A Perfect Day

IMG_6137

If you asked me what a perfect day would look like, yesterday was certainly it.

IMG_6139

My day started off with a 3 mile run followed by some core work, push-ups, and at-home yoga. I didn’t have much time, but I cranked out this well-rounded workout in 40 minutes.

IMG_6023

After showering and breakfast, Eric and I headed to the always fun Aberfoyle Antique market. It was supposed to rain all day, but it held off all morning. I love pleasant surprises with the forecast.

IMG_6018

This antique market is huge and it has some great finds. Tons of gorgeous hand-crafted furniture, that is out of our budget right now!

IMG_6019

IMG_5014_thumb IMG_5010_thumbIMG_5012_thumb

I was on the hunt for photography props and I came home with a bag full. :)

IMG_6180

I got a bag of things for just $20!

IMG_6178

We ran some errands after that- Home Depot & Home Hardware for a couple tools for Eric and Whole Foods for groceries, lunch, and organic gardening seeds.

img-1555-thumb

I had basically every vegan protein salad from Whole Foods that I could cram into my box. It was wonderful!

IMG_6035

Non-tripod, shaky-hand, fuzzy pictures ensued. ;)

IMG_6031

Eric had a tomato & cheese pizza pie. It looked a bit weak to me!

IMG_6024

Mentionable purchases from Whole Foods:

• Dried Mango (yessssss)
  • Live granola (will be making this on the blog soon)
  • Organic kale
  • Frozen pitted sour cherries (they don’t have frozen sweet cherries…why?)
  • Epsom salts
  • purple garlic
  • 360 Woven wheat crackers
  • Full of Fruit Coconut Popsicles
  • Mason D’Orphee organic delicate EVOO

After that we hit up another nursery to finish getting the plants & pots I needed. The kale and such are not ‘certified organic’, but I was told the local grower doesn’t use pesticides.

IMG_6044

On the way home, the sun came out to reveal a beautiful, warm day! What a great long weekend this has turned out to be.

IMG_6129

And then it was time to plant the veggie garden…it was G-day or bust.

I got my trusty garden plan that I drew out after consulting Wiki’s info on Companion Planting. I tried to plant everything near other companion plants so they would have the best chance of surviving my black thumb!!

My plan is all mucked up right now, but I hope to re-draw it and post it on the blog soon.

IMG_6058

Thanks to Karly, I had these wonderful stakes to use!

The first thing I did was set the plants and bags of seeds directly onto the soil so I could visualize where everything was going to be on the two beds.

IMG_6061

I previously looked up the spacing requirements for each plant, so after I did this I got a ruler and roughly measured the spacing for each. It took me so much longer than I anticipated to lay everything out.

IMG_6053

At this point, our lovely neighbours came over and gave us a big barrel of local Mushroom compost! I moved the plants off, added some in, and then tilled the soil to mix it in.

IMG_6070

They also gave us that curly pole that we will use for our tomato plant. Apparently you can buy these at Dollarstore for much cheaper than Home Depot.

We had lots of triple mix leftover which was a great thing because we needed it for the potted plants.

IMG_6124

Initially, we were going to put the 3 tomato plants in the beds, but we ran out of room (thanks to my little kale obsession). We moved the pots to a sunny area by the other side of the house.

IMG_6093

I checked and double checked my plan and tried to squeeze everything in! We had to place a few things closer together than we wanted to, but I’m sure it will work out just fine…or not.

IMG_6073 IMG_6075

Do not be fooled by my smile, I have no idea what I’m doing!!

IMG_6100

• 20 kale plants
  • 10 romaine plants
  • 12 spinach plants
  • 4 sugar snap pea plants
  • a few garlic cloves

IMG_6097

Do you think I will kill everything? I sure hope not!

Last night we had a brief thunderstorm and pouring rain and I sat up in bed and said, ‘MY POOR PLANTS!’

I checked on them first thing this morning, and they survived. ;)

Herbs!

IMG_6109

In pots:

• 2 Beefsteak tomato plants
  • 1 roma tomato plant
  • Curley parsley
  • flat parsley
  • Mint
  • Rosemary
  • Dill
  • Basil (need to get another pot first!)

I’m actually worried that these pots won’t be big enough for the herbs! What do you think?

