Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

IMG 8752 2   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Saturday night, Eric and I were on our nightly walk and we passed by our neighbours sitting outside enjoying a pitcher of Sangria. They invited us over for a drink and we couldn’t think of a reason not to join in on the fun! Drinks led to more drinks, hours flew by, conversation flowed, and we found ourselves home long past midnight with a wonderful evening behind us.

Anxiety tends to make me over-analyze everything…what if this happens, what if I say this, what if…but I realized when I do things spontaneously, I don’t have time for all that crap to go through my mind. I barely had any anxiety which is unusual for me when getting to know new people. There was something magical about doing something on the spur of the moment. It happened so quickly my anxiety didn’t have a chance to say boo!

It was a powerful learning experience and I was quite proud of myself for living in the moment. Overtime, these small decisions can lead to a big change.

Weekend Revelation #1: Stop over-analyzing so much and JUST DO IT!

Weekend Revelation #2: Raw Buckwheat Porridge.

IMG 8756   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

You knew food had to be involved, right? :)

On Saturday morning, I was cruising You Tube vegan recipe tutorials, like any cool gal would do when procrastinating a workout. My Degree from the You Tube School of Culinary Arts should be arriving anytime now.

IMG 8729   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I came across a video for Raw Buckwheat Porridge and I instantly knew it was an idea I could have fun with!

According to Renegade Health, Raw Buckwheat Porridge is simply soaked buckwheat groats processed with agave, cinnamon, and vanilla to make a raw porridge. There isn’t any cooking involved and it’s incredibly easy and nutritious!

IMG 8732 2   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I thought it would be fun to amp up this mixture and turn it into something that was similar to my beloved Vegan Overnight Oats. I added chia seeds to boost the nutrition + volume as well as almond milk for even more volume. In the original recipe, the serving sizes were very calorie dense and tiny so I knew I would have to increase the volume to satisfy myself physically and visually. I’d rather eat 1 cup than a 1/3 cup, any day.

After that, I loaded on the fruit with a sprinkle of chopped nuts to finish it off.

The result was one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. It’s also gluten-free, vegan, and packed with nutrients like calcium, protein, fibre, magnesium, and omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.

IMG 8745   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

IMG 3760   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Here’s how I made it:

Soak raw buckwheat groats in water for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Strain and rinse the groats well with water. The groats will have a slimy texture, but that is perfectly normal!

IMG 8717   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Set aside 1 cup of groats (to stir in later). This will give your creamy porridge a nice chewy texture.

IMG 8732   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

In a food processor or blender, add your soaked buckwheat groats (except for the reserved cup), almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, chia seeds, sweetener, and a pinch of salt. Process until almost smooth or leave it chunky, whatever you like.

IMG 8722   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Stir in the reserved 1 cup of groats for a nice texture..

IMG 8735   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Stir in optional chopped banana or simply adjust sweetness to taste.

IMG 8736   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

You can stop here (it tastes amazing already!) or keep going like I did.

Add your desired toppings: Fruit, nuts, seeds, granola, nut butter, coconut, dried fruit, etc. The sky is the limit.

IMG 8733   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

IMG 8741   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Refrigerate leftovers and enjoy for quick and portable breakfasts for the next few days!

IMG 8780   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I was really surprised by how much I loved this porridge. I’ve had some bad experiences with buckwheat, but its normally strong flavour wasn’t very pronounced in this and I found it just delicious.

It’s also really filling and no cooking is involved making it a perfect breakfast for hot summer mornings. I’m excited to play around with this first attempt using different amounts of buckwheat, chia seed, and almond milk ratios.

IMG 8763   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

I’ve already made a second batch in all the excitement…

IMG 8782   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Peanut Butter and Cocoa powder were involved and things got a bit crazy.

To be continued. :)

IMG 8787   Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge

Given Weekend Revelation #1, I’m going to stop thinking about my workout and just do it!

Katrina July 11, 2011

I’ve been meaning to try buckwheat as a porridge for a while now and this recipe sold me. Yum!

Jennifer Baldwin July 11, 2011

Hmmm never tried buckwheat … will have to now !

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 11, 2011

This is such a great idea! I’m going to have to try it

birdie to be July 11, 2011

This looks DELISH! I just save this recipe to make asap! Great post by the way. I love that you chatted and hung out with some new friends. I am the same way, anxiety wise and I love your new found philosophy.

rawkinmom July 11, 2011

I absolutely LOVE the photos in this post!! I really love how you placed all of the fruit around the table!!! AMAZING!!!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 11, 2011

The peanut butter and cocoa powder additions look to be right up my alley. I think toasted coconut, too. YUM!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 11, 2011

I am actually speechless after looking at this. The picutres, fruit, EVERYTHING looks amazing. WOW :)

Ana Maria July 11, 2011

Your photography in this post is stunning.

Ali July 11, 2011

I find saying “yes” helps me live in the moment. not a “yes, because I’m a people pleaser,” but in a trying new things way. Like when I was invited to a stagette and I didn’t know anyone except the bride, my first instinct was to say thanks but no thanks. But I forced myself to say yes because I knew I’d be challenging my own personal anxieties and I had fun and was proud of myself (which actually sounds quite silly to people who don’t have these anxieties lol)

Anyway, good luck on your living-in-the-moment journey :)

kelli July 11, 2011

your presentation is so fun!=)

Roz July 11, 2011

Another great recipe Angela, thanks! And yay for the spontanious sangria night!!! Glad you had a good time.

