce is a fresh tomato, garlic and basil and the pizza was finished with fresh basil leaves. Perfecto!

IMG 0532 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

IMG 1274 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Jonnie, Stephanie, and Sarah were all wonderful hosts and treated us like Kings and Queens while they worked tirelessly all night long. It was such a nice thing to be treated to vegan food! That rarely happens and I appreciate it SO much.

IMG 0530 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Some birthday pics ensued…but first the birthday girl needs to get in the middle!

IMG 1259 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Much better. With Ange and Cathy!

IMG 1263 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Now with the birthday boy. Eric is of course celebrating his “first” of many 29th birthday’s if you catch my drift…

IMG 1266 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

In other news, I forgot to pose with my hand in my pocket again! :| I’ll never learn.

Then it was time for the main course, I mean, dessert. I almost split my pants in vegan/raw/GF dessert glory!

First up, Raw brownies made with Walnuts, dates, organic cocoa, and vanilla bean for the base. The icing was made up of avocado, dates, agave, cocoa, cinnamon, vanilla bean. The Raw Goldies (cute name!) were made with Walnuts, dates, and vanilla bean with a cashew butter & lucuma powder glaze!

IMG 0546 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Eric preferred the chocolate and I preferred the Goldie. We’re so not predictable.

Chocolate birthday shots! Made with pure cacoa, cashew butter, organic chocolate chips, coconut water.

IMG 0558 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Then it was time for MORE dessert. Is this real life? Do they make skinny jeans with an elastic waist? If not, I’m inventing them.

I quickly took a picture so I could inhale this Raw/Vegan Gluten-free chocolate fudge cake made with Avocado, cocoa, dates, agave, coconut oil & cacao butter.

IMG 1290 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

I was like, “damn it camera take the picture already!!!”

IMG 0547 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Finally, in a moment of desperation, I used the FLASH!

IMG 1293 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

A huge thank you to Jonnie, Stephanie, Sarah, and Becca for treating us to such a lovely evening filled with creative, delicious vegan food and great company.

And a very Happy Birthday to Ange who celebrates her birthday TODAY!!! wlEmoticon birthdaycake   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice BarwlEmoticon star   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

IMG 1307 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

See you tomorrow for a recap of Birthday party #2! It involved pumpkin spice doughnuts, vegan cheeze burgers, chocolate cupcakes, rosemary olive oil chips, and some crazy Irish fun…

IMG 1368 thumb   Birthday Fun at Thrive Juice Bar

Emphasis: Crazy Irish Fun.

Meg August 14, 2011

Adorable. I need to try Thrive. I have actually read about it some in my researches and it sounds lovely.

Amy August 14, 2011

How amazing to have the entire place to yourselves! And the food looks incredible! Happy birthday, Eric! Welcome to club 29! Heh!

Mandiee August 14, 2011

Wow! It looks like a wonderful night. I hope the birthday girl had fun; I’m sure it was such a treat to be around good food, good friends, and good times.

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh August 14, 2011

I would LOVE to eat at that restaurant!! AND I would love to have them close it down for me too! :) Lucky dogs! Sounds like a great time!!

mariah (pictures pups and pies) August 14, 2011

Oh wow, I am so jealous you have this delicious place near you! This is what I dream of- we have very limited vegan options here in Charlotte. Everything looked wonderful!

Selin August 14, 2011

Hello Angela! This post is full of fun! I really enjoy reading your blog. Since you want to recreate the vegan falafels, here comes the help :) The Vegan Falafels are actually a part of Turkish Cuisine. You can check this website for a detailed recipe -it is not my blog, I just follow it (http://www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com/2009/03/mercimek-koftesi-lentil-pate.html). They are one of my favorite foods. Good luck with the recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

Thank you I will check it out!

Sweet and Savvy August 14, 2011

I need to take a trip and find these desserts asap! :)

&& I would totally buy your skinny jean invention. ;)

Hannah August 14, 2011

Ah I want to go to Thrive so badly!!! Too bad I’m like 6 hours away. Didn’t Brandon Brazier co-found it or something? You had my jaw dropping at the picture of falafel. One day I’ll get there, one day…

Noelle August 14, 2011

HOw generous! What a great spread and party! Wish I could have been there!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 14, 2011

That looks like an incredible celebration – so much delicious food! That kale mojito is genius!

Andrea August 14, 2011

Thrive Juice Bar looks beautiful and those falafels look delish! Thanks for the ‘inside look’. :)

Sana August 14, 2011

Ahh, that looks like soo much fun and your outfit is super cute!!

Michelle Eden @ From Seed To Tree August 14, 2011

I love Thrive. I was the girl who commented on your FB page about it – looks like you had a fantastic time! What a treat!

Stephanie August 15, 2011

I’ve been craving falafels and roasted red pepper hummus for so long but I haven’t been able to make them because I’m just really lazy and peeling a mango is about as involved as I’ll get these days.

Rachel August 15, 2011

I have to try making a gluten-free pizza with artichoke and cashews at home… Yum!! All that food looks out of this world!!

Balancing Sylvia August 15, 2011

OMG that looks like an amazing food night! Dessert twice??? Sign me up! I think that’s so hilarious about Eric’s 1st 29th birthday. My hubby turns 30 this year and he says it’s his 6th annual 25th birthday party :D

hah I love that!

