Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8014   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Our weather was dreary and rainy on Friday and Saturday, but Sunday was a beautiful summer day!

IMG 7965   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Eric was returning from a weekend in Montreal for his brother’s stag, so I picked him up when his train got in. He looked a little rough around the edges (think Hangover movie) and told me he was craving a piece of dandelion! lol.

I knew just the fix for him… Fresh! It was only about a 15 minute walk from where we were.

I started with a drink Eric probably could have used- the Detoxifier!

IMG 7946   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Made up of Kale, spinach, parsley, celery, & apple.

I loved it…I usually don’t juice fruits, but the apple was a nice treat in there.

Eric ordered the ‘Blue Lagoon’ which was a creamy blend of blueberry, mango, and banana.

IMG 7947   Getting Fresh In Toronto

To start, we ordered the Quinoa-battered Onion Rings with Chipotle Avocado sauce.

IMG 7943   Getting Fresh In Toronto

I’ve never ordered these before, but I’ve heard so many good things about them. Well, they are AMAZING!They are made from scratch and battered with puffed quinoa and sprinkled with sea salt. They are so crispy they must have been fried. Probably good hangover food for Eric!

The Chipotle avocado sauce was also fantastic for dippin’.

IMG 7944   Getting Fresh In Toronto

For my main, I ordered a wrap I haven’t had before- the Kathmandu wrap! It’s made up of a chickpea curry filling with tahini sauce, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, and alfalfa sprouts. Loved it.

IMG 7950   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Eric ordered the Black Bean Burrito made up of spicy black beans with chipolte avocado sauce, cilantro, tomato, lettuce, cucumber, red onion, & sprouts. We’re on such a huge wrap kick these days!

He liked it, but said he prefers the Grilled Vegetable and pesto wrap. I would have to agree. The grilled vegetable wrap is my fav.

IMG 7952   Getting Fresh In Toronto

For dessert, we shared the Vanilla Cupcake

IMG 7956   Getting Fresh In Toronto

and the Double Chocolate Fudge Cake!

IMG 7955   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Which I concluded is the best thing a girl can eat when PMS strikes…or anytime, really…no crumb could escape.

IMG 7954   Getting Fresh In Toronto

My all-time favourite dessert served at Fresh is the Carrot Cake though! The only problem is, they are always sold out of it every time we go! They bring in their desserts from Sweets from the Earth. I’ve only been to Fresh once when they had it available (in 2009). It was heavenly…

img 5716   Getting Fresh In Toronto

After dinner, we walked around lakeshore for a couple hours…what a perfect summer evening it was. There were so many people out walking, biking, rollerblading, and running. I would love to live around Lakeshore if I could pick any spot in Toronto. It’s so lively and beautiful. Lakeshore always makes me want to move back to the city!

IMG 8081 2   Getting Fresh In Toronto

We walked a lot of the route that I ran my very first half marathon- The Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront half!

IMG 8085 2 thumb   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Our walk was a bit less exhausting though. And a lot more relaxing. :)

IMG 7986   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8004   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 7983   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 7996   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8017   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8027   Getting Fresh In Toronto

We saw lots of Canadian Geese.

IMG 7979   Getting Fresh In Toronto

and a huge gorgeous swan!

IMG 8037   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8040   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8049   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8061   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8074   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8086   Getting Fresh In Toronto

IMG 8087   Getting Fresh In Toronto

I did not want this night to end…

IMG 8092   Getting Fresh In Toronto

Have a great start to your week!

Claire June 27, 2011

Absolutely beautiful photos! The chipotle avocado dip looks unreal! My favorite picture here is the swan with the droplet of water…so pretty :-)

LC June 27, 2011

I agree! What kind of camera do you use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2011

Thanks! My camera info is on my FAQ page found here: http://ohsheglows.com/faqs/

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 27, 2011

Quinoa battered onion rings?! Please tell me you’re going to be recreating those and posting the recipe. :)

LC June 27, 2011

Please do! They look divine!! Recreate the chickpea curry wrap, too!

kate@ahealthypassion June 27, 2011

I agree they look divine I wouldn’t have thought to pair quinoa with onion rings but it sounds/looks amazing!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 27, 2011

Jumping on the bandwagon here, do it… DO ITTTT! :) they would be amazing! Some amazing pictures there Angela! Looks like a lovely evening, hope it cured Eric’s hangover! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2011

hehe ;)

AGS @ West With Flight June 27, 2011

Agree — please please recreate!

Radha June 27, 2011

Your blog is like a a ray of sunshine on a rainy day. Thank you.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 27, 2011

That quinoa batter looks divine! I wonder is it literally just quinoa rolled on?

Looks like you had a great day :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2011

I have no idea, but I want to scope out the recipe in their cookbook…

cathy June 27, 2011

oh, this was a great post to read, angela! it’s always extra-fun to read about spots you can personally identify with (like your thrive outing, too!). i LOVE lakeshore area. my brother and SIL used to live on queen’s quay, so i spent many happy times wandering the waterfront. fresh – i’ve been there once and loved it. glad you and eric has such a fantastic day. maybe you can get back a few more times this summer!

AdrienneCarolyn June 27, 2011

Mmm Fresh! Perhaps I should go there for lunch today!! I’m so glad you had a great time walking around my hood! Your pictures are SO close to my condo! You must have been walking on my running route! I run the Lakeshore almost every day in the summer! It’s a great area, although can get a quite drab in the winter. We don’t get the pretty white snow like you country folks ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2011

oh I would kill for that running route…I find it so motivating with everyone out!

Hannah June 27, 2011

Looks like a great day, and your photos are so beautiful.

Cait's Plate June 27, 2011

What a perfect day! I love when we just set out early and enjoy the city the entire day, they’re usually the best days ever.

