Homemade BBQ Sauce

8765 (1 of 5)

Back in March 2010, Eric decided to clean up his diet. We were on vacation in Florida when he realized that most of his favourite foods and drinks (such as Coke, Kellogg’s Raisin Bran, Ketchup, multigrain bread, etc) contained high fructose corn syrup. We found this odd because the labels in Canada do not list this ingredient on the very same products. After reading up on it, we realized that high fructose corn syrup is often called ‘glucose-fructose’ on Canadian labels. We were shocked.

When we got home from our vacation, we discovered that many of the same cereals, sauces, and dressings in our kitchen contained ‘glucose-fructose’ so we did a pantry overhaul. Since that vacation, not one pop has crossed Eric’s lips and he also gave up his go-to products that contain glucose-fructose. This meant switching to Nature’s Path cereal, organic ketchup, Silverhills Bread, and 100% natural fruit juices, to name a few.

One of the glucose-fructose containing condiments is our beloved BBQ sauce! We use BBQ sauce a lot in the summer to give a little kick to whatever we’re grilling. We recently purchased an ‘all-natural’ BBQ sauce from Whole Foods only to find out that it contained corn syrup and a few other questionable ingredients. That’s when I decided to take matters into my own hands and try to make some myself.

Before the BBQ on Saturday, I made my first batch of homemade BBQ sauce adapting a recipe from Veganomicon that I saw on Matt’s blog. Any you know what? It really wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be. The sauce was thrown together in no time. I’ll be making a couple modifications to this recipe next time I make it (I’ll talk about them below), but I think it was a good starting point!

8765 (5 of 5)

8765 (1 of 3)

The sauce was much easier to throw together than I thought it would be! You basically just chop the onion and garlic, sauté, and then stir everything in, simmer for 20-30 minutes, and adjust the sauce to taste.

The sauce smells wonderful when it’s cooking in the saucepan. The flavour is quite nice, however I found the molasses flavour to be more pronounced than I prefer, so next time I will reduce the molasses to 3-4 tbsp. Other than that I loved it. The original recipe also called for 2 tsp liquid smoke, which I didn’t have, so you can always add that in if you prefer!

8765 (2 of 3)

I’m not sure how long it keeps for in the fridge, so I decided to freeze half the batch. Hopefully it freezes ok.

Yesterday, we used some of the leftover sauce and made up some yummy BBQ lentil sandwiches for lunch!

8765 (3 of 3)

8765 (2 of 5)

The sandwiches contained:

• Silverhills sprouted grain bread
  • hummus
  • lentils + bbq sauce, heated up
  • grilled red onion and yellow peppers
  • tomato slices
  • spinach
  • Cucumber
  • S & P

They were glorious. And messy. ;)

8765 (1 of 1)

In other news…it’s June 6th which means…

Happy Birthday to my Sister, Kristi!

I’m looking forward to the 3rd week in July when Kristi, Pete, and my nephews come to stay with us for a week! Kerrie and fam are also staying here for a weekend during Kristi’s stay…it’s going to be a good time! I better start planning some kid-friendly meals. ;) Any ideas?

8765 (1 of 1)-6

Also, Happy Anniversary to my loving in-laws, Ken and Margaret! Red heart

080831_1434

1 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing June 6, 2011

I recently posted on my own BBQ sauce too, and it totally trumps any store-brought type I’ve bought. It’s nice to know all the ingredients — no glucose-fructose mysteries going on, right? :) Plus, it’s a lot easier than I assumed it would be! Yours look delicious, as always Angela.

We are in Nebraska celebrating my in-laws anniversary as well (40 years!) — congratulations to yours too! :)

2 Julie @ Shining From Within June 6, 2011

Now I really really want one of the sammiches! That bread is just the cutest. :)
Shocked Whole Foods sells things with such ingredients. >:O!

3 Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 6, 2011

Wow, you and your sister look so much alike!

This BBQ sauce looks great, I’ve never made my own but love the idea of making it with just a few basic ingredients.

4 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) June 6, 2011

ah amazing!!!! i have veganomicon!! i needa ake this!!

5 Amy June 6, 2011

Eric is a totally a mini-me of his Mom eh?

6 jenna June 6, 2011

this sauce looks thick and full of flavor! Even better than bottled since it doesn’t have all the nasty’s in there!

i’m always so impressed with how you and eric have such a clean diet! it’s really inspiring!

7 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 6, 2011

Yum! My dad makes homemade bbq sauce, but I don’t think it’s as healthy as your version. Those sandwiches look awesome!!

8 Kier June 6, 2011

Wow – I have an intense craving for a sandwich now! That looks really delicious.

Happy Birthday to your sister and happy anniversary to your in-laws!

