Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips

Happy Saturday :) We are having a beautiful start to the long weekend! Eric and I were up bright and early to hit the Farmer’s Market for the first time this year. Despite only being in the second week, they had a great selection of vendors!

IMG_6007

What a great morning for a market!

I brought home some local asparagus, crisp Empire apples, and green-house grown raspberries:

IMG_6011

After that, we went to the nursery to buy organic plants for my veggie garden. We were told that they were going to have a big selection of organic plants, but they only carried about 5 of the organic plants I wanted to buy on my list. They didn’t have any organic kale, lettuce, or spinach which are 3 things I definitely want to grow. I’m going to look again for another nursery this weekend and try to figure out what I’m going to do. I may have to plant organic seeds or just buy some non-organic plants if I can’t find what I want. Finding organic plants is turning out to be a much more difficult process than I hoped it would be.

In other exciting news, a couple of you directed me to the Raw Aura Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chip recipe that Doug McNish posted online!

Remember, these bad boys that we demolished at Raw Aura on Tuesday night?

IMG_5844

They are hands down the best tasting kale chips I have ever had. They tasted just like Sour Cream and Onion CHIPS!

I made two batches last night- one in the food dehydrator and one in the oven.

IMG_5971

The sour cream and onion sauce is incredible! It tastes great on raw kale.

IMG_5972

Sadly, the oven baked chips didn’t turn out like I thought they would. I baked them at 300F for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Some were soggy and some were browned along the edges. Not a great outcome. I think it was because the sauce is super thick. I also probably should have spread them out onto 2 pans instead of one.

IMG_6002

However, the dehydrated chips worked out wonderful! The recipe says to dehydrate them for 12 hours at 105F, but I was impatient so I dehydrated them at 140F for about 4.5-5 hours or so.

The recipe can be found here. The only thing I changed was increasing the salt to 1/2 tsp because I found the dressing needed a bit more oomph.

IMG_6005

I’m off to a hot yoga flow class and then it’s outside the rest of the day to plant the garden and do some much needed weeding along all the beds. We’re supposed to get rain Sunday and Monday (Eric tells me until Thursday again!) so I need to do everything I can outside today.

Eric and the guys are also hard at work on the deck, so hopefully I have more progress pics coming up tomorrow.

1 Hannah May 21, 2011

Our farmer’s market opens today, too! Though it’s probably about an eighth of the size of yours, haha. I’ve made kale chips in the oven (I don’t have a dehydrator), and they usually work out well, but spreading them out is key; also, finding the right time to leave them in there is hard too….last week they were sorta mushy. Hrmph!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2011

yes I agree it takes a magic touch! :)

3 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) May 21, 2011

ahh i wna go to a farmers market!!! wow i really want these kale chips! they sound delicious!!!!

4 Diana May 21, 2011

I love kale chips. I use parchment paper and make sure they are a single layer on the pan. I use several pans just like making cookies, and cook them in the oven. My favorite is garlic olive oil with cayenne. I grow our kale by starting organic seeds under a light and then transplanting to the garden.

5 India-leigh @ aveganobsession.blogspot.com May 23, 2011

Diana, I don’t have a dehydrator at the moment and I’ve cooked chips in the oven many times but they just seem to be a lot less dense and crunchy and more flaky than the ones you buy in store…what is the consistency of your kale chips like?

6 Amara@GirlinaWhirl May 21, 2011

Any greens work great growing from seed. It’s almost as much work for the plant to adjust from the shock of transplanting than it would be to start from seed. In other words if you transplanted some spinach plants and started some seeds at the same time in the garden the seeds would quickly catch up to the plants anyway. Just make sure your ground stays moist until you can see sprouts come up, and don’t water so hard that you disturb the soil and wash the seeds away and you’ll do fine!

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2011

great tip thank you!

8 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles May 21, 2011

I can only imagine how delicious these kale chips taste! I’m such a fan of the sour cream/onion combo – but not the biggest fan of actual potato chips. Hope you have a lovely weekend, Angela! :)

9 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 21, 2011

This sounds wonderful! I definitely need to try it. Our farmer’s market began this past week, but I have yet to go – need to get on that.

10 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats May 21, 2011

Gah! Thanks to your post I just looked up when my local farmer’s market starts up for the season and I have missed a whole month of it! >.< Thank you for the reminder! Also those kale chips look divine. I can't wait to try them!

