A Perfect Day

IMG 6137   A Perfect Day

If you asked me what a perfect day would look like, yesterday was certainly it.

IMG 6139   A Perfect Day

My day started off with a 3 mile run followed by some core work, push-ups, and at-home yoga. I didn’t have much time, but I cranked out this well-rounded workout in 40 minutes.

IMG 6023   A Perfect Day

After showering and breakfast, Eric and I headed to the always fun Aberfoyle Antique market. It was supposed to rain all day, but it held off all morning. I love pleasant surprises with the forecast.

IMG 6018   A Perfect Day

This antique market is huge and it has some great finds. Tons of gorgeous hand-crafted furniture, that is out of our budget right now!

IMG 6019   A Perfect Day

IMG 5014 thumb   A Perfect Day IMG 5010 thumb   A Perfect DayIMG 5012 thumb   A Perfect Day

I was on the hunt for photography props and I came home with a bag full. :)

IMG 6180   A Perfect Day

I got a bag of things for just $20!

IMG 6178   A Perfect Day

We ran some errands after that- Home Depot & Home Hardware for a couple tools for Eric and Whole Foods for groceries, lunch, and organic gardening seeds.

img 1555 thumb   A Perfect Day

I had basically every vegan protein salad from Whole Foods that I could cram into my box. It was wonderful!

IMG 6035   A Perfect Day

Non-tripod, shaky-hand, fuzzy pictures ensued. ;)

IMG 6031   A Perfect Day

Eric had a tomato & cheese pizza pie. It looked a bit weak to me!

IMG 6024   A Perfect Day

Mentionable purchases from Whole Foods:

• Dried Mango (yessssss)
  • Live granola (will be making this on the blog soon)
  • Organic kale
  • Frozen pitted sour cherries (they don’t have frozen sweet cherries…why?)
  • Epsom salts
  • purple garlic
  • 360 Woven wheat crackers
  • Full of Fruit Coconut Popsicles
  • Mason D’Orphee organic delicate EVOO

After that we hit up another nursery to finish getting the plants & pots I needed. The kale and such are not ‘certified organic’, but I was told the local grower doesn’t use pesticides.

IMG 6044   A Perfect Day

On the way home, the sun came out to reveal a beautiful, warm day! What a great long weekend this has turned out to be.

IMG 6129   A Perfect Day

And then it was time to plant the veggie garden…it was G-day or bust.

I got my trusty garden plan that I drew out after consulting Wiki’s info on Companion Planting. I tried to plant everything near other companion plants so they would have the best chance of surviving my black thumb!!

My plan is all mucked up right now, but I hope to re-draw it and post it on the blog soon.

IMG 6058   A Perfect Day

Thanks to Karly, I had these wonderful stakes to use!

The first thing I did was set the plants and bags of seeds directly onto the soil so I could visualize where everything was going to be on the two beds.

IMG 6061   A Perfect Day

I previously looked up the spacing requirements for each plant, so after I did this I got a ruler and roughly measured the spacing for each. It took me so much longer than I anticipated to lay everything out.

IMG 6053   A Perfect Day

At this point, our lovely neighbours came over and gave us a big barrel of local Mushroom compost! I moved the plants off, added some in, and then tilled the soil to mix it in.

IMG 6070   A Perfect Day

They also gave us that curly pole that we will use for our tomato plant. Apparently you can buy these at Dollarstore for much cheaper than Home Depot.

We had lots of triple mix leftover which was a great thing because we needed it for the potted plants.

IMG 6124   A Perfect Day

Initially, we were going to put the 3 tomato plants in the beds, but we ran out of room (thanks to my little kale obsession). We moved the pots to a sunny area by the other side of the house.

IMG 6093   A Perfect Day

I checked and double checked my plan and tried to squeeze everything in! We had to place a few things closer together than we wanted to, but I’m sure it will work out just fine…or not.

IMG 6073   A Perfect Day IMG 6075   A Perfect Day

Do not be fooled by my smile, I have no idea what I’m doing!!

IMG 6100   A Perfect Day

• 20 kale plants
  • 10 romaine plants
  • 12 spinach plants
  • 4 sugar snap pea plants
  • a few garlic cloves

IMG 6097   A Perfect Day

Do you think I will kill everything? I sure hope not!

