Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

Happy Saturday :) We are having a beautiful start to the long weekend! Eric and I were up bright and early to hit the Farmer’s Market for the first time this year. Despite only being in the second week, they had a great selection of vendors!

IMG 6007   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

What a great morning for a market!

I brought home some local asparagus, crisp Empire apples, and green-house grown raspberries:

IMG 6011   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

After that, we went to the nursery to buy organic plants for my veggie garden. We were told that they were going to have a big selection of organic plants, but they only carried about 5 of the organic plants I wanted to buy on my list. They didn’t have any organic kale, lettuce, or spinach which are 3 things I definitely want to grow. I’m going to look again for another nursery this weekend and try to figure out what I’m going to do. I may have to plant organic seeds or just buy some non-organic plants if I can’t find what I want. Finding organic plants is turning out to be a much more difficult process than I hoped it would be.

In other exciting news, a couple of you directed me to the Raw Aura Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chip recipe that Doug McNish posted online!

Remember, these bad boys that we demolished at Raw Aura on Tuesday night?

IMG 58441   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

They are hands down the best tasting kale chips I have ever had. They tasted just like Sour Cream and Onion CHIPS!

I made two batches last night- one in the food dehydrator and one in the oven.

IMG 5971   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

The sour cream and onion sauce is incredible! It tastes great on raw kale.

IMG 5972   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

Sadly, the oven baked chips didn’t turn out like I thought they would. I baked them at 300F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Some were soggy and some were browned along the edges. Not a great outcome. I think it was because the sauce is super thick. I also probably should have spread them out onto 2 pans instead of one.

IMG 6002   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

However, the dehydrated chips worked out wonderful! The recipe says to dehydrate them for 12 hours at 105F, but I was impatient so I dehydrated them at 140F for about 4.5-5 hours or so.

The recipe can be found here. The only thing I changed was increasing the salt to 1/2 tsp because I found the dressing needed a bit more oomph.

IMG 6005   Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

I’m off to a hot yoga flow class and then it’s outside the rest of the day to plant the garden and do some much needed weeding along all the beds. We’re supposed to get rain Sunday and Monday (Eric tells me until Thursday again!) so I need to do everything I can outside today.

Eric and the guys are also hard at work on the deck, so hopefully I have more progress pics coming up tomorrow.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 22, 2011

Yum, they look delicious! I’m happy you found a recipe! Usually when I make kale chips in the oven, I set it to 350F and cook them for about 15-20 minutes, especially if they have cashew puree on them. Good luck with your next batch!
Our farmers market opens at the end of the month, I couldn’t be more excited!

Dolores May 22, 2011

Ooh!!! I LOVE that farmer’s market! Ours is so small compared to that. I want a dehydrator too. Those kale chips look delish!

Kate May 22, 2011

I’m so excited for my farmers market next weekend. Your produce looks gorgeous.

ellalinea May 22, 2011

Those apples look so good, I wish we had more farmers markets here..

The Teenage Taste May 22, 2011

Kale chips are the bomb! My friend makes spicy ones in her dehydrator and I love them! Do you know any good oven kale chip recipes? I don’t have a dehydrator and don’t want to shell out the $$$ to get one. Haha, I’m a cheapskate… :-P

Barry May 22, 2011

What you do seems much more fun than opening a can. I believe our farmers markets are beginning to attract an audience. Spring in Calgary is late. Snowpack above 6,000 ft is still significant. This salad looks marvellous.

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 22, 2011

I love kale chips! Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips?!?! Incredible!

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 22, 2011

I like this recipe! sounds simple and yummy–kind of like cashew “cheese dressing”?

Andrea @ Vegvacious May 22, 2011

Yay!! I was hoping you’d post this recipe — these chips sound fabulous!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 22, 2011

I need to make a trip to the farmers market! Those kale chips sound perfect, but I wonder if anyone has luck in the oven? I don’t have a dehydrator to make them with.

Liz May 22, 2011

I was going to post about The Cottage Gardener but I see someone already did – it’s a great resource, they have tons of organic/heirloom varieties! You could start seeds indoors, but at this point it’s warm enough out to just sow the seeds directly in the ground. The leafy greens grow really quickly anyway – you’ll have your own kale before you know it!

rawkinmom May 22, 2011

Just pulled my cheezy kale chips out of the D!!!!!! YUMMY!!!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 22, 2011

I can’t wait for your progress update! :)

I’ve never tried Kale Chips. Are they as easy as wash, spray with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake? I have got to make them then! :)

Amanda May 23, 2011

Growing those plants from seed shouldn’t be a problem in your zone. You can even start them outside without problem. I personally do not mind using non-organic plants in my garden. In my opinion, avoiding chemical treatment in the garden is more important. I know that I have never had luck finding many truely 100% organic plants.

jenna May 23, 2011

sounds like you had a perfect weekend! :) these kale chips look awesome…so sad I don’t have a dehydrator! :(
will you be taking your glo bars to the farmers market agian this year?

Mac May 23, 2011

Dying to try these, but don’t have a dehydrator… guess I’ll have to wait until I visit my parents!

Melissa May 24, 2011

I’m really interested in purchasing a dehydrator. Any suggestions?

Pauline May 26, 2011

Hi Angela – I should have sent this sooner, next time you’re in the market for organic seedlings you might want to check out Trout Lily nursery. They are located about 30 minutes from Milton. Amazing couple runs that as well as Magda farms (not your kind of farm:) Love your blog! I’m not a vegan (or even a vegetarian) but I love your fresh recipes and ideas. Thanks!
Pauline

Laura May 30, 2011

I was hoping to share these with my friends at the office tomorrow but I don’t think there will be any left, per my quick taste test! SO yummy! I’m dehydrating them at about 115 degrees for 6 hours now… I think they’re almost ready.

crottinger July 10, 2012

I LOVE kale chips. My recipe is simply crushed rosemary- I use a grinder- and sea salt and lots of pepper. I tried lemon once but it was too much on the kale.
Then I spread in a single layer- very important- on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for a mere 8 minutes. Any more and they Will burn. :) Any left over moisture on them makes them soggy instead of crisp.
Love SC and O though, so I will definitely try this one.

AmethystJean April 21, 2013

I am going to try this in the oven as I do not have a dehydrator. I will thin out the sauce so that it is not soggy and see if that helps (increasing the onion so that flavour is not diluted) and then leave them in the oven for at least a couple hours after I have turned the oven off.

Page 2 of 2«12