Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No-Bake Version

I’m often asked what my favourite vegan dessert is, the dessert that is a dazzler, crowd pleaser, and would fool even the toughest vegan dessert skeptic.

I don’t know about you, but double chocolate pretty much always wins in my books, so my Chilled Double Chocolate Torte is at the top of the list. It’s also Eric’s favourite dessert.

IMG 4993 3   Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No Bake Version

I made this torte back in December, after visiting The Coup and being unsatisfied with the texture and taste of their tofu-based chocolate torte. If you haven’t figured it out by now, I’m not a big fan of tofu. Instead, I used avocado to create a creamy mousse on top of a wholesome chocolaty spelt crust. And don’t worry, you can’t taste the avocado at all. I’ve served this to many skeptics and no one can believe the ingredient list!

I’ve always secretly called this the PMS torte because Eric likes to mention it whenever I start feeling moody and hormonal. And he’s still alive. Now if I could just get him to make it for me, then I’d be set!

IMG 4983 2   Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No Bake Version

PMS aside, it’s chilled in the freezer so it makes a great warm weather dessert.  The avocado mousse remains firm in the freezer, but not frozen solid, making this a great treat to pop out of the freezer whenever the craving strikes…which is pretty much the entire time it’s calling your name from the freezer.

Earlier this week when I saw Jenna make it, I realized there was just one thing missing: this recipe still requires that you turn on the oven! I pictured that California girl sweating over a piping hot stove and guilt set in. Turning the oven on during hot weather sometimes feels like turning on a space heater at your desk because your office cranks the A/C too much. It just doesn’t make sense. But I’ll save Eric’s office plights for another time. :)

IMG 6966   Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No Bake Version

Given our warm weather this week, I decided to make a nutty no-bake crust to really bring this torte into full Summer mode. No oven required.

And let’s be real, I really don’t want an oven getting in the way of my chocolate fix. It’s time to cut out the middle man.

IMG 6957   Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No Bake Version

Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No-Bake Version

Crust from Healthy Hoggin. Chocolate avocado mousse from my Chilled Double Chocolate Torte.

print this recipe!

No Bake Chocolate Crust:

• 2 cups pecans
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (other light taste oil may work)
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt

Chocolate Avocado Mousse:

• 2 cups avocado flesh (approx 3 small avocados), pitted and scooped out
  • 1/3 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
  • 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter (or other nut or sunflower seed butter)
  • 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup + 2 tbsp chocolate chips, melted
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder, sifted if clumpy

Directions:

1. Crust: Oil a 7-10 inch springform pan and line it with a circle of parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse the pecans until crumbly. Be careful not to over process them as you still want them a bit chunky. Now add in the rest of the crust ingredients and pulse until just mixed. Scoop mixture onto prepared pan and press down firmly and evenly with slightly wet fingers or a spatula. Pop into freezer to set while making the mousse.

2. Chocolate mousse: Place all mousse ingredients (except chocolate chips) into food processor. Process until smooth. In a small bowl, melt your chocolate chips in the microwave and scoop melted chocolate into food processor mixture. Process until smooth.

3. Remove crust from freezer and scoop this mousse on top of crust. Smooth out as much as possible and then place in the freezer for 2 hours to firm.

4. Once firm, remove from freezer and allow to sit on the counter for about 5-10 minutes before serving chilled. Place leftover torte in the freezer wrapped and placed in a seal container.

Note that this torte should be served chilled as it gets soft at room temperature.

Thanks to Healthy Hoggin’s chocolate crust this worked out beautifully. No flops, no trial #2, 3, or 4. Just perfection.

IMG 6961 3   Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No Bake Version

The chocolate pecan crust adds an irresistible nutty and slightly salty flavour which is a perfect contrast to the rich chocolaty mousse. The crust is quite thin when made in a 10-inch pan, so next time I might make this in a 7 or 8 inch cake pan for more height.

It might also be fun to make this in a muffin tin (with muffin liners) for single servings treats! Or in a square pan and cut into bite-sized squares. It probably goes without saying, but when you make individual servings you get to eat one without your guests being the wiser. It’s a bit more difficult to hide the fact that you already enjoyed a slice of the pie before they came over. Or two. Not that I’m speaking from experience or anything…

IMG 6961 2   Chilled Double Chocolate Torte: The No Bake Version

Have yourself a sweet Friday!

