The Gluten-Free & Vegan Recipe Challenge

20100920-IMG_8185

I often like to attack vegan recipe challenges with gusto, spearing my spatula into the air while whisking a flax egg like a crazy person. However, as much as I like to consider myself a fearless vegan baker, there is one type of baking that makes me shake in my boots: Gluten-free baking.

I was recently asked to participate in a gluten-free and vegan recipe challenge with a group of bloggers, organized by Marly. The challenge is to create a gluten-free, vegan baked good, which will be appearing on our blogs on June 30th.

Fear set in.

Questions began to swirl through my mind.

Vegan…and gluten-free?…ahhhh! Would my oven burst into flames protesting the task? Would my husband disown me if I brought home one more ingredient from the grocery store?

Naturally, I hit reply and said I would love to participate. There would be no shaking in my apron allowed!

Given that the deadline is June 30th, I thought I would use the next few weeks to ‘get my toes wet’ with gluten-free baking. The recipe that I agreed to make for the challenge is a muffin recipe, but I decided to start with a cookie because it was ‘fail-proof’.

I think you know where this is going…heh.

I picked up Bob’s Red Mill All-purpose GF flour from the Superstore. I already had some Xanthan Gum, which has been collecting dust in my cupboard for about 2 years (it was originally purchased at Bulk Barn).

IMG_7191

I was now armed to make GF and vegan baking magic happen! whohoo.

Mistake #1: Assuming that I could play around with a gluten-free and vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe….

Recipe called for too much oil.

Less oil, more applesauce, duh.

Too much sugar.

Less sugar, more…something, duh.

Uh oh, the batter is too wet.

More GF flour, duh.

As you can see, I’m a scientist in the kitchen.

IMG_7186

Well, it wasn’t pretty. The batter- for lack of a better description- was like the coating on a worm. Glossy, and elastic. Not cool.

Mistake #2: I figured the oven could fix mistake #1.

The timer started to beep and I ran into the kitchen with nervous anticipation. I opened the door and saw a sight that no cookie lover should ever witness…

IMG_7195

Mushy & puffy chocolate chip cookies that even Eric refused to touch. And this is coming from a man who would probably eat worms if they were covered in chocolate. I wouldn’t even go as far to say that they were ‘cake-like’ or ‘muffin-like’; they did not deserve such accolades.

‘Puffy cookie mush’ is all I can tell you.

IMG_7192

And what the heck is going on with the cookie on the right? It looks like it exploded chocolate chips!

IMG_7194-2

Alas, it might take me a few days to work up my GF and vegan baking courage again!

Fortunately, there’s always a vegan recipe that never lets me down. Ok, that was a lie.

It rarely lets me down…

IMG_7205

That would be the Green Monster of course. A delight to the taste buds. A thank-you to the body. A reason why you should always check your teeth and green moustache before going out in public!

IMG_7201

I knew today was going to be a hot one, so I set out for a 4-mile run just after sunrise. Before leaving for a morning run, I typically have 1/2 a banana for a bit of fuel. After the run, I did a sweaty 7-minute Whittle My Middle session (KILLER!) and then I made breakfast- a Cherry Banana Green Monster made up of 1 cup non-dairy milk, 1/2 cup frozen cherries, 1 frozen banana, 2 handfuls spinach, protein powder, and 1 tbsp chia seeds.

Perfecto!

Lately, I’ve been adding Nature’s Path Kamut puff cereal for fun. This is the good kind of puff. Those cookies were not.

IMG_7204

[FYI- My Chilled No Bake Double Chocolate Torte is vegan and gluten-free if you are looking for a successful GF + vegan dessert recipe.]

Now, this whole challenge has me curious- do I have many gluten-free readers out there?

Have you ever tried gluten-free baking? Do you have any tips for me?

I have about 20 days to get my act together…or bust!

1 Christa June 8, 2011

Cooking gluten free can be really fun and tasty once you get the hang of the ingredients :)

Check out Elena’s Pantry http://www.elanaspantry.com/ for some great recipes
or Spunky Coconut http://www.thespunkycoconut.com/

Good luck!

2 KATE June 8, 2011

I am also quite intimidated by GF baking and im not a fan of the gluten free flours I prefer mixing my own. I did a GF challenge for a month and really had to get creative I have been successful with gluten free breads & muffins but have had my share of flops as well. I love brown rice flour as well as tapioca starch I think the two of those usually end up with good results

3 Sara June 8, 2011

Gluten-free smoothies certainly are much easier. I just had an oatmeal cookie green monster myself. Yum!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

4 Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) June 8, 2011

Can’t wait to see what you come up with next! Practice definitely makes perfect, I think it would be very hard to cook gluten free, let alone attempt baking so bravo to you!
I might start my own little challenge of trying new vegan meals here and there, it’s always fun to mix things up in the kitchen :)

5 Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten free June 8, 2011

Good luck! Gluten free vegan baking is hard – no structure from gluten and no structure from eggs is a challenge. Here are some tips just from my personal experience:
I recommend not using x-gum, you don’t really need it unless you’re making something that requires a lot of gluten (like bread).
Baking by weight is key for gluten free baking – especially if you make your own flour mix, all those flours have different weights and densities.
Vegan gluten free batter is much stickier than regular batter or vegan batter.

Other than that, it just takes a lot of research and experimentation! I hope those tips help!
Try a brownie or cupcake recipe – they do nicely when vegan and gluten free.

6 Rebecca June 9, 2011

I agree completely with you on everything! Xantham gum really isn’t needed in most GF baking unless it’s something like bread (even leave it out of pizza crust if making that GF). And GF batter is absolutely much stickier than regular batter!
I’ll add another suggestion, while I absolutely love the Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Flour, it isn’t necessarily best to use in everything. For baking, you might be better off using the individual flours (rice, tapioca, potato starch, arrowroot, etc.). The ratio of the flours in the all-purpose might not be right for what you are making.

7 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 8, 2011

I would love to experiment with GF cooking! Sounds daunting but a worthy challenge!

8 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 8, 2011

I’ve actually never tried gluten free or vegan baking yet, but I’m hoping to change that this weekend when I make your chocolate torte for a barbecue! Wish me luck ;)

9 Leigh June 8, 2011

Hi! My BIG tip is to NOT use Bobs Red Mill All purpose. In a pinch or when you need quick gf goods, it will work. But if you want something to taste like it’s not gluten free, stick with making your own flour blend. I recommend 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
1 cup soy flour (can substitute garbanzo, fava, sorghum)
3/4 cup potato starch (can substitute corn, arrowroot)
3/4 cup tapioca starch (can substitute corn, arrowroot)
1/2 cup masa harina (can substitute almond meal

Bean flour also leaves an iffy taste, so for mose things I avoid it.

With Gf baking, you don’t often need to bake things as long. An overdone gf cookie has a whole different flavor than a wheat based one.
Good luck!!

10 Jessica June 8, 2011

I have to second this one…I am gluten free as well as my 3 yr old and after lots of experience, I stay away from Bobs Red Mill. You could definitely make your own as suggested, or you could use Pamela’s baking mix. It is so good!! Everything by Pamelas is awesome! Good luck!!!

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

heheh I KNEW someone was going to say that! Figures…it’s never as easy as a pre-made mix right?

12 Julia June 8, 2011

I’ll third this one. My husband is GF and he has a reaction to the Bob’s Red Mill all purpose flour. We do a mix very similar to yours minus the masa harina. I do use xantham gum and usually add more if I am making a crust for pie etc. Pamelas is excellent-he loves the pancake waffle mix. A great cookie recipe that I started with to experiment with flour was from Vegetarian Times called The Heart-healthiest chocolate chip cookie, here’s the link, http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10870.

Good Luck :o)

13 Dana June 8, 2011

I find you can make less expensive and healthier mixes too! I try to use a flour like buckwheat in my mix (just grinding the groats in the Vita Mix) vs. brown rice because it has more nutrients. Sorghum is fantastic, as is teff (can find at Bulk Barn). I actually have GREAT results with muffins using teff flour…my teff blueberry muffins with coconut oil (really helps with moistness), coconut palm sugar among a few other things turn out awesome. Hope this helps!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2011

Hey Dana,

Do you suggest ivory or brown teff in the muffins? Tks!

15 Dana June 26, 2011

My closest Bulk Barn only sells the brown teff flour, so that’s what I’ve used. Ivory would probably work well too though!

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2011

thanks Dana!

17 Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten free June 9, 2011

Pamela’s is the best gf mix I’ve found so far!

18 Kendra June 8, 2011

Some good recipes that you can adapt from are in Erin Mckenna’s Babycakes vegan and mostly gluten free baking book, and the Flying Apron’s vegan and gluten free baking book by Jennnifer Katzinger. the first one still uses a lot of sugar and agave, which I’m not fond of, but the second focuses more on whole grains and sweetening with maple syrup. They are both good for ideas!

19 Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey June 8, 2011

I am so intimidated by GF baking! Vegan baking is second nature now, but I’m too afraid to work with GF flours. I commend you! :)

20 Kayli (Running on Sunshine) June 8, 2011

I highly suggest you get your hands on the Babycakes cookbook by Erin McKenna! It is filled with vegan, mostly gluten-free, FABULOUS recipes from her famous NYC bakery. After baking my way through her cookbook, I am comfortable with concocting my own GF recipes. Her chocolate chip cookie recipe is over the moon amazing!