IMG_6115 IMG_6116IMG_6117 IMG_6118

The gardening took a solid 3 hours with a couple what-have-i-gotten-myself-into moments. ;)

I also planted these Lilies in the front garden that were birthday gifts from Eric.

IMG_6092

IMG_6122

Eric and the guys also finished the entire base of the deck on Saturday.

IMG_6145

IMG_6147

I’m so impressed! There are 3 sets of stairs and all the railings left. Still lots of work yet, but it is coming along wonderfully.

IMG_6149

Around 8pm, we finally came in famished for dinner. I had no idea what to make, so I decided to just throw a bunch of things in a skillet and see where it took me. :) The best kind of meal, I say.

Appetizer was roasted red pepper hummus and Baked Woven thins (just whole wheat and salt as the ingredients).

IMG_6156

The first thing I did was cook a grain because that takes the longest. I cooked up about 3/4 cup of speltberries on the stovetop.

IMG_6163

Based on what I had in my kitchen, I decided to make a Speltberry chickpea veggie stirfry, infused with lemon, Thyme, and Rosemary.

Check out the fun shot we got using the GOLD reflector disc. Eric held the gold disc to reflect the sun and it made for a cool picture in an otherwise dark kitchen.

IMG_6159

I didn’t measure anything, so the recipe below is a rough estimate of what I made.

IMG_6171

In under 30 minutes, I had whipped up a great meal. I wasn’t expecting much from this, but we both loved it. The lemon, Thyme, and rosemary combo was lovely.

IMG_6168

On today’s agenda, we have more yard work to accomplish (I still need to weed the front and back flower beds) and we’re going to put some chicken wire around the garden beds so all our cute little bunnies around here don’t eat all my KALE!! Luckily, it looks like the weather will hold up again today. Tonight, we have a BBQ with a few friends to end the long weekend. It should be a good one.

If you are enjoying the holiday Monday, Happy Victoria Day to you!

1 kalli May 23, 2011

what a perfect day! your yard and deck look gorgeous! i took today off and i am headed to get flowers for our garden after a nice bike ride…..enjoy victoria day and i will celebrate in spirit here in the us :)

2 kate May 23, 2011

What a perfect weekend im so jealous of your gardens, all of my plants are in pots and im so nervous I will kill them all. Your stir fry looks amazing meals I just throw together often end up being my favorites. Enjoy your bbq tonight and hopefully some gorgeous weather!!

3 Julie @ Shining From Within May 23, 2011

that sounds like a lovely day ended with the perfect meal! I love days like that :) Gardening can be a lot of work! I am tired just reading about it haha.

4 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 23, 2011

I can see why this was a perfect day :) Have a great week — and Happy Victoria Day!

5 Kelly May 23, 2011

Your garden/deck look beautiful! I have been wanting to start an herb garden myself for a while but I’m afraid to because I don’t have much space.. This post makes me think I still might be able to! Oh, andthe speltberry chickpea salad also looks amazing.

6 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 23, 2011

We ran out of time this weekend to get planting and such done — hopefully we can get going on things this coming weekend!

Good luck with your plants. I also have a black thumb and hope to turn it green this summer with my garden.

7 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe May 23, 2011

Your vegetable garden is looking great! That deck is really coming along too.

8 Heather (heathers dish) May 23, 2011

Wow that really does look like a perfect day! I love yalls planter beds too…fantastic job!

9 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 23, 2011

Wow, what a productive Sunday! We had about the same too. I love all of the blogging props you bought! I can’t wait to see more of them. I’d never thought to go to an antique store for props, brilliant! Have a great holiday Monday :)

10 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 23, 2011

The garden is coming along so well! I’m happy to hear you had such a great weekend.

11 Jennifer May 23, 2011

Did you end up finding the plants you bought yesterday as organics? Like the kale and stuff.
If so what nursery were you able to find that at? I’m having trouble finding organic veggie plants myself

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

They weren’t ‘certified organic’ but I was told that the local grower does not used pesticides :) From Jade Gardens I think it was called?
We got a bunch of certified organic from taylor nursery and organic seeds from whole foods.

13 Blaine May 23, 2011

Ahh, the garden is so exciting! I love my own little porch-garden, but I’m lusting after a yard with good sun.

