Our Perfect Veggie Burger

IMG 8700   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

For the past several months, I’ve been on a quest to make a veggie burger that had everything on our wish list. I’ve probably made over 100 veggie burgers and they all came up short, either by just a tiny bit or by a landslide.

I’m always asked what I do with failed recipes and my answer is usually the same- I eat them! An imperfect veggie burger crumbled over a salad is quite tasty. Same goes for a doughy muffin crumbled over a bowl of Vegan Overnight Oats. Unless something I make is really gross, I eat it.

However, I am picky about three things:

1) The recipes that I post on the blog

2) Homemade Veggie burgers

3) Tying my running shoes before a run (I always stop once to re-tie them, lol)

Now you know. :)

IMG 8792   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Eric and I put together a ‘must-have’ list of requirements during our mission. Veggie burgers are serious business around here and we have quite a checklist. ;)

Our veggie burger must haves:

• Can’t be mushy in the middle (the problem I have the most)
  • Crispy outer shell
  • Lots of flavour from fresh herbs & spices
  • No tofu (not a fan)
  • Crunchy, chewy texture is a must
  • No cracking or falling apart (another common problem)
  • Must cook well 3 ways: frying pan, oven, and BBQ
  • Could make a grown man shed a tear of joy (ok, that was my requirement, heh)

If one of those elements is missing, the recipe is as dead to me as the burgers flippin’ on the McDonald’s grill!

IMG 8653   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

After writing about my most recent Lemon Rosemary burger fail (that drove me to make PB Crunch Blizzards), I received an email from a lovely reader named Jenny who must have known that I was one failed veggie burger short of being buckled into a straitjacket.

Jenny writes, “After reading your post today, which has me day-dreaming about cookie dough blizzards by the way, I wanted to share with you the best veggie burger recipe our family has come across (even my meat-lovin’ husband requests them from time to time!). The recipe is from the Whitewater ski area in Nelson, BC and hasn’t failed us yet. It isn’t vegan but I’m sure you can work your magic to make it so.”

Isn’t Jenny great?

IMG 8655   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

After reading Jenny’s email, I flew into the kitchen so fast my processor spun. I figured there was a 0.0002% chance they would work, so I was quite hopeful.

As luck would have it, magic did happen in my kitchen that fateful evening as Eric patiently awaited the outcome, fearing he’d be served yet another bowl of cereal.

He wasn’t. :)

IMG 8682   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

These burgers take a good 30 minutes of prep work, but the extra effort really paid off. You could also double this batch and freeze the leftovers for quick weeknight meals!

IMG 8652   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

This veggie burger ‘dough’ is so good to eat straight from the bowl! Another thing I learned during my mission: if the ‘dough’ doesn’t wow you, the burgers won’t either. Don’t be afraid to adjust the seasonings to taste.

For my first trial, I didn’t process the oats into a flour and they didn’t hold together very well when frying. For my second trial, I used oat flour instead of whole oats and they held together very well!

Before baking in the oven:

IMG 8654   Our Perfect Veggie Burger
I love my silpat, but you can also use parchment paper.

After baking for 20 mins. on each side…crispy and golden!

IMG 86551   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Our preferred method of cooking is on the skillet, fried in a bit of oil. The burgers get this crispy shell similar to a hash brown! We already have plans to fry the ‘dough’ in a skillet for breakfast.

IMG 8788   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

We also tried them on the BBQ, which also worked well. Pre-cook them in the oven for about 15 minutes first to firm them up a bit.

IMG 8666   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Then I raided the garden…

IMG 8705   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

On the side, kale chips and ketchup.

IMG 8713   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

On the burgers, we had homemade BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes. The second night, we had guacamole and pico de gallo on top- incredible!

IMG 8686   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

I hope you love ‘em too!

IMG 8704   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Don’t forget, this morning is the last chance to enter the Glo bar Giveaway! (Your comments are amazing by the way)

Namaste Gurl July 13, 2011

You master everything, my friend! Big huge kuddos to you for that :)
These look amazing and contain all my favorite ingredients :) Now they just need some avocado, bbq sauce and a good burger bun :)

Jane July 13, 2011

Upon that first burger shot my thoughts were…must make burgers. Veggie burgers ARE so hard to make well. When I get back from a trip I leave for tomorrow I’m making this recipe a kitchen priority!
Glad you liked all the comments from yesterday. All 1,000 or so of them! Very exciting!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 13, 2011

These definitely get the award for prettiest veggie burgers I’ve seen! Gorgeous! This page has been bookmarked–your requirements are similar to mine and I agree that they are difficult to achieve. I have hope for this one!

Baking 'n' Books July 13, 2011

Is there something to sub in for the tamari and miso?