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 11, 2011

How exciting! Another wheat free breakfast idea that I can enjoy :)

VeggieGirl July 11, 2011

The texture of the buckwheat looks so creamy and delish!

Emma @ Getting There & Going Places July 11, 2011

Looking mighty good! As always of course! :)

Kathy July 11, 2011

I’ve recently found out that my store DOES carry buckwheat groats and I got a *little* excited! I can’t wait to get back to the store again! :) plus to try this too…although I’ve never had porridge except for congee (rice porridge)

Kaila @ healthy helper July 11, 2011

Ok I am officially crowning you as the best breakfast creator in the world! This looks amazing and I just happen to have a huge bag of rAw buckwheat groats at home! So excited to make this…..seriously it looks way to good to pass up!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 11, 2011

must make this asap!!!

dee July 11, 2011

Thanks for the recipe – i will try this and post back. I bought buckwheat groats a couple of weeks ago for a change (I’m pretty sure only after seeing them on your blog) but the two times i made them they were pretty nasty. I was trying to use them as a grain to go with vegetables for work lunches. At least this way they won’t be slimy like they were when i made them! Thanks.

Char July 11, 2011

Mmmm looks delicious!! I love overnight oats, so I’ll have to give this a try :)

Christine (The Raw Project) July 11, 2011

Just wow, this looks amazing! Must try it soon, thanks!

Katherine July 11, 2011

Can you make me breakfast? Or become my personal chef?
K, thanks :D

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming July 11, 2011

This looks so delicious and healthy! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat July 11, 2011

I’m very excited about this! I love the overnight oats, and I love buckwheat. Combine the two, and…genius. Soaking now!

Alana July 11, 2011

Your photography is amazing!! :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 11, 2011

I just tried making kasha recently for the first time, and totally ruined it. I don’t think I like it pre-toasted though! I’m going to give raw buckwheat a try. This looks delicious!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 11, 2011

I really struggle with living in the moment too – I have this annoying need to plan everything! I’m glad you were able to let go and have a fun, spontaneous Saturday night. :)

Also this breakfast looks fantastic! I had no idea buckwheat groats could be soaked to get a softer texture. I’ll definitely be trying this!

Meg @ MegGoesNomNom July 11, 2011

Omw, your third picture down is STUNNING!

Pure2raw Twins July 11, 2011

Beautiful photos. Love raw buckwheat. Your breakfast porridge looks perfect! It has been a long time since I have made a buckwheat porridge, now I am craving one! :)

acme July 11, 2011

I have way too much steel cut oats so I’m thinking of using that instead of the buckwheat…thanks for the idea!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2011

Do steel cut oats get soft when soaked?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 12, 2011

Your pictures in this post are extra wonderful Angela!

The buckwheat porridge sounds like a satisfying and delicious breakfast.

Emma July 12, 2011

I get the same feelings when faced with any social situation – if something is planned weeks or any time ahead I work myself up over it so much by the time it comes around it’s the absolute last thing I feel like doing and I usually bail. But if I come home and my partner says ‘hey we’re going out to such and such’ I’m all for it. Something I need to get over if I want any friends!!!

I love love love sangria. I make a pretty potent one – I evenb bought a jug specifically for it last summer but never used it! And that buckwheat porridge sounds pretty good. I may try it this week :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine July 12, 2011

Speaking of spontaneity, I think I need to go spontaneously make this porridge.
Seriously, if those pictures are even somewhat realistic, I need to drop everything and go hunt down some buckwheat groats NOW ;)

Michelle July 12, 2011

I’ve only recently begun experimenting with buckwheat, inspired by Ashley’s bakes at the edibleperpespective. Also, Matthew Kenney/Sarma Melngailis’s Raw Food Real World has a recipe for buckwheat crispies: essentially the above concept, though dehydrated. I’ve been using them as my chocolate/sweets fix – soveryyummy. However, despite basically (very carefully) licking the processor, I never thought of *not* dehydrating the mixture. Porridge. *Brilliant!*

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 12, 2011

I love all the colors in this dish — great photos!

Jennifer July 12, 2011

I just made and devoured this recipe. I was worried I would not like cold porridge, but I was not bothered at all by it. As matter of fact, I think I would prefer it to cooked buckwheats. Really yummy. I’ve tried so many recipes on this site and only one I didn’t love. Very good job. I really want you to come out with a cookbook. I love that you don’t use “fake meat” products, just real stuff.
Great job on photography too!!!

katie July 12, 2011

Angela , LOVE this, and not to be a PAIN, but what would measurements be for just a serving! I would like to make it just for me!

: )

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 12, 2011

Oh my gosh. I just got some chia seeds. :) This sounds AMAZING!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 12, 2011

Uhhh you rock. That’s really all I have to say about that.

Jill in Chicago July 13, 2011

This morning I added 1/4 cup of leftover porridge to my smoothie (cooked kale, frozen banana, frozen strawberries and almond milk.) It added such a great taste, not to mention a wonderful texture!

Meg | One Love Meg July 13, 2011

I just started a 30 day raw vegan challenge. I am going to have to add this to my morning routine. It sounds delicious. I also bought that blender your recommended. Thanks! :)

Page 3 of 5«12345»