Canada Day Long Weekend

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 3, 2011

IMG_8369

Canada Day was fun! Ange, Colin, and Monica joined us. Dave and Ewa were there in spirit! They just bought a house so they had some last minute house prep to do on Canada Day to put their house on the market. We got to have them over Saturday night though, so it was nice to catch up with them!

Do you like our makeshift ‘patio set’ made up of hand me down chairs and a worn Ikea table? ;) It did the trick for now! We would like to buy a new set at some point.

IMG_0846

The décor was a bunch of mini Canada Day flags! And one lone gal in her fav red Target dress…;)

IMG_0813-2

And also, some wild flowers that were picked on our afternoon walk.

IMG_8397

But Ange’s flowers stole the show! Look at the gorgeous gerbera daisies she gave me. :)

IMG_8437

IMG_0850

IMG_0859

Dinner was great! Ange brought a chickpea salad with a homemade strawberry glaze, I made my Weekend Glow Kale Salad (made with garden kale!), we grilled pineapples, and Colin brought chicken to BBQ for the meat eaters. I was also going to grill veggie burgers, but after my bad reaction on Thursday I am staying clear of anything soy until I get tested. I also ran out of time to make my own burgers! It ended up being more than enough though and dinner was great.

IMG_8399

Grilled pineapples are the best! Try them with a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon.

IMG_8391

I drank too much beer! I had 4 or 5 which is a lot for me these days.

IMG_8395

After dinner, we walked about 20 mins. to catch some fireworks and I demonstrated how NOT to take a good photograph…!

IMG_0861

Eric said, ‘Don’t quit your day job!’

:-\

We also failed miserably at getting a picture together…

IMG_0829 IMG_0830

Drank more beer after returning. Clearly I needed it…. ;)

IMG_0826

Then, it was out like a light…

IMG_0863

(That was actually another picture of the fireworks!)

Yesterday, we went on a walk along Lakeshore in Oakville and Burlington as it was a beautiful day (although VERY humid).

IMG_8154

IMG_8105

IMG_8103

We also started the process of going through each room and getting rid of unwanted household items. I started on the laundry room and kitchen and Eric started on the basement. I can’t believe how much crap we’ve collected since we moved in!

It’s amazing how many ‘things’ can accumulate in a home. It feels so good to give away what we don’t need and only keep the essentials. My kitchen cupboards are only half full now and I’m only keeping the things I use on a regular basis. Today, I’m tackling the office which is going to be a huge process!

IMG_8422

We also did a little dog sitting for Dave and Ewa while people came to look at their house. :) Hi Benny!

IMG_8093

This morning, we went out for a 3 mile bike + run (him on bike, me on foot). I busted my butt on this run and had a great negative split!

Mile 1: 8:50

Mile 2: 7:34

Mile 3: 7:35

IMG_8454

It was hot, hilly, and windy and I was POOPED! I really gave that run everything I had in me. Felt great after. Workouts don’t have to be long to be effective!

IMG_8449

Today I’m organizing and purging our office (ahhhh) and Eric is working on the deck stairs. Tonight, we’re capping off the weekend with a picnic at the beach. Should be fun!

Have a good one. :)

The Teenage Taste July 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

Sounds like your Canada Day celebration was a success! You definitely know how to throw a party, Angela! :-)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

You look so festive! Love your dress. Target is the best. :)

I lov grilled pineapple too. I use brown sugar but also add cayenne for a little kick. It’s really good with the sweet!

Julie @ Shining From Within July 3, 2011 at 9:53 am

What a perfect weekend :). Have fun at the beach! That chickpea salad Ange made sounds amaze…yummay

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 3, 2011 at 9:59 am

Looks like a wonderful weekend! Love the pictures of the flowers and beach.

We’re going to be moving next month so we need to start consolidating and tossing anything we don’t regularly use. Should be fun!

Leah July 3, 2011 at 9:59 am

Looks like fun! I love that you and Eric bike/run together. It’s something Steve< Sophie and I should do this summer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

it’s nice having company!

Jackie @ that deep breath July 3, 2011 at 10:03 am

Looks like a fun party! Grilled pineapple is delish!!

Cait's Plate July 3, 2011 at 10:13 am

This looks like such a fun weekend :) I just love your photos, they perfectly capture the moments!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 3, 2011 at 10:27 am

WOW, busy girl!! And look at that awesome sweaty glow – you must have been movin’!! Thanks so much for having me Ange, it was an awesome dinner as always! Good luck tackling the office. I totally agree with you on the topic of only keeping essentials. It seems like every weekend I find at least a bag of stuff in my room of things I could easily do without. I also plan to tackle the rest of my house… my downstairs storage room is going to be quite a project! Have a lovely Sunday! :)

Laura July 3, 2011 at 10:28 am

My husband and I just downsized and have been purging our “stuff” too! Amazing how much collects!

