How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

IMG 63341   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

IMG 6239   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

We took advantage of the gorgeous weather last night and did some more deck work and gardening.

IMG 6246   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

I like to leave Eric some words of encouragement on the scrap wood. ;)

My plants seem to be adjusting well to the transplant!

IMG 6248   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Some of the plants look like they have already grown an inch! The bell peppers seem to be sprouting up especially fast. I water them in the morning around 7am.

Sometimes there is singing involved.

Sometimes there is story telling involved. The spinach and kale already know their destiny (green monsters and kale chips).

I put 3 foot high chicken wire around both beds to hopefully keep out the bunnies, deer, etc. I can unhook it and open it up when I need to.

IMG 6181   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Hopefully it helps…(but I think if an animal really wanted to get in there, it could!)

IMG 6182   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Tonight, I’m going to buy some larger pots (mine are too small) and a trellis or two and get that all set up.

IMG 6252   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

When I came in last night, I was craving chocolate like mad.

I’m definitely the ‘typical female’ who gets intense chocolate cravings from time to time and nothing else can satisfy me until I have my fix. Normally, I just eat chocolate chips straight out of the bag (and end up eating way too many!), but last night I wanted to come up with a healthier fix for my chocolate cravings.

I instantly thought of my Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes that I enjoyed so much last summer. I figured that I could take this recipe and make it into a chocolaty version!

IMG 1820   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

In just 5 minutes of prep work, I had these intensely chocolaty cookies in the freezer just waiting to be enjoyed!

IMG 6334   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

They are super creamy, chocolaty, slightly sweet, chewy, pillowy (thanks to the banana) and a bit doughy. And the ingredient list and nutritional profile is quite impressive too.

Even when in the freezer overnight, they don’t firm up solid- they remain chewy, which means you can enjoy them anytime for a quick chocolate fix.

IMG 6335   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Frosty No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Adapted from Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes.

Print this recipe!

Yield: 7 small cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp buckwheat groats (optional)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • Sweetener, if preferred

Directions:

1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for about 60 seconds being careful not to burn. Remove from microwave and stir so the rest of the chips melt.

2. Roughly chop the banana and mash it into the melted chips with a fork.

3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients into the chocolate & banana and stir very well until all oats are coated with chocolate.

4. Line a plate with parchment and drop about 7 cookies onto it. Alternatively, you can use muffin liners. Freeze for about 1 hour or until firm. Cookies will firm up, but they won’t become solid and will remain chewy. Leave in the freezer for a quick chocolate fix any time of the day! Makes 7 small cookies at 80 calories each.

IMG 6342   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Nutritional Info (per cookie, makes 7):

• 80 kcals
  • 3 grams fat (1 gram sat)
  • 10 grams carbs
  • 2 grams fibre
  • 5 grams sugar
  • 2 grams protein

Not bad, right? :) The best part is that the cookies don’t taste like a ‘typical healthy cookie’ at all. These really did satisfy my chocolate cravings!

When I made the first batch, I made 4 cookies in muffin liners like I did with my glo cakes…

IMG 6295   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories IMG 6339   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

I prefer them as smaller cookies though because I get to eat more! For the second batch, I simply dropped 7 cookies onto a parchment paper lined plate and popped them in the freezer until firm.

IMG 6337   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Oh, and I may have crumbled one on top of a bowl of Kamut Puffs this morning… Just throwing that out there. ;)

IMG 6334 2   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Katherine May 25, 2011

I think I just died and went to heaven! These look amazing!

Beth May 25, 2011

I am definitely making your Frosty No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies, and I’m sure they won’t last long ;)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 25, 2011

omg I’m so excited to try these! I love how low-cal they are, and I especially love that they are no-bake! Great for lil ol college me!

Jessica May 25, 2011

Hi Angela–
I’ve read one of your posts stating that you do not use or consume Stevia–just wondering if there was a specific reason why not you could share with me…thanks! :0) Love everything you do, and especially your high-energy optimism!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2011

im not really fond of the taste :)

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey May 25, 2011

Wow, these look sooo good! I want them ASAP! Haha. They’re a lot like no-bakes, which were my favorite cookies growing up. :)

Stefanie May 25, 2011

If only I had chocolate chips. Those cookies look good and perfect to keep in the freezer for crazy chocolate cravings. Your garden looks lovely. Hopefully you didn’t scare the kale by telling it its fate and it not grow.

Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware May 25, 2011

Oh my those look good! I remember making something like this when I was little but as I recall they had “corn syrup” in them…. Bear Claws! These are a great cleaned up version and I think I am going to have to make some today. Love your blog!

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) May 25, 2011

My yard is fenced in so I don’t think any deer will be able to get in my garden this year. I am planning on planting outside this weekend – hoping for nice weather! I am most worried about my own dogs jumping into the garden and eating my plants! They will have to be watched! haha
Love the no bake chocolate cookies and especially love that I have everything on hand at home to make these – should a craving arise! :)

Mercedees @ Cultivating Consciousness May 25, 2011

I have a weakness for no-bake cookies. I shouldn’t even say cookies because usually I dont even make them into cookie form….. I just glob them into a bowl and go to town!!! Thank you for offering me a guilt-free(ish) version!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 25, 2011

These look awesome. I REALLY could have used these yesterday. I had a serious chocolate craving, and definitely consumed more than 80 calories trying to satisfy it. :)

Baking 'n' Books May 25, 2011

Whoa…this is much healthier than picking up a package of Farmer’s Market Chocolate-Chip cookies from Loblaws…which I typically do…oye ;)

The Teenage Taste May 25, 2011

I’ve already made your original no-bake glow cakes a few times and love them. I’m loving this chocolate version a little bit more, though! :-)

Ashley May 25, 2011

Wow!! I absolutely love the look of those cookies!! So thick + shiny. :) Looks like things in the yard are progressing well!!!

ellalinea May 25, 2011

Oh dear, on word: droooooooooooooooooooooooool!!

