How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

IMG 63341   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

IMG 6239   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

We took advantage of the gorgeous weather last night and did some more deck work and gardening.

IMG 6246   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

I like to leave Eric some words of encouragement on the scrap wood. ;)

My plants seem to be adjusting well to the transplant!

IMG 6248   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Some of the plants look like they have already grown an inch! The bell peppers seem to be sprouting up especially fast. I water them in the morning around 7am.

Sometimes there is singing involved.

Sometimes there is story telling involved. The spinach and kale already know their destiny (green monsters and kale chips).

I put 3 foot high chicken wire around both beds to hopefully keep out the bunnies, deer, etc. I can unhook it and open it up when I need to.

IMG 6181   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Hopefully it helps…(but I think if an animal really wanted to get in there, it could!)

IMG 6182   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Tonight, I’m going to buy some larger pots (mine are too small) and a trellis or two and get that all set up.

IMG 6252   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

When I came in last night, I was craving chocolate like mad.

I’m definitely the ‘typical female’ who gets intense chocolate cravings from time to time and nothing else can satisfy me until I have my fix. Normally, I just eat chocolate chips straight out of the bag (and end up eating way too many!), but last night I wanted to come up with a healthier fix for my chocolate cravings.

I instantly thought of my Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes that I enjoyed so much last summer. I figured that I could take this recipe and make it into a chocolaty version!

IMG 1820   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

In just 5 minutes of prep work, I had these intensely chocolaty cookies in the freezer just waiting to be enjoyed!

IMG 6334   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

They are super creamy, chocolaty, slightly sweet, chewy, pillowy (thanks to the banana) and a bit doughy. And the ingredient list and nutritional profile is quite impressive too.

Even when in the freezer overnight, they don’t firm up solid- they remain chewy, which means you can enjoy them anytime for a quick chocolate fix.

IMG 6335   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Frosty No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

Adapted from Frosty No Bake Glo Cakes.

Print this recipe!

Yield: 7 small cookies.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup non-dairy chocolate chips
  • 1 large banana
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 tbsp buckwheat groats (optional)
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • Sweetener, if preferred

Directions:

1. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for about 60 seconds being careful not to burn. Remove from microwave and stir so the rest of the chips melt.

2. Roughly chop the banana and mash it into the melted chips with a fork.

3. Stir in the rest of the ingredients into the chocolate & banana and stir very well until all oats are coated with chocolate.

4. Line a plate with parchment and drop about 7 cookies onto it. Alternatively, you can use muffin liners. Freeze for about 1 hour or until firm. Cookies will firm up, but they won’t become solid and will remain chewy. Leave in the freezer for a quick chocolate fix any time of the day! Makes 7 small cookies at 80 calories each.

IMG 6342   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Nutritional Info (per cookie, makes 7):

• 80 kcals
  • 3 grams fat (1 gram sat)
  • 10 grams carbs
  • 2 grams fibre
  • 5 grams sugar
  • 2 grams protein

Not bad, right? :) The best part is that the cookies don’t taste like a ‘typical healthy cookie’ at all. These really did satisfy my chocolate cravings!

When I made the first batch, I made 4 cookies in muffin liners like I did with my glo cakes…

IMG 6295   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories IMG 6339   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

I prefer them as smaller cookies though because I get to eat more! For the second batch, I simply dropped 7 cookies onto a parchment paper lined plate and popped them in the freezer until firm.

IMG 6337   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Oh, and I may have crumbled one on top of a bowl of Kamut Puffs this morning… Just throwing that out there. ;)

IMG 6334 2   How To Squash A Chocolate Craving in 80 Calories

Rebecca May 25, 2011

I didn’t even know I was craving chocolate till I saw these :) I must make them. TODAY.
I made your healthy strawberry jam bars the other week and they turned out So SO good. That’s a great springtime recipe! I just loved serving people a delicious healthier treat. It’s definitely going on my dessert (and snack and breakfast!) rotation :) Thanks for creating such yummy recipes I can feel good about eating!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn May 25, 2011

Omg I am in love. These are so darn deliciouslooking!

