Oil-Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG 7457   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Man, I’m feeling bummed right now. I would guess that my mom is too based on her tears when I dropped her off at the airport this morning. She starts to cry, then I start to cry…it ain’t pretty! I think I even saw a nearby taxi driver shed a tear.

We always have such a great time together and then when it’s all over I feel a pit in my stomach when she has to leave. I’ve already called her once since I got home from the airport. I may look like a grown woman, but I’m still a mama’s girl at heart. ;)

IMG 7460   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

The good news is, we’ll always have this incredible oil-free Zucchini loaf to remember the good times and great food on this trip!

I even sent her off with a big slice to take on the plane with her. It comforts me knowing that she has my yummy homemade food to eat instead of cardboard plane food. I’m a strong believer in wholegrain carbs when you’re feeling blue!

IMG 7589 2   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Plus, carbs are addicting which means that she’ll have to come back to visit real soon…right?

IMG 7463   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

IMG 7478   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

None of us could believe that this loaf does not contain oil! Magic trick #2 this weekend. (See Magic Trick #1: The eggless fluffy chocolate cupcake!)

The shredded zucchini does a wonderful job giving this loaf moisture..and you don’t taste the zucchini at all. You can see beautiful flecks of green though!

IMG 7463 3   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

It’s a very dense loaf, but not in a bad way! Whole grain spelt flour tends to make dense breads, but I just love the nutty flavour of spelt so I don’t mind. The walnuts, streusel, and raisins add just the right amount of sweetness and crunch.

IMG 7480   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

We’ve been enjoying this not-too-sweet loaf for breakfast or as an afternoon snack. If you like your baked goods sweet you might want to add another 1/4 cup of sugar, but we thought it was just perfect for a healthy snack.

It’s wonderful spread with Earth Balance, nut butter and jam…or just enjoyed plain!

IMG 7481   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

On that note, I think I may need some endorphin-inducing carbs to cheer me up…

IMG 7483 2   Oil Free Zucchini Walnut Raisin Loaf with Cinnamon Streusel

Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 14, 2011

Wow that looks SO good! I can’t believe there is no oil in it! That looks amazing!!!

dana @ my little celebration June 14, 2011

This looks looks great! I love zucchini and crumble topping. Glad you had fun with your mom! I miss mine a lot, too!

Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) June 14, 2011

I remember visiting my Grandmother as a little girl and watching my Mom cry as we left her house after our vacation was over. At the time I didn’t understand it because I had my Mom with me all the time, but now I can definitely relate. Leaving your Mom is hard!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 14, 2011

I totally agree. My mom used to always say to me, ‘You’ll understand when you are a mom someday!’

Heather (heathers dish) June 14, 2011

Oil free sounds perfect to me! Especially if streusel is involved!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 14, 2011

I’m glad you had such a nice time with your Mom! I’m lucky to live within 5 minutes of my parents, but when I lived a few hours away from them I remember getting so sad after they came for a visit — it is so nice to spend time with them!

NicoleD June 14, 2011

How sweet! I’m sure the slice she took with her helped :)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 14, 2011

I’ve never been a big fan of cooked zucchini (e.g. in a stirfry). Then last year my neighbour offered me a load of zucchini. I didn’t want to offend her so I took it. This led to some exploration and an amazing string of recipes: raw zucchini soup, chocolate zucchini bread, raw zucchini pastas, zucchini hummus etc. I love anything with streusel, so this recipe will get added to the mix!

Kristen June 14, 2011

My whole family just flew 3 hours to be here for my graduation from grad school (including my 3-month-old nephew!). I cried when they got here AND when they left :( Skype helps a lot, though, as does baking! (I call it baking therapy or stress baking…lol)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 14, 2011

This looks SO moist for being oil free! Can’t wait to try it!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 14, 2011

If anything could cheer you up it would definitely be a big fat slice of that yummy zucchini bread! :) Enjoy!

Katherine June 14, 2011

That bread is almost as gorgeous as you!

Amanda P June 14, 2011

This looks so good! Like the perfect after work snack for me. I must make this soon. My parents lives 800 miles away and its really hard when they leave after a great visit. Not fun. But they are coming to see me this weekend so I am excited, maybe I should make this for them!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) June 14, 2011

Beautiful bread, beautiful mom, beautiful you :) Moms are the best! and although my mom lives close by I miss her even I have’nt talked to her in awhile. I hope your day gets better :)

ellalinea June 14, 2011

This looks amazing angela! But I’m afraid if I make this, I’m gonna eat it in one sitting :)

Katie June 14, 2011

Oh, this looks so delicious! I started to tear up reading this post because I haven’t seen my mom since Christmas and I’m going home next week. This is the longest we’ve ever gone without seeing each other, so I am so excited to give her a big hug :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 14, 2011

I am bookmarking this NOW! My garden is about to overflow with zucchini!!

allison June 14, 2011

Awww i get to visit my family at the end of the month and i know ill be bawling when i leave:(:(

I love zucchini bread! it reminds me of summer, and my mom since she makes it every summer:):)

Sara (The Veggie-Eco Life) June 14, 2011

This looks really good! :)

Zestful Lou June 14, 2011

Now that I’m all grown up and moved out, I find myself calling my mom and dad a lot during the week just to chat!

