Raw Aura

IMG_5836 IMG_5834

Last night, Eric took me to a raw & vegan restaurant in Mississauga called Raw Aura. I’ve been wanting to check this place out for a while now, so it seemed like a good time! I was slightly worried going to a raw restaurant, after my Birthday experience at Live 2 years ago, but I’ve also had a great raw food experience at Rawlicious, so I figured it was worth a shot!

From the website: ‘The goal of Aura is to provide familiar food that everyone knows and loves, in the most delicious, nutritious, and environmentally – friendly way. By using 100% raw ingredients, this means nothing is heated above 43C / 105F. These living foods are simple to digest, leaving the body light and energized since this simple form requires no extra energy from the body. Flavours are pure, fresh and intense, honouring the divine banquet provided by the earth.All of our ingredients are organic and harvested sustainably, this means you are not only doing yourself a favour, but you are creating fertile space to grow for generations to come.’

IMG_5827

The restaurant is café style, and it is basically a cozy & intimate hole in the wall which is common of many vegan restaurants that I have been to. They prepare a lot of the food right in the dining room.

There is seating for about 16 people, so you can see how small the room is.

IMG_5833

We started with drinks and appetizers. I had ‘The Green Juice’ which was made up of Kale, celery, cucumber, romaine lettuce, parsley, lemon and ginger. My cuppa tea juice! Eric had the Old Credit Amber Ale which was their only beer and he said it was horrible (he is not an ale fan, but if you were you might enjoy it!). Their menu boasted organic beer & wine, so maybe they were running low on beer?

IMG_5840 IMG_5839

IMG_5835

For appetizers, we ordered the Kale Chips which were seasoned with a delicious sour cream cashew, red onion, and chive sauce and dehydrated until crispy.

IMG_5844

They were THE BEST kale chips I have ever tasted! Eric and I both agreed that they tasted just like Sour Cream & Onion chips. We could not detect the kale at all and we polished off the bowl fast. I have to try and recreate these!

We also ordered the Nacho Platter which was made up of crispy corn chips, guacamole, cashew sour cream, fresh tomato salsa and walnut taco meat.

They were also amazing! We polished off the entire plate. :)

IMG_5851

I put a little bit of each topping onto each chip and it was a party in my mouth. The raw nacho chips were also fantastic…I prefer them to corn chips actually.

IMG_5849

After our appetizers, we lingered over our drinks while our stomachs settled for about 10-15 minutes before our main entrees came out.

I ordered a ‘small’ Big Salad which was a huge mix of kale and romaine lettuce topped with avocado, cucumber, tomato, mixed seeds, red pepper, onions, sprouted chickpea hummus, and a live breadstick. I had it with the Herb Citrus dressing.

IMG_5858

It was perfect. Creamy, tangy, flavourful, and extremely filling. I loved the ‘breadstick’ too, it was like a thicker and more flavourful Mary’s Cracker.

Eric and I both ordered the Pizza, which came highly recommended by everyone I talked to. I figured we couldn’t go wrong with pizza!

IMG_5856

The pizza was on a delicious red pepper and sunflower seed flax crust and was topped with a cashew tomato cheese, kale, zucchini, ‘parmesan cheese’, red pepper, and more.

IMG_5855

We loved it. It is VERY filling though, thanks to the dense crust and cashew cheese, so we wrapped up some of it to go. The only minor critique I have of this pizza is that it needed to be served warm. Supposedly it was served warm according to the menu, but we both found it cold, or at minimum room temperature. I will definitely be heating up my leftovers today!

By this point, we were stuffed, but we wanted a little something sweet to end the meal. They offer a sampler dessert plate for $12 and you get to sample 4 desserts. They know the way to a girl’s heart.

IMG_5864

On our sampler plate: Mint Chocolate Ganache Cake, Chocolate Banana Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Brownies.

IMG_5863

All of the cakes were mousse-like in texture with a nut-based crust. I’m not a huge fan of raw cashew-based mousse cakes, but they were pretty good. My favourite was the Mint Chocolate Ganache Cake (the raw ganache was incredible) and Eric couldn’t decide which one he liked the best. Our least favourite was the Chocolate Banana Cake because we are both not big fans of straight up mousse. The brownies were very rich and just a couple small bites was enough.