A word of advice for the pots: make sure the tomatoes have a LOT of root space, as they are greedy and like lots of room for their feet. I used big pots for mine. I have made the mistake of planting more than one tomato plant in the same container – don’t do that either! They’re very competitive plants and they won’t like that either :) They may grow seemingly okay at first in smaller pots but remember, if you wants lots of healthy tomatoes, they need lots of space!
The herbs looks like they will be fine, they usually fill out wherever they are and they don’t have deep roots.

My favorite resource for planting are the books Grow Great Grub and You Grow Girl, both by Gayla Trail. They’re SO good, and removed a lot of my own fear from planting my own food.

Happy growing! :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

thanks!!

15 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 23, 2011

Whole Foods…gardening…it definitely sounds like a perfect day! My husband and I live in an apartment, so we obviously can’t have a huge garden. We did plan beets, radishes, jalapenos and onions in some planters last weekend.

16 Gen May 23, 2011

sounds like an awesome day!!! can’t wait to see how your garden turns out! :D

17 Shay May 23, 2011

I love the mismatched pots your herbs are in. The diversity creates a strange unity. Your backyard is gorgeous already!

18 The Healthy Hipster May 23, 2011

My speltberries are in the slow cooker as we speak! And I’m headed off to the Junction to go antiquing right now. Hope you have a nice relaxing holiday Monday Angela! (Enough with all this productivity, sheesh ;))

19 Nikita May 23, 2011

Your garden is going to be beautiful! I’m jealous- I live in an apartment with a tiny porch that gets no sun. Last year we tried potted plants but nothing did very well… This year I purchased a CSA instead!

20 Halley (Blunder Construction) May 23, 2011

This does look like a perfect day! The antique market looks like a lot of fun, I’ve never been rummaging before. Glad to see this kind of update from you!

21 Lizzie May 23, 2011

You and I need to go to Whole Foods and create amazing salad combos – anytime I treat myself to their salad bar it’s a mish mash of exactly what you had, sadly the reason being that I can’t get organized enough to have those ingredients on hand to make the salads in the first place!! :)

Also wanted to add that it’s a dreary day where I am, and just working through some crappy crap at the moment and this post made me feel more sunshiney – thanks Angela!

Oh, and mint supposedly takes right over, so maybe you will need a bigger pot? I need to start my tiny apartment herb garden soon!

22 DessertForTwo May 23, 2011

Your garden looks great! It makes me so happy to see people gardening in their back yards! I thought it was going to go extinct for a second :)

23 Daniel May 23, 2011

Your garden looks pretty spectacular so far! We’re planning on starting a garden soon and I was wondering what kind of soil / fertilizer you use. I wanted something animal-friendly and my Mom was wondering whether or not it would be ok to use manure in it. I wasn’t sure so I thought maybe you would know a bit more about soils and that sort of thing.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

We used an orgaic triple mix from Van Beek’s in Oakville

25 Sportsgirl May 24, 2011

The best fertilizer comes from animals: rabbits poop, chicken poop, cow/horse poop. I have a rabbit and put it straight into the soil!
Seaweed fertilizer is also good.

26 Shanna, Like Banana May 23, 2011

I don’t think you will kill a thing! I’d be more concerned about the critters that may come out from your lush forest in the background ;)

27 Sarah May 23, 2011

Looks like a fabulous weekend!…and this post has me craving a trip to the Whole Foods hot bar!

28 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 23, 2011

These pictures are gorgeous! It looks like you had an amazing day! I love going to markets just to look even if I know I wont be buying much. I just started a tiny garden on the edge of one of our beds in our backyard. I’m so excited! I really hope it turns out well.

Any tips for a gardening beginner? :)

29 Aleksandra S May 23, 2011

My darling you did so well on your first planting trip!! I only wish I had a backyard (versus a balcony) so that I could plant my own. I guess this just means I need to be very discerning when choosing my plants haha.

Btw – where did you purchase the Kale plant? I have fallen in love with kale but had no idea I could grow it myself. Again – small space means I need to be picky about what I grow.