Last night we had a brief thunderstorm and pouring rain and I sat up in bed and said, ‘MY POOR PLANTS!’

I checked on them first thing this morning, and they survived. ;)

Herbs!

IMG 6109   A Perfect Day

In pots:

• 2 Beefsteak tomato plants
  • 1 roma tomato plant
  • Curley parsley
  • flat parsley
  • Mint
  • Rosemary
  • Dill
  • Basil (need to get another pot first!)

I’m actually worried that these pots won’t be big enough for the herbs! What do you think?

IMG 6115   A Perfect Day IMG 6116   A Perfect DayIMG 6117   A Perfect Day IMG 6118   A Perfect Day

The gardening took a solid 3 hours with a couple what-have-i-gotten-myself-into moments. ;)

I also planted these Lilies in the front garden that were birthday gifts from Eric.

IMG 6092   A Perfect Day

IMG 6122   A Perfect Day

Eric and the guys also finished the entire base of the deck on Saturday.

IMG 6145   A Perfect Day

IMG 6147   A Perfect Day

I’m so impressed! There are 3 sets of stairs and all the railings left. Still lots of work yet, but it is coming along wonderfully.

IMG 6149   A Perfect Day

Around 8pm, we finally came in famished for dinner. I had no idea what to make, so I decided to just throw a bunch of things in a skillet and see where it took me. :) The best kind of meal, I say.

Appetizer was roasted red pepper hummus and Baked Woven thins (just whole wheat and salt as the ingredients).

IMG 6156   A Perfect Day

The first thing I did was cook a grain because that takes the longest. I cooked up about 3/4 cup of speltberries on the stovetop.

IMG 6163   A Perfect Day

Based on what I had in my kitchen, I decided to make a Speltberry chickpea veggie stirfry, infused with lemon, Thyme, and Rosemary.

Check out the fun shot we got using the GOLD reflector disc. Eric held the gold disc to reflect the sun and it made for a cool picture in an otherwise dark kitchen.

IMG 6159   A Perfect Day

I didn’t measure anything, so the recipe below is a rough estimate of what I made.

IMG 6171   A Perfect Day

In under 30 minutes, I had whipped up a great meal. I wasn’t expecting much from this, but we both loved it. The lemon, Thyme, and rosemary combo was lovely.

IMG 6168   A Perfect Day

On today’s agenda, we have more yard work to accomplish (I still need to weed the front and back flower beds) and we’re going to put some chicken wire around the garden beds so all our cute little bunnies around here don’t eat all my KALE!! Luckily, it looks like the weather will hold up again today. Tonight, we have a BBQ with a few friends to end the long weekend. It should be a good one.

If you are enjoying the holiday Monday, Happy Victoria Day to you!

kalli May 23, 2011

what a perfect day! your yard and deck look gorgeous! i took today off and i am headed to get flowers for our garden after a nice bike ride…..enjoy victoria day and i will celebrate in spirit here in the us :)

kate May 23, 2011

What a perfect weekend im so jealous of your gardens, all of my plants are in pots and im so nervous I will kill them all. Your stir fry looks amazing meals I just throw together often end up being my favorites. Enjoy your bbq tonight and hopefully some gorgeous weather!!

Julie @ Shining From Within May 23, 2011

that sounds like a lovely day ended with the perfect meal! I love days like that :) Gardening can be a lot of work! I am tired just reading about it haha.

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 23, 2011

I can see why this was a perfect day :) Have a great week — and Happy Victoria Day!

Kelly May 23, 2011

Your garden/deck look beautiful! I have been wanting to start an herb garden myself for a while but I’m afraid to because I don’t have much space.. This post makes me think I still might be able to! Oh, andthe speltberry chickpea salad also looks amazing.

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 23, 2011

We ran out of time this weekend to get planting and such done — hopefully we can get going on things this coming weekend!

Good luck with your plants. I also have a black thumb and hope to turn it green this summer with my garden.

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe May 23, 2011

Your vegetable garden is looking great! That deck is really coming along too.