IMG_5862

All in all, it was a great meal at Raw Aura! My favourite Raw restaurant in the GTA is still Rawlicious, but only because the atmosphere at Rawlicious just can’t be beat (see here for my full review and pictures!). If Raw Aura had the same atmosphere, I would say they are both on par. I think the portion sizes at Raw Aura are larger and you get a bit more value for your dollar. We ordered a lot of food and were surprised at how low the bill was!

I was also happy not to have stomach pains like I did at Live a couple years ago. My stomach is very sensitive to nuts, but it seemed to be just the right amount in my meal last night. I tried to select dishes that were not completely nut-based so I think this helped a lot.

IMG_5828

I left a Happy Birthday Girl. :)

1 kell May 18, 2011

happy . . . and absolutely glowing :) happy birthday!!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

3 Ellie@fitforthesoul May 18, 2011

haha I was going to say the same exact thing!! Must be all the green monsters for sure ;)

4 Peggy @ freshnutrition.net May 18, 2011

I am in desperate need of a raw, vegan restaurant in my small Ontario city, this might be worth the drive to Mississauga, of course, I will need to stop at Fresh on Queen St on the way. Yummy review, Angela!

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

you should also check out Rawlicious if you are in Toronto….awesome!

6 Baking 'n' Books May 18, 2011

Are you close proximity to those areas? I need to move! LOL. Interesting – I wondered about Raw food though – I love nuts, oils etc. But it seems to be the focus of most of their dishes and it seems that combined with other stuff can definitely be hard on the stomach. I don’t know how people do it! – give me a flour pizza crust any day…warm :)

7 jamie @ jamelafamela May 18, 2011

That place looks great…and Happy Birthday!!

8 Pam May 18, 2011

The entire meal sounds wonderful!! And the photo of you is beautifull!! You really do GLOW!!

9 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 18, 2011

I was thinking the same exact thing! Such a great photo.

10 Ricki May 18, 2011

So glad to hear that Raw Aura is still good even though their main chef has moved on! My hubby and I went there once (it’s a trek for us) but were also very impressed. Your meal looks fabulous–and so do you! Birthdays agree wtih you! :D

11 kate May 18, 2011

You look beautiful I am so glad you enjoyed your birthday dinner I would love to find a raw cafe around here to try.

12 Ali May 18, 2011

You look SO happy! Happy birthday!!! Great to hear your party and the dinner were filled with love and happiness!

13 Julie @ Shining From Within May 18, 2011

woop woop! sounds like you had a great meal. there’s nothing better than leaving dinner and feeling refreshed and not bogged down. I want to eat all that food NOW!

14 cathy May 18, 2011

what a wonderful evening out! your photo is dazzling!
thanks for the review, angela. everything looks fabulous!
maybe a spot for a southern ontario blogger meet-up?!

15 Annie@stronghealthyfit May 18, 2011

Looks like a fabulous birthday meal! Happy Birthday :-)

16 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 18, 2011

Ange you look GORGEOUS in the last photo!! Sounds like a delicious meal (minus the beer of course) and I can’t wait to go. I haven’t done much experimentation with raw food but I feel like it’s something I’d want to try. Thanks for the great review!

17 Sara May 18, 2011

Angela, my father-in-law (whose birthday was yesterday as well) lives right in Mississauga and we’ve been meaning to go to Raw Aura for ages! It’s so weird to see it on your blog too!

Happy Belated Birthday and I hope you had a fabulous time.

18 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 18, 2011

You have such a beautiful glow. :)

So lucky to have all of these raw choices! I wish Atlanta would get in on this trend. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a hamburger explosion in my city. *sigh*

19 Lenna May 18, 2011

The place looks really great, but you look totally divine! That is the kind of glow everyone would like to have:)

20 Jill H May 18, 2011

Wow, the food looked delicious. I am quite nervous about trying a raw restaurant but it looks like they found their niche pretty well. What a great picture of you, too! :)

21 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 18, 2011

I was so excited to see you chose Raw Aura for your b-day dinner!
When you said the place you wanted to go was closed on Monday I thought of it only because I live about 5 mins from it in Port Credit and crave it when they aren’t open!! They have a new(ish) chef and I haven’t been in since but have plans to go with a girlfriend next week. I usually opt for one of their ‘pasta’ dishes (zucchini noodles) as they make a mean cashew cream sauce. Their smoothies and kale chips ARE amazing and dessert is always a tough decision.
Glad you liked it, and it didn’t hurt your tummy.
I have been to Rawlicious once (the new one in Yorkville) and was equally impressed.