11 JL goes Vegan May 21, 2011

Isn’t his recipe great?! I love them in the dehydrator, too. And I make that sour cream all the time for tacos and nachos. YUM!

12 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 21, 2011

I love sour cream and onion chips! Too bad they didn’t turn out in the oven though :(

13 katie May 21, 2011

what a great start to the weekend, enjoy yoga!

14 Julie May 21, 2011

Have a great time outside today! Thanks for brightening my day :)

15 Alaina May 21, 2011

Love farmer’s markets! They’re finally starting to pop up here in Boston.

I’ll have to figure out the whole hydrator thing so that I can make those chips! ;-)

16 Nicole May 21, 2011

Kale has to be the greatest food in the world! Real talk!

17 Danielle May 21, 2011

Those kale chips look fantastic! Too bad it didn’t work out in the oven. Especially for those of us that don’t have a dehydrator :(. About finding organic kale and spinach etc. With leafy green vegetables, you probably won’t find plants. I have never seen them anyway. I usually grow lettuce, spinach, kale, swiss chard, etc from seeds. Good luck with gardening today!

18 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 21, 2011

Oh those chips look AMAZING!!! I’m jsut waiting for kale to be available at our famer’s market!

19 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 21, 2011

The chips look wonderful! Wow they just look fabulous and I am not even an onion girl and I want those! Now!

Recently when I posted my chocolate coconut kale chips recipe, I made them *purposefully* in the oven b/c I realize the avg person doesn’t have a dehydrator and yes, b/c the coating I made for them was uber thick, they took a LONG time to cook in the oven. 300F for maybe 90 mins, but I kept flipping, turning, flipping, turning, and with all the in and out in the oven every 10-15 mins or so, I dont think the temp stayed at a consistent 300F. Likely far below.

So yes, it was possible to make them in the oven for me, but it’s a bit of a PITA to do all the flipping as to not burn them.

However, I hate the sound of my dehyd. It’s so loud and I am one of those ppl that has a phobia about sleeping or leaving the house w/ an appliance like that running so I am always near to it. lol

Have fun at yoga! I linked two of your recent yoga posts yesterday in a post of mine and called them great reads of the week b/c they were so inspiring :)

20 Moni'sMeals May 21, 2011

I am really excited!!!
I have tons of kale right nowand I am going in. I will let you know how it turns out, either way I will be happy as I adore kale. :) But I don’t see myself waiting that long for the cooking time so I might have slighlty burnt ones, oh Well!

Happy Sat. Angela!

21 Namaste Gurl May 21, 2011

Yum! I just got a big thing of kale from the farmers market, so I *might* need to hit your recipe up :)

22 Silvia @ skinny jeans food May 21, 2011

Angela, kale is really easy and quick to grow from seeds, You find organic online.

23 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 21, 2011

Looks great!! So, can you bake kale chips or do you need a dehydrator??

24 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 21, 2011

I love Kale chips!! I made some awesome ones last night too!!
I will have to check out this recipe!! I’m always on the lookout for new recipes!

25 Nikita May 21, 2011

Those kale chips sound great! I have only made made kale chips with salt and spices in the oven. Someday I’ll get a dehydrator… I love that you’ve been posting some raw recipes!
I wanted to let you know that I posted an adaptation of your 5 Ingredient No Bake Date Bars on my blog (and linked back to you of course :) ) and they turned out soo good!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2011

glad you enjoyed them!! mmm I want some now

27 Maddy May 21, 2011

Another great use for those plastic spinach containers : MINI GREENHOUSES! I put a little bit of good quality soil in them, add seeds (this year I planted peas, lettuce, lots of basil, parsley, chives, thyme, tarragon.) Then you add water, close the lids and put in a warm room. I keep my house cool so I put them in the spare bedroom and brought in my portable heater. I keep the soil moist with a spray bottle. Once the plants start to grow I usually leave the covers open (to give them more room…). Then once they’re nice and healthy I transplant them in pots (yes i’m a patio gardener) but it would work for the garden too.

Have you ever heard of Mother Earth News? It’s a great magazine / website! http://www.motherearthnews.com

:-)
Maddy

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2011

great idea! :)

Do you think I will have success directly sowing the seeds into the beds? Im scared!