Courtney July 1, 2011

Just made this for my grandma’s 82nd birthday. I subbed the avocado for tofu ( decided to make this last minute and couldn’t find ripe avocados), pecans for almonds, and maple syrup for agave. Everyone LOVED it. Thank you for this amazing recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2011

Glad to hear this Courtney!

sweetberry May 9, 2012

This is gluten free and vegan! It would be nice if you had mention it in the title because I have skipped this so many times whenever I go through your recipe list. Your website is awesome. I love it. Keep up the good work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012

Thanks for the tip, I will try to note these things more apparently!

Samantha May 15, 2012

Hi there,
I am going to make this recipe and am wondering if it’s best to make it the day of an event (tomorrow) or make it tonight and put it in the freezer… Also I plan to substitute coconut oil for grapeseed oil, would that work well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012

the coconut oil helps harden things, so im really not sure!

Samantha May 16, 2012

I just made it and the crust was nice and hard before and after the freezer. Thanks for your reply and great recipe. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 16, 2012

thats great!

ianna June 17, 2012

I just made this the other day and ooooooh lordy! It is DELICIOUS!!!! I left out the peanut butter and arrowroot and it set perfectly. I keep it in the freezer, and when I’m craving a piece I slice it up and eat it right away, it’s kind of like an ice cream pie. I love the saltiness of the crust and the creaminess of the topping, it’s my new favourite treat. THANK YOU!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2012

Thanks for letting me know, Im happy to hear that!

Winnie June 17, 2012

We are making this now and the mousse is so amazing. My fiancé is licking the bowl and he HATES avocado! Now we have a large bag of arrowroot powder. Do you have any other recipes including this ingredient?
Thanks for the chocolate torte recipe!

Miss McBooty June 19, 2012

Wow, so many comments…

Question for you: Do you have a recommendation as to what type of chocolate chips to use? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 20, 2012

I tend to buy organic bulk dark chocolate chips….usually they are quite tasty! Camino brand is also good, but fairly expensive.

Miss McBooty June 20, 2012

Perfect, thanks! I plan to make this tomorrow.

Lani June 30, 2012

This sounds delicious! I want to make this for our 4th of July BBQ. Do you think I could substitute Agave for the Maple Syrup in the crust? My Brother & his wife really dislike the flavor of maple.

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2012

I cant see why that sub wouldn’t work! Agave is a bit sweeter per tbsp so you might need a touch less of it?

Beth J July 18, 2012

You really can’t taste the maple at all…there is SO much chocolate that the maple is covered up.

Caitlin July 16, 2012

Ok…. I don’t understand what was different about my torte from everyone else’s, other than I used agave syrup instead of maple since we didn’t have maple, and I also am not a big maple fan, but mine tasted overwhelmingly like avocado. It was really, really bad, and no one would eat it. I had to scrape off the top layer and just eat the bottom layer as really thin brownies. I think I will be sticking to tofu from now on since it has no taste of it’s own.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 16, 2012

Hey Caitlin, I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy it. Was the torte served cold from the freezer and did you include the melted chocolate? I do find the avocado taste comes out more when it’s not served chilled from the freezer. Also, it’s possible that the flavours are different when using another sweetener. I find maple syrup really helps mask other flavours in the dish.

Beth J July 18, 2012

I made this for a friend’s birthday this week…I got rave reviews. Thanks for the great recipe! I am not a vegetarian or vegan, but the birthday girl was and she loved it! Very important note…make sure avocados are plenty ripe! One of mine was still a bit firm and I had to pick out the chunks that didn’t get blended up enough…but hey…you can’t go wrong with chocolate covered anything in my book! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2012

I’m glad you enjoyed it Beth! Great tip about using ripe avocados :)

Grace Booth August 11, 2012

I just made this for my 11 year old brother who has been battling cystic fibrosis and lymphoma. It’s been the first thing that has brought a smile to his face and has made him want to eat again! THANK YOU.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 12, 2012

Aw im so happy to hear he enjoyed it Grace. Wishing him lots of strength & recovery.