Good luck!!

21 cassi June 8, 2011

i have celiac and am vegan–i’m super fun to cook for. i agree with leigh–stay away from Bob’s Red Mill GF All Purpose! makes things taste SOOOO gluten free, which is bad…

22 Kristina June 8, 2011

Oh, I am so excited to see what things you make for this challenge. I discovered I had a severe wheat allergy about a year ago. Finding gluten free and vegan/vegetarian meals in a cookbook can be challenging but the internet has troves of good recipes!

23 Kim June 8, 2011

My advice – stay away from Bob’s All Purpose GF for a baked good. It has too much garbanzo flour in it and often turns bitter in sweets. Took me a while to figure that out, but since then I have a rule in my kitchen – no garbanzo allowed in baked sweets. :) Almond meal (straight or mixed with lighter flours) will give you delicious results.

Good luck! Can’t wait to see what you come up with.

24 JT June 8, 2011

The gf mixes generally have xanthan gum in them. I mostly use almond flour and coconut flour for my gf baking…rice flour mixes (in my opinion) can be bland and gritty. Also, gf products with rice flour mixes can be denser and sit heavier in the tummy. But….
Don’t be afraid!!! :)
Gf baking is like everything else, adopt a “can-do” attitude and try, try, try again.

25 K June 8, 2011

I am with you on this one! I am not someone who needs to eat gluten free, but some of my favourite recipes happen to be free of wheat/gluten! Quite a few years ago, I tried out coconut and almond flour (after visiting the Elana’s Pantry website) and now I love to use the almond pulp leftover from making almond milk, regular almond flour, coconut flour, chickpea flour…you name it! I definitely prefer single-ingredient ground whole foods to mixes. That said, I have eaten some delicious GF mix-based baked goods! When all else fails, I say, just go flourless! Can’t go wrong with a rich, flourless chocolate cake!

26 Ruth June 8, 2011

Good luck! I’m always trying to adapt recipes and it’s always so disappointing when something you really hoped was going to be delicious turns out to be a flop. I’m always trying to improve my recipe for challah and I’ve definitely had one or two bad outcomes. I’ve never tried gluten-free baking though. That’s a whole new challenge!

27 Meredith June 8, 2011

Gluten free baking is definitely something I’m nervous about trying! My mom bought me the newest Babycakes cookbook for Easter, but I’m worried about spending my precious student dollars on gluten free ingredients and have the recipe be a dud. Good luck! I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

28 Kathleen June 8, 2011

I’ve been gluten free for a year now, and baking is tricky! A few big things I’ve learned:

1. The pre-mixed flours are not very good for sweet baking. I’m thinking it’s the use of bean flours in most of them. They lend a strange spongey texture and odd flavor. Some of my family members don’t mind, but I’m not a fan.

2. If you mix your own flours, you have to go by weight due to all the different densities. A kitchen scale was the best investment I ever made.

3. The batter will ALWAYS be sticky! Don’t think you can overcome this by adding more flour – you will ALWAYS have wet, liquidy batter, and if you add too much flour you will just have an end product that crumbles to dust (I know this all-too-well from experience). I actually like making bread this way – no kneading required, just let the liquid batter rise, then bake!

4. A couple websites to go to for really great all-pupose GF flour recipes: glutenfreegirl.com, and noglutennoproblem.blogspot.com.

Good luck! I’m really looking forward to your recipe!!

29 Jacklynn Walters June 8, 2011

It is not vegan but Pamela’s AP GF flour (x gum in mix) is the BEST, turns out the same (even better) than other baking. They might have a vegan option. Unlike another comment I think x gum is much needed as I left it out of some GF brownies and it was a flop! Might try other GF flours (check Whole Foods as they have a good selection). Best of luck in your Vegan GF baking! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

30 kaila @ healthy helper! June 8, 2011

You’ll make some thing GREAT ange!!! You always make the best stuff so I am sure you”ll think of something fabulous! Even though those cookies were a flop they actually look pretty yummy! :)

31 Lungs June 8, 2011

Angela, is it just me, or does your second GM photo look like it’s …smiling? I’m seeing the kamut puffs as hair, and in the actual mason jar, what are probably actually little air bubbles seem like a smile and two eyes. Right below the screw part of the jar.

Could be just me, but I saw it right away and it struck me as cute as hell.

32 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 8, 2011

My husband and I are currently reducing gluten and cow dairy in our diet, so this is right up my alley! Get this: i have even done grain-free baking! It’s possible, and quite tasty. I haven’t done too much gf baking, but I hear apple cider vinegar and flax are key ingredients. Good luck, I look forward to your experiments!

33 Jessica@ Fruit and Veggie Tales June 8, 2011

We are gluten free! Baking GF is so much different than it is with gluten! I used to make wedding cakes before I found out we have Celiac Disease and now I would looooove to have a G Free cake shop but it’s a lot of work! Experiment with lots of different flour combinations, a heavy flour and a light flour are usually needed to bring the flavors together better, there are also medium grade flours. Sorghum, teff, coconut ( a fave!), millett, buckwheat, gluten free oat, brown rice…..be creative and you will be surprised!

34 Apron Appeal June 8, 2011

I have all the gluten free fixin’s in my pantry too but I’ve yet to take the leap of faith. I did finally get around to making your cheesy cracker recipe. I was super worried, because the dough was not my favorite. But like you and your cookies here, I decided to see if the chemical reaction in the oven would be enough to make them delicious…IT WORKED!!! I have a cracker. yum.

35 Amanda (Eating Up) June 8, 2011

My sister Ashley (from Sweet & Natural) and I decided to make three different gluten free cupcakes as the dessert for Christmas dinner two years ago. We never had tried gluten free baking, and we didn’t test the recipes. We tried to modify the cupcake recipes so they were gf and sadly, it was a mess. One of the cupcakes turned into impromptu bread pudding. One of them did work though! And the frosting was quite delicious on all of them.

36 Sarah Dean June 8, 2011

I have a friend who is gluten intolerant….and Ive learned from her, NEVER USED PRE MIXED FLOUR!!! Potato and tapioca I hear is great-she even make perogies with no problems!!!:) Good luck angela!! gluten free baking scares the bejeebers out of me!!!;)

37 Julie @ Shining From Within June 8, 2011

I am just as lost as you are with GF baking.. seems like a whole other planet to me! Good luck though, I’m sure you’ll be able to figure out a delicious recipe :)

38 Michelle | Gold-Hearted Girl June 8, 2011

Gluten free, here!

39 Evan Thomas June 8, 2011

Gluten-free/vegan baking is a challenge, but if you stick with it you start to get some great go-to recipes from it. If I were you I’d start with anything BUT cookies. Cookies are the hardest thing to make since there’s no protein structure to stop them from spreading everywhere. Simple gluten-free starter recipes are cakes and cupcakes because the form helps them to keep their shape until they’re cooked.

40 Jen @newellnd June 8, 2011

I have been baking Gluten-free for ages now….best advice I can pass on is to mix your own flour combo. Bob’s Red Mill isn’t amazing and has only led to failure for me. I am hooked on the flour mix created by the blogger “Hey That Tastes Good” though I mix that one up by adding millet flour occasionally. Feel free to drop me a line if you need any help (I’m pretty local and more than willing to sit down and chat about baking gluten-free)

41 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 8, 2011

I went gluten free for 3 weeks during a cleanse and now that I’m back to eating foods with gluten, I’m pretty sure I don’t have any issues in that department. Savoury main dishes are so much easier to make GF than baked goods! I tried my hand at a couple of things and they were edible but not fantastic. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

42 Gen June 8, 2011

I’m currently trying to reduce the gluten in my diet…..will definitely be looking forward to your baking adventures! :D

43 Mary June 8, 2011

Coconut flour, coconut oil, bananas, & applesauce are common ingredients I use =)

44 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 8, 2011

Angela, vegan AND Gf baking is hard! Very hard for me at least! I think that some people get a knack for it over time, and it becomes more second nature, they can cook more “by feel” and know what to add more of, reduce, fold in, etc but for me, I am not skillful enough that way and so the things I make that are baked + vegan + gf are not works of art…they taste good but they aren’t “pretty”…like my muffins are ok but they wouldnt get on FG or TS. Or my cookies taste great but again, not pretty. It’s an art to make it all come together I think!

One reason I gravitate toward raw/nobake things is that they are vegan and GF and the chances for flops are wayyyy less for me.

You will do wonderfully and can’t wait to see what you come up with!

45 Joanna June 8, 2011

I’ve been gluten free for years and usually avoid sweets because of it. It’s hard to find good gluten free recipes. I’ve used almond flour and oat flour and they seem to work well. Best of luck!

46 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston June 8, 2011

Man, I wish I were in this challenge!!! I GF bake all the time!!

47 Rhona June 8, 2011

I have never made anything gluten free and I am really scared to. It just looks too complicated and too much work. I have eaten gluten free cookies and muffins, but that is about it. Good luck.

48 Emily @ Savory and Savage June 8, 2011

I used to make gluten free dog treats but since they were made with liver I doubt that will be much help :-)

49 Julia June 8, 2011

Vegan baking is do-able, but I never tried vegan and gluten free! I’m sure you will have no problem coming up with delicious recipes, though. That GM looks so refreshing on this killer hot day.

