Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

IMG 7801   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I wait all year long for local strawberries to make their brief appearance and when I finally see them at the market and in the grocery stores I tend to go a bit crazy.

IMG 9918   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I hoard them.

I freeze them.

I go to Strawberry festivals.

IMG 0386   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I make Strawberry Banana Soft Serve.

IMG 2199   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I make Strawberry Shortcake Stacked Pancakes.

IMG 3216   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

This weekend, we almost turned into a strawberry. First, there was the High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad that we inhaled after the hike. Then there were chocolate covered strawberries (Eric’s idea!)- one of our all-time favourite desserts.

Finally, this refreshing Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup came about.

IMG 7797   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

This soup is inspired by a chilled strawberry soup recipe I spotted over at Memories in the Baking. I thought the idea of a chilled strawberry soup was fun. Strawberries are the main ingredient with only a few ‘enhancing’ ingredients to bring out the strawberry flavour.

It’s a lovely dessert for the summertime when you want something light and healthy, yet still sophisticated. I just love the pairing of almonds and strawberries, so I added some almond butter and almond extract to the soup. The almond butter adds creaminess to the subtle tart undertones of the strawberries. A touch of sweetener- and chilling in the fridge- brought it all together!

You can have fun playing around with the recipe too. Strawberry Mint soup, as in this recipe, would also be fantastic. Or if you are a sweet and savoury fan, what about Strawberry Basil soup?

IMG 7769   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

IMG 7717 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

While the soup was chilling in the fridge, we worked up a good sweat working on the deck stairs. The guys weren’t able to help Eric this weekend (note: they are avoiding our calls hah), so I told him that I would help.

IMG 7716 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

The stairs are really intimidating! There are so many calculations and cuts to make.

IMG 7740 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

We got close to completing the large staircase! Just a few more boards to secure.

IMG 0804   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

After this one, we still have two smaller ones on each end. I’m REALLY ready for this deck to be complete!

At the end of the day, we had a very simple dinner made up of BBQ’d veggies, leftover pearled barley, pasta sauce, and seasonings.

IMG 0794 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup  IMG 7803   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

And then we devoured our chilled soup for dessert! It’s creamy, smooth, and flavourful and it didn’t last long!

IMG 7799   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

T minus 4 days until this weekend’s Strawberry Festival. Not that I’m counting or anything..

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 21, 2011

Oh my gosh. I WANT!!!!

Carly June 21, 2011

I used to eat Strawberries, bananas and almonds every single day for breakfast before I became allergic to almonds. Strawberries & Almonds are one of my favorite combos. Watch, I’ll become allergic to strawberries next…!

Christine (The Raw Project) June 21, 2011

Yum, this soup has breakfast written all over it for me! And maybe dinner. :-) Great job on the staircase!

Izzy June 21, 2011

LOVE the idea of a dessert soup – what a great, refreshing summer dessert!
Last weekend, we had the Strawberry Festival here in Toronto at Kensington Market – HOLY DELICIOUS PRODUCE, BATMAN!! Gotta love summer fruits :)

izzyy

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 21, 2011

I love the pink color! Gorgeous!

Alaina June 21, 2011

The town I grew up in had a Strawberry Festival every June. One of my favorite things to do! Don’t know if they still do it though.

Annie@stronghealthyfit June 21, 2011

Mmm! Reminds me of the sour cherry soup i had in Hungary around this time last year. Fruit soups are way underrated and overlooked!

Lauri (Redheadrecipes.com) June 21, 2011

Last year I froze a TON of local strawberries.This year, the season seemed to have come and gone so fast I didn’t get a chance to freeze any. :(

Good luck with the deck!! So exciting and just in time for summer :)

Danielle June 21, 2011

I made this tonight and it is delicious! Cannot really taste the almond butter though. I cannot wait to add this to my overnight oats in the morning!

Molly @ RDexposed June 21, 2011

I just went through a carton of strawberries in 24 hours. Chocolate strawberry green smoothies are a God-sent!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath June 21, 2011

That soup looks amazing! Does it hold you over well? I’m thinking this could make a yummy breakfast. I also LOVE the last picture. It’s so beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

I dont know if I’d rely on it as a breakfast, but it might be good with a piece of toast or something!

Ann @ Running With Chopstix June 21, 2011

I have to say the deck is coming out fantastically! It’s going to be finished in no time!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 21, 2011

Oo this looks so refreshing! I too LOVE strawberry season. I may or may not have a hoard of them in the freezer right now…

Alexia (Dimple Snatcher) June 21, 2011

Absolutely beautiful, Angela! I love that you put a smoothie in a bowl and called it soup :)

Kathy June 22, 2011

…*looks at ingredient list*
I’m making this tomorrow :)

jess white June 22, 2011

perfect. just the sort of summer drink i crave, i only wish it was hot enough in london to enjoy it!

Alissa June 22, 2011

Yum! This looks great. I especially like the sound and look of those strawberry shortcake stacked pancakes :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 22, 2011

Huh! I have neeeever heard of a sweet soup! I guess it’s time I did :) This looks so delicious, and most of all it looks ELEGANT. Home run, Ange!!

Lisa June 22, 2011

Hey Angela, love your blog!! I’m trying to eat less meat and your recipes always turn out great and give use great options!! According to my mom there is a pic of me when I’m about 2 and my stomach has ballooned so big because ‘my basket’ was full of strawberries!! Didn’t get sick though! I live in Toronto so what Strawberry Festival are you going to, this weekend?