Looks great. – also do you MAKE home-made ketchup??

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

You could probably use a tbsp of water and more salt as a sub for the Tamari.
We use organic PC ketchup at the moment. I use tomato paste sometimes too.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 13, 2011

“recipe is as dead to me as the burgers flippin’ on the McDonald’s grill!” >> harsh words! But, I totally understand where you’re coming from. There’s some recipes I do over, and over, and over. Like gluten free pancakes. Still haven’t been able to master that one on my own.

Also, I’m sure if someone had an issue with oats in general (as some celiacs do unfortunately) they could try quinoa flakes! They’re pretty comparable to oats in burger type recipes.

Roz July 13, 2011

Great looking burgers!! And I just made kale chips last night. Never thought to put ketchup on them. Hmm…must now make more and give it a go. All the best Angela.

Tara July 13, 2011

that’s so funny that you ended up with a recipe from the whitewater cooks. I was visiting a friend in BC a few months ago and she showed me her favourite cookbook – this one! I immediately copied several recipes and the veggie burgers was one of them. I have made them a few times and love them more and more each time! if you ever come across the cookbook take a browse through. there’s lots of other great ideas in there :)

dana July 13, 2011

These are my all time fav burgers! I made hundreds of them for our wedding in Montrose, BC – about an hour from Whitewater – so excited to see them on here! :)

Kristina July 13, 2011

Seriously?!! I am from Trail!!

Paige is Running Around Normal July 13, 2011

I made a veggie burger using both oats and bread crumbs the other day, but it fell apart because I didn’t smash the beans enough first.
This one sounds amazing! I’m not of sauteeing veggies before adding them to the mix. I woner if they would hold up the same if I added crushed garlic and the onions finely chopped, but not sauteed…

Kristina July 13, 2011

I have both of the Whitewater cook books and both are a great investment. They have tons of vegetarian recipes that could easily be adapted to be vegan. I have made those exact veggie burgers, frozen the rest of the batch and used them within the next 2-3 months and they still were AMAZING! Easily some of the best homemade veggie burgers you will ever find.

Suzanne July 13, 2011

I am sold!! ….And totally trying out this recipe this weekend!

There is something about the hot summer weather that has me giving up my daily hot oatmeal in lieu of craving cool overnight oats with berries and refreshing green smoothies upon rising every morning. That, and an amazing veggie burger with all the fixins whenever I work up an appetite. I must say that your recipe post came at perfect timing :)

I can’t wait to make these for my family to try. Usually the idea of “veggie something” makes most meat-eaters cringe at the idea of some strange-looking textured soy with ?? ingredients. I guess I don’t blame them… I am truly excited when I make a delicious vegetarian or vegan dish that even the most carnivorous types find they surprisingly love. Success! It really is the best thing sharing your recipes and other delicious whole food-based dishes with friends and family. Thanks for the inspiration Angela!

Kelly Kurcina July 13, 2011

Hi Angela,
I am so sorry to post this here, but I did not see an email contact on your blog. I LOVE your blog and read it daily. On another blog, I found a recipe for no bake homemade crunchy peanut butter cups and from what I can remember she sprayed the muffin tins first, then put chocolate chips in the bottom, then mixed up a gluten free mix of peanut butter, brown rice crispies and some other ingredients (wish I remembered)! =( So it was like an upside down peanut butter cup. Any help or ideas on how to find, create this recipe??
Thank you!!!
Kelly Kurcina

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

I have some PB cups on my recipe page that I adapted from the Kind Diet cookbook :) They are yummy!

Lindsey July 13, 2011

Can’t wait to make these – I always have the “mushy” in the middle issue too!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 13, 2011

These look labor intensive but delicious!

Maria @ Scandifoodie July 13, 2011

This looks perfect, I can’t wait to try this!

Amanda July 13, 2011

Those burgers look amazing! I think we will try them sometimes, we will just have to find something to substitute the soy sauce since I can’t have soy.

Christina July 13, 2011

Whenever I make veggie burgers at home I always add nuts or seeds so they don’t get mushy! I can’t stand taking a bite into a veggie burger and when you look down you’re only eating a bun beacuse the entire “burger” fell apart and fell onto the plate.

Your burgers look amazing though! Love the colors :) Better than any black or brown flesh burger any day!

Kristie July 13, 2011

Those look insane! I’ve been wanting to make a good homemade veggie burger lately (LOVE your spelt ones by the way) but I have so many saved and curious to try that it’s become overwhelming. This one just made it to the top of the list. As soon as I get all the ingredients my food processor is working its magic!

