Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

Happy Friday! This short work week really flew by. I’m currently working on a vegan recipe assignment for a magazine that’s due this week and will be published in September. I’m excited to share it with you! I’m testing & writing recipes this afternoon so hopefully no disasters/small kitchen fires/flops occur… ;)

You know what I love when things are busy? Quick lunches that can be thrown together in just minutes. When I returned from a hot yoga class yesterday, I wanted something ready in 10 minutes. It was either that, or I was going to scarf a pint of Coconut Bliss. I came across a delicious looking chickpea salad recipe on Heather’s blog and I knew it would be right up my alley.

This salad did not disappoint!

IMG 6377   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

IMG 6376 2   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

Some changes I made:

• cut down the oil by over half
  • increased the Cilantro
  • added some cumin spice
  • reduced sugar
  • slightly reduced lime

It was enjoyed over a bed of leftover brown rice…a great combo! I also doubled the recipe I posted above because Eric was home for lunch too.

The dressing has quite a bite to it, thanks to the lime and lack of oil, so please feel free to adjust the dressing to your taste buds liking. We thought it was quite refreshing and I love that it packs in spinach greens too.

IMG 6378   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

If you aren’t a Cilantro fan, you could always experiment with other herbs (parsley could be fun!), but I must say the Cilantro-lime combo is a dream to my taste buds. Thanks Heather for a great recipe!

lulemon yogq colours   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

[image source]

The Great Sweat-Wicking Workout Wear Debate

Lately, the workout tanks that I’ve been wearing to Hot Yoga have left me feeling like a wet sponge!

They just aren’t working for me and by the end of class my shirt is a sopping puddle of sweat sticking to my skin (great visual, I know). This prompted me to ask on Twitter what your favourite sweat-wicking workout tops are.

Here are some of the responses that I received:

lululemon090803 560   Cilantro Lime Chickpea Salad & Sweat Wicking Workout Wear

[image source]

I’m definitely going to check some of these out. :)

Do you have any favourite workout clothes that wick sweat and breathe well?

Becki May 27, 2011

I never sweat in the Under Armour Heatgear!! A little pricey sometimes but sooo worth it!

Leanne May 27, 2011

I recently found that Under Armor makes ribbed tank tops that are great! They are made of a stretch non-cotton material that doesn’t stick to my sweaty skin or stretch out. I liked the first one so much I bought two more, and they come in really bright, fun, summery colors!

Sarah-Mae @ Eat, Run, Knit May 27, 2011

I totally recommend the Power Y tank; I’ve been practicing Moksha for six years and it is by far my favorite top! A couple of points from my perspective ;),
- I like racer backs, if the straps are across my shoulders as per normal tank tops I find I “feel” my clothing.
- The Scoop neck Lulu top is a GREAT design, I love it – but it’s thicker than the Power Y, so not the most ideal for Moksha, although I do own two of them and love love love love them (so flattering on the body) for non-heated Hatha practices.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

I agree about the Scoop neck- I have a blue one and I found it was sooo heavy!

thehealthyapron May 27, 2011

mmm that salads looks SO fresh!

Cindy May 27, 2011

I just did a Bikram class this week wearing Lulu’s Deep Breath Tank. It felt and looked great. The light fabric was perfect. I’m a A-cup though, so I don’t have to worry about the girls popping out.

Katie May 27, 2011

you MUST try the circle mesh tops for Lululemon, it’s all I wear to Hot Yoga now. I too am a Moksha fan- but here in Vancouver! Lululemon has some pretty great hot shots/ top combo’s too…wick wick wick away that sweat!

Melissa May 27, 2011

I’ve got a Lululemon tank that’s similar to their current Run:Mind Over Matter Sleeveless Tech and with the elastic on the bottom I find that with a sports bra is great for yoga since it doesn’t stick to my skin and is very breathable.

I also have the Lululemon Commit tank which they don’t seem to make anymore which was also made with their Silverescent material and it’s great.

My one beef with Lululemon is that they change their styles so often, if you find something you like grab it fast.

Angel7 May 27, 2011

I love chickpeas! They are a great way to get some protein in your diet, and are so easy to make with a few herbs.

LauraJayne May 27, 2011

For Hot Yoga, I can’t do a tank at all – I have to do the “bra-like” ones or I just get too sweaty and hot! I like the Lulu bras the best, but my studio also sells a good brand, I just can’t remember the name right now!