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Port Credit is just gorgeous! We had such a beautiful drive up :)

23 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 18, 2011

it is, too bad the weather was blah. come back in the summer for a nice afternoon/evening!

24 VEGirl May 18, 2011

You ARE glowing! (must be all the raw food). I love how raw food always has lots of kale– something I could probably do with a bit more of in my life :)

25 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 18, 2011

Angela, your meal and experience sounds great and I love the last pic of you…you’re glowing. As your blog title would suggest :)

“My stomach is very sensitive to nuts, but it seemed to be just the right amount in my meal last night. I tried to select dishes that were not completely nut-based so I think this helped a lot.”-
ME TOO!
When I moved from vegetarian to a GF vegan (pretty much overnight) due to food allergies, I made the mistake of tons of raw nut pates, raw desserts w/ cashews, nuts in my smoothies and i was in just as much (if not more) agony with tummy issues from all those nuts than i was with my food allergy/gluten issues. It took me awhile to figure that out, too.

Now, I am mindful of how many raw nuts I use in cooking and really limit my raw nut eating to those IN desserts (as much as possible)…I find that nothing works as well as raw cashews in raw baking and that’s where i put my priorities :)

Love this review and so glad you had a great time!!!!

26 Alyssa May 18, 2011

Averie, this is so encouraging for me to hear. I think I am just getting over making a similar mistake. I jumped with both feet into a lot of raw and vegan food for the last few months. And the last month, I have been in excruciating pain when I eat. Although I love and crave all those nutrient rich foods I have gone back to my old way of eating because I don’t hurt as much. I am hoping that I can get myself healed a little and maybe try again with a slower, more careful approach. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn’t do all the healthy foods that I love so much.

27 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 18, 2011

Yes, raw nuts, even ones that are soaked, then dehydrated (the whole enzymes being released and that school of though) doesn’t matter for me. Nuts are nuts, according to my tummy. So yes, reduce your nut consumption way back, let your gut heal a bit, and then you can ramp back up to a more moderate level if things are on track….that’s my suggestion at least but of course do what works for you. Good luck :)

28 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 18, 2011

Gorgeous photo of you!! They weren’t kidding when they that raw food will give you clear skin — beautiful!!

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

*blushing* thanks!

30 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 18, 2011

That photo of you is absolutely beautiful. Your skin is looking amazing! I’ve never been to a raw restaurant before, but you’ve definitely piqued my interest. I love the look and sound of those kale chips ~ I hope you are successful in recreating them at some point :-)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

thanks Andrea!

32 Christina May 18, 2011

All that food looks amazing! Looks like you had a great birthday dinner with the hubs :)

I’ve been wanting to try to a raw restaurant but I’m scared. I don’t particularly like all raw veggies so even though I know they’re heated to a certain degree I’m afraid it will be like I’ll be chewing on a raw carrot for dinner. Weird, I know. I think I’ll just try a spot out, living near NYC is really no excuse to not try a few out at the very least!

33 Gillian May 18, 2011

What a gorgeous photo of you, you truly are glowing! Wonderful review Ange!

