Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

IMG 7268 2   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

I was pleasantly surprised when I woke up this morning! The predicted morning thunderstorms were nowhere in sight which meant that I could get outside for exercise. I had a very windy 5 mile run and thought it was going to pour on me at one point, but then the sun peeked out and the wind was gone with the wind! The only water I encountered was the sweat pouring out of my skin on this humid morning.

After the run, I did 4 sets (10-15 reps each) of both push-ups and lunges. I’ve been trying to sneak in mini strength sessions lately in addition to Whittle My Middle because I find it much easier to sneak in strength work as opposed to longer sessions. Mini sessions are a good trick if you tend to get bored with strength work. The same goes for cardio too.

Today feels like The Friday Dance because we have a VIP coming tomorrow…OSGMOM is coming to visit us for several days!

img 9759   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

Yay for moms :)

Tomorrow, I’m driving up North to meet mom at Grandpa and Diane’s and then we’re going to meet my Grammy and Harry for lunch before heading back home. On Saturday, we’re having a family get together at our place with my Aunt Jenn and family. Good times. I still need to figure out what I’m making for dinner Saturday though!

Oh, and there will be lots of this going down…

img 77651   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

and this…muhauha.

20100919 IMG 7880   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

Last night, Eric was gathering old furniture for furniture pick-up day when I spotted this green antique chair that he planned on throwing out…

IMG 7219   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

That’s when the crazy old lady in me surfaced and my heart skipped a beat.

IMG 7213   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’ IMG 7217   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

I don’t know where the chair came from, but I knew that it had many more years of life in it!

Eric saw my eyes light up like a Christmas tree and he said, ‘I KNEW you would want to keep that chair!!!!’

Duh.

Like I said, many productive years of life left…

IMG 7223   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

Repurposed for a pretty green background for cupcake photos:

IMG 7224   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

In other good mood news, I finally had a successful recipe after a week of disasters. And I mean a week of disasters. I didn’t show half of the flops I had this week because it was just too painful to watch.

I finally I struck sweet  [whole-wheat] cupcake gold…

IMG 7267   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

IMG 7240   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

I love this vegan cupcake recipe with all my heart and I think that it rivals any non-vegan chocolate cupcake! My Aunt Jenn first introduced me to the famous eggless chocolate cake recipe and I’ve been hooked on them even before I became a vegan.

Today’s Modification:

For this adaptation, I wanted to use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose to make it a bit healthier. Instead of 1.5 cups of all-purpose, I used 1 cup of whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup of all-purpose. I was worried if I used 100% WWPF it wouldn’t work. Maybe next time I will try the full 1.5 cups!

The cupcakes turned out FABULOUS!

IMG 7231   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

They are a bit nuttier tasting than the all-purpose ones, but not in a bad way at all. I will DEFINITELY be making them with WWPF from now on!

IMG 7232   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

I decided to make a cinnamon-spiced ‘buttercream’ to go along with the cupcakes. I love the combo of chocolate with just a hint of cinnamon.

IMG 7209   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

IMG 72321   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

I opted not to make frosting turds this time. ;)

Here’s a shot without my diffusion disc:

IMG 7251   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

With diffusion disc (notice the shadows are gone)

IMG 7249   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

Dolled up with a couple antique china plates that I picked up at the antique market:

IMG 7275   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

The cupcakes tend to freeze well, so I popped them into containers and froze until the frosting got firm (about an hour or so). Then I added some plastic wrap over top of the cupcakes, sealed the container, and placed them back in the freezer. They will stay nice and fresh until the dinner party on Saturday!

IMG 7276   Vegan Whole Wheat Chocolate Cupcakes with Spiced ‘Buttercream’

By the way, a HUGE thank-you for your comments and emails yesterday regarding my gluten-free baking challenge. You sure know how to help a girl out! I’m sure that many other readers will benefit from all the information too. I’ll be sure to keep you posted with my GF + vegan trials and tribulations over the next few weeks.

Whew, I feel extra chatty today.