9 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 6, 2011

love that cookbook :) and those sandwiches looks amazing! now i’m craving lentils…

10 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 6, 2011

Wow, I had no idea labels could change like that depending on the country. Kinda manipulative! That sandwich looks amazing. Now you’ve got me thinking how I can incorporate some BBQ sauce into my lunchtime sandwich :)

11 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 6, 2011

I had NO idea about that!! Ewwww…

I make a yummy BBQ sauce with sundried tomatoes and dates! mmmm

I know this sounds strange, but at the Summer Camp I ran last summer, I served the kids spiralized raw zucchini noodles with sauce, and they LOVED it!! They kept asking for it, so we had a “noodle” day every week!! :)

Have a great Monday!

12 Nikita June 6, 2011

I’m surprised that HFCS is labeled so sneakily in Canada!
I bet a good “kid friendly” meal would be one of your vegan macaroni and cheese dishes. It kinda depends how picky the kid is- when I lived with my little sisters I had a little sister would eat stir fried tofu and veggies and a little sister who would only eat white rice (no brown).

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

Great idea! Thanks :)

14 Mel June 6, 2011

How funny today I was in the Health Food store and I saw gummy sweets..I almost did backflips when it said gelatine free I havent had gummy sweets in a looong time. Then it said all natural ingredients..I threw a street party..Until I read the ingredients..first one was corn syrup. I refuse to eat that ever since I saw Food Inc. So dissapointed, yes I was.

But also yesterday I was craving a proper BBQ sauce and today lentils.. ..thats it Im off to the kitchen.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

I think I must have checked out those same gummies at Whole Foods the other week. I was so close to buying them but I try my best to avoid corn syrup too.

16 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 6, 2011

I’ve been thinking about making my own BBQ at home – this looks fab!

17 Shanna, Like Banana June 6, 2011

Oh my goodness — how easy. I have a mild, er serious, obsession with BBQ sauce and I’d love to make my own.

18 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 6, 2011

Ahhh so that’s what the brown jar was!! I have a similar BBQ sauce recipe that I make to replace unhealthy store-bought ones, but haven’t made it yet this season because I need to get some more molasses and I forget about it every time I’m out! Great call on the Silverhills bread… it’s pretty much the only type I buy now! Which one is your favourite? I’m not celiac or anything, but the gluten-free Chia bread is absolutely delicious – even more so than the regular breads of other brands!

19 Sam@I Tell Stories June 6, 2011

Wow~! Eye-opener on the Raisin Bran and multi-grain bread. I definitely thought Raisin Bran was a healthy choice. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on the labels.

Thanks for the info!

20 O.C. June 6, 2011

I love condiments and it is so hard to find ones without all those icky mysetery ingredients in them these days so usually I just end up making my own too! I make a great mango chutney and my own marinade sauces so I’ll have to give this BBQ sauce a try :)
HFC is an especailly nasty add in because it comes from genetically modified corn. Scarry stuff!

21 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 6, 2011

Congrats to your in laws and happy birthday to your sister!

I love BBQ sauce — I’m glad I’ve found a few brands that do not have HFCS or a ton of sugar, or any other questionable ingredients. But maybe I need to try making my own!

22 Amber K June 6, 2011

Birthdays, anniversaries, happy joy all around!

I can’t stand the smell of BBQ sauce whenever my husband eats it. He wants to make his own, but I guess I’ll have to move out for a week! lol

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

hehe that’s funny, when I was making it Eric came into the kitchen and said ‘whoa it smells so good in here!!!’

24 Charlie June 6, 2011

I had no idea glucose-fructose is the same as HFCS!!! Thanks for sharing!
This BBQ sauce looks delicious! I’ll have to make some :). And that sandwich too :P.

25 Chloe (Skinny on South Beach) June 6, 2011

Yumm! Looks delicious – can’t wait to try it at our next BBQ!

26 Ashley June 6, 2011

I recently cut potato chips out of my diet, along with soda (which I rarely have, with the exception of ginger ale once in a blue moon). I realized, only recently, that whenever I get stressed, I would pop open a bag and just start eating mindlessly. I would eat a fairly healthy diet, but eat these in secret, eating till I felt overly full, then feeling even more awful about the situations or stressors. So on Thursday, I went through the house and pulled out all these bags– I have two other roommates who agreed they needed them out– and I threw them all out. I had cravings very strongly for the past two days, but Sunday I had no desire to ever touch them again. I didn’t need them! Turns out, I just wanted the crunch:) It’s a little embarrassing to say I was addicted– but I’ve had so much energy and my mood has been so much better since knowing I am strong enough to overcome something that has a negative affect on me. And this blog is what has helped me change my diet and life for the better! I love all your recipes, and you’ve inspired me to think of healthy, creative ways to live a better life!
And I love this BBQ sauce idea– do you think brown sugar, instead of sugar, would have an effect on the taste at all?

