Our Perfect Veggie Burger

IMG 8700   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

For the past several months, I’ve been on a quest to make a veggie burger that had everything on our wish list. I’ve probably made over 100 veggie burgers and they all came up short, either by just a tiny bit or by a landslide.

I’m always asked what I do with failed recipes and my answer is usually the same- I eat them! An imperfect veggie burger crumbled over a salad is quite tasty. Same goes for a doughy muffin crumbled over a bowl of Vegan Overnight Oats. Unless something I make is really gross, I eat it.

However, I am picky about three things:

1) The recipes that I post on the blog

2) Homemade Veggie burgers

3) Tying my running shoes before a run (I always stop once to re-tie them, lol)

Now you know. :)

IMG 8792   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Eric and I put together a ‘must-have’ list of requirements during our mission. Veggie burgers are serious business around here and we have quite a checklist. ;)

Our veggie burger must haves:

• Can’t be mushy in the middle (the problem I have the most)
  • Crispy outer shell
  • Lots of flavour from fresh herbs & spices
  • No tofu (not a fan)
  • Crunchy, chewy texture is a must
  • No cracking or falling apart (another common problem)
  • Must cook well 3 ways: frying pan, oven, and BBQ
  • Could make a grown man shed a tear of joy (ok, that was my requirement, heh)

If one of those elements is missing, the recipe is as dead to me as the burgers flippin’ on the McDonald’s grill!

IMG 8653   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

After writing about my most recent Lemon Rosemary burger fail (that drove me to make PB Crunch Blizzards), I received an email from a lovely reader named Jenny who must have known that I was one failed veggie burger short of being buckled into a straitjacket.

Jenny writes, “After reading your post today, which has me day-dreaming about cookie dough blizzards by the way, I wanted to share with you the best veggie burger recipe our family has come across (even my meat-lovin’ husband requests them from time to time!). The recipe is from the Whitewater ski area in Nelson, BC and hasn’t failed us yet. It isn’t vegan but I’m sure you can work your magic to make it so.”

Isn’t Jenny great?

IMG 8655   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

After reading Jenny’s email, I flew into the kitchen so fast my processor spun. I figured there was a 0.0002% chance they would work, so I was quite hopeful.

As luck would have it, magic did happen in my kitchen that fateful evening as Eric patiently awaited the outcome, fearing he’d be served yet another bowl of cereal.

He wasn’t. :)

IMG 8682   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

These burgers take a good 30 minutes of prep work, but the extra effort really paid off. You could also double this batch and freeze the leftovers for quick weeknight meals!

IMG 8652   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

This veggie burger ‘dough’ is so good to eat straight from the bowl! Another thing I learned during my mission: if the ‘dough’ doesn’t wow you, the burgers won’t either. Don’t be afraid to adjust the seasonings to taste.

For my first trial, I didn’t process the oats into a flour and they didn’t hold together very well when frying. For my second trial, I used oat flour instead of whole oats and they held together very well!

Before baking in the oven:

IMG 8654   Our Perfect Veggie Burger
I love my silpat, but you can also use parchment paper.

After baking for 20 mins. on each side…crispy and golden!

IMG 86551   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Our preferred method of cooking is on the skillet, fried in a bit of oil. The burgers get this crispy shell similar to a hash brown! We already have plans to fry the ‘dough’ in a skillet for breakfast.

IMG 8788   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

We also tried them on the BBQ, which also worked well. Pre-cook them in the oven for about 15 minutes first to firm them up a bit.

IMG 8666   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Then I raided the garden…

IMG 8705   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

On the side, kale chips and ketchup.

IMG 8713   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

On the burgers, we had homemade BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes. The second night, we had guacamole and pico de gallo on top- incredible!

IMG 8686   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

I hope you love ‘em too!

I think this comment from Dawn says it all:

“Throw out any of your other veggie burger recipes! Seriously. This. Is. The. One! No weird ingredients. I’m no gourmet foodie, I’m just plain jane and have regular things in my pantry and fridge and I had all of these ingredients. I added about 1 Tbsp chopped jalapeno (from a jar of sliced jalapenos). Love the sunflower seeds!! Do not over chop the black beans. I recommend mixing by hand in a bowl. I used my kitchen aid and they were too mush-i-fied. Even with my mess ups, these were very, very good. I immediately ate one from pan fried. The others I baked and will freeze. Then I will give them a try on the barbecue. Truly. I am going to remove other recipes from my Pinterest, and toss the others from my recipe box.
Thank you for making the Perfect Veggie Burger recipe!”