34 Amy May 18, 2011

That dessert looks so good! Raw desserts are my favorite type of raw food :)
I live near Chicago and I went to a raw restaurant once and didn’t like it, like to the point where I didn’t even eat my food.. I want to try another one but they’re pretty expensive and I’m scared of wasting all that money and food again! I’ll try it again one day at a different raw place :)

35 Misty May 18, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA!!
This all looked very yummy!! I’m dying to try rawlicious since you posted, now I can’t wait to try this! Too bad I’m a northern Ontario girl who doesn’t go in the GTA very often! However if your ever in Muskoka, you must must must try the vegan deli in the Natural Food Market in bracebridge! Actually I think their “BBQ Tofu” is worth the drive up and a blog posting! It’s my fav place to go!
On a side note, I was wondering if you or any of your readers know any good veggie places in OTTAWA? My boyfriend and I are going there this weekend to celebrate our 2yr.
P.S. Made the protien bowl with lemon sauce on the weekend for my Mom and I…AMAZING!
Here’s something else for you to try.

“Hearty Bowl”

Sauce: (adjust to your taste if needed)
-1/2 cup yeast flakes
-2 garlic cloves
-1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
-2 tbp tahini
-1/3 cup water
-1 1/2 tbs olive oil
-1/3 cup apple cider vinagar

Mix together in blender and pour over a bowl of brown rice, quinoa, or other grain of choice, shredded carrots and beets, almonds, sprouts, avacado and spinach. OR whatever else your heart desires!

36 Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 18, 2011

Hi Misty,
Here are a couple veg places in Ottawa I plan on visiting next time I’m out that way:
Zen Kitchen – http://www.zenkitchen.ca/
Green Earth – http://www.greenearthvegan.com/about-ottawa.html
There is a Green Earth in Toronto and it’s very good, and relatively inexpensive.

Enjoy!

37 Misty May 18, 2011

Vanessa, Your a doll! Thanks a bunch! Will def be checking out the Zen Kitchen! Looks devine!

38 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 18, 2011

All of that food looks amazing! I’ve been intrigued by raw food lately – really need to find a restaurant to try out. I wonder if small town, corn country Iowa has one anywhere?!

Happy Birthday!

39 Krissie J May 18, 2011

All of that food looks amazing! I’ll have to scope if they have anything similar in the Philly region. :)

40 salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 18, 2011

All that food looks sooooo wonderful! Yum!!!

41 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming May 18, 2011

It looks like you had a fantastic birthday! The food looks amazing!

I love the pictures!

42 Sam May 18, 2011

Cool! I live in Ottawa but am planning to visit my cousin in Toronto this summer. Gotta check this place out, everything you guys ordered looks amazing.

43 veganlisa May 18, 2011

I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal at Raw Aura. I agree their kale chips are the best.
Let me know if you’d like the recipe – now that I’ve got you considering some time with your Excalibur.

xo

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Really? How do you have the recipe? :)

45 Shanna, Like Banana May 18, 2011

The desserts would have stole the show for me. They look light and heavenly!

46 janet May 18, 2011

OOh, I have found a new restaurant to try! I was bummed when I saw you didn’t like thinkfood in Burlington but glad this one got your nod of approval. :)

47 katie May 18, 2011

everything looks so fresh and alive, the colors just scream health! glad you had a great birthday, and the picture of you is stunning!

48 Ashley May 18, 2011

SUCH an adorable photo of you. Gorgeous!!! :) The food sounds great! I’m hoping to try a raw restaurant in Cleveland while I’m home!

49 Heather (heathers dish) May 18, 2011

Raw Aura sounds fantastic! I need to try a raw restaurant someday, the food just looks and is so fresh!

50 Emily May 18, 2011

That looks like it was a fabulous meal, and you are beautiful!

51 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 18, 2011

Glad you had a great time!!

That pizza looks amazing :)

52 Apron Appeal May 18, 2011

Oh you are a brave woman. I am a visual eater and if it doesn’t look good…I don’t even want to try it. Some of those dishes I could have managed, while a few others…I’m not so sure.

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

heh beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess eh?

54 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 18, 2011

Looks like you had a wonderful birthday dinner!! That pizza looks amazing with all its toppings!

55 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 18, 2011

Angela you look just gorgeous in that last photo!

The food looks incredible — I’d be all over that taco plate for sure!

56 Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 18, 2011

You’re seriously stunning. Just breathtaking. This restaurant looks amazing. Please recreate the dishes, so I can try them!

57 Jess May 18, 2011

Have to follow suit and agree that you are gorgeous! :D

Also, pleeease post if you recreate the kale chips–they sound so good!!