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

thanks Ashley! Congrats on your changes…that is amazing! I think not having the food in the house is probably the best way to break a habit. When it’s in the house it always gets eaten, right? Eric doesn’t bring pop into the house anymore (well he did for my bday party for other people but no one wanted it- ha!!) but he says his cravings for it are 100% gone now. It’s been about 15 months or so.

28 Ashley June 6, 2011

It definitely is much easier knowing the temptation to eat them is gone! And I’ve been trying to replace those cravings with concentrating on other areas– like giving myself ways to think of creative and fun snack ideas, or just sitting down and writing. When I was a kid, my mom got diagnosed with diabetes, so we didn’t have much sugar in the house, because she had such a huge sweet tooth, so we were able to cut back on sugar.
I think it’s crazy how much added sugar is in many foods. Lately, I’ve been cutting way back on the amounts of sugar I put in baked goods, and looking on labels for that high fructose corn syrup. It’s crazy how it’s in things that we don’t even need sweetened really!

29 Moni'sMeals June 6, 2011

Who does not love homemeade BBQ Sauce?
This is great! Perfect for this summer season headed our way. I put that stuff on everything! I even like you easy lentil sandwhich you got going on. :)

Those sneaky lil food labels…”glucose-frutose” UNREAL!

Happy Bday to your Sis. So pretty too! and the in-laws, Congrats!

Have a great day.

30 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen June 6, 2011

LOVE BBQ sauce – and I try to be careful about high fructose corn syrup – it’s just eveeeerywhere though.

31 kate June 6, 2011

I love bbq sauce but its so expensive at whole foods, ill have to try this… especially w lentils that sounds amazing!

32 Heather June 6, 2011

Thanks for posting this recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

BBQ saue is the one on the only things I allow myself to buy with glucose-fructise in it and I have been meaning to make my own for ages!

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 6, 2011

Good for you for making the switch! Hopefully high fructose corn syrup will not be renamed to corn sugar (in the US) I don’t believe Canada is there yet, and hope it never ever will be!
I love adding apple butter to my bbq sauce. It that secret ingredients that wows people!

34 DG June 7, 2011

Could you please post your recipe for bbq sauce that includes the apple butter?

35 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 7, 2011
36 kristi (sweet cheeks) June 6, 2011

wow that sounds great! i definitely need to make this…I hate how horrible the ingredient lists are for the ones at the grocery store!

happy birthday to your sister!!! We are name twins. :D I don’t see it spelled my way very often!

37 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 6, 2011

I’ve been wanting a homemade BBQ recipe for ages! Perfect timing b/c I’m getting back on track with eating more veggies (I’ve been lacking lately) so this sauce will ensure my veggie consumption :-) Those sandwiches look delectable; like a healthier version of a sloppy joe! YUM
Congrats to Eric avoiding HFCS for so long!

38 Heather (heathers dish) June 6, 2011

Homemade BBQ is the best ever…I live how it makes the whole house smell amazing!

39 Samantha June 6, 2011

Yay! I have been looking for a recipe just like this for the summer! Thank you so much for sharing! Just wanted to let you know that I have been a huge fan and have made quite a few of your recipes over the last few months and have been posting some on my blog (with due credit and links extending to you of course)! Thanks so much for all your hard work!

40 Andrea June 6, 2011

Hi Angela!
While this recipe looks delicious (as your recipes always do!) I’m a little concerned about the focus in this post on overly “clean eating”. I know that high fructose corn syrup/glucose-fructose is not the most nutritionally sound thing to be having a lot of, but is it really something that should be demonized as something we should “never” have? If a favorite food has glucose-fructose, should it be feared, or eaten sparingly and with moderation? Personally, focusing too much on “clean eating” strikes me as dangerous and restrictive. I’m not saying that this is the case for you or that there is anything wrong with your eating philosophy- I know you have a wide variety of foods in your diet and aren’t afraid of indulging in baked goods etc., but more of a general statement on our societal need to “perfect” our diet that can proliferate into dangerous restrictions and habits. I love good, natural, “healthy” food as much (or more than) the next person, but if something I like or love has glucose-fructose on the ingredient list, I won’t avoid it like the plague- life is too short. Anyway, I really didn’t mean to rain on the positivity parade of the post/comments but I just had to point out that in my opinion there IS such a thing as “too” clean, when it comes to eating. Thanks.