Heather (heathers dish) May 23, 2011

Wow that really does look like a perfect day! I love yalls planter beds too…fantastic job!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 23, 2011

Wow, what a productive Sunday! We had about the same too. I love all of the blogging props you bought! I can’t wait to see more of them. I’d never thought to go to an antique store for props, brilliant! Have a great holiday Monday :)

Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers May 23, 2011

The garden is coming along so well! I’m happy to hear you had such a great weekend.

Jennifer May 23, 2011

Did you end up finding the plants you bought yesterday as organics? Like the kale and stuff.
If so what nursery were you able to find that at? I’m having trouble finding organic veggie plants myself

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

They weren’t ‘certified organic’ but I was told that the local grower does not used pesticides :) From Jade Gardens I think it was called?
We got a bunch of certified organic from taylor nursery and organic seeds from whole foods.

Blaine May 23, 2011

Ahh, the garden is so exciting! I love my own little porch-garden, but I’m lusting after a yard with good sun.

A word of advice for the pots: make sure the tomatoes have a LOT of root space, as they are greedy and like lots of room for their feet. I used big pots for mine. I have made the mistake of planting more than one tomato plant in the same container – don’t do that either! They’re very competitive plants and they won’t like that either :) They may grow seemingly okay at first in smaller pots but remember, if you wants lots of healthy tomatoes, they need lots of space!
The herbs looks like they will be fine, they usually fill out wherever they are and they don’t have deep roots.

My favorite resource for planting are the books Grow Great Grub and You Grow Girl, both by Gayla Trail. They’re SO good, and removed a lot of my own fear from planting my own food.

Happy growing! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

thanks!!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 23, 2011

Whole Foods…gardening…it definitely sounds like a perfect day! My husband and I live in an apartment, so we obviously can’t have a huge garden. We did plan beets, radishes, jalapenos and onions in some planters last weekend.

Gen May 23, 2011

sounds like an awesome day!!! can’t wait to see how your garden turns out! :D

Shay May 23, 2011

I love the mismatched pots your herbs are in. The diversity creates a strange unity. Your backyard is gorgeous already!

The Healthy Hipster May 23, 2011

My speltberries are in the slow cooker as we speak! And I’m headed off to the Junction to go antiquing right now. Hope you have a nice relaxing holiday Monday Angela! (Enough with all this productivity, sheesh ;))

Nikita May 23, 2011

Your garden is going to be beautiful! I’m jealous- I live in an apartment with a tiny porch that gets no sun. Last year we tried potted plants but nothing did very well… This year I purchased a CSA instead!

Halley (Blunder Construction) May 23, 2011

This does look like a perfect day! The antique market looks like a lot of fun, I’ve never been rummaging before. Glad to see this kind of update from you!

Lizzie May 23, 2011

You and I need to go to Whole Foods and create amazing salad combos – anytime I treat myself to their salad bar it’s a mish mash of exactly what you had, sadly the reason being that I can’t get organized enough to have those ingredients on hand to make the salads in the first place!! :)

Also wanted to add that it’s a dreary day where I am, and just working through some crappy crap at the moment and this post made me feel more sunshiney – thanks Angela!

Oh, and mint supposedly takes right over, so maybe you will need a bigger pot? I need to start my tiny apartment herb garden soon!

DessertForTwo May 23, 2011

Your garden looks great! It makes me so happy to see people gardening in their back yards! I thought it was going to go extinct for a second :)

Daniel May 23, 2011

Your garden looks pretty spectacular so far! We’re planning on starting a garden soon and I was wondering what kind of soil / fertilizer you use. I wanted something animal-friendly and my Mom was wondering whether or not it would be ok to use manure in it. I wasn’t sure so I thought maybe you would know a bit more about soils and that sort of thing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2011

We used an orgaic triple mix from Van Beek’s in Oakville

Sportsgirl May 24, 2011

The best fertilizer comes from animals: rabbits poop, chicken poop, cow/horse poop. I have a rabbit and put it straight into the soil!
Seaweed fertilizer is also good.

Shanna, Like Banana May 23, 2011

I don’t think you will kill a thing! I’d be more concerned about the critters that may come out from your lush forest in the background ;)

Sarah May 23, 2011

Looks like a fabulous weekend!…and this post has me craving a trip to the Whole Foods hot bar!

Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 23, 2011

These pictures are gorgeous! It looks like you had an amazing day! I love going to markets just to look even if I know I wont be buying much. I just started a tiny garden on the edge of one of our beds in our backyard. I’m so excited! I really hope it turns out well.

Any tips for a gardening beginner? :)

Aleksandra S May 23, 2011

My darling you did so well on your first planting trip!! I only wish I had a backyard (versus a balcony) so that I could plant my own. I guess this just means I need to be very discerning when choosing my plants haha.

Btw – where did you purchase the Kale plant? I have fallen in love with kale but had no idea I could grow it myself. Again – small space means I need to be picky about what I grow.

I figured I’d do two balcony boxes of flowers, some herbs (mint, oregano and basil methinks), two low boxes of ferns (like a hosta for greenery) and another few large containers with lettuce (they have a 3 lettuce blend at Loblaw’s but now I may need to go Kale!) and some strawberries.

For any gardeners reading this, please let me know if I’m going about this the wrong way. And for you, darling, your garden will be fine! Just be sure to water and fertilize appropriately. :) I can’t wait to see how awesome your garden will look in but a few week’s time!

Amy May 23, 2011

Hey there… I saw GINORMOUS bags of dried mango at Costco. Just thought I’d let you know!

Char May 23, 2011

What amazing progress you’re making with the garden! I love how much kale you planted…tons of new recipes this summer, I hope? I honestly wished I lived closer to Oakville to have access to Whole Foods. I absolutely love it and need an excuse to be over that way more (grandparents live there…maybe I should visit more frequently lol). I’ve never cooked with spelt berries, but they look mighty enticing. I love the randomness of just throwing together some items that you have – you’re right, they honestly make the best meals!

thehealthyapron May 23, 2011

I loved the weekend! The weather was beautiful! I wish I had a garden to plan (even if I also have no idea what I’m doing)! Great finds at the antique stoer!

jenna May 23, 2011

wow this garden sure was thought out well!! :) can’t wait to see is flourish!

Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 23, 2011

This sure does sound like the perfect day! Your garden looks great. I had herbs in pots, and they all died. I was told that the pots were too small, so you’d better keep an eye on yours! Then again, I don’t have a green thumb, and I manage to kill all plants. Probably even fake plants.

Emily May 23, 2011

This looks like such a fabulous day, I love antiques and Whole Foods and great weather! And you look great in your photos, you definitely could pass as a gardening pro!

chelsea May 23, 2011

That does sound like a perfect day!! I love when your expecting rain and it doesn’t come! I bett when your garden is in full bloom you’ll be loving it!

Katherine May 23, 2011

O my, that salad looks amazing!

I know that this might not be proper, but I am very desperate and I just am needing to reach out to the blogging community. Please read this blog-the second issue addressed-to understand. http://divinelyvegan.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/very-important-post-help-needed/

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 23, 2011

what a great day! i absolutely love the old school antique mixer :) and i’m seriously very addicted to dried mango!

Carol May 23, 2011

WOW! Your garden looks great! Can’t wait to see the results of your hard work!

ellalinea May 23, 2011

Ooooh I wish I had a garden after seeing your lovely pics, the antique market also looks very interesting.. looks like you had a great weekend :))

Jess May 23, 2011

I love your obsession with kale. I also am overly fond of kale. I can’t wait to get barrels of it from my farm share! :D

Katie May 23, 2011

You’re killing me with the gardening posts! I can’t plant anything until I move into my new house in about 3 weeks and I all I want to do is garden!! I always plant things much closer together than they say to, and it has always worked out just fine for me! And I have found that tomatoes do much better in pots, because you can move them to the sunniest spots and they are easier to cover when the nighttime temps dip below their preferred heat.

The deck looks awesome too!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life May 23, 2011

What stunning photos! Looks like a weekend full of healthy doings, inside and out!

Andrea @ Vegvacious May 23, 2011

Wow – you two have been very busy!! I can’t wait to see how your garden comes along in the weeks ahead! I only have room for some potted herbs, which I also did yesterday! I got a bunch of cute pots from the dollar store, but I’m afraid they might be too small as well! I guess that’s a good thing if our green thumbs let our plants flourish :-)
Have a great holiday Monday!!

Page 1 of 3123»