How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

IMG 63341   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

IMG 6239   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

We took advantage of the gorgeous weather last night and did some more deck work and gardening.

IMG 6246   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

I like to leave Eric some words of encouragement on the scrap wood. ;)

My plants seem to be adjusting well to the transplant!

IMG 6248   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Some of the plants look like they have already grown an inch! The bell peppers seem to be sprouting up especially fast. I water them in the morning around 7am.

Sometimes there is singing involved.

Sometimes there is story telling involved. The spinach and kale already know their destiny (green monsters and kale chips).

I put 3 foot high chicken wire around both beds to hopefully keep out the bunnies, deer, etc. I can unhook it and open it up when I need to.

IMG 6181   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Hopefully it helps…(but I think if an animal really wanted to get in there, it could!)

IMG 6182   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Tonight, I’m going to buy some larger pots (mine are too small) and a trellis or two and get that all set up.

IMG 6252   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

When I came in last night, I was craving chocolate like mad.

I’m definitely the ‘typical female’ who gets intense chocolate cravings from time to time and nothing else can satisfy me until I have my fix. Normally, I just eat chocolate chips straight out of the bag (and end up eating way too many!), but last night I wanted to come up with a healthier fix for my chocolate cravings.

I instantly thought of my Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes that I enjoyed so much last summer. I figured that I could take this recipe and make it into a chocolaty version!

IMG 1820   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

In just 5 minutes of prep work, I had these intensely chocolaty cookies in the freezer just waiting to be enjoyed!

IMG 6334   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

They are super creamy, chocolaty, slightly sweet, chewy, pillowy (thanks to the banana) and a bit doughy. And the ingredient list and nutritional profile is quite impressive too.

Even when in the freezer overnight, they don’t firm up solid- they remain chewy, which means you can enjoy them anytime for a quick chocolate fix.

IMG 6335   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Frosty No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Adapted from Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes.

Print this recipe!

Yield: 7 small cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp buckwheat groats (optional)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • Sweetener, if preferred

Directions:

1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for about 60 seconds being careful not to burn. Remove from microwave and stir so the rest of the chips melt.

2. Roughly chop the banana and mash it into the melted chips with a fork.

3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients into the chocolate & banana and stir very well until all oats are coated with chocolate.

4. Line a plate with parchment and drop about 7 cookies onto it. Alternatively, you can use muffin liners. Freeze for about 1 hour or until firm. Cookies will firm up, but they won’t become solid and will remain chewy. Leave in the freezer for a quick chocolate fix any time of the day! Makes 7 small cookies at 80 calories each.

IMG 6342   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Nutritional Info (per cookie, makes 7):

• 80 kcals
  • 3 grams fat (1 gram sat)
  • 10 grams carbs
  • 2 grams fibre
  • 5 grams sugar
  • 2 grams protein

Not bad, right? :) The best part is that the cookies don’t taste like a ‘typical healthy cookie’ at all. These really did satisfy my chocolate cravings!

When I made the first batch, I made 4 cookies in muffin liners like I did with my glo cakes…

IMG 6295   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories IMG 6339   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

I prefer them as smaller cookies though because I get to eat more! For the second batch, I simply dropped 7 cookies onto a parchment paper lined plate and popped them in the freezer until firm.

IMG 6337   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Oh, and I may have crumbled one on top of a bowl of Kamut Puffs this morning… Just throwing that out there. ;)

IMG 6334 2   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

michele May 26, 2011

Mehhh, I just made these because they looked so delicious! But mine are bland, and very cold and icy. I had all the ingredients except the chia, so I put in some flax…I’ll end up eating them anyway cause I don’t want to throw them out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2011

I’m sorry to hear that! I think the chia seeds prevent them from becoming too frozen since they are so ‘gel-like’.
Also, various chocolate chip brands will vary a lot in flavour. It’s possible that yours were not as sweet as mine, so you might want to taste the batter and adjust to taste (you can add a bit of sweetener if needed) before popping them in the freezer. Hope this helps!

MD May 26, 2011

This looks SO good! I am finally venturing to try making some of your amazing looking recipes as I work toward being vegan.

Do you use unsweetened cocoa powder or sweetened for this recipe?