I figured I’d do two balcony boxes of flowers, some herbs (mint, oregano and basil methinks), two low boxes of ferns (like a hosta for greenery) and another few large containers with lettuce (they have a 3 lettuce blend at Loblaw’s but now I may need to go Kale!) and some strawberries.

For any gardeners reading this, please let me know if I’m going about this the wrong way. And for you, darling, your garden will be fine! Just be sure to water and fertilize appropriately. :) I can’t wait to see how awesome your garden will look in but a few week’s time!

30 Amy May 23, 2011

Hey there… I saw GINORMOUS bags of dried mango at Costco. Just thought I’d let you know!

31 Char May 23, 2011

What amazing progress you’re making with the garden! I love how much kale you planted…tons of new recipes this summer, I hope? I honestly wished I lived closer to Oakville to have access to Whole Foods. I absolutely love it and need an excuse to be over that way more (grandparents live there…maybe I should visit more frequently lol). I’ve never cooked with spelt berries, but they look mighty enticing. I love the randomness of just throwing together some items that you have – you’re right, they honestly make the best meals!

32 thehealthyapron May 23, 2011

I loved the weekend! The weather was beautiful! I wish I had a garden to plan (even if I also have no idea what I’m doing)! Great finds at the antique stoer!

33 jenna May 23, 2011

wow this garden sure was thought out well!! :) can’t wait to see is flourish!

34 Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 23, 2011

This sure does sound like the perfect day! Your garden looks great. I had herbs in pots, and they all died. I was told that the pots were too small, so you’d better keep an eye on yours! Then again, I don’t have a green thumb, and I manage to kill all plants. Probably even fake plants.

35 Emily May 23, 2011

This looks like such a fabulous day, I love antiques and Whole Foods and great weather! And you look great in your photos, you definitely could pass as a gardening pro!

36 chelsea May 23, 2011

That does sound like a perfect day!! I love when your expecting rain and it doesn’t come! I bett when your garden is in full bloom you’ll be loving it!

37 Katherine May 23, 2011

O my, that salad looks amazing!

I know that this might not be proper, but I am very desperate and I just am needing to reach out to the blogging community. Please read this blog-the second issue addressed-to understand. http://divinelyvegan.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/very-important-post-help-needed/

38 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 23, 2011

what a great day! i absolutely love the old school antique mixer :) and i’m seriously very addicted to dried mango!

39 Carol May 23, 2011

WOW! Your garden looks great! Can’t wait to see the results of your hard work!

40 ellalinea May 23, 2011

Ooooh I wish I had a garden after seeing your lovely pics, the antique market also looks very interesting.. looks like you had a great weekend :))

41 Jess May 23, 2011

I love your obsession with kale. I also am overly fond of kale. I can’t wait to get barrels of it from my farm share! :D

42 Katie May 23, 2011

You’re killing me with the gardening posts! I can’t plant anything until I move into my new house in about 3 weeks and I all I want to do is garden!! I always plant things much closer together than they say to, and it has always worked out just fine for me! And I have found that tomatoes do much better in pots, because you can move them to the sunniest spots and they are easier to cover when the nighttime temps dip below their preferred heat.

The deck looks awesome too!

43 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life May 23, 2011

What stunning photos! Looks like a weekend full of healthy doings, inside and out!

44 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 23, 2011

Wow – you two have been very busy!! I can’t wait to see how your garden comes along in the weeks ahead! I only have room for some potted herbs, which I also did yesterday! I got a bunch of cute pots from the dollar store, but I’m afraid they might be too small as well! I guess that’s a good thing if our green thumbs let our plants flourish :-)
Have a great holiday Monday!!

45 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 23, 2011

Beautiful deck – and I’m sure your garden will turn out just fine!

46 Faith @ lovelyascharged May 23, 2011

Angela, you look so radiant in those pictures…I can really tell you’re enjoying yourself and doing something you love. That in and of itself makes it a perfect day, no matter what was on the agenda!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

aww thanks Faith! I did have fun :)

48 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 23, 2011

I adore your garden! I live in the city, but have a terrace…I can’t wait to plant some herbs in a little flower box!

49 Mac May 23, 2011

You’re never going to have to go to the grocery store or farmer’s market EVER again! Good luck with the garden :)

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

unless I kill it all! haha

51 Cara Craves... May 23, 2011

Happy Victoria Day to you!