29 Maddy May 21, 2011

Don’t worry. Just go for it!!! Worst case scenario you can sow another batch after a few weeks if the first ones didn’t take. I’ve come to learn that it’s not about perfection, it’s about the effort and trying to get along with Mother Nature’s moods. Seeds + earth + water + sun = food!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 21, 2011

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I’m sure it will make for a few laughs anyways!

31 Julie @ Shining From Within May 22, 2011

you should try growing them inside first and then planting them outside! I did that and my plants got mature enough to survive outside on their own. They also grew fairly quickly (like 5 days).. I used organic seeds, too.
Good luck :)

32 kaila @ healthy helper! May 21, 2011

WOW that sounds amazing! I love different flavored kale chips…and these are so unique!

33 Ashley May 21, 2011

Hot yoga flow!! FUN!! I would have eaten those kale chips soggy or not…yummmm :) XO!

34 Katie May 21, 2011

YeAH!! Back in my pototo chip days, I was all about sour cream and onion. I am so making this!

35 Rachel (Ravenous Rae) May 21, 2011

Angela,

Last year you made Garlic Scape Pesto – do you have any idea what post that is? I just got some garlic scapes in my CSA box and I would really like to try it. Thanks!!

Rachel

36 Lisa May 21, 2011

Look under recipe tab under “other”.

37 Char May 21, 2011

Ah, I missed the Farmer’s Market today because of work. Luckily, I made it to the last two! Is that the Milton’s farmer’s market? the kale chips sounds so good! I need to try kale chips asap!

38 Lisa May 21, 2011

I just got a new dehydrator I may have to break in with these kale chips!

39 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 21, 2011

Is that the Milton farmer’s market? The farm where I work (Hutchinson Farm) has a stall there! I’m at the stall at the Burlington farmer’s market though.

40 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 21, 2011

Sour cream and onion is a definite winning flavor for me! These sound so yummy :) I really need to make my own kale chips! They’re so expensive to buy pre-made :(

41 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 21, 2011

I have GOT to try that! Just made kale chips with nooch fir the first time the other day. Can’t believe I’ve been eating them without for so long! :)

42 Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 21, 2011

I’m so glad you can make kale chips in a dehydrator because our oven broke this week! The sour cream and onion flavor sounds fantastic!

43 Heather (Faces of Beauty) May 21, 2011

these sound heavenly…i love sour cream and onion chips! i would feel great about them being in a kale version :)

44 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 21, 2011

Looks like a great morning :) I love farmer’s markets, and especially in the sun!

I’m going to sound ignorant here, but what is the difference between organic and non-organic plants? I’ve not come across that distinction here and foolishly assumed all plants in seed or seedling form would be organic. Does it refer to the original plants the seeds / seedlings came from?

45 Nicole May 22, 2011

I know it’s a bit of a trek for you, but you might want to check out Brick Works Garden Centre for organic veggie plants. That’s where I got mine. http://ebw.evergreen.ca/whats-here/evergreen-garden-market/

46 Stephanie @ Lungesandlunch May 22, 2011

I had the same problem when I made kale chips with “cheezy sauce” in the oven. The nutritional yeast mix was so thick so some leafs were soggy and some were near burnt.

I also went to the market today for some asparagus. :) So nice out!

47 Hannah May 22, 2011

While it’s a shame you’re having trouble finding kale plants, spare a thought for we poor people in Canberra, Australia, who can’t even find kale at grocery stores or farmers markets to eat! :(

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2011

Really? is it just not popular?

49 Michelle May 22, 2011

Kale, spinach and lettuce grow quickly and easily from seed. I bought some nice varietes from
The Cottage Gardener and Tree and Twig. They sell heriloom seeds that I imagine are organic. Just goole them to find, both are located in Sourthern Ontario. Happy Gardening Season!!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 22, 2011

Thanks Michelle! Will do :)

Do you start the seed indoors or do you just sow them directly into the soil?

51 Michelle May 23, 2011

I sowed them directly outside. Kale, spinach and lettuce are cool weather vegetables so do better in spring/early summer and in late summer/fall. Kale can be harvested basically until your plant is covered in snow.. it’s awesome! I am going to try planting some lettuce with my tomatoes this year. The lettuce is supposed to act as mulch for the water loving tomatoes and the tomatoes act as shade for the lettuce to prevent it from bolting.

52 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 22, 2011

I need to make these!