I am also really looking forward to making your gazpacho!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2011

unsweetened :) but you can use whatever youd like!

Leslie May 26, 2011

I just made these and am impatiently waiting the 1 hour to try one. The batter tasted delcious so I’m sure the end result will be just as good. Thanks for another great recipe!!

Kira May 26, 2011

Those cookies just looked so fabulous I had to try them myself. I added a little cinnamon and a handful of raisins to the recipe and I have to say those cookies are fabulous. Everyone in the house loves them, they were a bit skeptical when I said they were vegan but once they tasted them people were instantly won over. These are for sure going to be a favorite summer treat around here, thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

Megan@eatmybeets May 27, 2011

WOW these look gooooood! I bet they’d be even better with some peanut butter smeared on top haha

Squash Blossom Babies May 27, 2011

Oh my gosh!!! I need that right now!!! Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to try these!

Katy @fitinheels May 27, 2011

I was just drooling over these and noticed via Twitter that you are also from Toronto! Me, too! Where is your vegan bakery?? Go Canada :)

Katherine: Unemployed May 27, 2011

your recipes are so amazing

amy May 27, 2011

if i use chocolate chips that aren’t non-diary, should they work as well?

also, the “sweetener”, how much did you use and what?

Kathy May 28, 2011

Using non-diary chips work–I just made them with non-dairy chips!
Sweetner: Agave, maple syrup, honey, sugar, brown sugar, etc. Basically, anything that’s sweet :)
I would add a little at a time and tell by taste.

Kathy May 28, 2011

I made these just 30 minutes ago, and now I just ate one. They are delicious! With only 30 minutes in the freezer too…

kristin May 28, 2011

so fantastic! so quick and easy, love em! t

Jessica May 28, 2011

The first thing that went through my head when I saw those cookies was “Game On!” I used to love No-Bake Cookies when I was younger and haven’t made them for years. These look fantastic!! I’m going to the store ASAP and whipping up a batch.

Naomi22 May 28, 2011

I would love to make so many of these recipes but a lot of them have chai seeds which is hard to get hold of in the UK, any suggestions of an alternative?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2011

Sometimes replacing chia seeds for ground flax can work, but other times it doesn’t…it really depends! Best of luck :)

Naomi22 May 30, 2011

Thank you Angela. I love all you recipes I’m going try try out a few! Found the chai seeds a bit expensive but I can get 1kg for £20 ( this includes postage and packaging so guess not too bad).

Cait's a Runnerchick May 29, 2011

I’m new to your website but have to tell you what an inspiring story you have and I’m so happy you are at last happy, in love, and at peace in your life! And there’s plenty more to come! Your recipes already have me drooling and I can’t wait to look at them all. I really stink at cooking so these no bake cookies got my attention right away. :)

I’m also a big fan of running and congrats on all you’ve accomplished on that front. Most importantly though you are actually enjoying it finally! Nothing feels like a big rush of endorphins you get after a great run/workout.

Happy to have found your blog and looking forward to more! Oh, and who doesn’t love little notes of encouragement left on wood? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2011

Thank you for your kind words!

Amy May 30, 2011

I JUST madfe these and they were delicious! I added in some peanut butter and a few chopped cherries too. Mmmmm! :)

Sara May 30, 2011

wow these look amazing! Can the chia seeds be omitted? expensive ingredient is expensive ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2011

think the chia seeds help them hold together and also keep them chewy instead of getting rock hard. Someone commented above who left them out and wasnt happy with the results.

Melanie May 31, 2011

So remember the other day when I said i’d propose to you if i was married to my carnivore (blah!) husband? Well, I changed my mind. Will you marry me??? Pleaseeeeee! I made these yesterday. OhhhhEmmmGeeee!!! these were so yummy!! Only thing is mine didnt stay chewy they froze *hmph* but * light bulb* i let them sit out and get to room temperature. holy fudgeiness batman. i ate 3 in a row o.O i love you! true story.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Hah u r hilarious! Wonder why yours froze? Did you follow the recipe exactly? I’m wondering if some chocolates firm up more than others…

Melanie June 1, 2011

the only thing i left out were the groats cause i didnt have any. it could be the chocolate *hmmm*

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc June 2, 2011

Angela!! These are awesome!! I made it recently, but used dark chocolate instead:) I’ve also added some shredded coconut, and it was wonderful. It was love at first bite for me!! Thanks for the lovely recipe:)

Ps. I did a post about this on my blog too:)

Amy June 4, 2011

I literally started making these before I even finished reading the post. With regular chocolate chips, peanut butter and ground flax (I have no chias). We’ll see what happens!