41 Amanda (Eating Up) June 6, 2011

I have been frustrated with the bbq sauces out there too, but it is a sweeter sauce so I just kind of accepted that fructose will be an ingredient! Maybe I’ll try this someday, although it’s hard to get my family to give up their all time favorite bbq sauce, Sweet Baby Ray’s!

42 Roz June 6, 2011

Wow…what a resemblence between you and your sister! And lovely shot of your in-laws!
Thanks for the bbq sauce recipe!

43 Keelie June 6, 2011

Wow. That is one sexy sandwich. I CANNOT WAIT to try the BBQ sauce recipe!!!

44 JenATX June 6, 2011

breakfast for the kids should be easy. Cut up pb&j sandwiches into fun shapes with a fruit salad! Kids also like foods they can dip so maybe some little zucchini pancakes with fun sauces?

45 Catherine June 6, 2011

Sounds yummy! You could also switch up the types of mustard, oil and vinegar for variation.

Since you are feeling adventurous, I have a challenge for you o lover of hummus you. Hummus salad dressing… How to transform yummy hummus to a salad dressing? The typical consistantcy is too thick on a salad for my liking.

46 Sierra June 6, 2011

Those sandwiches kind of remind me of sloppy joes….I bet the kids would like them! :)

This link is for falafel pitas and she suggests serving them “deconstructed” for kids. Sounds fun to me! :)

47 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 6, 2011

ahhhh this is a really cool recipe! thanks for sharing Angela! I love bone suckin’ bbq sauce but I’d like to give homemade a try. After all, that’s always yummier. :D

happy birfffday Kristi! And happy happy anniversary Ken & Margaret! BTW, that’s a beautiful dress Margaret has on.

48 Brittany @ B Out There June 6, 2011

My family absolutely demolishes SilverHills Bread. My mother refuses to purchase any other.
We, in fact, visit 3 grocery stores on grocery day, because often one grocery store is out of HER bread. I’m just amazed that we get it at all in the Yukon!

49 Abby June 6, 2011

Oh my goodness! Those lentil sandwiches look phenomenal! :)

As for kid friendly dishes-maybe you could do something like a build your own pizza station?

50 Jillted June 6, 2011

I’ve tried this recipe and it is delicious! I would recommend making it with the liquid smoke next time – I think that would help with the overly pronounced molasses flavor and adds a depth of flavor that other ingredients can’t replicate. Thanks for sharing!

51 Emily (Comfortable Home Life) June 6, 2011

I have the same problem with BBQ sauce – hate HFC and all the other additives. Suppose I’ll have to whip up some of yours ASAP! Also, why are your pictures always spectacularly gorgeous?

52 courtney June 6, 2011

I made your original chocolate torte last night, and ohmygoodness–LOVE. Thanks for all the delicious recipes, Ange!

53 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 6, 2011

I love pic 8765! It’s so great! The colors are so bright, the inside of that sammie looks like heaven, and I love making my own condiments, too, b/c I can control what goes into them. I cannot stand too much added sodium and many salad dressings and dips think that you need tons and tons to be flavorful which is why I prefer to make my own. And your BBQ sauce looks sooo good!

And as a photography aside, shooting things like lentils, casseroles, sandwiches, or any kind of “mushy food”..I find to be SUCH a challenge. Or brown food. :) You did a FABULOUS job on these pics b/c I know this is very challenging to shoot! Or at least for me it is :)

54 gracefulfitness June 6, 2011

I’ve been meaning to make BBQ sauce for a few months, thanks for the kick in the pants! I made some awesome ketchup and am excited to try my hand at some other tomato-based sauces.

55 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 6, 2011

I totally need to bookmark this! Thank you so much for posting this. We’re planning on doing some slow-roasting for my dad on father’s day, and it would be awesome to make sauce from scratch for him!

56 LauraJayne June 6, 2011

I LOVE homemade BBQ sauce, but I’ve been looking for a good one that isn’t so sugar-intense! I can’t wait to try this!

57 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 6, 2011

MY SAVIORRRR. I have been dying for a “healthy” BBQ sauce because we just got a grill!! Thanks Angeee

58 Chelsea June 6, 2011

Hey you may wanna check out weelicious.com for some awesome kid friendly recipes! I love this for my wee-ones!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

Thank you!

60 katie June 6, 2011

it always surprises me the sugar and added ingredients in seemingly simple condiments, so making your own is a great idea. It looks delicious and reminds me of summer so much. My roommates and I just bought a charcoal grill and are taking on the task of lighting her up tonight for the first time! With no boys to help lol.

61 char @ char on a mission June 6, 2011

I just went and checked the BBQ sauce that we buy and love and it’s actually got a good ingredient list, plus it’s Canadian! I found it at Zehrs:

I do like the sounds of making your own and am very intrigued to try mixing it with lentils. What a great idea!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

Thanks!