53 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 22, 2011

Yum, they look delicious! I’m happy you found a recipe! Usually when I make kale chips in the oven, I set it to 350F and cook them for about 15-20 minutes, especially if they have cashew puree on them. Good luck with your next batch!
Our farmers market opens at the end of the month, I couldn’t be more excited!

54 Dolores May 22, 2011

Ooh!!! I LOVE that farmer’s market! Ours is so small compared to that. I want a dehydrator too. Those kale chips look delish!

55 Kate May 22, 2011

I’m so excited for my farmers market next weekend. Your produce looks gorgeous.

56 ellalinea May 22, 2011

Those apples look so good, I wish we had more farmers markets here..

57 The Teenage Taste May 22, 2011

Kale chips are the bomb! My friend makes spicy ones in her dehydrator and I love them! Do you know any good oven kale chip recipes? I don’t have a dehydrator and don’t want to shell out the $$$ to get one. Haha, I’m a cheapskate… :-P

58 Barry May 22, 2011

What you do seems much more fun than opening a can. I believe our farmers markets are beginning to attract an audience. Spring in Calgary is late. Snowpack above 6,000 ft is still significant. This salad looks marvellous.

59 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 22, 2011

I love kale chips! Sour Cream and Onion Kale Chips?!?! Incredible!

60 Ellie@fitforthesoul May 22, 2011

I like this recipe! sounds simple and yummy–kind of like cashew “cheese dressing”?

61 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 22, 2011

Yay!! I was hoping you’d post this recipe — these chips sound fabulous!

62 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 22, 2011

I need to make a trip to the farmers market! Those kale chips sound perfect, but I wonder if anyone has luck in the oven? I don’t have a dehydrator to make them with.

63 Liz May 22, 2011

I was going to post about The Cottage Gardener but I see someone already did – it’s a great resource, they have tons of organic/heirloom varieties! You could start seeds indoors, but at this point it’s warm enough out to just sow the seeds directly in the ground. The leafy greens grow really quickly anyway – you’ll have your own kale before you know it!

64 rawkinmom May 22, 2011

Just pulled my cheezy kale chips out of the D!!!!!! YUMMY!!!

65 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 22, 2011

I can’t wait for your progress update! :)

I’ve never tried Kale Chips. Are they as easy as wash, spray with olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake? I have got to make them then! :)

66 Amanda May 23, 2011

Growing those plants from seed shouldn’t be a problem in your zone. You can even start them outside without problem. I personally do not mind using non-organic plants in my garden. In my opinion, avoiding chemical treatment in the garden is more important. I know that I have never had luck finding many truely 100% organic plants.

67 jenna May 23, 2011

sounds like you had a perfect weekend! :) these kale chips look awesome…so sad I don’t have a dehydrator! :(
will you be taking your glo bars to the farmers market agian this year?

68 Mac May 23, 2011

Dying to try these, but don’t have a dehydrator… guess I’ll have to wait until I visit my parents!

69 Melissa May 24, 2011

I’m really interested in purchasing a dehydrator. Any suggestions?

70 Pauline May 26, 2011

Hi Angela – I should have sent this sooner, next time you’re in the market for organic seedlings you might want to check out Trout Lily nursery. They are located about 30 minutes from Milton. Amazing couple runs that as well as Magda farms (not your kind of farm:) Love your blog! I’m not a vegan (or even a vegetarian) but I love your fresh recipes and ideas. Thanks!
Pauline

71 Laura May 30, 2011

I was hoping to share these with my friends at the office tomorrow but I don’t think there will be any left, per my quick taste test! SO yummy! I’m dehydrating them at about 115 degrees for 6 hours now… I think they’re almost ready.

72 crottinger July 10, 2012

I LOVE kale chips. My recipe is simply crushed rosemary- I use a grinder- and sea salt and lots of pepper. I tried lemon once but it was too much on the kale.
Then I spread in a single layer- very important- on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for a mere 8 minutes. Any more and they Will burn. :) Any left over moisture on them makes them soggy instead of crisp.
Love SC and O though, so I will definitely try this one.

73 AmethystJean April 21, 2013

I am going to try this in the oven as I do not have a dehydrator. I will thin out the sauce so that it is not soggy and see if that helps (increasing the onion so that flavour is not diluted) and then leave them in the oven for at least a couple hours after I have turned the oven off.