Heat Wave Summer Salad

IMG 9171 2   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Welcome to the Heat Wave of 2011. Are you melting too?

Today it’s supposed to reach 38C (100F)…and 47C with humidity! Humidity is such a party pooper. Anyone who lives in a humid climate knows what I’m talking about.

And the hair.

Oh my hair.

Just picture a tumbleweed in the Sahara that got struck by lightening and then jumped in a puddle.

hamptonstumbleweed by michaelanthony   Heat Wave Summer Salad

[source]

That’s my hair right now.

Sketchie did this when he saw me this morning. ahhh!

IMG 0271   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Thankfully, summer salads always look composed and pulled together no matter how hot it is. I love to grab some seasonal fresh fruit (or vegetables), greens, protein & grains, and mix it up with a homemade dressing. Presto magico.

Serving it with a huge margarita is highly encouraged.

IMG 9175 2   Heat Wave Summer Salad

After mixing together the chickpeas, speltberries, peaches, and berries…I felt something was missing…

IMG 9134   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Sautéed garden kale and chopped almonds did the trick. :) Of course, you can get creative with whatever you have on hand. There are no rules with salad making.

IMG 9135   Heat Wave Summer Salad

IMG 9132   Heat Wave Summer Salad

After mixing the Cinnamon Maple dressing, it all came together. Delicious and quite refreshing thanks to the summer fruit.

IMG 9138   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Ange = 1, Humidity = 647575

Hopefully kiddie pools don’t melt.

Katherine July 21, 2011

Gah that looks freaking amazing!

Jacqui July 21, 2011

Hello!
I’ve been quietly following your blog for a while now, and this is my first comment! Just wanted to say you’re a real inspiration Angela, I just went vegan about a week ago – the only reason I hadn’t already was because I’m at other people’s houses for dinner a lot and didn’t want to be a pain. Now I’ve just thought, we can make it work. Your blog has given me lots of recipes to try and made me believe in what I’m doing.
Also, I’m in Tasmania (Australia), and today we’re expected to reach a maximum of 11C, so I’d swap with you anyday! And Sketchie is THE cutest cat (well, second to mine anyway :) ) !

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011

Thanks so much Jacqui! Congrats :)

Alaina July 21, 2011

It is bah-rutal down here in Boston. Heat I’m ok with, but not this humidity. I don’t even bother doing my hair; I just throw it into a low pony tail and am done with it.

Love this salad!

Shannon July 21, 2011

Mmm, looks great! It’s between 105-110 here in Phoenix, and I’m going to Oklahoma where it’s 101 with tons of humidity. I love the photos of your cat. This looks delicious!

Sara July 21, 2011

Ang, I totally feel you in the heat. Downtown Toronto is horrendous, even my daily 2 block walk to the bulk food and produce just around the corner took double the time- dragging my sandalled feet every step of the way.

I made this salad for dinner with some substitutions (didn’t have everything needed in the fridge, and didn’t want to go out in the heat again) and it worked out great!

I substituted:
quinoa for speltberry
mangoes, plums, and a nectarine for the peaches (used up fruit in the fridge)
black beans (just cooked a batch last night) for chickpeas
and added a little bit of nutmeg.

It was INCREDIBLE! You’re right, there are NO RULES in salad making, and the weirder you get, often, THE BETTER!

Stay cool, lovely lady.

Sara

Susan July 21, 2011

Oh that cat!

Brooke July 21, 2011

This looks delicious!

Brooke Annessa

Brooke July 21, 2011

This looks delicious!

Brooke Annessa

sheelbeel July 21, 2011

I have leftover kale so this recipe is just what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Kelsey July 21, 2011

This looks incredible. I can’t wait to make it!

Stephanie July 21, 2011

I NEED TO TRY THAT DRESSING. I’m all out of maple syrup at the moment (bad Canadian) so I might sub brown rice syrup. It won’t be nearly as good but I think (hope, really) it will be edible.

laura July 21, 2011

Send some heat over to the west coast! :)
This salad looks fantastic.

Kim (The Newly Wedded) July 21, 2011

I can’t believe the heat wave is affecting you in Canada as well! Here in the midwest, it’s 110 degrees. I am dying. A salad sounds really nice – I, unfortunately, have been gorging on ice cream and pastries in this heat. I wish I could like kale… I am still not use to its taste.

Kathryn July 22, 2011

Oh wow. What kind of cat is that?

Meredith July 22, 2011

I understand the humidity thing, it’s sooo humid in Halifax right now… I was moving a bit slow on my run this morning, the humidity really affects me!

This recipe looks awesome! Serving it with a margarita sounds fantastic.

Currently enjoying a green monster, inspired by the one you posted not long ago, with mango, berries and Vega Vanilla Almondilla; I love it! I ate a little too much sugar last night, and this is definitely detoxifying :).

Heather McWhorter July 22, 2011

This sounds sooooo yummy! I am definitely going to have to give this recipe a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny July 22, 2011

The high in Texas is 103 all week….I feel your pain!
Salad looks amazing!!!!

Jessica July 22, 2011

oh yeah.. that’s my hair too. and Sketchie is so cute! lovin me some Sketchie

Amanda July 22, 2011

HAHA! That tumbleweed picture made me bust out laughing!

michelle July 22, 2011

My hair is so out of control in this humidity that I even sleep with it in a bun :( I am so making this salad on Sunday after the farmers market!

Elaine July 24, 2011

I am so interested in trying this salsd that I am going to go out and get my supplies tommorow!

Thank you so much!!

Aimee July 25, 2011

I honestly don’t know how you come up with such combinations but I’m so grateful that you share them. I just finished making it and only had a taste, but it is absolutely delicious.

Aimee July 26, 2011

Just made this and once again….FABULOUS!!! Havn’t tried a recipie yet that we havn’t all loved! Even the kids…HORAY!
Thank you so much for sharing…my life is changed for the better ever since I found your blog!!!

Melissa July 28, 2011

ohh this salad sounds super summery and delicious!! the heat wave finally broke here in the Philadelphia area…hope you stay cool!

Holly July 28, 2011

Used mango in place of peaches since it was the only ingredient I didn’t have on hand…..So Delish that I just made it again for the second time this week. Thanks!!

Marian April 19, 2012

Still tasty in the not-so-hot April in Maryland! Canned peaches made a decent sub, too. Love the cinnamon and maple syrup dressing with the fruit. I will be using that dressing again.

Elise @ Expeditions of Elise July 9, 2013

Wow I just made this recipe and I am quite satisfied! I’ve never had wheatberries before and I’m loving their chewiness. Not to mention I have some of the ripest fruit EVER going on in this salad…I may need to throw this together again for lunch with the leftovers! Thanks for a great recipe!

Diane June 25, 2014

I just made this & it is amazing! I topped everything on spinach leaves instead of kale. I also put a little olive oil & maple syrup right on the wheatberries after they cooked. Read somewhere that the flavor locks in at this time. First time cooking up wheatberries. Love the dressing too! A great dish for some hot weather here in SC!

Page 3 of 3«123