63 Gina (Yogattude) June 6, 2011

I love the BBQ recipe. My boyfriend makes his own, but puts a bunch of ketchup in…sorf of defeats the purpose;)

64 jen June 6, 2011

i was a label reading natzi. nothing in MY house contained hfcs. then like you i discovered that here in canada they call it something else. i was so upset because i thought i was being so dilligent!!!! so i had to clean out the cupboards again. i can’t believe even my son’s favourite cereal shreddies had it in it! although homemade bbq sauce sounds super good and yummy (i will try your recipe) i did find a couple of brands that didn’t have hfcs (not sure they are vegan though).

65 Stephenie Zamora June 6, 2011

The sandwiches looks delicious!! And thank you for this recipe… I’ve always loved BBQ sauce but also avoid HFCS. I gave up soda almost 3 years ago as well! Always striving to find healthier alternatives. xo

66 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 6, 2011

The homemade BBQ sauce sounds wonderful. Homemade sauces always have such great flavor!

67 Rachel June 6, 2011

I’m not sure if these brands are available in Canada, but I know that Bull’ s Eye, my childhood favorite BBQ sauce, is corn-syrup free and available in regular grocery stores. They switched the formula a few years ago and it now uses molasses and real sugar. I also recently tried Guy Fieri’s BBQ sauce and it is super tasty as well, though a little more expensive.

68 Jen June 6, 2011

Bulls Eye is available in Canada…good to know it’s corn syrup free! (and I’m not just saying that because my husband has 3 bottles on the go in the fridge, lol)

69 Cassie @ Naturally Cassie June 6, 2011

YUM! Homemade bbq sauce is the way to go, and this recipe looks wonderful!

70 bitt of raw June 6, 2011

I miss a good BBQ. I like Annie’s sauce, but I need to make my own so it can be free of all allergens.

Just letting you know that Isa is pretty sensitive of people posting her adapted recipes, I’ll give Matt a heads-up too. I love you all and I want the vegan universe to get along, but take care when posted published author’s recipes! Some let it slide more than others.

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

Yup, Matt had the recipe approved by Isa.

72 bitt of raw June 6, 2011

Never mind I see he’s got permission. Phew!

73 Emily June 6, 2011

I looove BBQ sauce! I will definitely be trying this recipe!

74 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 6, 2011

The penny pincher in me wants to use up the BBQ collection we have acquired first… buuuut the second its gone i’m ALL OVER this recipe! <3 Happy anniversary to your in-laws! <3

75 Kristy H June 6, 2011

I cant wait to try this. My partner loves bbq sauce and will put it on anything but as we have significantly reduced our packet food consumption its the one thing i cant take away from him lol. I will have to make a batch and surprise him with it (thats if i dont eat it all first) and hopefully he will give up the store bought one. Do you have a recipe for tomato ketchup? Thanks for another great recipe!

76 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 6, 2011

oooh I love homemade BBQ sauce!

77 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 6, 2011

Looks wonderful! I used Balckdtrap in the Pulled Jackfruit BBQ I just made and it added a great depth of flavor. :)

78 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware June 6, 2011

Thank you for this post. My eight year old daughter loves BBQ sauce on everything and I have a hard time finding a healthy one. This is perfect and sounds easy to make.

79 Bridget@LifeLibertyandMe June 6, 2011

I made this after reading it on Matt’s blog. I didn’t use molasses (used brown sugar) and ended up throwing pinto beans in it-it makes delicious baked beans!

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

yum!

81 megan @ the oatmeal diaries June 6, 2011

So perfect for summer! I’m loving that first photo :)

82 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 6, 2011

<3 BBQ sauce! Very excited to make this sometime. It's really a shame how corn syrup is in pretty much eeverrrythinggg.

83 Janet June 6, 2011

Kids are happiest, and eat the most, when they are part of the prep and decision making.
My kids are teens now and still like to have choices. A couple favs for summer ~ taco salads (no meat necessary!) and grilled mini pizzas.

84 Tichina June 6, 2011

Hi Angela,
This looks delish! I love the idea of making your own BBQ sauce. Personally, I find too much sodium leaves me with a bad belly :( so I’ve actually experimented with a few homemade BBQ sauces of my own! I’ll be giving this one next time for sure. Who knows, maybe it will be my new favourite ohsheglows recipe… right now it’s a toss up between mushroom spinach onion tart and flourless double chocolate cookies, there tough one’s to beat :)!