Adija Mugabo August 15, 2011

What a beautiful event! I think this would be my dream party :)

Cassey @ Blogilates.com August 15, 2011

I love your top!!

zorra August 15, 2011

Instead of the flash use a higher ISO-setting. ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

I did….still wasn’t looking bright enough! Im sure I could have lightened it in Lightroom post processing but I was too lazy to care at that point. :)

kristy @ kristyruns August 15, 2011

Whoa! Looks like a stellar time at an amazing place! All of the food looks delicious, but I really want that kale mojito! :)

cathy August 15, 2011

angela, it was so much fun to meet you and eric! i agree: the thrive staff totally spoiled us with all the amazing app and dessert choices. it was such a fun evening!
i hope you can get up to waterloo again in the very near future! angela and i can take you to vincenzo’s, seven shores, we can go shopping along king street…have i convinced you yet?!
sounds like you enjoyed another fun time on sunday!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

It was a pleasure meeting you too Cathy! We will def. have to do it again soon. :) I can’t wait to check out the health market too.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 15, 2011

Vegan Falafels – I dont even love falafel and I think I need those.

But seriously, the raw vegan brownies and the Goldie (great name, agreed!)….THOSE are where it’s at for me. Desserts, but of course.

I can imagine that IF that goldie was done right (and clearly it was!) that it could actually trump the brownie. Sort of like how a perfect snickerdoodle cookie could trump a chocolate chip one for me.

You and all your friends look amazing. Everyone is so pretty and lookin’ soooo good!

And happy bday to the birthday people!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

Yes I thought it trumped the brownie! It had this lovely caramel flavour that I dont taste too often these days. Mmm.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 15, 2011

Cool! I so need to try this place. The raw brownies are calling my name already ;)

Kristen Lessl August 15, 2011

Oh wow, this looks delicious!!! I just mapquested it though and it’s a good 10 hours away :( Maybe you can convince him to open one in Boston?! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

haha I’ll pass that along!

Katrina August 15, 2011

Oh wow! Everything looks so tasty, and you looked beautiful!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 15, 2011

Angela you look so pretty :)
And everything looks amazing! I want to try Thrive but the closest one is a plain ride away haha

Caitlin August 15, 2011

wow..that food looks unbelievable. i need to take a trip to canada JUST to eat at thrive!

Keri @ Blue-Eyed Runner August 15, 2011

Happy Birthday! This place looks fab! Chocolate shots?? yum!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 15, 2011

LOL it looks like I’m trying to do some sort of awkward dance in that 6th photo! :P Thanks so much for making the trek all the way here Ange!! It was so great to see you and Eric again, and I hope he had a fantastic birthday too! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

I love that pic!! Made me chuckle. Happy Birthday again my dear!

Emily August 15, 2011

Happy Birthday to Eric!!! And gluten-free vegan pizza???? Yum!! So jealous :) Looks like so much fun!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 15, 2011

I wish I could have made it out to the party! I would have loved to celebrate with Ang and meet you too. Hopefully there will be another get together soon :)

Barry August 15, 2011

Happy 29th Birthday, Eric. Interesting photos of great food and folks having lots of fun. Just finished a week of hiking in Waterton and off September 5 for a mission in Yosemite National Park, California.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

Glad to hear you are doing well Barry! Waterton looks breathtaking!! You’ll have to take Eric and I for a hike next time we are over that way.

Molly @ RDexposed August 15, 2011

I found a reason to go to Cananda.

Meredith August 15, 2011

Wow, that food looks amazing… I HAVE to go!

Shady August 15, 2011

I tried to find Thrive for my birthday lunch over a month ago and I couldn’t. I was so dissapointed. Can you explain where it is? It seems to be a bit of a hidden gem.

Thanks

Morgan @ Life After Bagels August 15, 2011

Shady (since I’ve been there before) – it’s kind of tucked away in a plaza just behind the street, call Thrive, they have the nicest staff ever and I’m sure they’ll give you the best tips for finding it!

Shady August 15, 2011

Thanks Morgan!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

We’ve missed it twice so I know the feeling! It is a bit hard to find.
Ange or Thrive staff are probably the best one to explain where it is as she knows the area quite well.

Morgan @ Life After Bagels August 15, 2011

Right now I’m envisioning maternity skinny jeans with an elastic waste … I’ll buy them if you do hahaha :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

Seriously. Every girl should have a pair of maternity skinny jeans pregnant or not. haha

Diana August 15, 2011

Thanks so for much for the giveaway! I’ve seen your recipe for the Green Monster and have been wanting to try it, and a blender would truly help that!

Beach Bum Beauty August 15, 2011

OH.MY! My mouth is watering. We don’t have anywhere like this over here, feeling quite sorry for myself now ;-)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 15, 2011

It looks like a wonderful night! Sort of want to try that berry juice…

Dawn August 15, 2011

Hi Angela!

I started going to Thrive after your last post – it’s fantastic! I’m hooked! :)

I got a LivingSocial coupon in my email box from them today too, maybe your readers could give it a try. It’s a great deal, $20 worth of smoothies for only $10 – fantastic!

Here’s the link…

Those falafels looked so yummy, I might have to head there again soon!

Dawn :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2011

Oops that link didn’t work. Is it for Thrive? Maybe I can search it :)

Dawn August 15, 2011
Dawn August 15, 2011

And, yes, it is for Thrive! :)

perfect thanks!