Brittany July 13, 2011

Wow these look fantastic! I am going to make these tonight!

coffeeaddict July 13, 2011

Have you tried these shoe laces: http://www.xtenex.com/lace-choices.php
As for veggie burges, I make mine with green lentil, lots of parsley and shallot instead of onion.

Ellie@fitforthesoul July 13, 2011

Mmmm this sounds good! I love it when it’s chewy and crispy as well :)

Erin @ Pieholes & Plyos July 13, 2011

This recipe has a date with my Vitamix–grinding oats into flour for your v. burgers will be my first enticing opportunity to use the dry container.

Heidi July 13, 2011

I’ve been looking for a veggie burger recipe for a while now, but was scared off by the ingredients and texture (my list of requirements is similar to yours…though I’d be happy if my meat-eating family would at least taste them!). These sound yummy…can’t wait to try them! Thanks Angela!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 13, 2011

YES! these are fantastic…and so are you ;) love them! cant wait to try!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 13, 2011

Lahhhhve! Freezable is the best :)

Sarah @ Sharing Bananas July 13, 2011

Thank you! Thank you! I am slowly transitioning back to a vegan diet after a couple years of eating meat again, and burgers are one of the things that I have a hard time giving up. I am so excited at the prospect of a tasty veggie burger that my husband might actually eat! :)

Kathryn July 13, 2011

Think pinto or white beans would work? I have a bunch of them….
Also – OMG where do you have that kale chip recipe? We are crashing the in-laws pool this weekend, I figure the least I can do is bring some delish food!

meghan July 13, 2011

I made these tonight and they were AWESOME! Even my dad liked them. Please don’t ever stop blogging. I don’t know what I’d cook without you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

awesome!! :)

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts July 13, 2011

Oh how exciting :D I am also quite picky about veggie burgers, but unfortunately I also have different tastes to my partner (he doesn’t like nuts, or oats). I could see myself trying to modify this recipe to suit both of us though, especially if I process some of his disliked ingredients to unrecognisable form!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 13, 2011

I’ve been on the hunt for a good veggie burger recipe because I’ve tried so many frozen kinds that were flops. These look perfect and I’m so glad to see they don’t contain any nuts that I’m allergic to. :D

Meredith July 13, 2011

These look sooo good, definitely making them for my family’s camping trip next week! I’ve been on quite a quest to find the perfect veggie burger as well, I find they always crumble and don’t hold together well! These look like they’d do the trick!

P.S. My mom bought me this book today, the recipe in it look great!

Amy July 13, 2011

If you were going to freeze them, would you do it with the mixture raw or cooked?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2011

hmm good question! Im sure both ways would work. I’d be inclined to pre bake them for 15 minutes, cool, then freeze. Then cook them til cooked through when you need them again. I will have to try this next time!

Stephenie Zamora July 13, 2011

Ooooh! I’m really excited to try this recipe. We’ve been looking for some new ones to try and the burgers + kale chips looks DELISH!!! Thank you! xo

JennyC July 13, 2011

Oh myyyyyyy!!!!!! I made these tonight since i had almost all of the ingredients available and they were pretty darn good!!!! My husband was surpised that a veggie burger could taste this good he asked me to pack up a couple of patties for him to take to work =)

I subbed egg whites, pepitas (i ran out of sunflower seeds), spelt flour, soy sauce and the unwanted end piece of an eziekel loaf. This recipe is a keeper. Thank you Angela! I’ll be making a full batch this weekend ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 14, 2011

good stuff!!

Sush July 13, 2011

I was introduced to your blog by my beautiful DIL, Laura @ http://thespecialtreatsoflauraslife.blogspot.com/. I have loved it ever since. We are getting ready to go to the beach and I think one of my other DIL’S that is newly expecting will love this recipe! I’m going to whip up a bunch to have for lunches when anyone is looking for something good, tasty and healthy!

Thanks~

Kathleen July 13, 2011

I made these tonight and they were terrific!

Lisa @ Happy Puppy Lucky Lady July 13, 2011

Those veggie burgers DO look perfect!! I’m soooo glad this recipe meets all your requirements, that means it’s definitely yummy I’m sure!! It looks great! I just read the ingredients and noticed we have almost everything currently, so looks like we will be making these burgers ASAP! Thanks again for sharing!!

Lou July 13, 2011

the picture of your vegan burger is on tumblr, and is getting many notes. people love it! but i’m kinda angry at the fact that there’s no credit to ohsheglows :(

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 14, 2011

I’ve never made veggie burgers as I’ve always been afraid they’ll crumble. I’ll have to try these!

Beach Bum Beauty July 14, 2011

Showed hubby the pics of these and he said ‘YUM’ – couldn’t have said it better myself :-)

Page 3 of 12«12345»...Last »