IMG 8704   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Don’t forget, this morning is the last chance to enter the Glo bar Giveaway! (Your comments are amazing by the way)

Alissa @ Just Eat Love July 14, 2011

Love this! So many great fresh ingredients :)

Jennifer Baldwin July 14, 2011

Hi Angela…I am going to try these … they look delicious … of course your amazing pictures making everything look good !
I have a recipe on my website that is similar … check it out …
http://healthymammas.com/2011/06/09/whitewater-veggie-burger/ (however it has eggs)
It’s from a cookbook from Canada called “Whitewater Cooks”.

Casey July 14, 2011

I made these veggie burgers last night for my brother who is visiting. He is 20 years old and works on a trail crew (ie: he eats more than anyone I have ever seen)! After eating half of the burger, topped with avocado, tomato, lettuce and catsup, he exclaimed, “this is delicious! Definitely the best veggie burger I have ever had!” Thanks for the great recipe, Angela.

With Style and Grace July 14, 2011

Love making homemade veggie burgers! This recipe sounds [& looks] incredible – think I’ll make a gluten-free version of this. Thanks for sharing!

France July 14, 2011

everything White Water is fabuulous. These look great!

Vicky July 14, 2011

Made these yesterday. The flax “eggs” gave them tons of moisture. They held together perfectly. I baked them and they were a little dry but absolutely delicious and very filling. I will fry them next time….there definitely will be a next time :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2011

glad you enjoyed them..they are AMAZING fried in a bit of oil!

Alisha Abercrombie July 14, 2011

Do you think these would freeze well? I need to find a burger I can make and freeze to bring camping. Any tips?

Gayatri July 14, 2011

Here’s the nutritional info per serving (of one) –
Cal : 232
Carbs : 23
Fat : 10
Protein : 8
Sugar : 2

I will be making a double batch and will be freezing it. Thanks for your hard work =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2011

cool thanks!

Sarah July 14, 2011

What kind of buns are those? They look amazing!

Valentina July 14, 2011

Angela I just made these and they are AMAZING!!! You definitely have perfected your veggie burger recipe, I’ve been making your vegan black bean burgers and they’re really good but these are out of the world!! Thank you so much!
PS: I loved your post on how to organise your day, very useful :)

Jenn July 14, 2011

I made these last night and they were awesome! My non-vegan boyfriend even said they were better than any burger he’d ever had! And so filling too…I’m excited that we still have six more in the fridge!

katie July 15, 2011

Now these are GOOD veggie burgers, freezer ones hold nothing to these!!

Magdalena July 15, 2011

I made them today and they are absolutely amazingly delicious!! We are taking them on our mountain hike tomorrow but I cannot resist nibbling on just another one… Thanks, Angela! :)

Alexis July 16, 2011

Made these last night and they were outstanding! Made a few changes to the original recipe by adding 4 ounces chickpeas (drained), 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes, and 1/2 teaspoon celery salt. I also substituted ground, roasted & salted pistachios for the almonds and sunflower seeds just out of personal preference. The result was magnificent! Thank you for sharing!

Alexis July 16, 2011

I also threw some corn, diced mushrooms, and diced orange bell pepper to the skillet along with the onions and garlic. (for color).

Electra July 16, 2011

Picky about tying your shoes before a run!? Stopping to re-tie!

I COMPLETELY understand! Regardless of whether I’m running, training, sprinting, doing tabata – you name it, I re-tie. And you have to tie your shoes standing up. Otherwise you get up and they’re too loose.

Never thought I’d meet another picky shoe tie-r! Keep these rockin’ blog posts up!! Love the pictures =]

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 17, 2011

soul sista! or should i say sole…sista ;)

Andrea July 16, 2011

Thank you for the great recipe! These are delicious!!!

The Healthy Apple July 16, 2011

Wow; these look incredible. Such a pretty burger!

Iris July 17, 2011

We made these here in Finland, they were perfect :-)

Carolyn July 17, 2011

I’ve also been searching for a good veggie burger to make. I’m going to try this one!

Randi July 17, 2011

I made these burgers tonight and they are FABULOUS!!!! I omitted the tablespoon of oil and the burgers were still moist. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Thanks for sharing!

Anna July 17, 2011

I am eating this burger right now….it is delicious!!! Thank you so much for an unprocessed Morningstar alternative Angela and Jenny! Also a plus that I can freeze some for later. I am working 10 hr days so I always like big batches of food I can make in advance :)

Gulcan July 18, 2011

I made the veggie burgers for the first time in my life and it worked very well! I changed the recipe a bit to use the stuff that I already at home: instead of oat flour, I used oat flakes (half) and oat brans (half). Also added a bit more soya and EVOO to stick them better together. I substitued the sun flower seeds with pumpkin seeds. For my own taste, I added more cumin, paprika and red hot chilli flakes.