52 Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life May 23, 2011

What a wonderful day! Your gardens are looking beautiful so far. Good job! 20 kale plants!!!? Woohoooo! That’s awesome. I love kale so much. I’ve been gardening a lot too. It’s so amazing!

53 Moni'sMeals May 23, 2011

You and me both share the same idea of what a perfect day is! Are we dorks!? I say never! Your day is honestly my idea of a perfect day. :) (Just add my dogs, chocolate, and My husband!)

Your deck, your herbs! wow are you getting it done lady!

Love your dish, looks like something I make weekly. :)
Happy Monday!

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

yes we must be ;)

55 katie May 23, 2011

the deck is seriously going to be gorgeous! I wish I had a deck even 1/4th that size. good luck with gardening, it seems like a hobbie that would take a lot of learning and practicing but you seem to be doing well so far! i hope one day to start a vegetable garden, when I have my own home. it all looks great!

56 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 23, 2011

I love your garden! A backyard for gardening is one of the main things I envy homeowners for.

57 Beth May 23, 2011

That does sound like a perfect day. You put so much time into planning and planting your garden. I’m sure it will flourish!

58 Stacy May 23, 2011

I use the curly stakes for my cucumbers to climb as I don’t have a wide garden for them to spread out and it works wonderfully!! Happy Gardening :)

59 Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 23, 2011

Your whole foods is huge!!! I’m jealous!!! The one we have here in Richmond isn’t very big :(

What a fantastic weekend! Beautiful weather and outdoor adventures!

60 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. May 23, 2011

Your garden looks so beautiful – i’m on the verge of dusting off the gardening gloves myself so this is inspiring!

61 Amy May 23, 2011

The garden looks amazing!!! I also have a black thumb, I always kill plants in the house.. but last year I had my first garden and it went great! Just make sure it’s watered every day and that’s all you gotta do!

62 Kristen Waby May 23, 2011

Goo luck with the garden, it looks like a blast!

63 Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood May 23, 2011

Omigosh, I’m so jealous of your garden! It makes me wistful of the time (last year) when I was incredibly diligent about making the deadline for planting my tomato seeds in the soil (before the end of Spring Break) so that when I came back down from college, I would have the plants germinate. The weather this year has been so bad that I’ve just been slacking (aka lazy) and neglected to grow any seeds until the last minute (this week). Now that I’ve seen your garden, it’s inspired me to take up gardening again, hehe! :)

64 Sarah May 23, 2011

What a great weekend! I love going to flea markets. They have the best stuff!

PS doing an awesome giveaway today, you should check it out!!

65 Paige @Running Around Normal May 23, 2011

A perfect day in deed! I bet you will be in heaven when those veggies sprout!! :)

66 Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 23, 2011

Wow, what a busy day! I am intrigued by the live granola from Whole Foods, and I can’t wait to see your recipe!

67 Cindy Robinson May 23, 2011

Sounds like a wonderful productive day! I love nurseries, I could just walk around them forever! I’m hoping next year to start a vegetable & herb garden. I’m in FL, and I believe it’s a little to late & hot to be starting a garden. One piece of advice my Panka (Grandpa) gave me, be sure to talk to your plants :)

68 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat May 23, 2011

Your garden is so organized! I managed the nice little rows, but there was no planning :) A row of carrots here, some kale there… My lettuce is suffering. It’s just too cold still! However, the peas poked through yesterday and I am super excited. Happy gardening!

69 Krissie J May 23, 2011

Oh man! I’m totally jealous of the deck! It’s huge!

70 Maria @ Scandifoodie May 23, 2011

I love antique markets and thankfully I can always shop there with clear conscious as it’s part of my job ;-) Love your veggies patches as well and the stir-fry is a must try! This is such a cheerful post!

71 Elsa May 23, 2011

I don’t think I’ve ever commented here before, but just want to tell you that I love reading your blog. You take such beautiful photos. And I LOVE reading about your garden progress! We just moved and our current situation won’t allow me to plant a garden for awhile…..so I am living vicariously through you. lol.

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

Thank you Elsa!

73 VeggieGirl May 23, 2011

What a pretty day! I’m jealous of your not-tooooo-hot looking garden, its 94 in Florida and awful to garden in unless its the late evening (with bug spray!)