50 Jen June 8, 2011

I’m recently gluten-free! After testing my sensitivity, I’m pretty sure I have an intolerance. (I have an official appointment with a gastroenterologist next week.) I’ve only baked one batch of cupcakes thus far, and they came out great! They were not vegan though. One thing I’ve noticed about most gluten-free recipes for baked goods is that they consist of a lot of eggs. I’m talking three or four eggs for about a dozen cupcakes. As for tips, I’ve heard that combining gluten-free flours yields the best results. You should look up different gluten-free flour combinations if that all-purpose GF isn’t impressing you. (By the way, I just bought that same flour, but still haven’t used it. I’ll let you know if I make any successful recipes with it.)

51 Melanie June 8, 2011

Looking forward to your GF vegan recipe. My husband and I both have gluten sensitivity (as well as dairy and eggs). This makes for some interesting eating. Gluten free baking is very difficult, I am finding. I have been on the search for a great gluten free bread recipe for the last few years (it also has to be made without dairy and eggs–thus the difficulty). Most that I have tried have been failures :( We’ve eaten our fair share of heavy little loaves of bread. I’m looking forward to checking out all the recipes in this GF challenge.

Love your blog. I’m continually trying to get my husband to eat less meat and realize that a meal doesn’t have to include meat in order to be complete. I must say that he/we absolutely loved your Avocado pasta sauce. Thanks so much for sharing all your fabulous recipes and your lives with us!

52 Kelsey June 8, 2011

I’ve never attempted to bake anything gluten-free because I’ve never needed to. I wouldn’t know where to start!

53 Liv June 8, 2011

I’ve been celiac for a while now, so gluten free baking is pretty second nature for me! my favorite gluten free cookies is made with lemon meringue, you should definitely try it – delicious!

54 Heather June 8, 2011

I am soooo excited for the recipes that you will be creating!

P.S. What kind of protein do you use in your green monsters?

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 26, 2011

Vega choc o lot right now and smoothie infusion :)

56 Courtney June 8, 2011

I have been cooking GF DF for over a year now. I threw away a lot of foods at first but I am really getting the hang of it now. My favorite is a lasagna I make GF, DF, and it’s vegan. Even friends and family who don’t eat a altered diet love it.
I also make my own flour mixes, pre-mixed GF flour is too high is carbs. Montina Flour and Teff are two of my favorite flours to use in baking but it can give a molasses type flavor. Teff and Sorghum used for chocolate chip cookies is Delish!
I think you learn to cook what your diet needs are. It was hard at first but now it’s hard for me to cook traditional anymore because I rarely do it. Good luck I know you will do well!

57 Moni'sMeals June 8, 2011

I wish I had tips for you…I don’t. I don;t avoid gluten so I have not had to cross this bridge. :)

Is it wrong that the cookies looked good to me?! haha!

58 Cassandra June 8, 2011

I am not gluten-free but love experimenting in the kitchen, so I often play around with different gluten-free recipes. I really like this flour mix from Bryanna Clark Grogan: http://www.make-your-own-bread.com/gluten_free_flour_mix.html. You can store the big batch in the freezer and use it pretty easily as a sub for wheat flours.

59 my little celebration June 8, 2011

I haven’t dabbled in gluten-free baking much, but I love exploring Ashley’s site – edible perspective – for her recipes using buckwheat. It’s a great alternative to flour!

60 Sarah-Marie June 8, 2011

I just baked some blondie bars this morning made with garbanzo beans if you can believe it!

The recipe is gluten-free and vegan:) There’s no flour in the recipe- just the pureed chickpeas, flax seed (can also sub in oat flour), baking soda, baking powder, peanut butter, dark brown sugar (or sweetener of choice), and a splash of vanilla extract.

I imagine you could play around with the proportions to create a cookie as well. Delicious, and even my wary husband would agree!

61 Sarah-Marie June 8, 2011

This also reminds me: my Iranian friend’s family has a well-guarded recipe for cookies made with chickpea flour. One of my favorites! In searching for a similar recipe, I’ve found this one: http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2011/05/oatmeal-and-chickpea-flour-cookies/

Worth a try!

62 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 8, 2011

Too bad about the puffy cookies! Although I’d probably still eat them :)

63 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 8, 2011

Everything I bake is gluten-free and vegan, so this shouldn’t be too hard ;)

64 thehealthyapron June 8, 2011

I had to experiement with gluten free baking in my internship…the results were not rpetty…so bad in fact I actually GAGGED with one of the samples. UG. I feel your pain haha

65 Ally June 8, 2011

I am GF!!

66 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 8, 2011

Oooh is that Nature’s Path Kamut Puffs I’ve spotted in the top of that Green Monster!? :) I don’t really do much gluten free baking but lately I’ve been limiting the amount of gluten in my diet and going for chia breads (yay Silver Hills!) and gluten-free grains instead. I like to think it’s having a positive effect!
PS. Those cookie mush balls don’t look that bad. Next time, I’ll be more than happy to taste test for you!

67 Michelle June 8, 2011

LOL! This is great. Been there, done that. I know that some people have suggested not using Bob’s Red Mill, and I agree to a certain extent. I have a muffin recipe that I converted using Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit & Baking Mix. This mix is better because it has starches in it as well as xanthan gum, plus the taste is not as strong as the bean flours.

However, because of the price and the fact that I don’t know how much starch/xanthan gum there is, I prefer my own mixes. One place that you can check out is Gluten-Free Gobsmacked (http://glutenfree.wordpress.com/my-gf-flour-blend/) who has posted a flour mix that can usually be used cup for cup in place of the gluten flour (does that make sense?). I have used it a few times when I’m just starting to play with a recipe to help me figure things out.

Also, another good blog is Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef (http://glutenfreegirl.com/). I’m sorry to say that I can’t say exactly where, but somewhere in her blog she discusses weighing the gluten-free flours instead of measuring and the workings of that; it’s all based on a particular book but I can’t remember which one off the top of my head.

Finally, Karina’s Kitchen (http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/). I love her blog and she has some fabulous recipes using her own flour combinations and vegan substitutions. I can’t wait to see how you do!!! I know that it will be fabulous!!! All the best.

68 Michelle June 8, 2011

Ooops, and one last thing. Simpy Sugar and Gluten-Free has some great articles about gluten-free flours and blending them.

69 mariah (pictures pups and pies) June 8, 2011

I have recently been experimenting with gluten free recipes too- I jus bought that same Bob’s Red Mill flour a few weeks ago. I have also been baking gluten free dog treats :) because a lot of pets have gluten allergies! So far, I have noticed things are more crumbly and fall apart easier- but the crumbly aspect hasn’t effected the taste (for dogs or people!)

70 Sara June 8, 2011

Hi Angela,

IF you have a minute … I’m just wondering what Protein powder you used. Still Amazing Grass? I tried Vega the other day and it tasted like pure aspartame to me (obviously it wasn’t, but it just had that weird taste). Does Amazing Grass leave a weird taste as well???

Thanks :)

71 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 8, 2011

I am not gluten-free, but I do strive to have a low-gluten diet. Try using different flour alternatives – ground (gluten-free) oats, almond flour, rice flour (though rice flour can be finicky with texture).

I can’t wait to see what you create! I know it wil be delish! :)

72 Becca June 8, 2011

I do gluten-free and vegan baking all of the time, but it took some practice to get it right.

My suggestion for newbies is to use buckwheat flour or oat flour (those flours are the easiest to work with, in my opinion, with buckwheat being great for chocolate baking (like brownies or chocolate cake) and with oat flour for lighter recipes (like vanilla cupcakes or banana bread)). Make the oat flour by grounding oats, but I prefer to buy my buckwheat and not grind kasha myself.

73 Namaste Gurl June 8, 2011

You should check out Gina, Gena, and Ashley’s page for gluten- free baking ideas– they’re pros at it! I eat primarily a gluten- free diet as gluten doesn’t agree with my stomach, but luckily there’s many recipes out there from amazing bloggers plus I love grains. :)

Everybody seems to be on the cherry kick these days… have you tried chocolate- cherry and coconut together? SO good

74 kris (everyday oats) June 8, 2011

Gluten free, vegan baking really can be quite the challenge, but if anyone can do it well…I know it’ll be you!

75 Rebecca June 8, 2011

What a fun challenge! I have total confidence in you ;)
You have GOT to try some of Elena’s Pantry gluten-free recipes: http://www.elanaspantry.com She uses almond flour which I find gives a really moist and “buttery” taste to cookies. I’m not GF, but I looove her baking recipes. They have so many good ingredients, you almost feel like you’re eating health food but yet they taste like indulgent treats.
These are my favorite cookie recipes:

76 Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) June 8, 2011

I’m a gluten free reader! I haven’t had much experience in the baking department yet, so I can’t help you out with any of those tips. Sorry. I can’t wait to see what you come up with though! I love trying your recipes.

77 Kristy H June 8, 2011

Even though the cookies were a flop, the pictures still look yummy. I have not dabbled in gluten free baking so im no help, but im sure you will come up with another amazing creation like you always do and ace it. Just remember how amazing your recipes were for project food blog!

