Canada Day Long Weekend

IMG_8369

Canada Day was fun! Ange, Colin, and Monica joined us. Dave and Ewa were there in spirit! They just bought a house so they had some last minute house prep to do on Canada Day to put their house on the market. We got to have them over Saturday night though, so it was nice to catch up with them!

Do you like our makeshift ‘patio set’ made up of hand me down chairs and a worn Ikea table? ;) It did the trick for now! We would like to buy a new set at some point.

IMG_0846

The décor was a bunch of mini Canada Day flags! And one lone gal in her fav red Target dress…;)

IMG_0813-2

And also, some wild flowers that were picked on our afternoon walk.

IMG_8397

But Ange’s flowers stole the show! Look at the gorgeous gerbera daisies she gave me. :)

IMG_8437

IMG_0850

IMG_0859

Dinner was great! Ange brought a chickpea salad with a homemade strawberry glaze, I made my Weekend Glow Kale Salad (made with garden kale!), we grilled pineapples, and Colin brought chicken to BBQ for the meat eaters. I was also going to grill veggie burgers, but after my bad reaction on Thursday I am staying clear of anything soy until I get tested. I also ran out of time to make my own burgers! It ended up being more than enough though and dinner was great.

IMG_8399

Grilled pineapples are the best! Try them with a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon.

IMG_8391

I drank too much beer! I had 4 or 5 which is a lot for me these days.

IMG_8395

After dinner, we walked about 20 mins. to catch some fireworks and I demonstrated how NOT to take a good photograph…!

IMG_0861

Eric said, ‘Don’t quit your day job!’

:-\

We also failed miserably at getting a picture together…

IMG_0829 IMG_0830

Drank more beer after returning. Clearly I needed it…. ;)

IMG_0826

Then, it was out like a light…

IMG_0863

(That was actually another picture of the fireworks!)

Yesterday, we went on a walk along Lakeshore in Oakville and Burlington as it was a beautiful day (although VERY humid).

IMG_8154

IMG_8105

IMG_8103

We also started the process of going through each room and getting rid of unwanted household items. I started on the laundry room and kitchen and Eric started on the basement. I can’t believe how much crap we’ve collected since we moved in!

It’s amazing how many ‘things’ can accumulate in a home. It feels so good to give away what we don’t need and only keep the essentials. My kitchen cupboards are only half full now and I’m only keeping the things I use on a regular basis. Today, I’m tackling the office which is going to be a huge process!

IMG_8422

We also did a little dog sitting for Dave and Ewa while people came to look at their house. :) Hi Benny!

IMG_8093

This morning, we went out for a 3 mile bike + run (him on bike, me on foot). I busted my butt on this run and had a great negative split!

Mile 1: 8:50

Mile 2: 7:34

Mile 3: 7:35

IMG_8454

It was hot, hilly, and windy and I was POOPED! I really gave that run everything I had in me. Felt great after. Workouts don’t have to be long to be effective!

IMG_8449

Today I’m organizing and purging our office (ahhhh) and Eric is working on the deck stairs. Tonight, we’re capping off the weekend with a picnic at the beach. Should be fun!

Have a good one. :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Cailean July 4, 2011

Hey Angela! Thanks for all the delicious recipes and beautiful pictures. I’ve been a reader for over a year now and a runner for almost four. I’m currently looking to invest in a Garmin watch, and was wondering if you could give me a review of the one you currently own. :)
Cheers! Happy Belated Canada Day from a fellow Canuck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

i have the garmin 305 and i loooooove it to death. I really have nothing bad to say about it and it is the best sports watch I have ever owned.
The only small thing I dont like about it is that the satellite takes a few minutes to load before using. Not a huge deal, but a bit annoying sometimes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

oh and happy canada day to you too!!

Gretchen July 4, 2011

Love your blog – I should have told you earlier but I ‘adopted’ you for the monthly Adopt a Gluten-free Blogger event and made those Walnut Chip Brownies from your blog. I found them to be very sweet but people that I have shared with have said ‘best brownies ever’. Husband is chowing down on them and I have not mentioned dates or bananas which he does-not-like! The post is at http://www.gfedge.com/category/edge-chat/adopt-a-gluten-free-blogger/

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

yes they are quite sweet- a definite indulgence! Glad that others enjoyed them!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat July 4, 2011

Canada Day on your deck. Sweet!
I think everyone should move, or pretend to move, every few years just to go through the process of thinning stuff out.It feels good to minimize stuff down to the essentials.
Glad you had a wonderful holiday weekend.

Emma July 4, 2011

The kale salad looks absolutely divine! And everyone is glowing. Happy Canada Day!

Stephanie @Lungesandlunch July 4, 2011

I LOVE purging. I hate things that sit around and do nothing – if it doesn’t serve a purpose, out the door it goes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

same here! The less ‘things’ around me the happier I am.

Katrina July 3, 2011

Looks like a great Canada day weekend! Nothing like a good run after too!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh July 3, 2011

What a beautiful celebration and I love how by the night’s end (or beer’s end?) your hair was tossled and you had a look of mischief about you! ;)

Sportsgirl July 3, 2011

What a fun weekend! I am very conscious of collecting too much crap. Before I buy anything I ask myself if I really need it. I also prefer living in small places so that we don’t get too much stuff because it can’t fit! Lol!

Little Aspects July 3, 2011

Looks like a lovely weekend!!
I really like your blue running top – is it Lululemon?

Keelie (Sweat Equals Success) July 3, 2011

LOVE the post run pics! I just got a Garmin Forerunner- PSYCHED to use it when I get home from my trip!

Benny is ADORABLE! :)

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable July 3, 2011

Sounds like a great long weekend! I can’t wait to go through my own house getting rid of things…I’m about to embark on a great consolidation project as we prepare for my future hubs to move in! Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend and keep up the great work with the running–you are FAST girl! :)

Tara July 3, 2011

Hi Angela! I just discovered your blog and am loving it. That chickpea and strawberry salad looks delicious – any chance of a recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 4, 2011

Hey Tara! Thank you :)
I dont have the recipe, but Ange might post it (I linked to her blog) :)

Heather (Faces of Beauty) July 3, 2011

what a fun weekend! i’m loving our long 4th of july weekend…permanent saturdays are OK by me!

Moni'sMeals July 3, 2011

great weekend! Way to charge the run with that heat! Your deck looks great and all the meals too, especailly the grilled pineapple, my fav! :)