Heat Wave Summer Salad

IMG 9171 2   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Welcome to the Heat Wave of 2011. Are you melting too?

Today it’s supposed to reach 38C (100F)…and 47C with humidity! Humidity is such a party pooper. Anyone who lives in a humid climate knows what I’m talking about.

And the hair.

Oh my hair.

Just picture a tumbleweed in the Sahara that got struck by lightening and then jumped in a puddle.

hamptonstumbleweed by michaelanthony   Heat Wave Summer Salad

[source]

That’s my hair right now.

Sketchie did this when he saw me this morning. ahhh!

IMG 0271   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Thankfully, summer salads always look composed and pulled together no matter how hot it is. I love to grab some seasonal fresh fruit (or vegetables), greens, protein & grains, and mix it up with a homemade dressing. Presto magico.

Serving it with a huge margarita is highly encouraged.

IMG 9175 2   Heat Wave Summer Salad

After mixing together the chickpeas, speltberries, peaches, and berries…I felt something was missing…

IMG 9134   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Sautéed garden kale and chopped almonds did the trick. :) Of course, you can get creative with whatever you have on hand. There are no rules with salad making.

IMG 9135   Heat Wave Summer Salad

IMG 9132   Heat Wave Summer Salad

After mixing the Cinnamon Maple dressing, it all came together. Delicious and quite refreshing thanks to the summer fruit.

IMG 9138   Heat Wave Summer Salad

Ange = 1, Humidity = 647575

Hopefully kiddie pools don’t melt.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 21, 2011

I’m going to come to Canada ans cat-nap Sketchie. Such a gorgeous/adorable kitty!!!

Your salad looks fantastic – it’s ridiculously hot down here in Georgia. I had to post a smoothie Top 5 today since that’s all I can stand to had post-run there days.

VeggieGirl July 21, 2011

We have 80% humidity here in Florida…ugh!! Though we wont be as hot as you for a change- wow!!
Humidity tip for hair- if you saturate your hair with a smoothing serum (I use a generic one from Sallys) while it is still wet it doesnt let the humidity saturate it when its dry. Of there will still be a little frizzyness but it will not be nearly as bad :)

Girl in the pink July 21, 2011

Wow, I have to make this , it looks so gooood!

What kind of cat is that?! I want one!!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 21, 2011

Looks delish Angela! It’s 15 degrees and raining here in Ireland…but your salad will still taste good! :)

Lindsey July 21, 2011

That salad looks delicious! I am going to make it as soon as I can! Love the fresh berries in it and kale – which is literally exploding in my garden right now!

Katrina July 21, 2011

This salad looks lovely! Awesome recipe.

Sush July 21, 2011

Why, thank you, I believe I shall indulge…the sooner the better!
Hugs~

Rhona July 21, 2011

I know! It is brutally hot right? I am in Kitchener right now for work and it is no cooler here. I walked out of the cool hotel this morning to almost melt on the ground with the heat. I was actually shocked.
Honestly, that salad looks amazing! Pretty, colorful, low far and packed with flavors and health. Another yummy bookmarked for me, Angela.

Georgina July 21, 2011

Beautiful salad! This is exactly what we need with this heat.

Belated congrats on being nominated on Chatelaine. Voted for you! :)

ittybitsofbalance July 21, 2011

LOVE the idea of mixing fruit in! mmmm– very summery

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 21, 2011

You patriotic, maple loving, Canadian. JK New Yorkers love it too. That salad dressing looks fantastic!!

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race July 21, 2011

My hair is in a permanent ponytail until at least September :P It is so hot! Sketchie is so freaking adorable! I want to squeeze and smooch him every time you post a picture. Gah!

The salad looks delicious!

Jenny July 21, 2011

Umm what? Heat wave? Where?! … Think you could send some of that heat over to the West Coast? Maybe Vancouver in particular? Please? I don’t know what’s up with our weather, but I feel as though the seasons this past year have just been: Summer –> Winter –> Fall. I don’t like having to carry a jacket around “just in case”… when it’s supposed to be summer! :(

Such a great idea to pair the more bitter kale with sweeter fruit. Looks like such a light, yummy lunch or dinner! I’m all over any recipe that features cinnamon as a key flavour. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011

I heard on the news last night that BC has had no summer yet…. =(

Jenny July 21, 2011

That’s unfortunately very true! It’s too bad that we can’t steal a couple of degrees from your weather to knock it down a bit… and to bring ours up a bit. As much as a cold/cool summer isn’t particularly pleasant, a broiling hot one isn’t either – hope there’s some relief from the hot weather on the way for you! In the meantime, seems like you’re keeping cool with awesome recipes like this one. :) Stay cool! ( That sounds so lame, haha.)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011

Stay warm Jenny! haha

Erin July 21, 2011

Meanwhile on Canada’s west coast we’re supposed to reach a whopping 18C today…. why can’t there be a happy medium?!

