Oil-Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG 7457   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Man, I’m feeling bummed right now. I would guess that my mom is too based on her tears when I dropped her off at the airport this morning. She starts to cry, then I start to cry…it ain’t pretty! I think I even saw a nearby taxi driver shed a tear.

We always have such a great time together and then when it’s all over I feel a pit in my stomach when she has to leave. I’ve already called her once since I got home from the airport. I may look like a grown woman, but I’m still a mama’s girl at heart. ;)

IMG 7460   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

The good news is, we’ll always have this incredible oil-free Zucchini loaf to remember the good times and great food on this trip!

I even sent her off with a big slice to take on the plane with her. It comforts me knowing that she has my yummy homemade food to eat instead of cardboard plane food. I’m a strong believer in wholegrain carbs when you’re feeling blue!

IMG 7589 2   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Plus, carbs are addicting which means that she’ll have to come back to visit real soon…right?

IMG 7463   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG 7478   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

None of us could believe that this loaf does not contain oil! Magic trick #2 this weekend. (See Magic Trick #1: The eggless fluffy chocolate cupcake!)

The shredded zucchini does a wonderful job giving this loaf moisture..and you don’t taste the zucchini at all. You can see beautiful flecks of green though!

IMG 7463 3   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

It’s a very dense loaf, but not in a bad way! Whole grain spelt flour tends to make dense breads, but I just love the nutty flavour of spelt so I don’t mind. The walnuts, streusel, and raisins add just the right amount of sweetness and crunch.

IMG 7480   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

We’ve been enjoying this not-too-sweet loaf for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. If you like your baked goods sweet you might want to add another 1/4 cup of sugar, but we thought it was just perfect for a healthy snack.

It’s wonderful spread with Earth Balance, nut butter and jam…or just enjoyed plain!

IMG 7481   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

On that note, I think I may need some endorphin-inducing carbs to cheer me up…

IMG 7483 2   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 14, 2011

I just made zucchini bread the other day (which was amazing), but I really wish I’d seen this recipe beforehand! I love that it’s oil free and the cinnamon streusel sounds fabulousss!

Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness June 14, 2011

Oh, I know that feeling. I love far away from my mom too and its the WORST having to say goodbye after a visit. It never gets easier, and talking on the phone doesn’t help. I think I’m going to have to try this recipe, in honor of moms who lives far away from daughters…

Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 14, 2011

I love zucchini bread. I bet this would be sooo good as french toast.

Tara @ ThriftyCanadianShopper June 14, 2011

aww you and your mom are so cute! :) so sad to say goodbye isn’t it. I live about 4000 miles away from my family right now, I definitely get homesick quite a bit.
totally off topic, but have you done any posts on tea biscuits? I looked in your recipe section but no luck finding one. I thought for sure I would come across one on here :)

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitche June 14, 2011

This looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. Your mom is too cute!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 14, 2011

Great minds must think alike – I baked choc ZUCCHINI friands on the weekend!

Ashley June 14, 2011

The bread looks perfect and it’s so pretty. The colors in your post today are so cheery + fabulous. I’m so sorry your mom had to leave so soon. I know that feeling and it’s awful. :( Despite being sad…I hope you have a great rest of the week!

Lauren June 14, 2011

This looks amazing! do you think would it work with grated apples or carrots? I love the green speckles in the loaf though!!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 14, 2011

This recipe looks scrumptious. I will be making it soon! Hope your mum gets to come back soon as well!

Kristine June 14, 2011

I am moving away (across the US) and I am best friends with my mom. We seriously do everything together and I have no idea what i’m going to do without her! It is going to be the hardest thing ever to leave. When did you move away from your mom? For college? Any advice? :(

Wendy Irene June 14, 2011

This recipe looks absolutely A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Leslie June 14, 2011

Oh man, I feel for you! I know exactly how you feel, my family lives in Sask. and I in Alberta….always so hard to say goodbye even when we are all grown up :(

But baking always helps me, hopefully you too :)

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover! June 14, 2011

This is exactly the kind of recipe I look for when doing my baking. Whole, simple ingredients that is healthy, vegan and delicious!
Thanks for this, I look forward to more of your oil-free baking experiments!

Carey @ Positively Blonde June 14, 2011

I love the idea of flax egg! I’m definitely going to give that a try in some recipes!

My mom and I are the same way. We both have sob fest when one of our visits comes to an end :(

Yolanda June 14, 2011

I have to stay completely away from sugar, do you think I could substitute something else for that, such as honey? Please e-mail me as I’d really like to try this, thanks!

Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out June 14, 2011

Aww, You look JUST like your mom!

So sweet.

Bonnie June 14, 2011

That looks absolutely scrumptious! Your recipes and healthy living is so inspiring. :)

Ashley M. from Austin June 14, 2011

y’all are b-e-a-utiful!! All of your recipes rock my world, & i’m sure this zucc loaf will live up to the standard!

Megan@eatmybeets June 14, 2011

Hmm I wonder if you could cut out the sugar and just make it a savory loaf? I’ve been toying with the idea of baking bread… but I think I may just keep thinking about it and not actually do it. Too time consuming haha

marla {family fresh cooking} June 14, 2011

Angela, you and your mom are so cute together! I hope I am close to my kids always. I bet this cake will bring you both back together really soon – it does look awesome :)

Jenny June 15, 2011

Perfect timing! I made this tonight with the oh-so-close-to-expiring zucchinis in my fridge and my husband ate half the loaf before it even had a chance to cool completely! I hid the rest :)

Ali @ Around the VeggieTable June 15, 2011

Awww I’m so sorry you miss your mama. Goodbyes are so hard. Last week we visited my fiance’s dad who he only sees about once a year (if that). I felt SO bad for him watching them hug goodbye at the airport…men are just as big babies as us sometimes! Hope you get to see her again SOON! :)

Molly @ RDexposed June 15, 2011

Guilt-free? I’ll pretend so!

faith June 15, 2011

I am looking forward to coming back to this post/recipe when my garden is full of zucchini next month!