58 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com May 18, 2011

Looks fantastic! I’d love to try a raw food resto and learn to incorporate more raw foods into my meals. :)

59 barefoot and frolicking May 18, 2011

So nice you checked out Raw Aura – I have fond memories of eating there many times when they first opened in 2009. I’ve had a chance to sample the food from two of their chefs; Maeghan and Doug. Must make another trip to try out the new food and meet the new staff :) Lovely photos, and glad you had a nice experience!

60 Hannah May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday, again, Angela! That “pizza” looks absolutely delicious. I just wish they would not put “lose weight” as the first thing or even at all on the board-that’s not what raw foodism is about!! Oh well, I can only hope I guess :D

61 Carolyn May 18, 2011

I am so glad you had such a great raw experience! That salad looks amazing, and, thanks to the pictures of the sampler cake slices, I am now thinking about getting a slice of raw vegan cheezecake from the raw bar here in town. Yum! ^^
Also, I am sure you get this all the time, but you are gorgeous! You photograph so well. =)

62 Moni'sMeals May 18, 2011

Aura sounds great! Sour cream kale chips…I have been doing it all wrong!! The meals looked so good. I am always a bit skeptical on Raw restaurants as they have been disappointing in the past and very expensive but your post today has redeemed my fears! :)

YOU ARE STUNNING AND I LOVE YOUR PRETTY LIL PICTURE OF YOUR LOVELY SELF! :) oh she glows!

63 Ashley May 18, 2011

We have a fabulous hole-in-the-wall restaurant here in downtown Reno called The Pneumatic Diner. It’s so fun– the kitchen is in the center, with the seating around the edge of the room–only seats like 20 people! I love, love, love their food, and I’ve been wanting to try some of their fresh juices. I’m now thinking that when I get paid again (which should be today) we’re going to have to head on over there…. my sister has never been!
I love the feeling I have after I eat there– the food never leaves me in that slump that I get if I eat a big meal somewhere else. Love it!

64 Julie (A Case of the Runs) May 18, 2011

I have STILL never been to a raw restaurant! I hope someone takes me for my doctoral graduation in a few weeks…

65 Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 18, 2011

Wow, the food looks great! I’ve never been to a raw restaurant, but it seems like it would be a lot of fun! You look beautiful in that last picture!

66 Jen May 18, 2011

I love Raw Aura; the chef is always a delight to talk to and the Big Salad is my favourite “fast food” to get for take out. I haven’t tried the kale chips but you have instigated a craving so I may have to go get “take out” later. Thank goodness its so close.
Hope you had a fantastic birthday!

67 Melissa May 18, 2011

My boyfriend and I love Raw Aura! We live in Oakville, so it’s not too far for us. My favourite meal has been the sweet and sour zucchini noodles… You and Eric should try them next time :)

Happy Birthday!

68 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit May 18, 2011

I wish we had a raw restaurant in Calgary! The Coup is great… but something more would be nice too!
I can’t get over that you only paid $12 for that dessert plate! That same plate would go for $20 here, easily! Glad to hear your dinner was fabulous. I’m waiting for those kale chips with bated breath. I LOVE sour cream and onion chips. Please, oh pretty please, I hope you get it right on the first time (no pressure :P)

69 birdie to be May 18, 2011

Wow! This place looks amazing! I am going to make that juice & those kale chips! YUM

70 Krystina (Organically Me) May 18, 2011

Wow, you look gorgeous. Happy birthday :)

71 Maureen PLuthero May 18, 2011

This restaurant is in my neighbourhood, I have been twice and enjoyed it both times. Last time I had the beet ravioli and it is out of this world, I really need to find out how it was made.

72 Caitlin May 18, 2011

those kale chips look a-maz-ing! you MUST recreate! but, honestly, everything looks insanely delicious. i want a birthday like yours! ;)

73 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 18, 2011

That food looks incredible – I could definitely go raw if I could eat like that on a regular basis!

74 JL goes Vegan May 18, 2011

Happy birthday (again!)

Doug McNish was the head chef until recently and he shared the kale chip recipe on Blisstree:

I’ve made them and they are the bomb!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

ahhh fabulous! Thank you!