This Chatty Cathy needs to get back to work!

laura June 9, 2011

Love the green chair!
YUM. :)

Lisa @ happypuppyluckylady June 9, 2011

Yum!! Those cupcakes look soo good!! Cute idea to use the chair as a background for your cupcakes. You’re so clever always!

O.C. June 9, 2011

Ohmigoshh these look sooooo good!!
I gotta find a way to GF-ify these and make them, I’m feeling almond flour. The icing looks absolutely divine, though, I could probably just a big bowl of that on its own :)

kate June 9, 2011

I love the idea of a cinnamon spiced buttercream! soooo delicious

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) June 9, 2011

i love the chair!!! WOAHSHHHSH look at the dripping frosting.. hubba bubba!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 9, 2011

This looks wonderful, especially the cinnamon buttercream! Have so much fun with your mom!

Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) June 9, 2011

Yum! I’m going to bake these and bring them to our next work event :)
I also try and get a few quick sets of lunges or pushups in when I can, hopefully I’ll be able to see a difference :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh June 9, 2011

Seriously LOVE that chair! I love anything antique looking at colorful! :) ANNNDD most of all I am loving those cupcakes :) I think adding whole wheat into the mix makes it all the more better!!

jenna June 9, 2011

I LOVE that chair and these cupcakes look awesome! :)

do you take anything for safety with you when you run in the mornings? would you mind talking about it a bit in one of your posts? It’s a touchy subject i’m sure but i was just curious b/c it’s the one thing that always holds me back from getting out in the mornings.

Kelly @foodiefresh June 9, 2011

Those look so delicious!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 9, 2011

That green is such a beautiful color! Very summer-y looking ;)

Those cupcakes look to die for. I wish you could come to my kitchen and bake them for me.

Nicole June 9, 2011

Ange,

If you’re interested in doing another challenge this month, check out the Raw Ice Cream Sandwich Challenge I’m hosting with Lisa! It should be fun.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe June 9, 2011

Awesome! I love “spiced” desserts. That diffusion disc really makes a difference!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 9, 2011

That’s just the chair everyone needs for taking photos of cupcakes on! hehe! I’m pretty sure I could eat the cinnamon frosting all on its own and be perfectly content. :) I hope your mom has a safe flight and have fun when she gets here! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 9, 2011

I want to take a big bite of one of those immediately!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 9, 2011

THanks for the cupcake freezing tips – I would have never thought to let the icing freeze and then go back with plastic wrap! Duh. :)

Questions: what exactly does apple cider vinegar do for baked goods?

kris (everyday oats) June 9, 2011

That green chair is so cute! Glad you’re keeping it :)

I love whole-wheat cupcakes. I think the whole-wheat in it gives it a little extra umph! Yay for striking cupcake gold!

Ashley June 9, 2011

That green chair is amazing! When I worked for my university’s arts and literature journal, we had this amazing teal set of drawers that we used all the time for pictures! And those antique plates are adorable.
I am making this recipe tonight– because not only did I try almond milk (the vanilla kind) for the FIRST time today and LOVED it but because I’m supposed to make a dessert for a get together with some friends tomorrow night:) These will be perfect!

allison June 9, 2011

Yay for moms:) i cant wait to see mine in a few weeks:):):)

And i KNOW these cupcakes will be amazing cause everything you post is always so delicious!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 9, 2011

The green chair is super cute! I would have wanted to keep it too!

The cupcakes look amazing. I love cinnamon so I totally want to make a bowl of that frosting!

Julie @ Shining From Within June 9, 2011

I love finding little hidden gems in my house! Loving how you show/tell a bit more about your photography :)

Leanne @ The Skinny Architect June 9, 2011

That spiced buttercream icing is the best I have ever had, vegan or otherwise. I made the gingerbread for an camping trip (don’t worry, it was classy camping, we had a hot tub) and everyone loved it!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2011

aww thanks Leanne!

Jen June 9, 2011

I love chocolate and cinnamon together almost as much as I love chocolate and peanut butter together! These look fabulous! If I weren’t eating gluten-free right now…I’d bake them!