85 Connie the Cookie Monster June 6, 2011

omg glucose-fructose and high fructose corn syrup is the same thing?! good thing i know now! i read michael pollens book last summer and seeing high fructose corn syrup in the ingredient list is always a red flag for me now

86 Ashley June 6, 2011

That sandwich bread is perfectly shaped and the whole sandwich looks to die for. I miss real bread!! Too funny, I just made homemade BBQ sauce for the first time, the other day too! I used a recipe from Clean Start. It was deeelish! Hope you’re having a great Monday!

87 Meredith June 6, 2011

This post has really pushed to look at the labels of the vegan but still not very healthy things I occasionally eat, like Oreos and Special K cereal. I’m definitely going to make a conscious effort to really avoid things with ingredients that sound like science ingredients!

88 Meredith June 6, 2011

And by ingredients, I mean experiments :).

89 Liz @ lactosefreelizzie June 6, 2011

hi angela!
if you’re looking for a delicious bbq sauce that has no high fructose corn syrup or weird ingredients i know a great sauce! it’s called bone suckin’ sauce, and i find it at my local whole foods. it’s SO GOOD–not even exaggerating. here is more about it: http://www.buybonesuckin.com/products/Bone-Suckin%27-Sauce-16-oz.html
and your recipes are amazing! ive made quite a couple already on my blog, but you are always mentioned as the owner of the recipe :)

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

Thanks Liz!

91 Teresa June 6, 2011

OMG, thank you so much for posting this recipe! We’ve been going without BBQ sauce this spring/summer because I REFUSE to buy any kind that has HFCS in it. So Woohoo!! My husband likes anything that I make homemade better than store bought anyways ;).

92 Jessica @ This Blessed Life June 6, 2011

I literally got online tonight to check for clean BBQ sauce – boy am I glad I got side-tracked and read some blogs in my dashboard first! Thank you SO much for posting this!!!!! :)

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

Nice! :)

94 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 6, 2011

My favorite barbecue sauce is Bone Suckin’ Sauce – although making my own homemade doesn’t look hard!

95 Margaret June 6, 2011

Thanks Angela for the best wishes for our Anniversary.
We just got home from dinner and celebrating 41 Years of
Wedded Bliss. Thanks again to you and Eric for your best wishes.
I liked the photo you posted of us. MY 4 FAVORITE GUYS.
Tell Kristie Happy Birthday from us also.
MIL

96 Kris June 8, 2011

Thank you, Margaret! Happy Anniversary to you and Ken! :)

Kristi

97 Mary June 6, 2011

Those lentil sandwiches look delicious! I absolutely love lentils, probably more than other beans. They are so freaking good. And on a sandwich like that I never thought of! I am definitely going to try out the recipe. Thanks :)

98 kaila@ healthy helper blog! June 6, 2011

The sauce looks amazing and the sandwiches look even better! WOW I want to make these NOOOOOW!

99 Hannah June 6, 2011

I’ve always been just avoiding BBQ sauce ever since becoming vegan, but this recipe looks incredibly delicious! I’ll have to try it on some baked tofu!

100 Janel June 6, 2011

Weelicious.com has some amazing kids recipes! You should check it out!

101 Jen June 6, 2011

I actually got into an email argument with someone at Kellogg (Canada) when I contacted them to say how disappointed I was to find glucose-fructose so high on the ingredient list in their All Bran Guardian cereal (which I’m not even sure they make anymore as I haven’t seen it on shelves lately). We literally went back and forth for like a week arguing whether g/f was or wasn’t HFCS…it was pretty ridiculous. I’ve pretty much given up on my quest of avoiding g/f foods…it’s in everything! I try not to buy products where it’s high up on the ingredient list; the products I do buy that contain it aren’t typically things that I consume very often so I’m not too worried about it. Sticking to fruits, veggies, and meals prepared at home from whole foods makes it much easier to avoid all that extra crap!

102 Alaina June 6, 2011

Ooh, I never thought about homemade BBQ sauce! I would probably add the liquid smoke; I love smokey sauces.

Your in-laws are lovely people! Happy Anniversary to them! :-)

103 Kait June 6, 2011

Happy Herbivore has a mustard-based BBQ sauce (who knew there are three different types?!) in her cookbook that is super simple and amazing as well. Plus the mustard base gives it a something different. Just FYI for future BBQ adventures!

BTW – those sandwiches look like they are to die for!

104 Shay June 6, 2011

Looks beautiful and totally doable. Gorgeous pictures!

105 Laura @ Starloz June 6, 2011

oh yummy, this sauce looks perfect. so thick & just delicious!