Ps- I saw several Green Smoothie recipe books this weekend, reminded me of your Green Monsters!!

74 Lacia May 23, 2011

Very cool! Wish I had more room for a veggie garden. I had a small area, but it has now been taken over by my raspberry bushes. Not necesarily a bad thing though…i LOVE me some raspberries.

Oh, and a little forwarning about lilies. You will find they will be overtaken by some little red bugs that will literally eat it to shreds. I’ve tried different things to get rid of them (all organic), but no luck. Only way to do it is to pick ’em of by hand and there’s no way I was doing that!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

oh no I saw a red bug on one yesterday! Thanks for the tip…will have to check them out.

76 Lacia May 23, 2011

Thought I’d link you to a blog post I did about my lilies last year. http://outnumberedbykids.blogspot.com/2010/05/bugs.html This was just when they started to eat away at it. You should have seen what the poor plants looked like after a few weeks. More holes than plant.

77 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food May 23, 2011

I couldn’t think of a better day to be called ‘perfect’! I am totally jealous of your deck! It’s going to be so perfect for entertaining!
P.S. Your gardens are looking great! ;-)

78 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 23, 2011

The deck is looking great – and what a great idea to find little items for photos!! so smart!

79 Baking 'n' Books May 23, 2011

How long does it take you to run 3 miles? To get all that in just 40 minutes?!

Do you live close to a WF’s?! So jealous! :)

80 Ashley May 23, 2011

I’m so impressed by the deck and your gardening!! Tilling the soil…woohoo! Just like a professional. :) I’m jealous of the antique fair..how fun! Looks like a lovely day. :)

81 Karla Garcia May 23, 2011

Hi Angela! I follow your blog everyday! I am a huge fan. You are very inspirational.
If i may give a piece of advice to you and your readers: fence/cage your parsley. Last year i had mine out and up for grabs… bunnies ate the whole thing! I am glad they liked it :D

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

great tip! Thank you :)

83 LauraJayne May 23, 2011

I LOVE the Whole Foods vegan salad options at the Salad Bar! They totally make my day (and give me yet another reason to visit Whole Foods)!

84 Andrea @ The Skinny Chronicles May 23, 2011

Hi. I only recently found your blog. (I guess I am late to the party…) Nevertheless, I LOVE those garden stakes. So perfect.

85 Heather May 23, 2011

Great job on the Garden- I absolutely LOVE the plant markers, can you tell me where they are from- the link doesn’t seem to be working; thanks!

86 Tara May 25, 2011

I agree! I love the versatility of them and would love to purchase some!

87 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 23, 2011

The garden and the deck are coming along nicely! You are going to have so many nice fresh veggies! I’m a bit jealous!

88 Stephanie @ Lunges and Lunch May 23, 2011

What a wonderful day! I was so excited to see those jars – I love jars. :)

And I one day hope to have a garden and magically grow a green thumb overnight. So far my track record is I’ve killed every plant I’ve owned (including bamboo and cactus). eep

89 Olya May 23, 2011

Fantastic job with your plants! Your veggie beds look lovely! We’re in the process of making veggie beds, and the first thing I want in them is strawberries! :)

90 Keelie May 23, 2011

You day DOES sound perfect! I adore your garden- can’t wait to see how everything turns out! :)

91 Emily E. May 23, 2011

I know you get this all the time, but I just love your blog! You inspire me to be a more witty blogger, a healthier eater, a creative photographer and a pursuer of my passions. You do seriously amazing work.

92 Sara @BakingandWine May 23, 2011

You are way braver than I am.

I don’t put my black thumb towards anything plant related!!! Ha.

93 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 23, 2011

wowza! A perfect day indeed!