Heidi @ Food Doodles June 9, 2011

Mmm, those look beautiful. I’ve been in such a baking mood lately and yet everything has been flops for me too :( Well, not entirely, most everything tastes great, but I had bread stick to pans(a whole batch of 4 loaves stuck to their pans :( ) and then a larger loaf got stuck in my dutch oven which meant I had to bake the second one in a weird pan. And some raw goodies turned out weird. It’s been a funky week. I should give these cupcakes a try, they look fantastic. And I love that there are no weird ingredients in them, just everything that I already have in my cupboard :D

kaila @ healthy helper! June 9, 2011

OMG these look amazing! They look perfect too! Perfectly even and round! Love pretty food! And cinnamon buttercream!?!?! I need you to be my personal chef!

Ashley June 9, 2011

BAH! I want that chair!!! :) SO excited for you to get to visit with your mom!! I could go for a green smoothie followed by wine myself!

Gen June 9, 2011

YUM! Love chocolate and cinnamon together! :D

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 9, 2011

LOVE LOVE LOVE that green chair!

Andrea @ Vegvacious June 9, 2011

Those cupcakes look divine & I LOVE your spiced buttercream; it’s one of my favourite frostings!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots June 9, 2011

Looks delicious! :-)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 9, 2011

Glad you are spending some QT with Momma OSG!!

Those cupcakes looks amazing! :)

Tichina June 9, 2011

I work in real estate and get to see a ton of houses; recently, I got the the chance to view an interior designer’s home…it looked like it belonged in an IKEA magizine, I kid you not haha. She had an old red chair done up just like yours set as the focal point of the entrace, turning old things into new is clearly in style :):)

Heather (heathers dish) June 9, 2011

Oh girl that chair is so cute! I love the color! Perfect backdrop for your cupcakes…but really, I dont knownif there could be a BAD backdrop when cupcakes are involved!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 9, 2011

That chair is so cute! It would look adorable either indoors or outside with a potted plant on it. I think I’ve been reading too many Martha Stewart Living magazines… :P

Molly @ RDexposed June 9, 2011

I’d keep the green chair, too!!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 9, 2011

Ahhh that chair is so cute!! I definitely have a crazy old lady inside me too! LOVE quirky bits of furniture like that! Men just don’t get the value of these things! Thank god were around! ;) And those cupcakes look lovely too! Think I may have to try them this week! :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 9, 2011

Lahhhhhhve. Now you should make a gf version! ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 9, 2011

Repurposed for a pretty green background for cupcake photos = YES!!!!!!!

And I love it in the pics!

And this diffusion disc…what is this wonderous gadget you speak of that I don’t own?! I think I better get my amazon account and credit card ready b/c I have a feeling I need it, pronto. The difference in the photos is remarkable!

When I’ve done modeling and photo shoots, sometimes photographers will put up what they call a “beauty disc”…it softens your face, lines, skin imperfections, etc so I wonder if it’s the same principle.

The cinnamon buttercream…omg I could just DRINK that.

And a week of flops…I made something that I know what to do to tweak it and was able to salvage it for photos but it was literally CRUMBLING apart as I was done with the photos. Like, I didnt get them taken a moment too soon. Flops. Yes. Life of a cook :)

AGS @ WestWithFlight June 9, 2011

I love that you make mistakes and fess up to it. It makes it double fun to celebrate (and drool) over your successes! ;)

I had a quiet chuckle over your chair. . . my husband loves holding on to things and “repurposing”. I’m the one left trying to sneak stuff out of the house for neighborhood recycle/clean-up days. Blog — 1 / Eric — 0. I feel Eric’s pain. And I hope you know just how much that man loves you for putting up with holding onto beat-up old chairs! There — go give him an extra gluten free cupcake!! ;)

AGS @ WestWithFlight June 9, 2011

Clarification: only your “success” gluten free cupcakes will work as a reward. So I guess you will keep Eric and the rest of us in suspense until then. . .

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 9, 2011

haha love the photos on your new-old chair! =) This looks and sounds abs divine!

xoXOxo