78 Bree June 8, 2011

It has been said before, but definitely stay away from Bob’s Red Mill AP mix for sweets, way too bitter with the bean flours in it. A mix of flours is key and I really like sorghum. I bet using some gluten free oat flour for making your muffin recipe would be good. This definitely isn’t an easy task, so keep your chin up. Also, someone did mention starting with something other than cookies – I would recommend this as well. I am thinking (if you keep experimenting) that you may end up with different flour mix ratios for bread/cake like recipes and cookies. Good Luck!

79 katie June 8, 2011

yes, I’ve been GF for almost a year and baking still scares me. I started just buying the betty crocker mixes which were awesome! Then I tried baking with beans, coconut flour, and I finally bought my first all purpose GF flour the other day and hope to put it to use soon. I’m slowly getting the hang of it and when all else fails and I’m in a serious need for cookies I just do the classic 3 ingredient PB cookies (PB, eggs, sugar) which never ever fail!

80 bitt of raw June 8, 2011

I am vegan and gluten-free! I have a hard time with baking when I “wing it”. I find that certain recipes work with the Bob’s GF all purpose swap out and some don’t. Honestly Bob’s mix is a way to not break the bank because buying your own flours and combining can be pricey. ALthough iherb does have good prices on GF flours.

So far all the cookies from Vegan Cookies Take Over Your Cookie Jar have worked with Bob’s mix. No xanthan needed. There’s also a gluten-free cupcake in the cupcake book. I did make one of your blondie recipes with that mix and it was a little crumblier probably but good tasting. Gluten-free baked goods do taste a little different. I find I also have to stick to the recipe and not experiment too much with them at least the first round.

There is a whole awesome website dedicated to being xgfx (vegan and gluten-free). Here’s the link: http://xgfx.org/

81 Allison June 8, 2011

I’ve only tried out two recipes – but I recommend Elana Amsterdam’s coconut flour cupcake cookbook that came out this spring. Success! Yummmmy.

82 Hayley @ Oat Couture June 8, 2011

I have to admit those ‘failed’ cookies look pretty good to me! :) If you fancy mailing over any test attempts please feel free! ;) Good luck with the challenge Angela! I’m sure you’l come up with something fab!

83 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 8, 2011

I am starting to dabble in buying gluten free because I find that I feel better eating that way. Especially when it comes to pasta… I swear by brown rice pasta now… mmmm or kamut (for the extra protein!) <– although I don't know if kamut is GF?

Good luck on fine-tuning your skills and congrats on trying something outside of your comfort zone!

84 Katie June 8, 2011

I have been baking lguten free out of necessity for the last 1 1/2 years. I am only now beginning to get the hang of it. But I had to give up on the vegan part and I use eggs.

My advice is to not invest too much time or money! ;) Good luck!!

85 Mac June 8, 2011

I have made one gluten free thing in my life, but like you I am curious and intrigued by the GF lifestyle.

86 Emily June 8, 2011

I use buckwheat and oat flour to make gf pancakes for my sister. It works really well and it’s super inexpensive if you grind your own flour! :)

87 Laura June 8, 2011

I dabble with gluten baking. Isa and Terry’s Vegan Cookies take over your Cookie Jar has its own recipe for gluten-free mix which can be used to replace the flour mix in any of their recipes (and any others, I presume) 1:1. I compared a sample recipe of theirs doing a gluten-free and gluten-ful version and they were both very good (although I preferred the gluten-ful one.)

Also, making a cookie that’s not as dough-y but more oat-y with a bit of flour makes for a good gluten-free cookie, too.

88 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 8, 2011

I think you will have a lot of fun with this challenge.

GF dough etc tends to be wetter than regular batter. The idea is NOT too add any more flour – even if you think you should – as this will make the dough really dry / unpalatable.

89 Jennifer June 8, 2011

haha, welcome to the world of gluten free baking! Although, gf and vegan is just crazy… good luck, and come up with something delicious!

90 Olya June 8, 2011

Good on you for challenging yourself! Be brave as you always are.

91 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 8, 2011

Elana’s Pantry has the best gluten free recipes I’ve ever found!!

P.S. green smoothies w/ crunchy add-ins > green smoothies

92 Jennifer June 8, 2011

I am vegan and I have no choice but to be gluten free. At first it can be intimidating but after enough practice, you’ll figure out the best flour combos. I agree with a lot of the previous comments. Bob’s red mill all purpose mix isn’t the best, but they also make individual kinds of flour, which are great for mixing. My favorite flours that I use are garbanzo bean flour, garbanzo/fava flour, buckwheat flour, coconut flour and nut flours. I also use certain flours for breads and others for cookies, etc. They don’t all work the same as regular all purpose flour does. And in my opinion I hate xanthan gum and only use it if its really necessary. If you do use it, then use it sparingly, otherwise you’ll have rubbery baked goods……….LOL

As for Erin Mckenna’s (Babycakes) recipes they are awesome. I live in LA (we have one here) and had her doughnuts and cupcakes for the first time last week. They were sinfully delicious!!!!! I was looking for a gluten free and vegan wedding cake for my wedding in August. So they are making my wedding cake:)
Good luck with you challenge:) I’m sure you’ll make something fantastic:)

93 Lesley Woodroffe June 8, 2011

I’ve finally got a great gluten free pizza crust and pastry dough figured out at the restaurant where I’m sous chef – will be happy to share recipes! email me!

94 Lynna @wholeytreats June 8, 2011

LOVE this post, Angela. The funny thing is your pictures are so good that those cookies don’t really look so bad! I’m not gluten free but I do love experimenting with new ingredeints and have tried almond flour and coconut flour so far. I made almond flour cookies and thought they were great– more like a “soft baked” cookie in texture than your crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside kind, but really good nonetheless. Coconut flour has worked well for me too but I’m not vegan and recipes with it usually call for a few eggs to act as a binder. Good luck with your recipe testing!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

95 Claire June 8, 2011

Try putting the dough in the refridgerator. This helps for some Reason to make it more cookie like. This is what a gluten free bakery owner told my sister. It helps to make them chewy like a real cookie.

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

interesting, thanks!

97 Colleen June 8, 2011

I’m a gluten free reader and I couldn’t be more excited to see what you come up with :) I’d say avoid bob’s mixes. In my opinion, bob’s mixes = yucky, mostly because they rely on bean or rice flours too heavily. I like to use combinations of GF oat flour, rice flour, buckwheat flour, or coconut flour, plus xanthum gum.

98 Lauren June 9, 2011

I agree with you, Colleen. Bob and his Red Mill do a a great job with many gluten free products, but the flour mix falls short in the taste category. I’m just starting to bake more GF treats and have found the Gluten Free Pantry all purpose flour mix to be quite tasty.

As a gluten free vegan reader, I can’t wait to see the trial and error…and your inevitable success, Angela! Good luck and have fun!

99 vanessa June 8, 2011

Oh man – it would make my life so much easier to have more vegan and gluten-free baked goods to make – I am not %100 vegan, but I’m allergic to eggs, so most of the recipes I use end up being vegan. And my husband HAS CELIAC’s!! DOH!! It basically means there are NO baked goods eaten in our house.

100 Ashley June 8, 2011

Me me me!! But you already knew that. ;) Check out Roost blog for lovely GF baked good recipes. I haven’t tried GF chocolate chip cookies yet. I would imagine it being pretty difficult. I”m obsessed with the little cakes I’ve been making and no xanthan gum necessary. I haven’t tried out that flour mix, but have heard good things. Can’t wait to see your final recipe. I know you’ll figure it out!!!

101 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2011

I saw that Roost blog on your blog last week and OMG it stunning!!!! A new fav, thank for sharing! And yes I will certainly be going to your bloggie for GF recipes! Im sure it will only get better from here…well, I hope, haha ;)

102 Shilpa June 8, 2011

Hi Angie,
We are gluten free family and let me tell u something….xanthum gum is evil. It is the most disgusting thing in the whole world. Using sweet rice flour is good as it has a glutinous quality while being gluten free. We live in the US and I usually buy Maple Grove Farms gluten free pancake mix for cupcakes and cakes. Makes killer pancakes and cupcakes. You can also visit glutenfreegoddess.com. She has some really good recipes as well.

103 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware June 8, 2011

Hello Angela: Thank you for sharing your flops in the kitchen as well because I know I have plenty and it makes me oh so sad. I have a successful gluten-free Pumpkin Muffin recipe if you are interested in giving it a try. My kids love them and they have turned out successful everytime.

Let me know if you are interested.

104 Ellen June 8, 2011

Another GF reader here. There’s definitely a learning curve. If you want to substitute GF flour for wheat flour in a recipe, it is best to do it by WEIGHT because 1 cup of a mixture of tapioca and sweet rice flour will weigh much different from 1 cup of wheat flour, and that’s what matters. Also, the “batter” will look very strange– it will be stick, lumpy, sometimes runny– and that’s OK. Don’t compare the unbaked GF version to the regular batter. My two favorite sites for baking recipes are the Gluten Free Girl and Elana’s Pantry. And for what it’s worth, GF muffins are the easiest thing to make. GF baked goods are super tender, which is what you want for a muffin (this is what makes making good bread difficult). I ad lib muffin recipes all the time and they almost always turn out at least good, sometimes great. Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

105 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 8, 2011

I find vegan baking hard enough as it is – I can’t imagine trying vegan AND gluten free baking. It seems like there are so many limitations! But it’s been done before and I’m sure if anyone can come up with a masterpiece recipe, it’s you. ;)

106 Lurel June 8, 2011

My MIL is gluten free, so I make her some tasty treats for Sundays when we go visit. My favourite flour is Pamela’s Baking and Pancake mix. it’s basically an equal exchange with almost any recipe. Sometimes you also need to add xanthan gum, but it depends on the recipe. One good recipe source that I enjoy is foodgawker. Just click the gluten-free category at the bottom. Or, like I said, just use an existing recipe and exchange with the flour ;)

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

I love foodgawker…tons of vegan recipes too!