94 Nina (SLO Foodie) May 23, 2011

Love seeing your garden grow! I’m starting one this summer and excited to see how yours turns out. :)

95 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 23, 2011

Spending the day outdoors is my definition of a perfect day too! It looks like your garden is really coming along well. I bet you can’t wait to be able to cook with all your freshly grown veggies! :D

96 Katy May 23, 2011

Your garden looks awesome – you are going to be STOCKED on delicious veggies this summer! To ease your mind, I have a small container garden on our back patio, and it survived the pounding rain, hail, and tornadoes here (Tennessee) when that huge system moved through the South a few weeks ago… so no worries, your plants will probably live through anything except maybe frost/freeze! :-)

97 Tiffany May 23, 2011

It looks like you had a very fun day! I hope to be able to start my own garden up soon. By the way, last night I tried a restaurant called True Food and had a kale salad that was so good! We asked the server if he could divulge the recipe and he said it was online. Here is a link to it if you’re interested–http://www.truefoodkitchen.com/recipes/tuscan-kale-salad.php Seeing your kale plants reminded me! I’m sure you could either omit the cheese or use nutritional yeast. He said the trick was to let the lemon mixture sit on it for about 20 minutes before you eat it.

98 janet May 23, 2011

Your garden looks great! I am surprised you crammed so many kale plants in there! I planted lacinato and red russian kale seeds this weekend and they needed to be 50cm apart!

99 Courtney (ArmyWifeFit) May 23, 2011

Can I just tell you – you have like my DREAM days? I wish I could go antiquing and visit Whole Foods and then go plant and play in my garden! Lucky woman!

100 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 23, 2011

Wow – a perfect day indeed. Your plants look fantastic! Congratulations on getting them all in and ending up with such a beautiful set up. Your individual pots look great too (I have herbs in similar sizes and they seem to do ok). I hope you enjoy eating them when they grow…I’m sure you’ll manage just fine with keeping them alive :)

101 Luv What You Do May 23, 2011

Your garden looks BEAUTIFUL! I can’t wait to see all your fresh produce. I’m so jealous…wish we had the space to grow something…anything!

102 Alaina May 23, 2011

Sounds like one heck of a day to me!! The garden is looking lovely!!

103 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 23, 2011

Looks like a fantastic day Ange!! As you know, WF is definitely on my list of things to do on an ideal day as well! I’m assuming this trip probably wasn’t as long as our last one though since Eric probably doesn’t find the health & beauty aisle as fascinating as we do! ;) The deck looks absolutely amazing, as do your flowerbeds! We just got our plants in today (conveniently just before the rain pounded them – ouch!) and although I’m not growing as many delicious veggies as you, my basil is doing really well! It’s in a pot that looks about the same size as yours and I haven’t had any issues yet, but I’m not sure about how much space the other ones you’re growing need. I guess you’ll just have to use them faster if they start to overflow! :)

104 Pure2raw twins May 23, 2011

lovely garden!! I wish I had a backyard to grow my own produce. I have tried once doing it in pots, but failed. Maybe I will give it another try.

105 Aundra (fitforlife) May 23, 2011

Great garden! You’ll love it, especially the first time you take a vegetable from it!

Companion planting is great, I’m glad you’re starting with it…I found a great book called “Soil Mates” that is perfect for help with companion planting.

You won’t kill everything…promise! Just check on the plants each day, and add water as needed. You’ll rock it!!

Good luck!!!

106 Lu @ A Mix of it All May 23, 2011

Gorgeous deck! Way to go guys! I don’t think you’ll kill everything in your garden. I’d like you to come to my yard and make mine look that pretty, but it’s not going to happen so I’ll just hope that I don’t kill anything. I can’t wait to see how the kale turns out.

107 Carly May 23, 2011

We move next week and there is room at my new place for a garden. I’m so excited, and so excited to take all your tips (as well as some of the awesome ones in the comments!)

108 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 23, 2011

My WF doens’t have sweet frozen cherries either. Sad.

Your garden looks fantastic! I can’t wait to see what everything looks like “all grown up.”

109 Madeleine Pearce May 23, 2011

Just started following your blog over the last few months, love it!! I have tried a lot of recipes and all are great. You could almost turn me into a vegan except my boys would not give up meat. Love your garden, where in Ontario are you?

110 Amykinz (foodie4healing) May 23, 2011

Two things I’m jealous of: 1) I wish/wonder MN had an antique market! How would I go about finding one? 2) I want your gardens!!!!!!!!! And I LOVE the lillies!

