How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

20101016IMG 6905 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

I’m baaaaaaack and I missed you!

I’m currently suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome since my family left yesterday. Luckily, the Bachelorette and some leftover wine consoled me last night.

Saturday night, I threw a ‘Build your own pizza party’ with my family. Initially, I was worried that the pizza wouldn’t turn out and everyone would be disappointed, but my worries vanished as soon I saw the beautiful pizzas come out of the oven and the kids faces light up!

20101016IMG 6933 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

If you followed my Project Food Blog journey last year, you may know that I used to be terrified to make my own pizza dough crust from scratch. Actually, any type of bread baking involving yeast terrified me for years! I stuck to buying pre-made crusts at the grocery store. It was only when I was faced with Project Food Blog’s Pizza Challenge, that I had to face my pizza dough fears and dive right in.

20101016IMG 7264 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

That night, I tried out 5-6 pizza dough recipes right there in my kitchen with a bottle of wine. It was fabulous. I created all kinds of flavours like herb and cheeze, chocolate, and cinnamon sugar. Most of them tasted horrible, but I was learning!

20101016IMG 7288 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

After 10 trials of pizza dough, I finally conquered my pizza dough fear and I discovered that sometimes you just have to get flour in your keyboard, dough stuck in your hair, and polish off a bottle of wine until you find your groove. it’s a life mantra, really.

After talking with my family this weekend, I discovered that so many of us have this same fear about making pizza dough from scratch. Today, I’m going to show you step by step how to make the pizza dough of your dreams!

I’ll wait here for a second while you get your apron on and pour yourself some wine.

Ready?

20101016IMG 6739 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Let’s begin.

How To Make Homemade Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

Recipe –> For my whole wheat pizza dough recipe, I used this ‘Amazing Whole Wheat Pizza Crust’ by Marla on Allrecipes.com. It is rated 4.5/5 stars by 578 users! It’s my fav!

Step 1) Proof your Yeast

In a large bowl, dissolve 1 teaspoon of white sugar in 1 and 1/2 cups warm water (about 45C/110F). Stir until dissolved. Now sprinkle 1 tablespoon dry active yeast on top of the sugar-water mixture and let stand until foamy, for 8-10 minutes.

It will look like this after 10 minutes (if it doesn’t foam, your yeast is inactive!)

IMG 9410 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Step 2) Mix in olive oil and flour

Add 1 tablespoon olive oil into the yeast mixture and gently stir. Now, mix in 2 cups of whole wheat flour and 1 cup of all-purpose flour and stir until the dough starts to come together.

20101016IMG 6548 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

The dough will be very cracked and scruffy looking at this point and this is totally NORMAL! Do not fear!!

20101119IMG 0832 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Step 3) Flour the surface

Add the remaining 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour onto the counter and place dough on top.

20101016IMG 6557 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Tip: At this point, soak your bowl in soap and warm water for easy rinsing later!

20101119IMG 0929 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Step 4) Knead the dough

Now it’s time to knead the dough (for a great video tutorial, see here) until all of the flour has been absorbed and the ball of dough becomes very smooth and non-tacky. This is the point when you will feel like you did something horribly wrong because your dough looks like crap! But, trust me, it will eventually come together in 8-10 minutes of kneading!!! It really does take the full 8-10 minutes until it comes together. Shape into a ball. Once you make a few pizza doughs, you will know exactly when it’s ready.

20101016IMG 6585 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

And yes, kneading dough by hand is a workout, but we’ve never been afraid of a little work, right?

I tried a few pizza doughs with my KitchenAid stand mixer dough hook last Fall and they never came out as good as kneading by hand. There’s a reason why pizzerias still knead dough by hand!

20101016IMG 6565 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

5) Admire your beautiful ball of dough that you worked so hard on!

Your dough will look like this after 8-10 minutes of kneading:

IMG 9412 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

6) Oil the Bowl

Rinse bowl and lightly oil it. Place dough ball in the bowl and lightly move it around to coat the ball with oil. This will prevent it from sticking to the bowl as it rises.

step4oilthebowl thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

7) Let the dough rise

Place dough in the bowl and cover with a towel. Let it rise until it’s doubled in size, about 1 hour. In the summer, I just leave the dough on the counter, but if it’s cold, you might want to place it in the oven (NOT turned on) with the light on to keep it warm.