Emily @ Write Twenty Eleven May 25, 2011

These look like my favorite cookies that my mom used to make when i was a kid!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat May 25, 2011

I put up an 8 ft wire fence around my little garden. It was really just a preventative thing. I know there are lots of bunnies, but wasn’t sure about deer. Sure enough, the other morning 4 little ones traipsed through the yard. Darn cute, but they are eating machines! They did a number on my Japanese maple and then wandered past the garden… Ha! Foiled! They kept going to raid the neighbours garden.

Thanks for the mid week chocolate fix.

Marci May 25, 2011

Yum going on the must try list! I also like your no-bake cookie dough balls for a chocolate treat.

Clare @ Fitting It All IN May 25, 2011

This is so perfect! I’m totally guilty of eating too many chocolate chips out of the bag too, so I love that I now have a quicky healthier alternative for my chocolate cravings

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 25, 2011

Yumm these look fantastic!

LizAshlee May 25, 2011

These remind me of No Bake Cookies minus peanut butter and with a banana…a great idea to keep the calories & fat down!

I think it is best to satisfy the chocolate craving ASAP…There have been times when I try to have another treat in place and that just means I usually eat ALL of that treat and then end up giving in later & making something with chocolate! The other week, case in point…I ended up making some coconut peanut butter & almond butter bites that were amazing & also satisfied my chocolate craving. Note to self, next time make something chocolate-y immediately! I will definitely be copying this recipe to try!

Have a fantastic day!

Carly May 25, 2011

These look great! I recently went gluten free and your flourless chocolate cookies saved me from downing a bag of chocolate chips last night!

Sara May 25, 2011

First time commenting here….

These look delicious! I love a chocolatey treat that won’t kill my day and the fact that I can put them in the freezer and they stay slightly chewy is a huge plus!

Heidi @ Food Doodles May 25, 2011

Yum :) Love your frosty glo cakes so I’ll loooove these. We always have a stock of those cakes in the freezer and we eat them like granola bars :D

Shrinking Diva May 25, 2011

Angela, i love your blog and these cookies look yum yum yummy! Also, your garden is beautiful, i know you’re going to have a great summer with it! Thanks for all the inspiration. I suffer from binge-eating disorder, and your blog has been huge in my recovery. Thank you.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2011

Thank you!

Ashley May 25, 2011

All the ingredients are in my pantry, and these are getting made after I have my morning coffee!

Sarah May 25, 2011

These look great and so easy!

Maggie @asliceofwonderbread May 25, 2011

O my goodneed these looks great. Per usual saving your recipes as my favorite. Also , your gardens look amazing. Great job. Cant wait to see what the summer brings.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 25, 2011

Those looks so good..and will take no time to make. Definitely re loading on my chocolate chips so I can make these!

Sarah May 25, 2011

Yum! I’ve been looking for foods I can make in bulk and then freeze.
Am I reading this right- the only sweeteners are the chocolate chips and the banana? If so, I’m even more excited to make these!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 25, 2011

I too am a typical girl with regular sweet cravings! These look awesome ~ I can’t wait to try them.

Moni'sMeals May 25, 2011

SAY WHAT! Yes maam I am in. These look easy enough and delicious! I have a similiar no bake recipe to these, but a bit more ingredients so I will try yours for sure. I like less is more!

That garden is lookin mighty fine!

Geosomin May 25, 2011

Mmmm. These are a healthy version of the treates my mum used to make when I was little. thanks!
Good idea with the chicken wire. We used to have raised gardens at the lake and the bunnues would come and eat all the best parts of our garden if we didn’t have the wire up. Flowers without the coloured flower part just don’t look so nice :)

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ May 25, 2011

Okay, where were you last night when I needed that recipe!!? I had a major chocolate craving last night at 10pm (ridiculous, really) so I decided to try Gwyneth Paltrow’s recipe from her new cookbook. After licking the spoon and waiting 30 minutes for it to bake my craving had passed but now I’m prepared for the chocolate attack today! (By the way, I wasn’t impressed by the recipe…maybe I’m a brownie snob!) Your yummy recipe sounds great and I love that it’s easy.
Sarah
veggie-kids.blogspot.com

Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola May 25, 2011

Omigosh these look AMAZING! I have been wanting to try your Glo cakes and now I really have to try these delicious looking cookies!!