111 Sportsgirl May 24, 2011

OMG ideal weekend!! I love gardening!!
I have a lot of herbs in pots and this is what I use:
Dill – terracotta pot, 28cm diameter
Rosemary – 2 plants 1 x 20cm diameter and v deep terracotta pot (cone shaped almost), 1 x 28cm diameter normal terracotta pot.
Basil needs a wider pot rather than a deep pot, use those shorter squat terracotta pots with a wide opening. I think mine is 35cm diameter? You can plant about 3-4 plants in those successfully and that will give you A LOT! Make sure you pinch off the tops when they reach about knee height to encourage the plant to grow bushy rather than high. Also stops them bolting to seed as easy.
Parsley – 1 x plant in a 28cm diameter terracotta pot.

I’d also urge you to get oregano and thyme! Thyme is one of my favourite herbs!

112 Annika May 24, 2011

Hey. I just found your blog and your posts and story are so inspiring! I think I’m here to stay!

P.S.: And oh do I want that Sleeman’s sign!!!

113 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 24, 2011

Yay for the veggie garden. It’s going to look amazing when everything has bloomed.

114 Nathalie May 24, 2011

That is my idea of a perfect day, too!!! Wonderful! I grow lots of veg too, just planted up the greenhouse yesterday…I say grow…I mean intend to grow ;-) My favourite companion plants are calendulas, nasturtiums and tagetes (tagetes are supposed to be especially good near tomatoes to keep the pests away), and they are all so pretty and soooo easy to grow! Good luck with you veggie garden, I look forward to reading your updates!

115 Michelle @ Lifewithacrazypup May 24, 2011

I just built a garden over the weekend too!! I can’t wait until all our hard work starts paying off with some fruits and veggies!!

116 Emily May 24, 2011

Growing healthy food for you and your family is a truly rewarding experience. I have grown a “kitchen garden” for many years and most everything I have learned (of value) has been from trial and error. And there is nothing more devastating that cheering on a plant only to have it fail, they become your little babies! Which is why I feel compelled to tell you, those tomato plants are in MUCH too small containers. The twisty poles might look great as supports, but in my experience, they do not truly support a strong growing indeterminate variety tomato plant. The Beefsteak variety fruit can be over 1lb, they need help holding that up! Remember, tomatoes are vines and need deep strong roots to support their continuously growing upper bodies. Your planters look great now, but will not support healthy plants that produce much fruit. Read up on tomatoes, I always find it helpful to read about each variety you are growing, not just general tomato plants. I learned a great deal about different types of fertilizers and composts (I grow organic, too!) about pruning your plant to keep its energy towards fruit production, and about the best way to stake and support them. It is heartbreaking to realize you planted them in containers too small, only to try and move them and find out you disturbed their roots too much to bring them back to full production. Also, plant them deeeeeeep. The plants will sprout roots all the way up the vine, so replant them in a larger container, rip off the first few sets of leaves and plant them deep down, always prune the “suckers” that grow in the arms of the plant (but never any flowering branches) to focus energy on fruit, not foliage, and side dress with compost tea or other organic fertilizer when then begin to flower and then as they need it. the Good luck!

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2011

Thank you so much for this helpful info!!! I appreciate it very much. I dont think you are bullying me at all…haha. Id rather tips now than later. I will be on the hunt for bigger pots- probably for the herbs too.

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2011

oh and more stakes!

119 Emily May 26, 2011

Really enjoy all your recipes and posts, so glad to help!

120 Emily May 24, 2011

I just looked at your pictures again, I am not trying to bully you at all, I just have had so many failed plants for not knowing exactly what to do…and it hurts when you lose them! Peas need something to climb, they are also vines. Same with cucumbers and beans. Cucumbers will blow your mind just how much the grow and spread, their little tendrils reaching for whatever they can grab! And you will probably want to stake your pepper plants as well. Well staked plants don’t have to struggle under their own weight, therefore they can focus more on fruit production.

121 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 25, 2011

That does sound pretty perfect! Glad you enjoyed the long weekend :-)

122 Beth May 25, 2011

Great garden update with excellent photos of your progress. I’m sure your gardens will do well. You most certainly will have an abundance this summer. Enjoy!

123 Marisa June 3, 2011

Your garden looks GREAT! You might have to keep an eye on those herbs though, they tend to grow pretty fast (and this comes from someone with definitely not even a hint of green fingers).