106 Marit June 7, 2011

WOW…
I’d love to try that.
I’ve been making my own BBQ sauces for years.
In Norway you can’t get Liquid smoke so i have been using a splash of whiskey or Burbon for that smokey tang.
I have also cut the sugar and replaced it with Honey (which is not very Vegan but tastes wonderful…)

Kids will eat pretty much anything as long as it’s on a stick so i suggest you make skewers.
thread sweetcorn slices, mushrooms, peppers and onions on skewers and grill/oven roast. serve with fish and mashed potato and you’ve got a winner.
You could try it with those soy-breaded “chicken” nuggets….
Or do skewers as a dessert if you fill the skewers with fruit…

or spinach Lasagna? All kids like lasagna right?
and how about corn dogs? Just replace the “dog” with whatever tasty veg you have at hand.(or refried beans?)

if they are girls, mini-foods are a winner. my daughter eats those mini-corn that are popular in asian cooking so i’m spending half my time in the supermarket looking for small veggies… But it’s worth it if it makes her eat veg.
I make lots of mini-pies and mini foods these days.
She’s also very keen on baked potatoes at the moment…

I do have a recipe for a fish soup that no child can resist…
But you probably are hunting for vegan stuff…

107 Apron Appeal June 7, 2011

I wonder if the molasses is the thickener and if….oh yeah, honey isn’t vegan. hmmmmmm…..well if it needs to be thicker I wonder if adding flour would help. It looks like I have a fun experiment waiting for me in the kitchen. The kids should get a kick out of this one.

108 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

I think you could also add a small amount of cornstarch or arrowroot powder (dissolve in water first) and it would thicken it up a bit. :)

109 Kelley June 7, 2011

Angela!

THANK YOU for this bbq sauce recipe. I recently found myself in a simiar dilema searching for bbq sans HFCS, etc. Can’t wait to try this. You’re awesome.

Kelley Forbes
Ann Arbor, MI

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

I hope you enjoy it!

111 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 7, 2011

Man that seems intimidating but I’m kind of excited to give it a go!

112 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 7, 2011

I actually never even use BBQ sauce because I haven’t been able to find a good brand with non-sketchy ingredients. Thank you for this recipe!!! Who knew it would be so easy?

113 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 7, 2011

Happy Birthday Kristi!!!!

Whoa!!!! I’ve never heard HFCS being called “glucose-fructose;” I know they are changing the name to “corn sugar” to make it more health-conscious user friendly and all-natural.

I love your recipe for BBQ Sauce!

114 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers June 7, 2011

Thanks for this! It’s just in time for bbq season!

115 Mallory June 7, 2011

I just recently started making my own bbq sauce too. The one my husband and I love is a mango bbq sauce that I found in oxygen magazine.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
two 15 oz cans diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 six oz can tomato paste
1/2 c. maple syrup
1/2 c. unsulfured organic molasses
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper

heat olive oil in a skillet or pot set on medium-high heat.
Add onions, garlic and mango. saute until soft, about 3 minutes
Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. bring to a boil on medium-high heat. reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes, stirring often
remove skillet from heat and allow to cool uncovered for 30 minutes
transfer 2 cups of the cooled sauce to a blender (this should fill your blender no more than half way). puree on high to thoroughly combine and liquefy all ingredients. Tip: keep your hand on the lid while blending. it’s also a good idea to hold a folded paper towel over the lid to prevent spillage. if the sauce is still warm, it may cause the lid to pop off or the suace to squirt out from the top.
Once all the sauce has been pureed, transfer to storage jars and containers. label, date and store in the refrigerator. Nutrients per serving: calories: 20. total fats:0g. cholesterol: 0g. Sodium: 45mg. Total carbs: 5g. dietary fiber: 0.5 g. Sugars: 3g.

116 Em Marie June 7, 2011

I found the Bull’s Eye Brand of BBQ sauce doesn’t contain any high fructose corn syrup and is very yummy!

For kid foods I’d suggest whole wheat (or regular) english muffin pizzas with pasta sauce or salsa sprinkled with cheese. or maybe hummus with fun things to dunk – carrots, crackers, pita chips, etc. Fun shaped pastas.

117 meredith June 7, 2011

the bbq sauce looks yummy. i am for cutting back on HFCS. every once in a while, though, i really do crave a coke! what are your thoughts on cane sugar soda?

118 Alison Golden - The Secret Life of a Warrior Woman June 7, 2011

I am not a fan of BBQ sauce but I do think that HFCS is the culinary version of the devil! We tossed it five years ago after my son continued to have terrible tantrums when he got stuck in the ‘terrible twos’ for years. We’ve not looked back and he is now calm and peaceful. Now that he’s older he can tolerate a little when we go out. But I wouldn’t go back to those days, not for any of my favorite foods.

119 Ally June 7, 2011

I made my own BBQ sauce recently, too! There is nothing like making it yourself and I like how each batch is a little different. I used tarragon infused white wine vinegar is this most recent batch and it was awesome :)

120 Kelly June 8, 2011

oh my gosh, you read my mind!
I was just thinking of playing with the BBQ sauce because my kids love it, but every major brand is so full of preservatives and I hate the “fake” taste.
This is a must try for this grilling this weekend!!