Sonia The Healthy Foodie June 15, 2011

YUM! This bread looks FANTASTIC! Just my kind of carbs, really! I have to give it a try, and soon! This is sooo going on my must try list!

kris (everyday oats) June 15, 2011

I love baking breads! Especially oil free ones :)
Being oil free, is the bread still crumbly, or is it more of a chewy texture?

Tracy @ Commit To Fit June 15, 2011

Love the recipe, definitely inspired me to do my own version :)

Andi June 18, 2011

AMAZING!!!! I made this loaf to take with me to Europe today… but I am not sure it is going to make it there : ) another hit, thanks Angela!

Zestful Lou June 18, 2011

Mmmm! I made this last night and had two slices for breakfast. It was gooey and dense and wonderful. Don’t you just love susan’s recipes over at FF Vegan?

Luv What You Do June 22, 2011

I love zucchini bread and finally had the time to try this recipe today. I didn’t even use the topping and it is so good! Thanks for sharing. I will be making it numerous times over the summer, especially when I visit my friend who has recently become a vegan.

Sadie July 22, 2012

Yum! I made this last night with a few changes (ok a lot of changes) and it was DELICIOUS. I think I’ll make another loaf and freeze it since I have tons of fresh zucchini from my garden.

NIgelle July 24, 2012

Could the flax egg be replaced with chia seeds? If so, how much? And is it possoble to add more zucchini? If so, what wet ingredient would I need to reduce? Thanks so much! Love your blog. You inspire me!

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey August 17, 2012

I love this recipe! I want to try making it again but with agave instead of sugar. How much almond milk do you think I’d need to reduce and do you have a general idea of how much agave to put in?

Samantha August 20, 2012

Do you need to squeeze the moisture out of the zucchini prior to mixing it in with the other wet ingredients? My loaf was UBER-moist – I tried baking it at 375 for a bit longer…almost an hour and 15 minutes, in fact, which seems like a crazy amount of time for zucchini bread! In the end I was too impatient to wait any longer, and while the outside pieces were delicious the inside was still too moist and uncooked :(

Not sure where I went wrong, but maybe next time I’ll just stick to 400 to ensure it bakes properly? Luckily I have about 90 pounds of zucchini in my kitchen :)

Samantha September 4, 2012

Has anyone else had this issue? I really want to make it again but don’t want to waste the ingredients if it doesn’t work…would really appreciate any feedback!

Cat August 23, 2013

Hi, I just made it too and had the same problem. I was sad as it cost a lot for the ingredients and I was going to use it for a snack at work. I cooked mine for at least an hour and a half and it was still gooey and inedible. It seems as if many people have written with the same problem. Why has the author of this recipe not responded to any of the concerns? I surely won’t use any of the other recipes on this site. There are many good vegan cookbooks that are true and tested. I will stick to those.

Chris August 25, 2012

Always on the look out for oil free recipes since I have
2 stents and am on a strict diet.
Love your recipes, love your photos, and thoroughly
enjoy your friendly and funny blogs!

Carolyn September 8, 2012

Just made this and OMG – best ever! I didn’t have spelt flour and used 1 cup whole wheat and 1 cup white whole wheat flour. It was less dense, but incredibly delicious. I will be making this frequently. Thank you!

butters September 14, 2012

Hey Angela when i first saw this recipe i fell in love wit it I try giving it a try i followed everything right but one thing i did add was some shredded carrots. and for some reason the inside did not cook i left it in the oven for over an hour on 375 i do not know where i went wrong.. can u help…

Amelia October 26, 2012

Dear Angela,
You are such an inspiration to me! I am sixteen years old and have been struggling with an eating disorder for two and a half years. I have been treated four times, and I am finally trying to eat healthily and get my life back. This year, I have come to learn about the cruelty dealt to animals in the food/ clothing/ cosmetics industries. I am dying to become vegan and teach others about the benefits to humans and animals when abstaining from meat. Unfortunately, I am forced to eat meat twice a week, which I eat in the form of fish. It is a painful process, because I feel disgusting and horrible for the animals. Putting meat into my body just feels wrong! I have one in the fight to refuse dairy, though!!! I have also had lots of trouble with exercise, which means that this is the first year I can exercise healthily! Being as healthy as you is my goal!! Thank you for your recipes!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 31, 2012

Thank you Amelia!! I appreciate your kind words.

Sarah May 30, 2013

BEST ZUCCHINI BREAD EVER!!!
Thank you so much for this & all of your amazing recipes. Seriously, every recipe from this blog is fantastic, and this bread is definitely no exception. So moist, such fantastic flavors, and best of all, healthy!!!
Love it!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2013

thank you Sarah!

Shannon June 24, 2013

Wow – this loaf is amazing! I brought it along with me to a girls weekend where no one else is Vegan. Forget about not believing it was Vegan – they couldn’t get past the fact that it is oil-free. Absolutely delicious!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Page 3 of 4«1234»