108 Emily June 8, 2011

I’m a gluten-free reader! My son was recently diagnosed with celiac disease so we’ve been learning the ropes of GF eating. This new change is in addition to his severe allergy to all nuts, lentils and green peas. I would love your recipe to also be free of these too! Good luck, happy baking!

109 Greta June 8, 2011

I had to stop reading and catch my breath, because the mental image of you whisking and wielding your spatula (with a vegan battle cry a la Braveheart, no doubt) was just too much! I fell over laughing. The only GF flour I’ve attempted to use is besan (chickpea), but as I’ve only made socca, I don’t think that counts. I would love to look into baking GF though. Thank you for trying this out!

110 Natalie June 8, 2011

As someone who can’t eat gluten, I’d say the best bet is to experiment with different flours. When I started to bake GF I used Bob’s all-purpose, but it didn’t give the best flavor result. I also don’t bake with xanthan gum since many GF and Celiac’s can’t stomach it, and if you use the right combination of flours you don’t need it. With oat flour – it has to say GF on the bag of course, oats have wheat contamination otherwise – you have to be careful too, lots of people who are GF also can’t handle any type of oat.

So my advice would be to read up on different flours – the Gluten-Free Goddess blog is an awesome resource for that – and make your own mix. And there are so many flours out there!

One combo that never fails me is to mix a lighter flour, like brown rice, with something denser/higher protein, like sorgum. Sorghum flour is also great for dessert baking, as it’s slighly sweet. Adding a little coconut flour (but not much, it’s very high in fiber and is best used sparingly) can also add great flavor/texture. Plain rice flour can have that weird GF flavor, so mixing it with something different like sorghum or tapioca works well.

Also, even though cookies seem easier, I’ve found that they are actually harder to master than cakes, scones, or bars because GF batter is much crumblier than batter that has those gluten-ey proteins to hold it together. And you can’t really add more flour to thicken it; it will only make the item dry. I might also suggest using less applesauce and try a vegan spread, like Earth Balance if you can get it, instead; the applesauce can make for a rubbery outcome.

Good luck and I look forward to the outcome! :)

111 Lissy June 8, 2011

One of my friends is gluten and lactose intolerant. She’s also allergic to a whole mess of other things, but these are the two that keep her from eating dessert. I have found a couple sweet things she can eat though. Rice pudding and these: http://www.elanaspantry.com/brownies/

Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

112 Meghan June 8, 2011

I’m GF, but I don’t bake much so I guess I’m not too much help…a really great resource is the glutenfreegoddess blog. I think she even has a page of tips for GF baking.

What kind of protein powder do you use?

Meghan

113 Sarah June 8, 2011

I’m a loyal gluten free reader but have to admit that I don’t do much baking, especially from scratch!

114 Melissa June 8, 2011

Hi! I am a gluten-free reader. Its hard to get recipes from vegan blogs because they are either filled with wheat and or soy. :) I still love your blog though! And every once in a while I can tweak a recipe and make it GF or what you have made is gluten free. I have no baking tips. I’m sorry, I buy the mixes your just add ingredient to, shameful I know. :) Love your blog! You seem like such a beautiful person.

115 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

no shame in that Melissa!!
Thanks for your kind words. :)

116 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 8, 2011

GF baking is definitely hard and intimidating! Just a word to the wise (from someone who has done a lot of GF baking) the all purpose lfours don’t alwaaays do a great job. You might need to research and try a few different blends.

117 Kristin June 8, 2011

This is AWESOME! I love reading about your baking, but I’ve gone gluten-free for awhile again and veganesque (I eat meat again after 13 years of vegetarianism but still no eggs or dairy). Every time I try to bake something it comes out a little different and the only thing I really have messed with are peanut butter chocolate chip cookies since they don’t rely on eggs and don’t require any type of flour mixture. Plus, even if my cookies don’t turn out right (soft, chewy etc), they at least always taste pretty good. Good luck I can’t wait to read about what you will make.

118 Paige @Running Around Normal June 8, 2011

It’s kind of refreshing that you post about your baking flubs, too, Angela! I’m sure you’ll get it:)

My friend (and blogger!) Kim is making her wedding cake gluten free!!

119 Laura June 8, 2011

Coconut flour absorbs lots of moisture and chia seeds act as a binding agent. I love the gluten-free baking at http://www.thespunkycoconut.com

120 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) June 8, 2011

I’ve made gluten-free (though not vegan) cupcakes! I use a combination of brown rice flour, tapioca flour, and potato starch, works wonderfully! Also–I heard it’s best to keep xanthum gum in the fridge :)

121 Amy June 8, 2011

Hi Angela,
I love your blog and have been following for months! Your photos and writing are simply inspirational. I have dabbled in both vegan and gluten free baking, and a combination of the two. Here is one recipe that I made that turned out okay http://onechicchickpea.blogspot.com/2011/04/from-basil-patch.html. It might work better with Earth Balance buttery but unfortunately that isn’t available here in Australia.
Good luck with the challenge :)
Amy

122 Therese June 8, 2011

I’ve been gluten free since the beginning of the year and I’ve been experimenting a lot on my blog. I also try to avoid xantham gum. I find that a mixture of half blanched almond flour (Bob’s Red Mill works fine for me) and half GF flour mix (I love King Arthur’s Flour mix) is an easy place to start replacing the wheat flour in any given recipe. I’m particularly proud of my grain-free chocolate chip cookies, although they’re not vegan (http://thereseandross.blogspot.com/2011/05/best-grain-free-chocolate-chip-cookies.html). Even my skepitcal husband inhales them with me!

123 Deanna June 8, 2011

All of my baking is gluten-free and most of it is vegan. It’s a lot of fun, once you get the hang of it. Feel free to peruse my recipes – lots of cookie recipes – to see if they spark any ideas for you.

I avoid GF all purpose flours and stick with coconut and almond flour most of the time, with a bit of millet, sorghum, and amaranth. Although for muffins, I’d probably go with a mixture of 1/3 each sorghum, sweet rice flour, and arrowroot starch (by weight) – not the mostly densely nutritious combo, but generally an easy to use combo for muffins & cakes.

124 Cal June 8, 2011

I’m a gluten free reader and gluten free baking even scares me! I am a chef, not a baker!

125 Toeknuckles June 8, 2011

I’m gluten free! I also like the idea of eating more vegan foods, but being gluten free AND vegan scares me…what do I eat if I go out?
Luckily gluten free baking does get easier with time (I know which flours to use for which purposes now!), but I’ve made my fair share of slimy battered puff cookies too!

126 Jen June 8, 2011

The San Francisco Chronicle just did a profile on a local vegan, gluten-free baker with some helpful tips that you might find interesting: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/06/05/FD6Q1JJR9P.DTL.

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2011

Thanks!

128 Joy June 8, 2011

I’m currently doing a 21 day vegan, gluten-free, sugar-free, caffeine-less cleanse. It’s day 8. I am DYING for a chocolate chip cookie recipe. I eagerly look forward to your success in this recipe challenge!

I should note that going into this challenge, I wasn’t vegan – or even vegetarian! It’s been an adjustment for sure, but I’m really pleasantly surprised by how good the food has been. Your website has been a huge help! Thanks so much for doing what you do! :)

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2011

Wow kudos to you Joy!

130 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa June 8, 2011

Wow, I’ve thought about going gluten free just to see if it has any effect on my body, but after reading through most of these comments, it seems like a lot of work! Will be interesting to see what you come up with!

131 Pure2raw twins June 8, 2011

welcome to gluten free baking ;) we have been through too many to count chocolate chip cookie recipes. We feel like scientist in the kitchen all the time, sometimes it is fun and others very frustrating. The thing we have realized with gluten free vegan baking is using different things for taste and texture. If you need any help, we are here to help :)

132 Anna June 8, 2011

My niece has to watch her gluten intake so my sister in law makes bread for her. She finds that every time she makes bread it is a new adventure. Sometimes it works and sometimes there are massive holes in the bread. It is a constant experiment so have fun!

133 Gina June 8, 2011

Don’t be scared, Angela! Your amazing! I made a GF version of your Rustic Banana Oat cake and it was SUPERB :)

134 Tara June 8, 2011

Kudos to you for trying! I’ve recently decided to get some blood testing done to see if I have celiac. Even if the results come back negative (as is common, I hear) I’m going to attempt a gluten-free diet to see if it clears up my problems. I’m a little nervous yet excited to attempt my own gluten-free baking. I would love to see more from you! I always enjoy your recipes.