20101016IMG 6612 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

After rising, punch out the air.

20101016IMG 6895 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

8.) Second Rise

Divide dough into two balls (for 2 thin crusts) and place both on a floured surface. Allow the 2 balls to rise, uncovered, for 45 minutes.

I made a double batch of this dough recipe, so I had 4 balls at this stage!

IMG 9416 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

9) Preheat oven and Shape the dough

Preheat the oven to 425-450F. (If using a pizza stone, preheat the pizza stone for 1 hour at 450-500 F and sprinkle on cornmeal onto your pizza peel) Punch out any remaining air in the dough and then begin shaping with your hands. I like to toss it in small circles over and over to get it going. It takes a few minutes to get the dough pliable and ready to spread onto the pizza pan or stone.

20101016IMG 6705 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough 20101016IMG 6719 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

You can place your dough onto an oiled pizza pan or onto a Pizza Peel sprinkled with cornmeal if using a Pizza Stone.

Spread out the dough with your fingers until your desired shape is achieved.

IMG 9429 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Gently pinch the crust with your fingers.

20101016IMG 6739 thumb1   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

I like to spread on garlic infused olive oil onto the crust to give it flavour.

20101016IMG 6783 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

10) Add your sauce and toppings!

20101016IMG 6808 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Add your tomato, pesto, or BBQ sauce..and then sprinkle on your toppings! I used Daiya cheese on my section and most of the adults tried it and commented on how good this vegan cheese is. It’s a great non-dairy alternative!

The kids loved building their own pizzas!! So cute :)

IMG 1110 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

11) Bake until golden and cooked through

If using a pre-heated Pizza Stone, use your pizza peel to gently slide the pizza onto the stone in the oven. I highly prefer pizza stones because they give the pizza a very authentic crispy crust!!

Last Fall, I tested three popular pizza baking methods:

1) Pizza pan –> Soft crust, soft interior

2) Back of a baking sheet –> Soft crust, soft interior

3) Pizza Stone –> Authentic, crunchy crust, with soft interior

The pizza stone won by a landslide!

20101016IMG 6873 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

However, on Saturday night, we used pans to save time since we had 3 large and 4 mini pizzas to cook! It was just enough dough for everyone (I made a double batch).

IMG 1092 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

After baking for about 15 minutes, pizza perfection was achieved.

IMG 9432 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Nothing to be scared of, trust me!

Now, go on and try your hand at your own homemade pizza crust. I’m confident you can rock it!!

IMG 9439 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Pizza from scratch is always a crowd pleaser no matter who you are entertaining.

20101016IMG 6905 thumb1   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Pizza fear conquered.

20101016IMG 7128 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

Now who wants to come over for a pizza party?

20101015IMG 6342 thumb   How To Make Homemade Pizza Dough

We can have Fruit Pizza with Avocado Lime whip for dessert. ;)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 2, 2011

Delicious looking! I have great pizza restaurant in town, and they let me bring my own Daiya that they add to my pizza. Therefore, my incentive to try making dough has been low. I have always been scared to venture into bread making. Perhaps now is the time to give it a try.

Sarah August 2, 2011

Your pizzas always look so great! I have used the one you posted for the FoodBuzz competition several times. It works really well for me, but I usually have a hard time getting the dough spread out in the pan. My dough always seems to spread out and then shrink back. Has this ever happened to you or do you have any ideas what could be causing it? Maybe I’m not kneading it long enough?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

that has happened to me before! This recipe I used Saturday worked great and I didnt have any…ahem…shrinkage issues ;)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty August 2, 2011

I’ll come!!!

I make pizza at least once per week with homemade dough.

I have a MAJOR crush on pizza with hummus as the base, and not cheese (just load it with veggies)… promise it will change your life!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

I made a hummus appetizer pizza! SO GOOD!

Geosomin August 2, 2011

“sometimes you just have to get flour in your keyboard”
he hee…glad I’m not the only one :)

Molly @ RDexposed August 2, 2011

This is exactly what I’ve needed!! Thanks!