All those eats look absolutely amazing – I feel like I can taste them right off the screen!

Happy Monday :)

Ashley June 27, 2011

Pretty pictures!!

The carrot cake at Fresh is by Sweets From the Earth — and they sell their cakes out of a lot of stores now… so if you were ever craving it, it could always be available to you!

Abby June 27, 2011

I was just in Toronto for the first time earlier this month… and I went to Fresh too.. and got the same thing! It was so good!! I want to visit more often because of that place!

Andrea @ Vegvacious June 27, 2011

As usual, your photographs are absolutely gorgeous! We usually make it to Toronto for a Leafs game and a Jays game every year, but if anything all we hit is the Eaton Centre. We really need to take a day or two to go down and enjoy the beauty of Toronto!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 27, 2011

I love Toronto :) I wish I lived closer to it! but its like a 4 hour drive from my house. I have heard about Fresh, but I’ve never gone. I needs to get me a piece of that carrot cake!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 27, 2011

That cake…. WANT!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 27, 2011

Aww Ange, what gorgeous photos!! Looks like you two had a lovely time, and the weather was so perfect! The quinoa battered onion rings look awesome too. I don’t recall seeing them on the menu last time I was there so maybe they’re new. And what was that we were saying about square dishes? ;) Have a great day!

whitney June 27, 2011

This reminds me that I really should take a trip to Toronto. I live in MI so it’s really not that far from me! It looks so beautiful!

Whitney

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 27, 2011

Toronto looks beautiful! I never saw that park when I was in the city. Definitely going to check it out (and Fresh!) if I ever go back :)

Camille June 27, 2011

We are in Montreal right now (actually leaving for Toronto today) and we saw a bunch of Stag Nights last night! How weird would it have been if we walked right by Eric and didn’t even know it? :)

Sara Best June 27, 2011

Great post Angela and gorgeous pics! I love Fresh and am VERY familiar with those quinoa onion rings – to DIE for.

Leia June 27, 2011

It sounds like a really perfect day! Fresh sounds like such a great restaurant, I wish there were something like here. Around where I live, it’s quite difficult to eat out – not so many veggie options!

katie June 27, 2011

the pictures of the bench and grass are just beautiful. I love the sun beams you captured. That meal looks divine and so fresh. I’m sure he was feeling much better after filling up on such good foods!

Lisa Fine June 27, 2011

Sounds like a great day. I think we finally have the same sunshine here that you had yesterday.

Do you and Eric go to Montreal often? We try to go a few times a year.

Laura June 27, 2011

I was at fresh this weekend too! Had the bbq burger with the onion rings ON TOP! So, SO good.

Beautiful pics!

Meredith June 27, 2011

You were right by my apartment on the waterfront! I so needed to read this post. I grew up on an acreage and often have a hard time appreciating Toronto haha. I’m seriously going to bookmark this page for whenever I need a fresh perspective on the city to see its better side!

Ashley June 27, 2011

Gorgeous photos! The wraps look amazing!

dana @ my little celebration June 27, 2011

Stunning photos!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove June 27, 2011

The photos are beautiful! And pleaseeeeee find a way to make the quinoa battered onion rings. They look delicious and healthier than regular onion rings so I wouldn’t feel too guilty eating them.

Heather (heathers dish) June 27, 2011

I want to take a nap on a slab of cake like that :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged June 27, 2011

The chipotle + avocado combo has my brain rolling in a bunch of directions – I’ve been on such a huge ‘cado kick lately and I used to love chipotle mayonaise, so I can only imagine how amazing a vegan chipotle spread would be!

Yolie @ Practising Wellness June 27, 2011

Oh my gosh, Angela, you’re hitting me where it hurts, lol! I adore fresh, and went there several times when I was living in Toronto…your post is reminding me of some wonderful memories, thank you! the photos you take are absolutely breathtaking – you are so talented :-) xyx

Balancing Sylvia June 27, 2011

Um I could have used that cake big time last weekend! :D Seriously though your photos were absolutely stunning today. Your food photography is fantastic but you should really do more of these types of photos too. You seem to have a great eye :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2011

aww thank you! i loooove photography!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com June 27, 2011

Those oniont rings look amazing! Love that shot of the park bench- just gorgeous!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 27, 2011

I’ve always dreamed of going to Fresh! AH! I need to head to Toronto ASAP! I have their cookbooks and swear by each of the recipes. That cake looks ah-mazing! Looks like you two had a fabulous time :)

Kelsey June 27, 2011

gorgeous photos! and those wraps look out of this world. and I’m so intrigued by those quinoa onion rings! mmmmm

Lacia June 27, 2011

Oh my…those onion rings look AMAZING!!! And the dip too! mmmmmm.

Claudine @ The Kathmanduo June 27, 2011

Of course, my eyes zeroed right in on the Kathmandu wrap, named for my adopted city! It looks delicious, and I would love to recreate it here — if only I could find tahini in the stores. And that carrot cake. Oh my word. Do you think that Fresh might ship a slice to Kathmandu?

Shanna, Like Banana June 27, 2011

Hmm, my hubby was in Montreal for a “stag” party too…perhaps they were together..ha!

All those eats look to die for!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 27, 2011

Those pictures from your walk are STUNNING. The chocolate cake and carrot cake look yummy!!

Jessica June 27, 2011

Wow! Those pictures look gorgeous! And that cake looks verrryyy yummmmyyy!

Anne P June 27, 2011

Gosh it looks gorgeous there!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 27, 2011

quinoa battered onion rings!? consider my mind blown! Fresh looks like one of my restaurant dreams come true =) so jealous! <3

Happy monday doll!