Ann June 22, 2011

These are delicious! I made (and posted about them) today. Such a wonderful combination of chocolate and banana, and the oats and chia give them a little heft. Of course, since they are 80 calories, I ate two. And clearly I need to take a look at your light box directions, because photographing chocolate is hard!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

Aww thanks, I’m happy u enjoyed them!

Kathy Briggs May 2, 2012

My grandson was just diagnosed with a milk allergy. He is only 6 and Loves Chocolate. I was told a vegan diet was the way to go! I hope so, I can’t believe how many things have dairy in them! I hope he outgrows it, but in the meantime, this will help out a lot!

Amanda Stevens May 31, 2012

Amy ideas for a banana substitute? My daughter has an intolerance.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 2, 2012

hmm im not sure Amanda…that is a tough one! I want to say pureed avocado but you’d have to use a lot more sweetener to mask the taste.

Shea June 2, 2012

I want to make these but I don’t have bananas or chia seeds :( is there anything I can substitute or should I just wait until I can pick some up?
They look absolutely delicious though! I’ve fallen in love with this website (:

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2012

I don’t know of any subs unfortunately. Thanks for your kind words about the blog!

Anna June 7, 2012

Could you substitute the cocoa for carob powder?
Thanks.

Carin June 16, 2012

These are made even more amazing if you put a pinch of sea salt on each one before you put them in the freezer!

Kim Ellis June 21, 2012

what would be a good substitute for the banana? My daughter is allergic to them. (Please do not suggest any type of nut butter – allergic to that too!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 23, 2012

Hi Kim, I’m sorry I don’t know of a substitute.

Anna July 23, 2012

These look great! What could I sub for the banana? I’m trying to avoid high-sugar fruits. Would unsweetened applesauce work? Or is there a way to avoid adding fruit altogther?

Anna July 23, 2012

Whoops! Just saw the comment above mine. Nevermind.

Rita August 16, 2012

Made it for my husband and it turned out really good! I used a raspberry flavoured dark chocholate and it added a really great taste to it.
I’ve just stumbled upon your website and found many healthy recipes that i wanna try for sure :) Congratulations! :)

jackie August 22, 2012

ugh.
i made these, and they are great even without any sugar, and i’ve eaten over half of them.
and i was like, “oh, this is great, her portion sizes are small in the recipe so i don’t have a million cookies that i can eat all at once…”
but i still have too many for one sitting! no self control!!
anyway, thanks for the great recipe, and all of your other ones (like weekend glow kale salad and squash curry red lentil stew which i have been eating every day all week and feeling great). your blog is my favorite!!

Ayanna January 26, 2013

Thanks for an awesome recipe! I used PB2 instead of cocoa powder. Yummy!

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 27, 2013

Okay I gotta try making these…

Kristin Roman March 3, 2013

I love your blog! The recipes definitely fit into my lifestyle and the variety you provide provide endless choices! I love your Frosty No-bake Chocolate Oat cookies! :)

kim May 27, 2013

Wow! Just made these..they are delish!! So easy, and actually pretty healthy :) Thank you so much!!

Just one question, so I just keep them in the freezer? How long do you think they’re good for? Although, they likely go quickly :)

Emily Maureas July 9, 2013

This is the first recipe I’ve made from your site. It was super easy and very delicious. I love it! Can’t wait to try more!

Heather November 22, 2013

If I do want to add sweetener to this recipe, say maple syrup, how much approx should I add?

Tx,
Heather

Juliet February 18, 2014

Hi Angela, just tried these and they are unbelievable! So yummy. Wondering if I could add almond butter to these and if you could suggest how much? Thanks for your delicious recipes!

Gabrila August 21, 2014

Ahhhh, this looks yum! Definitely a great chocolate alternative! Thanks :).

Page 4 of 4«1234