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun August 2, 2011

I really miss making my own pizza dough…nothing compares! But since going gluten-free, it’s just not the same :(

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 2, 2011

I will sooo come over for a pizza party! or have one myself! Great post, I have been wanting to try my own pizza dough for EVER :)

Olya August 2, 2011

We missed you too!
I would love to make my pizza. We ordered pizza from the “authentic” Italian pizza restaurant and it was not what I expected it to be. I guess there is just so much advantage in building you own pizza because you can put everything in it you like.

laura August 2, 2011

Baking anything with yeast always intimidates me, but you give a great tutorial!
Your pizza looks so authentic, you could sell it by the slice :)

Katherine August 2, 2011

I have always wanted to make pizza dough!

Amy@ahealthyandhappyheart August 2, 2011

I love homemade pizza dough! I never made it with whole wheat flour though.. can you taste a difference once all the delish toppings are on? I’m in for a pizza party :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

I actually prefer the taste of whole wheat but its very similar!

Veggie V! @ Veggie V's Vegan Adventure August 2, 2011

I’m affraid of yeast too! I’ve never made anything with it because I keep thinking I’ll do something wrong. I’ve never even tried to use a mix – ha ha. I did pick up a Bob’s mix the other day, which has a yeast packet, so I guess I’ll start there. Baby steps ;-)

BTW, I did a write in vote for your blog in the VegNews survey. You’re welcome! (I also voted for Glo Bakery – yhea!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2011

thanks!

Clare @ Fitting It All In August 2, 2011

Okay now that I have a step by step tutorial I have no excuse NOT to do it!

Joann August 2, 2011

Wow…that’s a very detailed look at the process. Thank you. I’ll give it a try!

jenna August 2, 2011

Welcome back Angela! I’m checking your blog as a reward for clearing out a very messy email account tonight – wahoo! Thanks for being inspiring and amusing :) Jenna

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles August 2, 2011

I’m so glad you had a fun time with your family visiting! I have the best memories of making pizza with my family ever since I was little! I’m determined to eventually have my own wood-fire pizza oven, haha!

Beach Bum Beauty August 3, 2011

Looks scrumptious and love that drinking wine is a pre-requisite! :-D

Bree August 3, 2011

Hey Ange – what brand is your pizza stone? I like the handles and definitely want to get one if that’s how you make the best pizza…if you like yours let me know where you got it – thanks!! :-)

(so far I’ve always made dough in the breadmaker…but I will definitely try from scratch now!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011

m not sure what brand it is or where it’s from…I’ll try to take a look!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. August 3, 2011

Yeah, I haven’t watched it in years either but I was for JP too. Hubby thought he was “possessive” but I thought he was a little older and of course he is possessive with all those other guys around! He seemed much less “metrosexual” pretty boy than the others. I prefer flannel shirts to hair with product. Too funny.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011

haha yes he’s def. possessive, so hopefully that wont be an issue in their relationship down the road!

Colleen August 3, 2011

I absolutely adore homemade pizza! We still beg my dad to make it occasionally. I’m glad you didn’t have any issues this time making the dough :)

(what runs) Lori August 3, 2011

This looks incredible. I love the action shots of the dough making in progress!

The toppings… oh the toppings… mmmm!

Katie August 3, 2011

What did you put on the pizza that has the green sauce? Is that pesto and tomatoes? Anyway, it looks delish and I would very much like to try it!

Liana Stelmach August 3, 2011

This looked so yummy when I saw it yesterday that I knew what was for dinner…pizza! I also loved the idea of pesto, so whipped some up and used it as the sauce base. Thanks for the recipe! The crust turned out perfect, crisp and yet still soft :) With the added bonus that it makes two pizzas, leftovers!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it Liana!

Nicole August 3, 2011

I used to use my bread machine before it died and it always came out perfect! Since then, I’ve only made it once or twice for calzones. I’ve been so wanting to have a build your own pizza party, but every weekend seems to get too busy! I saw another post today about making pizza at home and now it is going to have to be on my must-do-now list!!

Meesh August 3, 2011

I loved this tutorial!!!