They look amazing! :)

ellalinea May 25, 2011

Oh dear, one word: droooooooooooooooooooooooool!!

They look amazing! :)

Mac May 25, 2011

On my list of things to try! Can you keep them in the freezer for more than an hour if you’re not going to eat them all in one day or do they get too hard or something?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 25, 2011

These will be so refreshing once the summer heat hits us (IF it ever hits us – it’s been such a cold spring!).

Olya May 25, 2011

Those look delicious! I’ll be making them today.
We’re building a permanent fence around our vegetable beds to prevents chickens coming in and eating all the spinach and lettuce.

megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 25, 2011

Ooh! I feel like you wrote this post just for me =P

Sam May 25, 2011

I just ran out to buy dark chocolate chips and cocoa powder to make this. I can’t wait! I bet they would be even more amazing with some peanut butter thrown in there.

Jeanine May 25, 2011

I made these! I didn’t have any chocolate chips so I made my own chocolate using a tweaked recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie (her PMS chocolate except I make mine with coconut butter instead of oil). I also used a 1/2 cup of puffed kamut and 1/4 cup rolled oats instead for more volume with slightly less calories. If anyone wants to make their version with homemade coconut-based chocolate I also advise adding a bit of water to give the chocolate a melted consistency as mine would not melt in the microwave.

Anyway, I love your blog Angela! I’ve made quite a few of your recipes before and you never disappoint! I’m actually making the enchiladas with avocado cream on Friday night. Very much excited.

Kaleigh May 25, 2011

These are amazing…and so ironic, because i just bought buckwheat groats for the first time! I love dessert snacks that are safe for me to bring into school and these fit the bill (no nuts)! I certainly do not want to be the reason why I have to jab a kid with an epi pen!

Alaina May 25, 2011

I have all of these ingredients! I just got my order of chia seeds and I’m so excited to use them! :-)

Cannot wait to make these! My roommates will love me.

Kelsey H May 25, 2011

it’s like you can read my tummy’s craving or something!

Ali May 25, 2011

Thanks for this – I love the classic no-bake chocolate oatmeal cookies, but my daughter hates peanut butter, so this is a GREAT substitution!

Angela May 25, 2011

These look yummy and so healthy! Bookmarked to try soon… thank you! :)

Catherine May 25, 2011

I am salivating! And I happen to have all those ingredients on hand….

By the way, your no-bake almond chews still hold a dear place in my kitchen, and I shared the recipe recently with a bride-to-be at her shower. I think she’ll love them.

Babs May 25, 2011

Those look delish. If you dont follow Choc Covered Katie . . . you should go check out one of her recent posts on chickpea blondies. Made them and loved them (even my hubby did)

tina @ vanillandspice May 25, 2011

No bake wins me over every time. I love all your recipes but this one’s probably one of my favorites. Chocolate + easy + no bake couldn’t sound better.
Thanks for sharing!

Kathy May 25, 2011

I’m definitely a person who gets intense chocolate or sweet cravings once in a while! And these will totally save me! Thanks Angela ;)
However you come up with these, is out of my mind but thanks for your awesome creativity!

Lee May 25, 2011

I thought these were going to have squash in them from the title!

Char May 25, 2011

What an awesome little chocolatey creation. I think I’d love to add PB to them!!

Bethany May 25, 2011

Totally made these tonight, they were delish! I wonder if you could use all cocoa powder and some agave instead of chocolate chips, I’m going to have to try it!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats May 25, 2011

Wow. Thank you so much for this recipe. I am going to make these right away! Chocolate cravings must be obeyed!

Stephanie May 25, 2011

Angela, you are a god… or should I say goddess. Chewy, no bake, chocolate-y cookies with wholesome ingredients? Damn. And you like kamut puffs? I think we’re like, related.
I totally lol-ed at the kale and spinach destiny thing too. :D

Sukee May 25, 2011

Can these live outside the freezer, or do they get all messy and fall apart? I need something to take on a road trip, and these sound perfect. I hope.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2011

Nope they have to be kept chilled…sorry!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 26, 2011

I needed one of these tonight. Instead, I went with homemade granola + (unsweetened) chocolate almond milk.

emma May 26, 2011

these are the perfect solution to those mad craving days! thanks Angela!

Barry May 26, 2011

Wow! It is hard to believe something that looks this good can be healthy as well. Now, if I can just find the kitchen. I know it’s here somewhere. Excellent job on the garden, Angela! For a real challenge, we try to grow something in Calgary. It can be a humbling experience.

P.S. I can see why your readers look so healthy and, well, I don’t ;-)

Valarie May 26, 2011

I can’t recall how I stumbled onto your website, but the first item I made was the Green Monster. I am still on the basic recipe (almond milk, hemp protein, flaxseed, nut butter, spinach, banana) but I am not tired of it yet. I’ll definitely be experimenting. Next I made the Lightened Up Goddess Bowl and it was delicious…and perfect for my lunches. Tonight I hope to make these cookies.

My mom, dad and stepmom were visiting this weekend and I turned them onto the Green Monsters…they are addictive. Thank you for providing easy, lightened, delicious and healthy options.

Page 3 of 4«1234»