76 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 18, 2011

I’ve only been to one raw restaurant but loved it. Please recreate those kale chips so I can too:-)

77 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) May 18, 2011

So glad you had such a fabulous birthday dinner! I love Raw Aura, it has to be my favorite raw spot in the GTA, hands down :)
xo

78 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

we have to go together sometime soon!!

79 Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday! Such a great picture of you! The raw meal you had looks fabulous, I love love love trying new vegan resturaunts – we don’t have many in Wisconsin.

80 Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 18, 2011

beautiful picture! :)

81 cassandra May 18, 2011

Hi Angela,

A wonderful review! Raw food always excites me, mostly because of the amazing creativity involved in preparing that type of cuisine. On top of the awesome TO raw restaurants, there are also a handful of farmers’ markets in Toronto that have prepared raw food vendors (ourselves included!). It would be wonderful to connnect with you at one of the Toronto markets! Your photographs are always so stunning, and your recipes so yummy. Thank you for continuing to be a bright enthusiastic inspiration in all that you do!

82 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 18, 2011

That looks like the perfect birthday dinner! We have a raw vegan cafe in town that just started, so they are still working up their menu base, but that pizza looks delicious!

83 Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday, girl!!! All the food looks wonderful :)

84 Nikita May 18, 2011

Everything looks delicious and you look beautiful! I have only been to a raw restaurant once (Blossoming Lotus in Portland) but it was great!

85 kris (everyday oats) May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday! The food looks delicious! I’ve only tried a raw place once and it was amazing how much it filled me up. For some reason I thought that I wouldn’t get full off all the raw foods (majority veggies) but it was plenty filling, delicious, and healthy.

86 Andrea May 18, 2011

Would love to see you expand your raw recipe collections. I find raw eating so interesting. I can’t wait to start eating more this way. I am tired of calories, scales, bad advice I want to live and eat food that sustains me.

87 staceyhealthylife May 18, 2011

Everything sounds so tasty and interesting.

88 Rhona May 18, 2011

Um, looks like a great dinner, Angela! I am actually shocked that there is a Raw restaurant right here in Mississauga. That is the city I work in (but I play in Toronto) so I am pleased about this. I have to admit that although I am vegan, I am sort of afraif of raw food. No idea whythough.Thanks for the details. The only thing I don’t think I would like are the cakes. I am so not a fan of anything moussy. I have to think to swallow it–too marshmellowy?!

89 Brittany @B Out There May 18, 2011

I’m going to be waiting attentively for your version of sour cream and onion Kale Chips. VERY attentively.

90 Tessa @ Amazing Asset May 18, 2011

I am so so glad you had such a wonderful birthday :) You are beautiful and truly deserve it! Thank you for the review!

91 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 18, 2011

That pizza just looks absolutely amazing. Looks like a great dinner! Can’t wait for you to try your hand at those kale chips. I’ll be waiting :)

92 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats May 18, 2011

You look simply gorgeous! Happy Birthday!

Those kale chips sound divine. Please do try to recreate them! I’ve noticed that most restaurants dehydrate them instead of baking them and I’d love to see how that’s done.

P.s. I just started my own blog and was wondering if it’s alright with you if I add you to my blogroll?

Thanks!

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Of course, thanks Robyn!

94 Emily @ Savory and Savage May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday. That looked like a wonderful B-day dinner!

95 Alaina May 18, 2011

What a delicious birthday meal. :-)

I’ve never been to a full, raw restaurant. I’ll have to scour Boston for one.

96 Katherine May 18, 2011

Want to take me next time?

97 Mama Pea May 18, 2011

Hellooooo gorgeous! Happy Birthday again, sweetie.

98 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 18, 2011

Well done on taking one for the team..and getting the desserts. So yummy

99 Beth May 18, 2011

Wow all that food looks amazing, especially your salad. It sounds like you had a great birthday celebration over the past few days.

100 Kristen Waby May 18, 2011

I went to a raw vegan restaurant in Minneapolis and it was the best food I have ever had! There is definitely something to say about the raw movement if you can have goodies like that. Your meal looked amazing. You have fantastic skin I must say! Happy Birthday!