JenATX May 27, 2011

i know a lot of people who don’t like cilantro but I personally love it!

jen May 27, 2011

i personally don’t like the power y tanks. even with my non existant chest i feel unsupported and feel like i may fall out when i bend forward.

Moni'sMeals May 27, 2011

This recipe will work for me Doll! Thank, I might change the cilantro to oregano or dill…

I think Lulu takes it. However, I am pretty impressed by GAP stuff too these days. :)

TGIF. Looking forward to your mag recipe down the road. :)

Kate @ I Know Who Grew It May 27, 2011

OMG I can just imagine the lime, cilantro and cumin in a tasty explosion! I’ll have to try this one. Wonder if we have chickpea growing in Ontario?? I always default to Eden beans, they have the plumpest chickpeas. yumyum!

kris (everyday oats) May 27, 2011

My favorite workout wear is the nike pro line. The material is looser fitting so its not hugging your skin and you don’t feel super sweaty, yet its still slim fitting and able to give you a feminine look. Plus the material is quick drying and you won’t feel sweaty for long after.

mi-an May 27, 2011

My fave tank tops to hot yoga: Lululemon’s HOT TANK!!! gotta check it out. it has cinch on both sides the lets you cinch it up. but i also love cool racerback tanks and power y of course!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

hmm dont think ive seen that one…will have to look for it.

Lindsey @ SoundEats May 27, 2011

Hey Ange! I work at lululemon, so glad to see a couple lululemon items on your list. :) The only thing I’d add/ suggest, based on my own practice in bikram yoga (105 degree F heat) would be the Cool Racerback tank and the Push Ur Limits Tank. The Push Ur Limits in particular is my favorite for hot yoga. If you’re comfortable not rocking a tank though, by all means – go with short shorts and a sports bra!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 27, 2011

Your chickpea recipe would be a great falafel pita topper! Getting hungry just thinking about it…

Lululemon definitely seems to be the popular choice. I just don’t know if I can shell out that kind of cash!

Pure2raw Twins May 27, 2011

Love cilantro! Though my fiance is not a fan… still working on him ;)

My favorite workout gear is bamboo athletic wear clothing. It is amazing how great bamboo is on the skin! Luckily for me one of my sisters has an athletic wear clothing line (rawthreads.org) made from bamboo so I get to have fun shopping whenever I visit her. I do like lululemon clothing as well.

rebecca lustig May 27, 2011

LOVE the cilantro and lime combo– this looks great!

Jillian May 27, 2011

The Nike Tempo track shorts are my all time favorite bottom for running. I have a million pairs. I wish I could bring myself to buy more Lulu but the price just kills me…

Kayla @ The Best Things May 27, 2011

I was JUST thinking about how I have a bunch of cilantro and a lime hanging around in my fridge from when I made salsa last week that need a home!! As for hot yoga clothes.. lululemon is by far the best, in my opinion. They have some amazing tanks that have low support which is great for yoga. I hate feeling too constricted! Good luck!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 27, 2011

Cilantro + lime is such an amazing combination! It tastes so fresh!

I have the Lululemon Power Y tank and I love it. It always keeps me feeling dry when running, but I’ve never tested it out at a hot yoga class.

Jill in Chicago May 27, 2011

LADIES! I was just at Gap Body and (well, at least here in the States, hopefully Canada too) most everything in the store is 40 percent off through the weekend. I got a pair of wicking-material shorts for $16! I plan on wearing them to hot yoga tomorrow and can let you know how they do :)

I just wish their colors were a bit better – everything was black, white, gray, grayish purple or BRIGHT ORANGE.

Lisa May 27, 2011

I bet your salad could be blended into a killer hummus!

Cami (FIT to FLOURISH) May 27, 2011

I saw that you are looking for some good sweat wicking workout gear for hot yoga, so I thought I would help you out! I’m a big hot yoga fan myself! I also work for lululemon… here are some tops that I would recommend…

Push Your Limits Tank – It’s so comfortable! It’s made out of luxtreme, which is lululemon’s most wicking fabric and also very breathable. Luxtreme is actually the fabric used in the RUN line b/c it’s so moisture wicking, so it’s also great for hot and sweaty yoga!