121 Vanessa @ Project Zen June 8, 2011

Corn syrup (or glucose fructose – I’ll keep my eyes peeled for that one when I’m in Canada!) is in nearly every BBQ brand. I’m not surprised because high fructose corn syrup is already in ketchup and most other most commonly used condiments.

I love how you took it into your own creative approach to make your own BBQ sauce. I’m saving this recipe for future use!

122 Crystal June 8, 2011

This looks good, I’m trying it this afternoon for a bbq tonight. How long do you expect it will keep? In the fridge? Or should I freeze some leftovers?

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

I froze leftovers as Im not sure how long it keeps in the fridge. :) I would guess 1-2 weeks in the fridge but im not positive! A wait and see type thing as its my first time making it. I also dont know how it freezes, but hopefully fine!

124 Amykinz (foodie4healing) June 8, 2011

YAY!!! I am SO excited to try this BBQ recipe! I’m gestational diabetic & can’t have a lot of sugar, so traditional BBQ sauces were out.

125 autumn June 9, 2011

What a cute jar! I think this recipe sounds great and I love that it uses ingredients that most folks are likely to have around. Thanks!

126 Rachael June 18, 2011

I’d love to try making BBQ sauce, and your recipe looks perfect (as always)… except that I can’t find molasses in any of my local stores! The joys of living in small-town Switzerland. Any suggestions on what I could substitute it with?

127 helen @ healing through positivity June 22, 2011

Hi there, this looks yummy – can you tell me how long it keeps and how to store it? x

128 Alisha Abercrombie June 30, 2011

I am a newbie to your site, and quite obsessed actually. I think I have made 7 or 8 of your recipes in the last week! I just wanted to say regarding the kid meal thing that my girls LOVE everything I have made from this site. I made the chickpea pizza snack for a meal but served it with homemade sweet potato and carrot fries with a side of asparagus and they liked it but I should have warmed up the chickpeas and will do that next time. Dunno why I didn’t think of that to begin with! It was a lifesaver since their old favorite meal use to be regular pizza and fries. I am sure you will come up with some amazing satisfying meals for the kids!

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 30, 2011

Hey Alisha, thanks for your feedback! I am glad you enjoy the recipes :)

130 Courtney May 10, 2012

I started making this today to serve in slow-cooked pulled pork, and already it tastes amazing! I added some chipolte chilli powder, which is giving my whole house this amazingly smoky smell. Can’t wait to serve it tonight!

131 Kelsie August 15, 2012

I stumbled upon this post when looking for a bbq sauce recipe for EXACTLY the same reason…how strange. My 2.5 year old has a severe corn intolerance, and I thought I had eliminated all sources of corn from our diet, until this summer….when we were on vacation….in Florida….and I noticed that HFCS was in labels where glucose-fructose would be in Canada. How creepy…haha! I’ll give this recipe a go in a few days. Citric acid is also often sourced from corn, and I’m currently waiting to see if we can get away with SilverHills bread without causing a reaction, since the CA is the last ingredient….then I might try canned tomatoes, otherwise, this is gonna be tricky… ;) Hey, question…do you know if the liquid sugar listed in Heinz ketchup in Canada would be a corn sugar? I can’t seem to find an answer to that one….

132 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2012

Im not sure, but I know glucose-fructose is the same as High Fructose Corn Syrup. I’ve seen fructose-glucose on so many packaged goods in canada.

133 Andrea December 18, 2012

Been meaning to make this for a year. Finally did last night and was thrilled! This will be a definite go to for all things BBQ in the future….except maybe the dog treats. Not sure their taste buds are up for it yet. Thanks for sharing :-)

134 Natalie May 20, 2013

I just made the sauce and mixed it with lentils, absolutely delicious! I had to use maple syrup and red onion but it turned out great. The pictures looked so scrumptious I didn’t even notice until after the food is presented on Fiesta! Kudos to the recipe and the greatest dishes in the world :)

135 Halee October 28, 2013

I am in need of some suggestions. I LOVE BBQ and it is one of the things I really miss since going vegan. I made BBQ sauce, but I have no idea what to put it on. Hubby and I are not fans of tofu or tempeh. Any suggestions would be great thanks! -H

136 Silvia June 16, 2016

Could I replace the sugar with maple syrup? (Or if not, coconut sugar or honey?)

137 Angela Liddon June 23, 2016

Hi Silvia, I think maple syrup would work well as a sweetener here. A few other readers have tried it and liked the results, too! If you give it a try, I’d love to hear how it goes. :)