I just had an interview for a full-time teaching position, and if I get the job I’m going buy myself a congratulatory camera like yours so that I can really start focusing on the photography portion of my blog!! I love your pictures.

I just happen to have a couple large zucchinis sitting in my fridge, as well as some negleted walnuts and raisins in my pantry. I think this recipe should put them to good use! I can’t wait to sink my teeth into this and top it with the strawberry freezer jam I just made!!!!

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 14, 2011

My mom just moved this past week, and it’ll be rough having to see each other via plane. Ugh… not looking forward to that!

The recipe looks great by the way! (as usual)

Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 14, 2011

My mom just left too so I can understand where you’re coming from (although our relationship is not as wonderful as yours is). This loaf looks so good that I think I can actually smell it through my computer screen… which may be why I’m unnecessarily close my screen…. :-)

Christina June 14, 2011

I always loved zucchini bread but an oil free zucchini bread tops the cake!! That sounds amazing and LOOKS delish! Hopefully when I get over this little cold it won’t be too warm for some baking :)

Cassidy June 14, 2011

Hey Angela, I was wondering… I have all the ingredients to make this loaf (which I plan on making today!) except I only have chia seeds. In general, would a chia egg work in place of a flax egg? Which do you prefer?

Ana June 14, 2011

I alternate when i bake between chia and flax so I think youd be fine but Angela probably knows better than i do

Ana June 14, 2011

I literally just put a loaf of zucchini bread in the oven when i saw your post! i was so disappointed that i didnt notice it earlier! Your recipe looks so much better, well maybe next time :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker June 14, 2011

I can’t believe there isn’t oil in this loaf either! Incredible. Anyway, I love all the shots with the Earth Balance. A little too much. Like . . . I NEED this in my preggo stomach NOW! <3

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 14, 2011

Oh my gosh, this is PERFECT timing! I really, really wanted to try out a new quick bread recipe this weekend. Ever since I made my first (good) gluten-free carrot cake loaf last month, I’ve been addicted to eating quick breads before my long runs on the weekend.
This looks so good. I will try to make it gluten free this weekend and report back. Dun dun duhhh… I’ve learned that making gluten free quick breads from a gluten recipe rarely works on the first try. So it may take me a bit to get it right!
Also, I love the soft corners (I’m sure there is a technical term) you’ve been making on your photographs lately. It adds such a nice touch!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 14, 2011

My inability to bake properly will totally not keep me from trying to make this!

ah-mazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaila @ healthy helper! June 14, 2011

I love baking with zuchinni!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 14, 2011

I am whispering to my zucchini plants what their fate will be. I’m sure they won’t mind. Mua ha ha. An oil free loaf? Count me in on trying this out!

Sarah June 14, 2011

Awww, Angela. I’m so sorry you had to say goodbye to your mother today. I hope you’re able to say hello to her again very soon.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 14, 2011

I always have such a hard time parting with my parents after a visit too. I hope you have another visit with her soon to look forward to though! :)

LizAshlee June 14, 2011

I feel the same way when I leave my family! Great plan for giving her some addicting carbs so she will come back to visit, although I am thinking she will be back for lots of other reasons, like maybe just to hang out with you amazing daughter!:) I always do best when I keep myself busy after my company leaves…takes your mind off things.

The loaf looks outstanding! and OIL-FREE!

Have a wonderful day!

LizAshlee
twitter.com/lizashleeblog

LizAshlee June 14, 2011

Oh I forgot to mention…I made a version of half the calories, double the fun almond butter (see today’s post) and I am thinking it would taste amazing on the loaf…I might just have to go do some baking!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 14, 2011

Oh girlie! I always feel the same way when I leave my mom. We’re separated by 6 hours in the car, and it’s way too far. ON a positive note, the loaf looks goooooood. Can’t believe it’s oil-free!

Stephenie Zamora June 14, 2011

Yum, this looks delicious and reminds me of my mom’s zucchini bread! And sending you a big hug! It’s only good bye for now, you’ll see her again soon! xo

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 14, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing!!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 14, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 14, 2011

The loaf looks wonderful. love the shot with the earth balance on it. Everything is better with butter :) Or buttery spreads.

And you and your mom getting all teary eyed upon leaving each other…Awww, Ange, major hugs! I know how close you and your mom are and I can only imagine you are feeling very….bummed right now. I hope you two can see each other again, soon!

And if nothing else, reading this makes me want to do everything I can so that one day Skylar and I are as close as you an your mama are…it’s just beautiful :)

Runnergirl June 14, 2011

Could the spelt flour be switched with whole wheat pastry flour? I’ve seen spelt flour but have never used it…what does it taste like? LOVE your blog ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 15, 2011

hmm im not sure! Sometimes I find WWPF can be crumbly in a loaf. Let me know if you try it out!

Runnergirl June 16, 2011

Thank you…I let you know if I try it. Or I may just get the spelt flour!

Mama Pea June 14, 2011

You are like me, make it oil free and then slather Earth Balance or nut butter on top! :)

Page 2 of 4«1234»