Shah'ada May 25, 2011

I love how your treat recipes often make just enough and not a million and one cookies. SO trying this today!!!

Jenny$1983 May 25, 2011

Oh wow … I got up and made these as soon as I saw them! I ordered some groats after you used them in VOO, I was so pleased to be able to use them in this recipe! I made six, to fit in my silicone muffin pan, and I’ve just eaten one while reading the comments – they are so, so yummy! The person who said there’s something in the air must be psychic, I’m feeling it too! I’ve been using Averie’s (loveveggiesandyoga.com) Coconut Oil Chocolate to quench it (along with my tweak to it of making mint chocolate by replacing the vanilla extract with peppermint extract), it just melts so perfectly in my mouth that it satisfies me and one tiny piece is enough! This is amazing to me as I’m recovering from disordered eating, and I haven’t eaten intuitively since I was about nine years old: having one tiny piece and genuinely not wanting any more kind of blows my mind :)

Thank you for this recipe, it is pure genius ;) And your garden is great, I aspire to have something like it one day :)

Leah May 25, 2011

Look delish! I always just go for the chocolate…seems to work and satisfy the craving!

Alyssa Lemus May 25, 2011

yummy! thank you for this! I love quick fixes like this it helps me not reach for a mini bite size snickers! :)

Lisa May 25, 2011

No Bake cookies are one of my specialties. I absolutely LOVE them. But they are dangerous to have in the house. I can seriously eat like 10 in one sitting…which is more like 800 calories. :D

Julia Andrus Williams May 25, 2011

Oh man – those look amazing! I’m always looking for ways to quell my cravings with just 80 calories. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny May 25, 2011

I’ve been told that if you sprinkle cayenne pepper on your plants and garden it will keep the animals away. They may try and take a nibble at first but once they taste the cayenne they back off :)

shani May 25, 2011

do you have any recommendations for a banana substitute?

kaila @ healthy helper! May 25, 2011

I made your original frosty no bake bars last year and loved them! So I can’t wait to try these!

Charissa May 25, 2011

We just made similar cookies a couple days ago…I’ve been meaning to make a healthy version of the Chocolate Odies, but you beat me to it! ;) These looks so good!

And your garden looks beautiful. Are you doing the square foot gardening method, or are those just raised beds?

Alison May 25, 2011

mmmm.. these look like a healthier version of unbaked cookies my mom used to make! I think I may have to try this recipe soon! Sad thing is my husband is allergic to oats :( I wonder if there is something else I can substitute?

Nicole May 25, 2011

Just popped mine into the freezer- can’t wait to enjoy one for my preworkout snack!

Julia May 25, 2011

Mmm, looks delicious! But since when are you back to counting?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 25, 2011

Hi Julia, I don’t ‘count’ calories, but I do like to be mindful of the nutritional profile of the treats I consume. Hope that clarifies!

Julia May 25, 2011

It does, thanks:)

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition May 25, 2011

i just made them and started eating the batter. So good!

Amber K May 25, 2011

Yummy! My personal favorite combination ever is peanut butter, chocolate, and banana. And all can be put into these!

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 25, 2011

I really like this! squash it in 80 calories ehhh? sounds good to me~especially when it’s later in the evening haha

Aska@findingmyhappyending May 25, 2011

Yum!! I can’t wait to make these!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 25, 2011

omg, now I want chocolate… and we’re in the car on our way to vacation. Hmm need to get me some chocolate ASAP until I can make these. They look delicious, Angela! Way to go with the gardening, it’s coming together really nicely :)

Page 2 of 4«1234»