Full Eagle Tank – This tank just came out a couple of weeks ago, and it’s also made out of luxtreme. I wore it to class the other night, and loved it!

Tanks made out of luon are also moisture wicking and work great too. The luxtreme fabric will just be more wicking. The Power Y and Scoop Neck that you mentioned too are made out of luon, and I love those too! When you look at the tanks online, the description will tell you what fabric was used to make the tank.

I hope that helps! Here’s to a good a sweat! :)

Hilary May 27, 2011

Whoa…this looks GOOD! Looking forward to trying it with some of the cilantro (and maybe some of the other herbs) in my garden. I have a lulu t-shirt that is absolutely AMAZING at sweat-wicking!

Elle May 27, 2011

This salad looks delicious! And I have all the ingredients, ready and waiting..

For hot yoga, lululemon has a new tank called the ‘Spirit Tank’.. The fabric is incredible, it sucks sweat right up!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 28, 2011

I love the beautiful green dressing covering all the chickpeas! What a fun, simple dish.

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) May 28, 2011

That chickpea salad indeed looks good. I love things that are simple and good for the tastebuds!
I’m having problems too finding good sportswear, so I’m glad with the tips you received and posted ;) Thank you!

PS : Please help me choose from the cooking books listed on The Veggie Eco-Life

Nathalie May 28, 2011

I like to wear Nike or UnderArmour sweat wicking tanks/tops generally, and I have heard the best things about the Lululemon tanks, but they are hard to find over here (UK) and I the shipping cost from US/CAN is pretty steep, so I don’t actually own any of theirs. What I really love, because it is natural fibres, is bamboo clothing. I have some plain tanks/tops and bamboo clothing just feels so nice on the skin, is sweat wicking, naturally antibacterial and I would imagine more environmentally sound than synthetic fibres.

Alyssa May 28, 2011

Wow, this salads has one of my favorite flavors. I agree that the best way to eat cilantro is coupled with lime and cumin. I was wondering if you thought it would still be good without spinach? still having veggie issues with my tummy:(

I got to my first yoga class last week (thanks to all your yoga talk) and I loved it. I really want to try hot yoga, I just need to gain the courage:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2011

Yes I do think it would work without spinach- its mainly a filler and you cant really taste it. :)

Sarah (Whatmattersiswhatsinside) May 28, 2011

I love garbanzo beans!
I will definitely be trying that recipe soon! Today I just made socca using garbanzo bean flour and it was amazing.

LizAshlee May 28, 2011

Please let us know if you try these tanks and they work! I could definitely benefit from sweat-wicking tops! After a good run, I am SO SschWETty!! Part of me is totally ok with this bc it is a sign of a GREAT workout!!! I kind of take it as a compliment!! :)

Happy weekend!
twitter.com/lizashleeblog

Colleen May 28, 2011

I love anything Nike for tennis, just basic, thin, Dri-Fit t-shirt for me :) I may just make that cilantro-lime chickpea salad for Memorial Day! It looks so fresh and delicious.

Molly @ RDexposed May 28, 2011

I just did a mental check list to determine how many ingredients I already have for this recipe!

Baking Serendipity May 28, 2011

Love cilantro in summer recipes :) Your salad looks fantastic! As for work-out gear, I love Under Armor’s heat gear. Living in Phoenix, I seriously need it and have become addicted to working out in it during the hot summer months.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 28, 2011

YUM!!!!! Angela, I LOVE YOUR RECIPES!!!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 28, 2011

I am SO in the mood for some cilantro! Thanks for posting! Also, I thought of you. I tried my first yoga class yesterday. I think I might have to do that more often; it felt great.

Irini May 28, 2011

That salad looks amazing! I’m def making it tonight, but thinking of sub’ing kale for spinach? Hopefully it turns out ok :S
I’m also addicted to hot yoga, and Moksha is my go-to place for it (before agreeing to move for work I actually checked to see if there was a Moksha studio in town…yup, I’m hooked). Adidas clima-cool shirts and UnderArmour tnp tanks are the best for my practice I found.

Jenny May 28, 2011

I’m gonna try some of these out too! Right now I am on the lookout for a sports bra that breathes well…I feel like my cheap little sports bras aren’t supporting me right and are making me break out with holding all the sweat in. Sorry if that’s TMI but I know others have dealt with this issue! :)

Page 2 of 3«123»