Radhika Sarohia August 14, 2012

I made this and it turned out great! Unfortunatelt I dropped it as I was trying to take it out of the freezer so my family and I didn’t get to have very much of it, but I still have a few more avocados so I’m going to make it again.
Thanks so much for the recipe

Radhika Sarohia September 3, 2012

Making this awesome dessert recipe for like the eighth time today, I have restrain myself from licking the mousse batter off the blender blades and cup, it’s obscene hahaha [no self-control whatsoever]
In the freezer now, trying to be patient and wait for it to freeze properly, challenging task to wait till it’s actually ready:D

Chris Gist September 4, 2012

I made two of them this weekend. One to try and the second to take to a gathering of friends. I started with putting the nuts through a Chopper and I did not need a blender to mix the crust, I just used a mixing spoon. On the second I used both almonds in the crust and almond butter in the mouse. I did make the first on in a 6 inch pan and the second in a 8 inch pan to serve more people. I think it is going to be a Wow. I recently went vegan and have enjoyed trolling your site. There are so many things I want to try. Thank you for sharing.
Chris

Kathy September 15, 2012

I made this dessert last night and can’t believe how incredibly rich and delicious it is. I even used some avocados that were at the end of their usefulness and it is still wonderful. Also made the lentil loaf which wowed everyone. Our kids are vegetarian and having trouble giving up dairy – but these recipes show you can have delicious dairy-free desserts, main courses, and well, everything. It also got us out of our “new things to do with tofu” rut. Thanks to Angela for her diligence in making each recipe the very best it can be. Being someone who is very attune to the texture, taste and looks of food, I feel so fortunate to be the beneficiary of Angela’s hard work!!

Cassi September 20, 2012

I just made this tonight and was leery about how the flavor would turn out being healthy :) But Yes! It is delicious!!! I’m really excited to share it with our guests tomorrow. And…better yet it came out looking beautiful as well!

Mia September 30, 2012

Do you think I can use raw cacao powder instead of cocoa powder?
Thank you!!

Anna October 15, 2012

Hi there can you use cacao powder instead of cocoa???

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 16, 2012

I can’t see why not :) you might have to use less or more, so add to taste

Radhika Sarohia October 24, 2012

Making this for like the twentieth time today (hehe) and it’s definitely my favourite vegan dessert recipe so far
For the few people who seem to be able to taste a very slight bit of avocado after freezing, I wanted to mention that adding a tiny bit of dark molasses and a tiny bit of coffee can cover that up marvelously
I’m also always on a diet and I’ve been experimenting leaving out the chocolate chips to cut calories a little bit, and this dessert tastes just fine even without those:D

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2012

Great tips, I’ll have to try the coffee….yum!

lorena November 4, 2012

I would like to know what type of chocolate chips did you use? it was bittersweet, dark chocolate chip or what?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2012

I believe I used dark chocolate chips, but im sure anything would be fine!

Natacha November 8, 2012

Amazing recipe!! I made it for a party, it made quite an impression (even with my non-vegan friends)!!!
The texture is rich and creamy but doesn’t make you feel heavy (or guilty!!) after, like a version with heavy cream would!

Jenn November 20, 2012

This sounds amazing, I’m going to make it for Thanksgiving! I can’t find arrowroot here in Mexico… any alternatives? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2012

Yes cornstarch will work in it’s place. Enjoy!

Jenn November 21, 2012

Dear god this torte is incredible. Thank you thank you!!

Celine November 23, 2012

I made it and… wow! the no-bake was better than ANY non-vegan dessert! I’m gonna try a carob version next. It’s so easy and so delicious! (I’m only 12 yearrs old)

Melissa November 25, 2012

Hi Angela
I absolutely love this torte. I served it at a dinner party and it was very well received! Several of my guests were not vegan (or vegetarian either) and couldn’t believe it was made without dairy or butter. I use your site a lot for inspiration. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2012

Thank you for letting me know Melissa!

Joanna Clarke December 4, 2012

So excited to make this … going to try to make it a festive version with candy cane bit is it or on top … and put in coconut instead of pecans – other suggestions for those allergic to nuts? I also am having a horrendous time trying to find a seed butter that doesn’t say may contain nuts/tree nuts … suggestions/recipes?

Thanks, Angela! Your blog is amazing and a life saver!

Rachel Cross January 12, 2013

Hi Joanna! Just a suggestion, but maybe you could make your own seed butter? If you can secure some certified nut-free seeds, you could grind them in a food processor (or Vitamix if you’re fortunate enough to have one). I just made this, and I think coconut in the crust instead of pecans would be delicious, maybe even thrown in some sunflower seeds or pepitas too for a little texture. Or even a tablespoon of chia seeds which would help it all stick together. Whatever you try I hope it’s successful!