BTW, this salad looks amazing :)

sam July 21, 2011

That salad looks delish and refreshing!
I hear ya about humidity. It’s supposed to be 100F here today, but feel like 110F. ICK!!! Hope you can stay cool and dry today :)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather July 21, 2011

I wish we had heat here! Just rain :( this looks super refreshing. Love fruit in salads.

Ashley July 21, 2011

This salad screams summer!! And it’s gorgeous. Love that first photo!! I think key lime donuts would pair well for dessert. You should head out our way…90* but dry as a bone!

lindsay July 21, 2011

oh this is a perfect summer salad. Very thirst quenching. Berries are a great addition. Its been 100 +F here so anything COLD and sweet is perfect!

Roz July 21, 2011

I feel for you. The heat of your area was the lead story on the news here in B.C. today. ug. Hope you are able to get some relief soon.

Carissa July 21, 2011

It hasn’t even been cooling off at night! My company is having an energy reductino initiative because of how much it’s costing to use the A/C. Yikes!
We made your choc chip cookie blizzard last night. It was perfect for the heat – no oven required and a nice icy chill to it. Yum. Thanks!

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 21, 2011

It’s kind of nice that you have heat. Here in BC it’s been on and off, and humid and then stormy when it does get hot but mostly it’s just cool, which is so weird. But I’d rather be cold than have hot and humid!
Love your salad. Greens and blueberries sounds awesome together, plus all that extra fruit! Yum! Just the kind of thing I do crave when it’s hot.

Jen July 21, 2011

I knew Sketchie was just a fancy stuffed animal! We can see his seam!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011

LOL omg I just looked and its true!

Balancing Sylvia July 21, 2011

Sketchie is absolutely gorgeous and hilarious!
This kinda weather makes me grateful for the dry heat of Arizona. 111? Not bad when compared to 103 with humidity :D The salad dressing sounds DELICIOUS.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 21, 2011

awwwh and on the west coast we are at 15 degrees today and it’s the first day of sunshine in FOREVER! Maybe we can talk to mother nature and get a happy medium?

This looks incredible as always! :)

AGS @ West With Flight July 21, 2011

“Thankfully, summer salads always look composed and pulled together no matter how hot it is.” Great sentence — great tie-in between the heat/hair/salad. Really nicely written — and true, too!!

Meredith Snyder July 21, 2011

That salad looks yummy, but what I really got excited about was the Fiestaware you put it in! I’m such a dork for that.

Namaste Gurl July 21, 2011

Wow, what a fun summer salad that is featuring in season produce! definitely making this for the family or just by myself :)
Hope you stay cool!

Hannah (Culture Connoisseur) July 21, 2011

Mmm. This is looking good! I’m definitely putting this on my menu for lunches next week!

And YES, I know what you are talking about. I live in Orlando and I feel like I’m dying. And I haven’t had a decent hair day in weeks.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 21, 2011

Um heck yes. All of my favorite things in one bowl. YESSSS

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 21, 2011

This heat wave is nuts! I just walked outside and felt like I stepped into a sauna! Hope you’re staying cool. :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 21, 2011

Haha a little bit of irony for ya…

On April Fools (either this year or last year?), you almost had us convinced that you were getting a pool. I guess this is Mother Nature’s version of a July fools joke :)

Ashley July 21, 2011

I hate humidity! Every summer when I was kid we always went to Iowa, and it was awful! I hate feeling like I need another shower right after I go outside! Good luck:) And the salad looks amazing!

Tasha July 21, 2011

Yummy looking salad!! Sketchie is absolutely precious … what type of kitty is he? (He looks like one of those cats with a wee bit of wild cat in him! So pretty!!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 21, 2011

Thanks he’s a Bengal :)

Allysia July 21, 2011

Oh man, I love fruit in salad. This looks like love. When it gets this hot out, all I want to do is eat fruit. We’re not used to the humidity here in Saskatchewan and were totally meltified lately with the 40+ weather. Though I think I prefer hot over cold!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 21, 2011

Ok the salad looks stellar! Love all the bright colors that are just POPPING off the page.

And clearly Sketchie is wanting to POP off the page. That’s a classic shot!!

The weather here in San Diego is about 72F, sunny, breezy, no humidity, no bugs, not a cloud in the sky. Move here, okay? :)

Ragnhild July 21, 2011

I just love all of your salad creations! Fruits and berries in salads is the best thing ever! This looks refreshing and good- and I love the added kale!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 21, 2011

I love this simple bean and green salad. Makes for a great light meal in the heat!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 21, 2011

I also love your kitty and his pretty markings! Is he/she a particular breed?

Andrea July 21, 2011

Oh my gosh this looks PERFECT for today! It’s like walking through soup out there! Stay cool :)

Victoria July 21, 2011

It’s 95 degrees just outside NYC. And the humidity? Oh my gosh. Your hair is a tumbleweed, mine is a chia pet. No amount of hair product or air conditioning can control this ‘fro.

Page 2 of 3«123»