101 Lisa May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday! You are gorgeous!!!

102 Samantha May 18, 2011

Oh my goodness it sadends me so much to see that I literally worked 12 minutes away from this restaurant for four months and didn’t even think of looking up vegan/raw restaurants! … instead I brought a lunch everyday (which didn’t disappoint) but those kale chips look seriously addicting. Hope you had a great birthday!

– Samantha

103 Olya May 18, 2011

You look happy! And the meals look delicious!

104 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 18, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

And all of that food looks so amazing! Especially those nachos and desserts :) I’ve never seen a raw food restaurant around me.

105 Audrey May 18, 2011

That strawberry cheesecake is calling my name! ;)

You look so beautiful and glowing in that last photo. Definitely a very young 28. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

106 Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 18, 2011

what a lovely birthday dinner!~

107 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 18, 2011

Everything looks wonderful! Eating at a raw vegan restaurant is on my summer bucket list. I hope my experience is as good as yours! Those kale chips sound so good!!

108 kaila @ healthy helper! May 18, 2011

WOW what an amazing dining experience!!!! I have had raw pizza before and it is awesome! I would love to recreate it but sadly I don’t have a dehydrator! Anyways, everything about that meal sounds perfect….especially those kale chips! What a great flavor idea!!!

109 Jacqui May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday gorgeous Angela! I love your blog so much and have made many of the things you have on here. My favourite place to eat in Melbourne Australia where I live is called Yong Green Food. It is run by the most lovely Asian ladies who prepare raw and organic vegan food with such love and care you can taste it in the delicious food! http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1505854/restaurant/Victoria/Yong-Green-Food-Fitzroy

110 Callie May 18, 2011

Sounds amazing! I’d love to try raw pizza sometime.
Happy Birthday! You look GORGEOUS in that last photo. :)

111 Erin May 18, 2011

Gorgeous picture of you! All the food looks fantastic here, especially those nachos.

112 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 18, 2011

That looks like an amazing birthday dinner! I’ve been dying to check out a raw food restaurant, but I don’t think there’s any way I could eat at one because of my nut allergies. :P I guess I’ll just have to find some recipes on blogs like yours and try to make my own raw meal!

113 Robin May 18, 2011

What a great dinner! Happy Birthday – that photo of you at the end is beautiful!

114 Sebrina May 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Angela!!! Here is the recipe for the raw aura kale chips :) http://blisstree.com/eat/original-sour-cream-and-onion-kale-chips-recipe-from-vegan-chef-douglas-mcnish/ I use my dehydrator almost exclusively for kale chips, lol

115 Kr May 18, 2011

Happy B-day (belated of course)

I was wondering if you could post some more information on live bread (what is it, have you ever tried to make it) etc. I love making bread and would like to hear more!

Oh – double question post but what are your thoughts on hot yoga for a very very beginner to yoga? Too much to start with or go for it?

Thank you!!!

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

I have not tried to make live bread, but that sounds interesting! I’ll be doing a post on yoga tomorrow AM…check it out :)

117 megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 18, 2011

This post had me drooling! The nachos sound SO good. What a wonderful birthday dinner!! So glad you both enjoyed!

118 Kathy May 18, 2011

You’re so pretty :) lol

119 Steph May 18, 2011

Hi Angela,

First off, happy birthday! I just started reading your blog and I love it so. It has really inspired me to revisit my vegetarian ways and start doing what I know my body needs. Thank you so much for that.

Secondly, I just had a green monster for lunch today. AMAZING. I can’t wait to have another one tomorrow. I already feel my skin radiating. Thanks so much for all your positivity and most importantly… doing what feels right!

Thanks again
Steph

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Thats great Steph!

121 Laura May 18, 2011

You look so healthy and happy! :) (If you don’t mind my asking, what kind of makeup do you use?)

122 Margaret May 18, 2011

Those Kale chips are AMAZING. My husband found them at the heath food store in his mall. I finish at least 2 bags a week. Expensive, but worth every penny.

123 Meg May 18, 2011

I had the opposite experience of you. I loved Live, and really did NOT like Rawlicious..