And I am very proud to announce that after two failures I finally managed to make your vegan dinner rolls. They went so well together with veggie burgers! Thanks a lot, Angela :)

Magda July 18, 2011

The burgers rock :D Since I didn’t have breadcrumbs and didn’t care to process oats into flour, I used chickpea flour and spelt flakes instead. It worked great :) They are so chewy and crunchy and delicious. Thanks for the recipe

suzanne July 18, 2011

You show them on a dehydrator tray. Has anyone tried dehydrating them for a more raw diet?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Nope thats not a dehydrator tray its a Silpat :)

suzanne July 19, 2011

Had to look that up. New to me.
Making the veg burgers today. Can’t wait!

Alexandra July 18, 2011

This looks so delicious! I hate buying pre-made frozen burgers, too much soy!

P.S. I don’t know if you’re aware/care about this, but there are meat ads on your site! :\ http://img.skitch.com/20110718-p5wwrt9p7khwe1sr26ayi6yxak.jpg

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Yes I do care about that. I’ve had them remove them a couple times before but it looks like they are back. Just emailed them again, thanks for letting me know (I dont see the meat ads on my PC for some reason)

Matti July 18, 2011

These burgers were amazing! I have been following your blog for a few months now and have gotten some of my favorite recipes from you (your tomato basil sauce is life changing!). After reading about all of your trials with these burgers, I knew I had to try them just because of all the work you put in! They did not disappoint. The texture and flavor were perfect. Thank you so much!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Hey Matti, So glad you enjoyed them…I always worry that they wont work for others! We’ve made them 3 times now and I love them more each time :)

Laura July 18, 2011

absolutely delicious! so glad i took the time to make these!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 18, 2011

Glad you like them! =)

Meg July 19, 2011

I can’t wait to try these! I was planning on making them for a dinner party, but one of my friends as a nut allergy. Do you think they would be okay without the chopped almonds?

grace b July 19, 2011

This was my first try at making veggie burgers today and these were really good! I ended up making very thick burgers so I only had 4–I ate 1.5 little ones with a salad and some gluten-free chips for lunch. They were really good, except that I would probably use just a pinch of seasonings instead of whole teaspoons next time. Can’t wait to repurpose them this week!

Thanks so much for a non-intimidating receipe Angela!

Kathryn July 19, 2011

Made these over a weekend for a friends and family bbq. Everybody was in love. I wish I had made a double, wait – TRIPPLE batch. Can’t wait to make more!

Tess July 20, 2011

I made these today and they were excellent!

Nina (SLO Foodie) July 20, 2011

Made these the other night and thought they were fantastic! I used a dill yogurt spread and veggies to top it. These are going to be a staple in my freezer :)
Photo proof on my recent blog post, too:

Tina July 22, 2011

I made these last night and they are AMAZING!! My favourite veggie burgers ever. We didn’t have almonds so I used all sunflower seeds, and my husband is GF so we used more ground oats instead of bread crumbs (we don’t keep GF breand crums around).

The best part about them is the crunchy texture. In attempting my own recipes, I’ve only ever achieved mushy bean lumps. I baked yours, and they got a gorgeous brown crust. I will make these FOREVER.

Thanks :)

Kim July 23, 2011

I made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious, but they didn’t stay together like your’s did. I followed the recipe and cooked them in the skillet. Any suggestions?

Mary July 24, 2011

This veggie burger is SO GOOD. I made them last night and I am going to make another batch today to freeze and eat whenever. The nuts in it really make the flavor and texture. This is so much fresher and tastier than getting the ones from the store, and easy to make too. I’m sending the recipe to my mom!

Amber B July 24, 2011

I am in the process of making these babies right now! I am super excited. The dough was yummy and I can hardly wait to eat the finished product! Thanks for sharing.

Pia July 24, 2011

Tonight I tried your perfect veggie burgers…..I must say….pretty perfect. I must make really thin burgers ‘cos one recipe for me makes 12 burgers. Biggest test will be how they stand up after they have been frozen, as that is where most of the veg burgers have failed me.
I am hoping for the best ‘cos these were beyond good!!

Vanessa July 26, 2011

I didn’t have any oat flour so I used garbanzo bean flour also to increase the protein. I also used pumpkin seeds instead of sunflower seeds and toasted all the nuts. These were so incredible! They made even picky eaters happy.

Rebekah July 26, 2011

Thank you! I just made this recipe and these are the best veggie burgers i have ever tasted. I have had no luck finding any that didn’t get all soggy. I actually subbed walnuts for the sunflower seeds because i didn’t have any and they still turned out wonderful! :) keep up the amazing work!

Bekah

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 26, 2011

glad to hear that =) Enjoy!

Janet July 27, 2011

It is hard to find a veggie burger everyone likes, but this one fit the bill, even my meat loving daughter liked them and wanted seconds!! Thanks for sharing.

Page 4 of 13« First...«23456»...Last »