135 Stephenie Zamora June 8, 2011

Well… they look slightly delicious. ;) I’m sure you’ll get the hang of it! I’m excited to read the success post! And that Green Monster looks DELICIOUS. Thanks for sharing that bad boy! xo

136 Ricki June 8, 2011

Based on the number of comments before mine, I am sure you’ve probably already heard any advice I can give you. But my first advice is: DON”T use the AP-GF flour from Bob’s! As much as I love all their other stuff, I hated the all purpose mix. Didn’t work for me, either. Find a blog you like and use THEIR all-purpose mix (of course I love the one on my own blog, but I’ve found others that are good, too, on other GF blogs). First, I’d make a few recipes that were designed gluten free, THEN begin to play with your own. GF baking is very temperamental! I reworked the choc chip cookies from Sweet Freedom as a GF version (recipe on my blog) and they worked very well. Not identical to the original, but good. Time and practise!! :)

137 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 8, 2011

I had a very similar experience with my first gluten free cookies! Every flour is SO different (almond flour and coconut flour are my favorite). A bit of advice: stick to a flour and work it until you’ve figured out the math behind it. Making things gluten free and vegan is SO great once you master it! It feels so good!
You can replace xanthum gum with ground flax seed or chia seed (great for people that are sensitive to the gums). I can’t wait to see what you come up with. I make loads of vegan + gluten free recipes, so if you have any questions while you go through a recipe, I’d be more than willing to help!

138 Kat @ Cupcake Kat June 8, 2011

I live for gluten free and vegan treats! I love making them. Too bad this didn’t work for you but I’m sure the next one will

139 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life June 8, 2011

Is it sad that I would probably still eat those cookies? I’ve never attempted anything gluten free and I am super impressed that you are even trying! It intimidates me, quite frankly. Also, I have a GM every day! So delicious, so easy and so refreshing.

140 Sky June 8, 2011

Hi Angela,

I have been following your blog for the past few months but this is my first time posting a comment. I’ll start by saying that I love your site. I have tried several of your recipes and they were great!

Although I am not gluten intolerant, I do try to stay away from wheat in baking for variety and to give my body access to other nutrients. There are tons of great GF sites out there. I tend to like the ones that focus on healthy GF baking with natural sweeteners and moderate amounts of fats. I highly recommend The Spunky Coconut as mentioned by another poster. Diet, Dessert, and Dogs is also great. As for GF flours and gums, check out this awesome and very informative post by Gluten Free Girl: http://glutenfreegirl.com/gluten-free-whole-grain-muffins/

Keep up the great work. I’m sure you’ll come up with a fabulous recipe!

141 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2011

Thanks Sky!

142 jane June 9, 2011

I needed to make some vegan gluten free muffins for a friend who had been diagnosed with coeliac disease
In the Uk I found some good sites including http://www.allrecipes.co.uk they had fab apple and cinnammon muffins which have been such a hit they are now made regularly
Good Luck with the challenge ! :)

143 Jaimie E. June 9, 2011

Hey! Just thought I’d share; I love following your blog, and will be trying your “green monster” recipes this summer! My brother shared a super simple recipe with me that I love to make after my gym sessions. All you need in frozen blueberries, unsweetened almond milk, cocoa powder, and agave!
I just dump blueberries in the blender — enough to fill about a third of it, fill about 2/3 of the blender with almond milk, add a tablespoon of cocoa powder, and agave (or some substitute) to taste.
It’s SO refreshing, and one blender lasts me about three or four workouts! (It’s also a nice boost in the mornings — filling and I feel really good!)

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2011

Yum!

145 Samantha June 9, 2011

Hi Angela!
I recently discovered that I have a gluten intolerance. Celiac runs in my family so I guess it’s not surprising that I have a hard time digesting the good stuff (ie. bread with gluten.) While gluten free products have come a long way in taste, nothing compares to good ol’ regular bread! I mean really, there’s something wrong with going to Panera and not being able to order bread ;) I look forward to any Gluten Free recipes you may post in the future!

146 Annie D. June 9, 2011

HAHAHA MOST of my cookies come out like that (GF or not… I have a hard time with vegan cookies.)

147 Thessa Fiacha June 9, 2011

Try to bake something with almond or coconut flower, that’s how I do this in the Netherlands :-)
The almond flower can be used to bake great muffins!

Succes!

148 Tiffany June 9, 2011

Good luck Angela! You can do this! I am also a cookie lover and nothing makes me more upset than when a cookie recipe flops and turns out puffy. I hate puffy cookies!

149 Melissa June 9, 2011

GF reader here and yes, I have made many batches of FAILS. I like to look at the flour mixtures at glutenfreegirl.com because she and the chef know what they are doing!
Good luck and I cant wait to see what yumminess you come up with!

150 Heather June 9, 2011

I’m so excited that your tackling gluten-free baking! I would recommend avoiding any packaged GF all-purpose flour mixtures because they typically contain bean flours, which have a really metallic taste (and ruin tasting the batter!). joyoushealth.ca has some really good ideas for gluten free baking: that’s how I got started!

151 Whitney June 9, 2011

I am a gluten free vegan baker. It is a challenge, but if you start with a gluten free baking book and then replace the butter and eggs as such then you will have success…I make a really good oatmeal, cranberry, raisin, and walnut cookie. Super Yum!

152 Ali June 9, 2011

I’m vegan and gluten free and have had great success with a lot of your recipes. I automatically reach for gluten free flour and xanthum. The recipes may not come out as pretty as yours but they’re edible! Also, I use gluten free oats for the morning glow oatmeal which has made a huge difference in life! I know you’ll do great on this challenge. You haven’t let us down yet!!

153 Sarah June 9, 2011

Darn, my last blog was all about gluten-free, vegan baking! Oh well. What I will say is that you don’t really need the guar gums and xanthum gums. It’s one of those odd habits/assumptions that it’s necessary in gluten-free baking. And, i think others have mentioned, it’s best to make your own flour blend although I always use a shop-bought blend. Gluten-free Girl (.com) has loads of tips on gluten-free baking and vegan tips. What else… when following a normal vegan baking recipe the only thing I alter is the amount of flour- I tend to use slightly less (perhaps about 1/4 cup less). Also, it may be best to work with metric measurements rather than cups (if you don’t already).

Hope this helps! xxx

154 Molly @ RDexposed June 9, 2011

Oof! Gluten free! This was a college assignment for 2 weeks. I managed to break up with my long-term boyfriend (who I’m happily with again) and get a walking pneumonia during the assignment. I was strong (as I could be) and stuck with it though!!

155 nuttmegs17 June 9, 2011

RUN away from Bob’s GF Flour…yuck. It’s the most prevalent out there, but also one of the worst.
I think Pamela’s is very good and tasty (Great pancakes!), but I think King Arthur’s GF Flour is GREAT. I made Chocolate Chip cookies with it and my friend’s didn’t realize they were GF – it’s come closest to tasting like “normal” baked goods.
i agree to check out elana’s pantry (just bought the honeywell almound flour she recommends) for recipes and also gluten free girl and the chef. She actually advises adding the gum to her recipes and I have yet to have to purchase that pricey ingredient.

156 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 9, 2011

I’m not gluten free but I do like to try some recipes, when I have the time.
I have to say that I really like your photos lately, the edge looks so pretty :)

157 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 9, 2011

I’m not gluten free but I do like to try some recipes, when I have the time.

158 Jensine Crandall June 9, 2011

Hahahaha, I have a green monster every day and you are so right about checking your teeth!Flossing is not optional!

159 Marci June 9, 2011

The Jews call it Passover! It’s not a fun holiday for baked goods. Lots of chocolate and “flourless” cakes. Good luck, but nice to see that even you don’t always get it right on the first try. :) I’m sure you know but Gluten Free Girl is mostly baked things. She works on the proportions over and over.

160 Angelique June 9, 2011

I’m gluten-free vegan and agree that GFV baking it is a whole new learning curve! I try to stick to the recipes as much as possible and even then they don’t come out perfect 100% of the time. Would love it if you develop a cupcake recipe — I’m always looking for cupcake recipes that I can eat along with my family.

161 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 9, 2011

wow I can’t wait for the updates Angela! eeekkkk. haha mushy and pushy? I think I’d still eat it though!

162 Tieghan June 9, 2011

I seriously can not wait to see what you come up with! I know it will be so good! I was wandering though, what protein do you use? I am experimenting with different plant based ones and was wandering what you like?

163 Tracy June 9, 2011

I, too, avoid the pre-mixed GF flours – the bean flour has a funky texture that I don’t like. I mix my own with rice, sorghum, tapioca & a little xantham gum. Different products, different flours. (Though it seems a real mix of people that use, or don’t use the x-gum) :)

164 Beth June 9, 2011

Another great resource is Averie’s Love Veggies and Yoga http://www.loveveggiesandyoga.com

I went gluten free about 6 years ago. The learning curve for baking is a bit steep and daunting. Most packaged stuff tastes like cardboard. I don’t keep Guar gum or Xanthum gum in the pantry. But do stock almond meal (from Bulk Barn), rice flour, and coconut flour on hand at all times. Cookies = almond and / or rice flour
Cakes / cupcakes / muffins = almond or coconut flour
And then there are a variety of frozen desserts you can make, similar to your amazing Double Chocolate Torte (no bake version).

165 Amanda June 9, 2011

I bake gluten-free, vegan cookies on a weekly basis for the guys that I work with and none of them have ever been able to tell the difference between those and the regular ones that I used to make. I would even go as far as to say that they are a little better than the regular ones? Especially if you like a soft, chewy cookie that stays that way. All I do is use a regular cookie recipe and swap out the ingredients, gluten-free flour +1/4 tsp xantham gum per cup of GF flour, 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp water per egg, and vegan “butter” (like Earth Balance) instead of regular butter. Of course this doesn’t make them any healthier, but hopefully it will help! Good luck, can’t wait to see how they turn out!