Leah July 3, 2011 at 10:32 am

Btw I meant to ask, what kind of ear buds to you use when running? I’m in desperate need of a new pair! Do they stay in your ears ok?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2011 at 11:31 am

I use the ones that came with my apple shuffle. They stay in quite well surprisingly.

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) July 3, 2011 at 10:37 am

“Workouts don’t have to be long to be effective!”
amen! what i live by these days!

Jenny July 3, 2011 at 10:47 am

Amazing times on the last two miles of that run! Definitely believable that you “busted your butt” on it… And I agree – workouts don’t need to be long to be effective. Intensity plays a big part, for sure.

Looks like you guys have had a great weekend thus far. :) A picnic on the beach… What a perfect way to end the long weekend! And don’t feel bad about firework photos – they’re seriously hard to capture. Great attempt on your part! Besides – your dinner looked AMAZING and that’s enough to compensate, right?! Love the hue of your red dress, as well!

Have a great Sunday~

Amber K July 3, 2011 at 11:04 am

Fun day! I bet grilled pineapple is amazing :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 3, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hahhaha toooo much beer perhaps?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2011 at 11:32 am

yes and a headache the next morning to remind me of course. ;)

hippierunner July 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

I love the cheery pictures of the wildflowers! You are glowing after that run! ;)

kate July 3, 2011 at 11:11 am

food looks delicious I love the chickpea salad !!

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 3, 2011 at 11:11 am

Loved this post! Really fun! :) Cute pics of you and Eric! And congrats on that super fast time!! You must have been going like the clappers!! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

Looks like you’re having a great long weekend! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday :)

[email protected] July 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Canada is beautiful! :-)

kaila @ healthy helper! July 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Those splits are awesome Ange! Wow you are speedy!!! And I agree….hard, short workouts can be just as effective! All that matters is how hard you push your body!

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun.com July 3, 2011 at 11:34 am

Sounds like a wonderful Canada Day! Those salads look delish!

Sharon July 3, 2011 at 11:36 am

I feel like this post perfectly captures the spirit of a fun holiday weekend. i’m inspired now to make my weekend a bit more fun. Gorgeous scenery, those wild flowers are so pretty!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

Soounds like a great weekend aha! we Cannucks know how to celebrate eh? eh? hahah. I love grilling fruits on the bbq. Peaches and plums are my fave, I’ve never tried grilled pineapple though!

LizAshlee July 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

Sounds like an absolutely amazing time! Way to rock out a great run…you go girl!!

Holly @ Pink-Runner.com July 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

I LOVE your daisy pictures! So pretty and they are my favorite flower :)

kristi (sweet cheeks) July 3, 2011 at 12:15 pm

It’s hard to take pictures of fireworks!! I can never get a good one either so don’t feel bad; you aren’t alone haha. :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) July 3, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Aww, Angela, fireworks are tough to capture on film!! No worries!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes July 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm

cinnamon on the pineapple is a great idea! i throw it on basically everything already so what is one more thing!

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm

4-5 beers is a lot for me! Especially if I have them in a few hours time — seriously I can’t remember the last time I did that!

We are doing some cleaning too — we have the same problem: too much junk/crap in the house!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 3, 2011 at 12:59 pm

You have taught me how to cook amazing vegan food that will shock my friends when I tell them it’s vegan. Now if only (IF ONLY!) you could teach me how to be a runner. My jeans would fit much better if I could run as well as I can cook :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

awwww :) Everyone starts somewhere! You can check out my post how I started running: http://ohsheglows.com/2009/08/20/my-running-journey-from-1-minute-to-10-miles/

char @ char on a mission July 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm

My run almost killed me this morning! I was waiting for the wind to show up, but never did!! I was all blotchy, but really wanted to stop at the health food store for some spinach after. The lady must not have noticed my tomato-like face!

I LOVE Lakeshore. My grandparents live in Oakville right on the lake. It would be ever so nice to have that house passed down to me (crossing fingers lol)

Happy cleaning!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 3, 2011 at 2:06 pm

This weekend I have spent much of it donating and decluttering. I brought over FOUR CARLOADS stuffed to the max with donation items to the thrift shop (thankfully it’s just down the block). Have only been here 12 mos and have moved tons in the past but stuff in storage just…multiples. I swear, it really does :) and I need to declutter and donate. I think our weekend is probably parallel in that sense.

Except your grilled pineapple, your time with friends, and your 4-5 beers sound wayyyy better than anything else i’ve been doing!

Good luck on the rest of your projects this weekend!

cathy July 3, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Angela, this was such a fun post to read! And your photos from friday eve are a hoot!
What an absolutely perfect long weekend, eh! So glad you’ve had a mix of fun and productivity!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 3, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I went on a run this morning too and I looked even redder than you afterwards LOL!