Rachel Cross January 12, 2013

I made this tonight! Lately I’ve been on a raw kick as far as desserts go, and man it’s awesome :) Almost guilt-free!! Of course technically this dessert isn’t completely raw, but close enough for me. Thanks for sharing this recipe, it turned out great and was a big hit at our family’s bonfire get-together. (By the way, I did follow the recipe exactly, no substitutions and it was devine)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that Rachel! Thanks for letting me know :)

Suzanne January 13, 2013

Looks amazing..and LOVE that it’s non-dairy. Can you tell me about the arrowroot powder? Never worked with it, and not sure I can get it around here. Is it essential? Is there something I could substitute? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2013

You can probably sub cornstarch. goodluck!

Melissa January 13, 2013

This was amazing! Everyone loved it at my dinner party- vegans & non vegans alike!

Laura January 25, 2013

Hi Angela,
This is the recipe I was talking about…sorry for the confusion! Can I use seeds in place of the pecans to get the same effect for the crust? We have nut allergies so I have to steer clear.
Thanks,
Laura

Christine January 28, 2013

I’m new to your page and I love it! It’s so full of amazing recipes and it’s just so easy to follow.

I have a question, I was wondering if instead of chocolate chips, you’ve ever tried raw cacao nibs in any of your chocolatey recipes.

Thanks and keep up the awesome work!

Christine

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

You can, but I find them very bitter so I don’t use them often. Sometimes I put them in smoothies though!

Christine January 29, 2013

Thank you for the reply.

Keep up the awesome job!! :o)

Nora February 4, 2013

Hi Angela! We made this for my sister’s bday and it was AMAZING! It tastes like a sour cream fudge cake we get from Georgia (US). My uncle couldn’t believe it was both vegan and raw. This recipe just shows how delicious plant-based foods are, although I know this isn’t exactly a health food, but healthier than all the tortes I’ve come across.

Emily Nolan February 7, 2013

This looks amazing!!!

Vegas Vegan February 9, 2013

My workplace is having a baked goods contest for all employees next week. Last year I took 3rd place. Some professional looking non-vegan cake won. I am bound and determined to win this year!My local store had a close-out on mini pe-baked phyllo shells (vegan!). Bought about 50 of them. I am planning on using the phyllo shells instead of the crust and fill each one with the chocolate mixture, Then make some coconut whipped cream and put that on top.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

Goodluck! I hope you win :)

Isabelle February 10, 2013

I made this today and I added MINT extract in the mousse layer instead of Vanilla. This was the best decision ever, as it made this taste like chocolate-mint mouse cake! This is one of the most delicious & nutritious dessert I have EVER made! So, soooo good :)

kendra May 21, 2013

Thanks so much for this recipe! I made it for a co-workers birthday and she and the office loved it :) I can’t wait to try your other recipies!

Adi May 24, 2013

Oh. My. Goodness. This looks absolutely amazing. AND it is over 89 degrees (!) here in Jerusalem, AND I’ve been using the oven all day because I finally got a day off to do a serious photo-shoot for my blog… I go online, and BAM, this amazing-looking cake of yours looks like just what I need right now! I will definitely try it out soon :)

I don’t think I’ve ever commented on here before but I just had to tell you – I love your blog, your journey is amazing, and you are so so brave!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2013

Thank you Adi, I appreciate it so much! :)

Anne June 14, 2013

This is the funniest vegan chocolate cake I’ve been making so far – and probably the best one too. I couldn’t stop scraping every bit of chocolate-avocado mousse out of the bowl before cleaning it. Well it was already clean by then ;) We have some Mexican friends and of course they put avocado in everything. So I’m very excited to see their faces tonight after telling them the secret ingredient in the cake. Thank you Andrea for this wonderful recipe!

Anne June 14, 2013

Sorry of course I mean Angela! Andrea referred me to your great website ;)

Jane June 17, 2013

This looks absolutely delicious. I would love to make it for my boyfriends birthday but I only have raw cacao powder… would that work over cocoa powder or would it change the taste a lot?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 18, 2013

Hi Jane, I’m sure it would be fine – you might need a bit more sweetener if it’s super strong though? Let me know how it turns out!

Joanna Clarke June 24, 2013

This looks AMAZING. Is there a sub I could use for the crust, since I am allergic to nuts?

Anita July 17, 2013

Tried this and loved it thank you for sharing such great healthy recipe, I changed few things but was so tasty very impressed! :)

Page 4 of 5«12345»