166 Erica June 9, 2011

Angela,

I have had some success using quinoa flour. Everyone LOVED the brownies I made with it for Passover. The recipe (on my blog) has eggs, but I am sure you could make them vegan.

167 Maria June 9, 2011

I’m technically allergic to wheat, so I sometimes try to make things with alternate flours. I’ve found that for things with less flour, subbing rice flour or another alternate flour works, but with high-flour things like bread and cookies it’s better to look for an actual recipe from King Arthur Flour. I’ve never baked vegan cookies before. Check out my blog, Beautiful Busy Bee. Thanks!

168 Tiffany June 9, 2011

One of my favorite components of a rich, yummy, GF cookie is definitely coconut flour. It is so fantastic. A friend of mine is GF and she actually made coconut flour bread, which was amazing also. I learned about coconut flour from this blog: http://www.cheeseslave.com/

If you go into the recipes section, I am sure you’ll be able to find a lot of inspiration. :)

Happy baking!

169 Leigha Krick June 9, 2011

I have tried many of your recipes gluten free! For example, the banana bomb muffins! I really like to use Pamela’s Baking Mix as my flour substitute, but I supposed that might count as cheating! Also, oat flour is wonderful for cookies.

170 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 9, 2011

Wow that is cool!

171 Carla (write-foot-forward.com) June 9, 2011

My husband has celiac, so I’ve been experimenting a lot. I’ve had some success with the Gems of Gluten Free Baking cookbook and my mother-in-law came across a good bread recipe for the bread maker. In recipes that don’t need to rise, we’ve found that substituting brown rice flour works pretty well.
Have fun experimenting!

172 Angela June 9, 2011

Hi Angela, I’m allergic to dairy and my husband to gluten so all of my cooking and baking is gluten and dairy free (not necessarily vegan, though). I personally don’t like bob’s gf baking mix because of the bean flours they use. I can taste them and they don’t really sit well. I keep a mixture of 6 parts rice/2 parts potato/1 part tapioca flour on hand to substitute whenever flour is called for. It works great in cookies. To make it vegan, the ground flax and water trick works too. Good muffin recipes are found in the Babycakes cookbook. Bob’s baking mix would work well in muffins as long as you add enough other flavors (cinnamon, candied ginger?) to cover the beany taste. Good luck!

173 Kate June 9, 2011

This makes me so excited! I just started a vegan, gluten-free cleanse this week (which is also sugar-free, caffeine-free, and alcohol-free). In an effort to chronicle my journey, I’ve been writing a blog and have told all my readers about you — how I have been following you religiously and using many of your recipes! Although the cleanse is only supposed to last two weeks, I love the way I’m feeling, and can see myself continuing to eat like this for a while. I would die for a gluten-free vegan feature, especially with something sweet!

174 Lindsay June 9, 2011

I’ve had good success using almond flour and gluten-free oat flour. I’m gluten free, but have only been since January :) Yay, this is so exciting! I’ve been reading your blog for almost two years and I have LOVED every recipe from you that I’ve ever made… I can’t wait to see what you come up with!!!!

175 Amber K June 9, 2011

I’m gluten-free! It’s rare that I can find recipes that are both vegetarian and gluten-free. Also, xanthan gum wrecks havoc on my stomach as well, so any baked good I eat can’t have it! So basically, I can’t buy anything pre-made because every single gluten-free baked good includes it. So frustrating!!!!

176 ellen June 9, 2011

I bake gluten free vegan for my niece from time to time (she has allergies) and often look to your site for a recipe to start with. Her favorite thing is muffins so I’ll share my recipe – and I’m sure you can make it better! I try to keep it healthy and nutritious for the picky 2 year old.

dry:
1.25 C almond flour
1 C oats
1 teaspon baking soda
3/4 t baking powder

beat:
1 vegan egg (I use flax meal and water)
1/2 C soy or almond milk
dash of vanilla
1/2 C applesauce
1/4 C brown sugar
1 mashed banana

then I toss in coconut and vegan choc chips and a dash of cinnamon.

Bake 375 for 16-18 minutes.
My husband says they take like almond joy muffins. yum.

Can’t wait to see what you create – I’m definately going to copy it!

177 Amy June 9, 2011

Yummm!!!! So trying these soon!!!

178 Mel June 9, 2011

Ok so the minute you master gluten free baking you share with us, okay. Only we do bakesales at work and I always bring vegan ones nbut I promised next time to make gluten free and to be honest I really have no idea

179 Kelly J. R. June 9, 2011

I’ve recently been playing around with gluten-free baking. One thing’s for sure – GF flour and starches don’t act the same as regular ingredients. There’s definitely more accuracy needed in GF baking. A few weeks ago I made GF cookies that came out as flat as paper.

LOL. Good luck with your baking!

180 Megan June 9, 2011

So excited to see some gluten free recipes coming! I found a recipe once for a chocolate cake that is basically cooked garbanzo beans, eggs, melted chocolate chips and a few other things. you could probably make it vegan with some flax substitutes if you experiment (maybe? i really dont know ha). it turned out pretty well and no xanthan needed.

Your cookies are no where near as bad as my first gluten free disaster. I live in China and found some “glutenous rice flour” (which is actually gluten free supposedly). Just outright substituted it for regular flour in a cookie bar recipe. It was like lava and never hardened up. Tasty but def not something you could eat without a bowl and a spoon…

181 Amanda @ 36broadway June 9, 2011

Is it just me or do those cookies look really yummy?!?!

182 Tarah June 9, 2011

I’ve only ever baked with gluten free & vegan ingredients. Most times I simply use a mixture of chickpea and rice flour in place of whole wheat flour in pizza dough, muffins, cookies, cakes…etc.

They may not be up to par with professional baking status, but I’ve never had a problem. I find that if I use whole wheat flour I have the same problem you’re seeming to have with gluten free flour!

The trick is not to destroy the cookies in your mind before you start baking them ;) Have confidence!

183 Lacy June 9, 2011

I eat a gluten-free diet AND love your blog. I started eating gluten-free about three months ago due to horrible digestive issues and lots of painful, and not so beautiful, eczema. I feel great and I have far fewer stomach aches and eczema free. Thanks for testing out some GF baking; it is definitely an intimidating and sometimes costly venture!

184 Ruthie June 9, 2011

My younger brother and my dad both have celiac disease, so gluten-free has become the norm in our house. I’ve never done anything vegan, but if you’re willing to try different flours there are some better ones out there.
We’ve found that the best flour is Gluten Free Mama’s almond blend (Pamela’s is good as well). Honestly, the flour makes all the difference. I made my brother some chocolate chip cookies and accidentally used some Domata Flour (another GF brand) instead, and I couldn’t figure out why they tasted like cardboard. GF Mama’s flour is the way to go, whatever you’re baking!
Good luck :)

185 Tegan June 9, 2011

Hey Angela!
I’m so glad to hear you’re trying gluten free! I’ve just been diagnosed with celiac and the last few of my gluten free baking attempts have been flops and I’ve been really bummed about it, so I totally understand what you’re going through! Thanks for trying and also asking for help, all the tips out here are really great! Though with all your upbeat attitude and cooking expertise, I know that you’ll figure it out with flying colours!

186 Corinne June 9, 2011

I thought it was just me!!
Not that I hope for anyone to have bad experiences in the kitchen, but I thought I was doomed to never make a vegan, gluten-free (and nut-free) baked taste good and look appetizing. My poor bf has been the guinea pig for many a failure!
I find a lot of the recipes I’ve seen use almond flour which I cannot have. I also avoid the GF mixes because I’ve found that they either have corn or sugar. Sorghum flour works well, as does brown rice flour, but things never come out quite the same as with gluten.
Angela, happy experimenting, I know it is so tough, but I know you’ll figure it out, with beautiful results!

187 Angel7 June 9, 2011

Poor cookies :( Maybe a hungry animal would eat them :) Oh, wait… Can animals eat chocolate, or is that just dogs that cannot have chocolate?

I have never made anything gluten-free, but would like to. Gluten-free is so much better for you.

Good luck!

188 Amy June 9, 2011

I used to bake gluten-free all the time, and muffins were the easiest to get right. I am a big fan of oat flour which always made moist delicious muffins, and also using banana as a binder rather than xantham gum. Good Luck!

189 Stephanie @Lungesandlunch June 9, 2011

I’ve been baking gluten-free for several months now but a bad batch still creeps in every once in awhile! You’ll get the hang of it! Don’t give up :)

190 Danielle N @ Beauty Lite June 9, 2011

I was gluten free for two years because it upset my stomach. After I went vegan, I tried eating whole grains again and it didn’t bother me! I think once I got all the other “crap” out of my diet, my body was cleansed and was able to digest gluten again. I still eat a lot of gluten free items and am interested in gfree baking, so I’d love to see more of those items on your blog. Also, I’m all for awareness and I know you have a ton of readers, so I feel like it couldn’t hurt :) Thanks, Angela!