Laura June 22, 2011

That shade of pink is stunning! my new favourite colour!
Can’t wait to try it.

Dana@TheSundaySweet June 22, 2011

Seriously, those pancakes look like heaven to me!! I want to be at home making those and lounging around with coffee in pajamas. Hopping over to that post now :)

Varsha June 22, 2011

I have been watching the progress you guys have been making at your deck, and I must tell you – its AMAZING!! Such stuff is unheard of in our parts.

Marysol June 22, 2011

There’s nothing like a gorgeous photograph to jump-start a craving!

I always have almond butter and almond milk on hand, yet I didn’t think to include them in the strawberry soup. And, I’m tickled (pink) that you were inspired by my soup.
Needless to say, we have gathered inspiration from each other. So I’d like to thank you, for showcasing this soup in a deliciously healthier light.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

thank you for the inspiration! :)

Ana June 22, 2011

I just had banana soft serve for the first time (pumpkin flavored) and OMG so good! i saw yours months ago but since i dont like bananas (i know weird) i hadnt given it a shot but man im glad i did! thanks :)

maria@healthydiaries June 22, 2011

I made this last night after dinner and could not believe how good and simple it was! I seriously licked my cup clean! Thanks once again!

Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 22, 2011

Now I know what to make with the two half flats of strawberries I will be getting at the Farmers Market this weekend. Mua ha ha. This also reminds me of a Hungarian dish that I will be making tonight :D

Allison June 22, 2011

I can smell the strawberries as I am reading this! Yum!

I wanted to to let you know that though I am not vegan, your blog has had an unusual effect on my diet (don’t worry, in a GOOD way). I have been eating so many of the dishes you post on here, though I do still eat meat. The things in the middle, cheese, eggs, and other animal products have largely fallen by the wayside. Now when I cook your recipes and take them to parties, everyone is surprised when I announce, “It’s vegan!!!! and SO GOOD!!” (I’m even getting a few of my hardcore meat eating friends to realize, vegan does not equal gross.) Thanks for all the ideas and motivation to eat clean and be a healthier person!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

thank you Allison, that makes me so happy to hear!!!

Rach June 22, 2011

These are completely gorgeous! Sounds so tasty! And your deck stairs look great :)

Anna June 22, 2011

Holy cow, this looks so amazing. I have the same attitude about strawberries…I could just eat them all day.
We had a strawberry festival in my town last weekend, so much deliciousness.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

Yay! Peaches would be amaaaaazing.

Luv What You Do June 22, 2011

This soup looks so amazing! I always buy lots of strawberries at Costco or the market and I just bought almond extract to make almond butter. I can’t wait to try your recipe!

Lorin June 22, 2011

Can you just eat it right after you blend it? It seemes like a smoothie pretty much, a delicous one no doubt! I might have to thrown in some spinach for a green monster :)

JL goes Vegan June 23, 2011

Lovely idea, a strawberry soup!

Lisa K June 23, 2011

I cannot wait to make this tonight. I made the berry quinoa salad and it was the loveliest post workout breakfast on a hot summer Florida morning. Thank you for all your recipes, Angela!

Tracy June 23, 2011

Hi Angela! I just wanted to let you know that I check your site DAILY for updates. I love reading your posts! This soup looks yumalicious! I also have really been loving the deck pictures. I can’t wait to see it when it’s finished. You guys are doing a great job!

Ashley June 23, 2011

I can’t wait to make this! Chilled fruit soup is the perfect hot weather dish!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over June 24, 2011

This looks amazing, you’re so inventive! Though I’m not sure if the strawberries I just bought will survive long enough for me to make this, I’ve already eaten half of them! ;)

Amber June 26, 2011

This is my first comment on your blog. I read it regularly, and I just wanted to say thank you for sharing all of your wonderful recipes. I made your strawberry soup a few minutes ago. I’m going to have it for dessert after I have my veggie burger breakfast. I adapted the recipe for a single serving, and changed the flavour extract. Here’s what I used:

-170 grams strawberries
-1 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
-1/2 tbsp raw almond butter
-1/8 tsp mint extract
-1/2 tbsp maple syrup

It’s very, very minty and sitting in my freezer right now to chill. I’m going to pick some mint leaves from my plant to garnish it. I was also thinking that some vegan dark chocolate shavings would be a nice garnish as well (but no chocolate blended into the actual soup).

Have you tried Artisana raw almond butter? It’s incredible. I can’t go a day without it. It tastes so fresh and adds an extra bit of ‘life’ to whatever you put it in :D

Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters June 26, 2011

I love strawberries and almond together. I love putting frozen strawberries into my almond-extract infused oat bran bowls. The nuttiness and sweetness of the fruit go so well together!

The Cozy Herbivore May 24, 2012

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the combination of strawberries and almonds. And I love that I have all of these ingredients in my fridge right now! Seems like just the thing for this warm spring night.

I wrote a compilation post about my favorite strawberry recipes (http://bit.ly/Kx5aYE) and I sure did include a link to this beautiful soup! Can’t wait to give it a try…

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2012

Thanks for the link love! Great list :)

Timmy August 28, 2012

Want to try this with organic strawberries mixed with a bit of blueberry’s. Yum

Page 3 of 3«123