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

I think I would have liked Live better if I had selected something warm! id def. try it again :)

125 Meg May 19, 2011

I had the sunshine wrap from live, and it was delicious. and something else.. i cant remember.. the desserts at rawlicious blew my mind though..

oh and how rude of me, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

126 Katherine May 18, 2011

I LOVED this place. I live out west, but went there with my mom when I was visiting her in Port Credit! So wonderful. I was absolutely impressed with the restaurant. Glad you enjoyed it too!

127 Babs May 18, 2011

The picture of you is stunning! I wish I was there to share the desserts–they look delish. Glad you had a great bday dinner. I’m going to a Burmese place for dinner. I’ve bad Burmese once before and fell in love. The place I went had an incredible fermented tea leaf salad made in front of you . . . crossing my fingers that this place has one too!

128 kari May 18, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA! YOU LOOK SO BEAUTIFUL IN THE PICTURE!

129 melissa May 18, 2011

Those kale chips sounds amazing…. can’t wait for your recreation!

Happy birthday!!!!

130 McKayla (green groats) May 18, 2011

hAPpY BiRtHdAy!! Looks like a wonderful place to enjoy a b-day meal :)

131 Sierra May 18, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE recreate EVERYTHING you ate at the restaurant! It looks SOOOOO delicious and I want to try everything and you are such a genius in the kitchen, I just KNOW you can do it! :D

132 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 18, 2011

you are so beautiful! The food looked beautiful, too. I’ve never intentionally tried raw food, but it looked so delicious and creative! great for the summertime, too ;)

133 Hannah May 19, 2011

I agree, you’re utterly glowing with happiness :) So inspiring to see!

134 Emma May 19, 2011

Happy Belated!
Question for you- What do you order at a non-vegan restaurant? I’m looking for safe options for when we need to go somewhere with a group!

Thanks!

135 Jayme @ Runner-n-Spice May 19, 2011

Happy Birthday!!! I live in Ottawa now, but am originally from Stoney Creek!! I would definitely check that place out the next time im in Southern Ontario!

Love your blog!

136 Christine @ Burning It Off May 19, 2011

Thanks for the review. Some of my girlfriends went here awhile ago and loved it. I’ve been trying to talk my boyfriend into going here ever since but he’s put off by the whole raw food thing… I’ll have to show him all of the yummy stuff in your post, maybe he’ll reconsider.

137 Tiff @ love sweat and beers May 19, 2011

I’m glad you all enjoyed the restaurant and got to try so many wonderful things. That’s too bad about the beer. Bummer! I bet the awesome nachos made up for it!

138 LizAshlee May 19, 2011

Yay for a Happy Birthday girl! :) The restaurant sounds great and food looks delicious. Happy to hear you enjoyed a wonderful time out for your special day!

139 Char May 19, 2011

I need to venture out and try some local raw food places. You look absolutely stunning! What a great end to a post :)

140 Jackie May 19, 2011

What a perfect bday dinner…and a gorgeous photo too! I found a Raw restaurant on my last trip to LA: Sun Power Cafe (Studio City). AMAZING!!! They had a lot of the same foods you ate last night. I look forward to you figuring out some of these recipes and sharing them on your blog! How do they do “Raw” tortilla chips and Kale chips without “cooking” them. Or is the rule of Raw that it can be cooked, but at a lower temperature. Please let me know if you know. Happy Belated birthday!

141 bitt of raw May 21, 2011

A small Big salad. :-) Love it.

Aren’t dehydrated kale chips way better than cooked ones? You must get a dehydrator just for these! The more you get into raw food the better for me because I eat a lot of it. And I know your recipes will be awesome. I’m so selfish, sorry.

142 Jes (@Self Motivation) May 22, 2011

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

143 Suzanne P June 14, 2012

Oh my goodness! That last picture is gorgeous Angela! I wish my smile could light up the computer screen like that!

144 Brittany Trumble March 22, 2016

It’s a shame you’re sensitive to nuts, their Almond Bar is the best dessert I’ve ever tasted! – SOOOO GOOD. I love Raw Aura :) So glad you liked it, next time try their Coconut Curry Zoodles! YUMM