191 Amy June 9, 2011

I’m newly gluten free (2 months now) after 2 days i finally figured out my stomach issues that plagued me for years and years. Finally a stomach that feels normal! I didn’t even know what it felt like for my stomach not to hurt, be bloated and very gassy:( I have started into the gluten free baking as i am all about eating clean whole foods…i have made some really yummy ones that even my finace likes…he didnt always like my healthy whole wheat baking in the past. Check out my blog for my yummy gfree recipes: http://bufftothebone.blogspot.com/ I am really excited that you will be expirmenting more in to gfree baking/cooking. I love your vegan recipes:) I made some VOO the other night for bfast yummmmyyyy…i used flax instead of chia ( i have yet to try chia and didnt have any on hand) turned out yummy and delicious…i still eat dairy just try to limit it. I find if i have too much i can have some stomach issues…its hard though as i love cheese and i LOVE my yoghurt, fresh berries and gfree cereal as a snack.

192 Kim @ Vertige de la Cuisine June 9, 2011

I’m so excited to see what you come up with! I’m sure it will be great. I’ve been baking gluten-free for about a year now. I agree some of the other commenters that mixing your own flour blend they way to go. I like using nut and coconut flours in my mixes along with something a little lighter like rice flour. Oat flour could also be really good in cookies, and you can process it yourself:)

193 Jane June 9, 2011

Someone may have already mentioned this but the Gluten Free Pantry all purpose flour mix is fantastic as a starting point, and it has the gum already in it. I don’t like the aftertaste of Tyne bobs one. Good luck! Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

194 Lauren June 10, 2011

I am GF and was GFDF for awhile too. I use eggs in baking, so I guess that makes things a little easier. Since I’m not crazy about the variety of GF flours/ratios needed for baking, I usually default to not baking, or going the grain-free route (black bean brownies, black bean cupcakes). I’m excited to see what you come up with!

195 Veronica June 10, 2011

Oh, this made me laugh so hard! Your descriptions of the failed cookies were just too funny! When making gluten-free recipes, I prefer to make things that use non-funky flours as a base. Like peanut butter cookies that are simply peanut butter and egg (or whatever substitute you want to use) mixed with sugar. No flour required. I know oats can be a problem if they are processed in a facility with wheat flour, but if you get the safe kind, you can grind them up to make oat flour for cookies. I don’t like Bob’s red mill gf flour b/c it tastes too beany to me (I think it uses garbanzo beans!). And nuts ground up with dates is my favorite gf treat, and so simple. Perhaps you could try baking those and see what happens!

196 Lorin June 10, 2011

I would eat that cookie..the chocolate chips look delish!

197 Hillsabee June 10, 2011

Have you ever used agave nectar instead of sugar>? It is a great substitute and is easier to digest than sugar.

198 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Yes I have tried it. :) I find it works in some recipes that call for liquid sweetener, but overall I prefer to use pure maple syrup. when dry sweeteners are called for, I like to use raw cane sugar and Sucanat.

199 Gillian June 11, 2011

I was also going to recommend Elana’s Pantry — she uses almond flour for most things (I just grind up blanched almonds instead of buying expensive almond flour.) Another alternative is coconut flour — I love baking with it – check out Comfy Belly — her Lemon Poppyseed cupcakes are fantastic! For all of these, it helps to have a vitamix or a blendtec.

If you are going to go with a more ‘normal’ recipe, try using Namaste’s perfect flour — which is non-gluten.

My favorite right now is the coconut flour!

200 Krissy @ Make It Naked June 14, 2011

Gluten-free is new to me too so I’ve been experimenting a lot with different flours. Like a lot of the commenters, I’ve had most success with almond flour. I just posted GF brownies that are the best brownies I’ve ever had. Would love to see you veganize them! The recipe is from a great site called healthygreenkitchen.com. Good Luck!

201 Jamie June 15, 2011

One of my readers requested recipes for gluten free baked goods so I am going to be experimenting with this as well! Will definitely be following your progress also!

202 Cynthia Adams - The Pie Lady April 12, 2012

Hi, I haven’t read through all of the responses you have, but, I couldn’t help putting in a message! I’m a baker..hence the Pie Lady title. I have used the Bob’s Red Mill flours and I have to tell you that granted they have a good reputation, they obviously have never really made a true bakery pastry or crust. Their flours are too beannnny for baking anything but breads. I work with an all organic company and have managed to play with lots of flours. I devised the most mouth-watering tart crust (even I amazed me). I guess it wouldn’t count if I gave it to you though. Anyhow…..tips: 1.) you should use separate flours and make your own mix, no more than 25% of each type. 2) i prefer the guar gum over the xanathan. 3) try coconut oil for the moisture,,,yum and oh so moist! also, use applesauce, apple butter or similar stuff.
MUFFINS? Try finely ground corn flour! (the organic one I have is awesome) and YOUR imagination which is spectacular! I got my flour mix recipes from several places on-line and kind of combined them to suit my baking needs. The simplest one I use is from
simplygluten-free.com. Good Luck!

203 Cynthia Adams - The Pie Lady April 12, 2012

If you are not stuck to the muffin challenge…I can steer ya toward a delish tart shell!
I forgot to mention that at my pie stand in our farmer’s market, the GLUTEN FREE/SUGAR FREE/VEGAN pies, tarts and desserts are flying off the table! I found my niche’

204 Saira April 22, 2012

Babycakes NYC (an amazing vegan/GF bakery in the LES in Manhattan)…she has a cookbook too. She mainly uses Bob’s mixes, coconut oil, applesauce and a few other key ingredients. I find it a tad too sweet and cut out the sugar….

205 Kayla April 26, 2012

I’m gluten-free and dairy free, so I’m considering just going ahead and cutting out the meat as well after watching Forks and Knives. It’s difficult to find gluten-free vegan recipes…

206 Welda Johnson May 12, 2012

I eat gluten free and vegan, and have quite a time of it, getting enough food, because asthma and gout now prevent me from eating potatoes, tomatoes or eggplant (nightshade vegetables cause excruciating pain for gout, which is a form of rheumatoid arthritis). However, I remain cheerful, slim, optimistic, and always ready to experiment with one more recipe! I usually take my own food wherever I go, but since I’m used to it, everyone else pretty much expects it now too. This week I’ve been experimenting with varieties of carrot cakes and frostings (replace cream cheese frosting with vanilla soy yogurt, tofu and sweeteners blended together–there is a prepared cream cheese substitute but I didn’t care for it). To the cake I’ve tried adding carrots, zucchini, dates, pineapple, dried prunes that I wanted to get rid of, a sweet potato–that worked great–an orange, gf granola, cinnamon, nutmeg, stevia or honey or agave or Walden Farms zero carbs, zero calorie, zero protein pancake syrup, almonds and corn flour (I don’t like the prepared rice flour combination). The three cakes I’ve made so far have tasted great. Make sure you grease the pan well and don’t overcook or it dries out. Good luck!

207 Pixie May 16, 2012

I know this post is almost a year old, but I found it searching for a vegan gluten-free cake…and I laughed and laughed while I read it! Oh, you sound like you cook like me – a “real” scientist! Tried and true methods from other people – ha! lol Forge on – make a new recipe, er, flop – and finally figure out a marvelous NEW way of making gluten-free things. Love it. How did your challenge come out?

I’m new to the gluten/wheat-free scene. I’ve been vegan for over 16 years, so I’ve stopped quaking in my apron over that one (although I certainly did when allergies threw me into that arena.) Now, to add something else difficult into the mix, I’m back to quaking again. Only 1/2 of my crew (including me) needs to stay away from wheat – and possibly gluten, although that hasn’t been ruled out completely yet. Therefore, at times I am making 2 versions of a meal when I know the gluten-free choice leaves much to be desired.

208 Brooke Fredericksen July 4, 2012

Hi all, I am the mom of a 10-year-old daughter with celiac disease and I have been baking GF for almost 10 years now (can’t deprive a kid of cookies or cake!). I have also been baking dairy free because my ex husband was lactose intolerant. So…egg replacer is vital. So is some kind of fruit to help with moisture in baked goods. And Vegenaise helps too. I use a lot of Betty Hagman’s gluten free recipes and I twist them to make them dairy fee as well. Let me know and I can send you a few recipes if you want. I just wrote a blog entry for another site about my Best Ever Carrot Cake. Don’t know when it will be published online but it should be coming out soon.

Hang in there, Angela. You make such awesome stuff. You’ll get the hang of gluten free baking too.

209 Sofia January 3, 2013

My “tip” would be to add a bit of pectin, (like a teaspoon or so per batch). It makes for a moister, longer-lasting product which holds together better, at least in my experience.

As for Bob’s Red Mill gf flour mix, it made for the MOST extrordinary spice cake, (Carol Fenster’s recipe in “Wheat-Free Recipes & Menus, easily adapted to vegan.)

210 garden of time April 17, 2014

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about gluten free. Regards

211 c davis February 13, 2015

I know a lady that makes the ultimate Chocolate CHIP cookie in fact it’s called THE COOKIE no one that tries it can believe it no one will ever have to look any further and every other recipe will be tossed she is making a book a it will be out maybe this year I’ll update when it comes out the recipe is priceless but she dosent realize it and it’s glutin free I almost perfected it off hand but cannot give away her ingredients. 3 bucks for one smallish cookie seems to good to be true you’ll spend over 20 dollars going back and back again in one trip you can’t get enough and they are dangerous even for the martinet of health eaters. Ha ha ha I won’t go on but seriously I don’t even look at any other chocolate chip cookies.