Enjoy the rest of your long weekend!

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas July 3, 2011 at 2:35 pm

GRILLED PINEAPPLES!!! OMG, I haven’t had those in forever! What a great idea! I love your attempts at snapping some firework shots… Mine will probably be worse!

lauri (redheadrecipes.com) July 3, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Mmmmm… grilled pineapple! Yum! My favorite is grilled plums or peaches!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 3, 2011 at 4:55 pm

what a wonderful weekend!

Janice July 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

I love the wild flowers and how you put small Candian flag together with. I love grilled pineapple. We have all year round supple of fresh pineapple here in the Philippines. Grilled pineapples are perfect to sandwich when put together with grilled eggplant and zucchini. :-)

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco July 3, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Oh my goodness, I just read about your soy reaction. I’m so glad to hear you’re okay! You are the responsible person you are, but it’s good to hear you’re being careful. You are a wonderful photographer (I mean, look at those pictures!) It’s hard to take pics of fireworks. ;)

P.S. Those grilled pinapple slices look amazing. Don’t you just love caramelized fruits and veggies?

Rebecca July 3, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Looks like a great holiday celebration! Why have I never tried grilled pineapple???? Looks amazing.
And congratulations on that run!! Those are some awesome negative splits :D

Moni'sMeals July 3, 2011 at 6:36 pm

great weekend! Way to charge the run with that heat! Your deck looks great and all the meals too, especailly the grilled pineapple, my fav! :)

Heather (Faces of Beauty) July 3, 2011 at 8:17 pm

what a fun weekend! i’m loving our long 4th of july weekend…permanent saturdays are OK by me!

Tara July 3, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Hi Angela! I just discovered your blog and am loving it. That chickpea and strawberry salad looks delicious – any chance of a recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011 at 8:30 am

Hey Tara! Thank you :)
I dont have the recipe, but Ange might post it (I linked to her blog) :)

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable July 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Sounds like a great long weekend! I can’t wait to go through my own house getting rid of things…I’m about to embark on a great consolidation project as we prepare for my future hubs to move in! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep up the great work with the running–you are FAST girl! :)

Keelie (Sweat Equals Success) July 3, 2011 at 8:43 pm

LOVE the post run pics! I just got a Garmin Forerunner- PSYCHED to use it when I get home from my trip!

Benny is ADORABLE! :)

Little Aspects July 3, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Looks like a lovely weekend!!
I really like your blue running top – is it Lululemon?

Sportsgirl July 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm

What a fun weekend! I am very conscious of collecting too much crap. Before I buy anything I ask myself if I really need it. I also prefer living in small places so that we don’t get too much stuff because it can’t fit! Lol!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 3, 2011 at 11:32 pm

What a beautiful celebration and I love how by the night’s end (or beer’s end?) your hair was tossled and you had a look of mischief about you! ;)

Katrina July 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm

Looks like a great Canada day weekend! Nothing like a good run after too!

Stephanie @Lungesandlunch July 4, 2011 at 12:24 am

I LOVE purging. I hate things that sit around and do nothing – if it doesn’t serve a purpose, out the door it goes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011 at 8:29 am

same here! The less ‘things’ around me the happier I am.

Emma July 4, 2011 at 5:44 am

The kale salad looks absolutely divine! And everyone is glowing. Happy Canada Day!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat July 4, 2011 at 7:53 am

Canada Day on your deck. Sweet!
I think everyone should move, or pretend to move, every few years just to go through the process of thinning stuff out.It feels good to minimize stuff down to the essentials.
Glad you had a wonderful holiday weekend.

Gretchen July 4, 2011 at 7:54 am

Love your blog – I should have told you earlier but I ‘adopted’ you for the monthly Adopt a Gluten-free Blogger event and made those Walnut Chip Brownies from your blog. I found them to be very sweet but people that I have shared with have said ‘best brownies ever’. Husband is chowing down on them and I have not mentioned dates or bananas which he does-not-like! The post is at http://www.gfedge.com/category/edge-chat/adopt-a-gluten-free-blogger/

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011 at 8:29 am

yes they are quite sweet- a definite indulgence! Glad that others enjoyed them!

Cailean July 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

Hey Angela! Thanks for all the delicious recipes and beautiful pictures. I’ve been a reader for over a year now and a runner for almost four. I’m currently looking to invest in a Garmin watch, and was wondering if you could give me a review of the one you currently own. :)
Cheers! Happy Belated Canada Day from a fellow Canuck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011 at 11:09 am

i have the garmin 305 and i loooooove it to death. I really have nothing bad to say about it and it is the best sports watch I have ever owned.
The only small thing I dont like about it is that the satellite takes a few minutes to load before using. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying sometimes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011 at 11:10 am

oh and happy canada day to you too!!