Jessica August 3, 2011

do you know if you can freeze or refrigerate the dough you don’t use? And for how long?
thanks!
Love the pesto pizza. We’ve made it twice already and its my favorite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011

I know many people freeze pizza dough, I would try googling it as Im not sure on the specifics.

Sarah August 3, 2011

I’m glad you posted this- you have me believing I can make great pizza crust from scratch:-).

Amanda August 3, 2011

Wow Angela, these pizzas look pro! I too have a fear of using yeast (except in cinnamon buns, which always seem to turn out for me). I have tried making homemade pizza dough several times, never with great success, but I’m definitely going to try this recipe. Love the fruit pizza at the end – what a pizza feast!

Leslie August 3, 2011

Hi Angela, I plan to make this pizza dough for dinner tomorrow night and was wondering if the recipe would still work using all whole wheat flour? I do not have any all purpous flour and would need to go out and buy some if it’s neccesary. This is my first time making my own pizza dough so wish me luck. Thanks!! ~Leslie

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2011

I think it would be quite dense if using all whole wheat flour….let me know if you try it out though!

Leslie August 3, 2011

Thanks!! I don’t mind dense baked goods so I’ll probably try it with all whole wheat and I’ll let you know how it comes out. Either way, the delicious toppings will still be edible even if the dough isn’t :)

Jenn August 3, 2011

This looks so good and so easy that I am sharing it with my team on Sparkpeople.com!

Tori (@eat-tori) August 4, 2011

Oh, I know exactly what you mean about sometimes needing a glass of wine to help you find your groove. If I pour a glass and put some good music on things just seem to flow a little better (my favourite part about making pizza dough is punching it down. So satisfying).

heather August 4, 2011

Next, if you haven’t already, make sure to try grilling your homemade pizza! If you’re a fan of the pizza stone, you’ll probably like this. My usual route is to roll/pat out dough in a manageable size (divided into personal-sized lumps), brush some olive oil on one side, and put oil-side down on the heated grill. 3-4 min later (depending on temp), pull it off, spread sauce/toppings on the grilled side and put back on the grill until heated thru/cheese melted if applicable. Enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 5, 2011

mm great idea!

Marianne August 5, 2011

I made pizza last night, and it was a bit of a fail. I’ve made dough in the past and had success, but I tried a different combination of flours (as suggested by a customer at work), and I knew once I started kneading it probably wouldn’t turn out as planned. I cooked it up anyways, and we ate it, but I won’t be doing that again. I almost feel like I need to make pizza again just to erase that bad pizza dough experience!

JenATX August 30, 2011

WOW! thanks for the amazing step-by-step… just another reason to feed my crazy pizza cravings haha

Jaime June 30, 2012

What type of flour did you use? Or did you add spices to your dough? I can see flakes in your dough that I don’t have.

Tina July 23, 2012

This pizza was amazing! I’m definitely making it again!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 24, 2012

Hey Tina, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed the pizza, thanks for letting me know!

shawnell July 31, 2012

I love love pizza. I love finding new pizza recipes and trying them out. My husband does not like pizza as much as I do, So I only make it when I know he is not hungry or out of town. I love your blog , I will definitly have to bookmark this page. Thanks Thanks this page is making me hungry!!

Megan August 5, 2012

Hey Angela! Just wondering if this pizza dough is vegan?! I made it last night and it was soooooo good, but i’m just newly vegan (only a little over a month) and only thought about it after that the yeast is probably not vegan and i’m a little freaked out?! haha Guess we cant all be perfect.

Ps. Your blog is my life. As a young adult struggeling with self body image I am truly inspired by your story. Thank you so much! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 6, 2012

Hey Megan, Yup yeast is vegan. :) Thanks for your kind words about my blog! Goodluck to you.

lynda August 15, 2012

Did I read the recipie right that it is only 1/2 cup water? I tried and tried to get 3 cups of flour mixed in and it was a mess and my hands are sore…I had to add some water to mine and it still seems very, very dry…it’s rising now so we will see…

lynda August 15, 2012

Nevermind, after looking at it again I realized it was 1 1/2 cups …now no more flour to re-do it… guess we wont be having that tonight! GRR

Page 3 of 4«1234»