Raw Aura

IMG 5836 thumb   Raw Aura IMG 5834 thumb   Raw Aura

Last night, Eric took me to a raw & vegan restaurant in Mississauga called Raw Aura. I’ve been wanting to check this place out for a while now, so it seemed like a good time! I was slightly worried going to a raw restaurant, after my Birthday experience at Live 2 years ago, but I’ve also had a great raw food experience at Rawlicious, so I figured it was worth a shot!

From the website: ‘The goal of Aura is to provide familiar food that everyone knows and loves, in the most delicious, nutritious, and environmentally – friendly way. By using 100% raw ingredients, this means nothing is heated above 43C / 105F. These living foods are simple to digest, leaving the body light and energized since this simple form requires no extra energy from the body. Flavours are pure, fresh and intense, honouring the divine banquet provided by the earth.All of our ingredients are organic and harvested sustainably, this means you are not only doing yourself a favour, but you are creating fertile space to grow for generations to come.’

IMG 5827   Raw Aura

The restaurant is café style, and it is basically a cozy & intimate hole in the wall which is common of many vegan restaurants that I have been to. They prepare a lot of the food right in the dining room.

There is seating for about 16 people, so you can see how small the room is.

IMG 5833   Raw Aura

We started with drinks and appetizers. I had ‘The Green Juice’ which was made up of Kale, celery, cucumber, romaine lettuce, parsley, lemon and ginger. My cuppa tea juice! Eric had the Old Credit Amber Ale which was their only beer and he said it was horrible (he is not an ale fan, but if you were you might enjoy it!). Their menu boasted organic beer & wine, so maybe they were running low on beer?

IMG 5840   Raw Aura IMG 5839   Raw Aura

IMG 5835   Raw Aura

For appetizers, we ordered the Kale Chips which were seasoned with a delicious sour cream cashew, red onion, and chive sauce and dehydrated until crispy.

IMG 5844   Raw Aura

They were THE BEST kale chips I have ever tasted! Eric and I both agreed that they tasted just like Sour Cream & Onion chips. We could not detect the kale at all and we polished off the bowl fast. I have to try and recreate these!

We also ordered the Nacho Platter which was made up of crispy corn chips, guacamole, cashew sour cream, fresh tomato salsa and walnut taco meat.

They were also amazing! We polished off the entire plate. :)

IMG 5851   Raw Aura

I put a little bit of each topping onto each chip and it was a party in my mouth. The raw nacho chips were also fantastic…I prefer them to corn chips actually.

IMG 5849   Raw Aura

After our appetizers, we lingered over our drinks while our stomachs settled for about 10-15 minutes before our main entrees came out.

I ordered a ‘small’ Big Salad which was a huge mix of kale and romaine lettuce topped with avocado, cucumber, tomato, mixed seeds, red pepper, onions, sprouted chickpea hummus, and a live breadstick. I had it with the Herb Citrus dressing.

IMG 5858   Raw Aura

It was perfect. Creamy, tangy, flavourful, and extremely filling. I loved the ‘breadstick’ too, it was like a thicker and more flavourful Mary’s Cracker.

Eric and I both ordered the Pizza, which came highly recommended by everyone I talked to. I figured we couldn’t go wrong with pizza!

IMG 5856   Raw Aura

The pizza was on a delicious red pepper and sunflower seed flax crust and was topped with a cashew tomato cheese, kale, zucchini, ‘parmesan cheese’, red pepper, and more.

IMG 5855   Raw Aura

We loved it. It is VERY filling though, thanks to the dense crust and cashew cheese, so we wrapped up some of it to go. The only minor critique I have of this pizza is that it needed to be served warm. Supposedly it was served warm according to the menu, but we both found it cold, or at minimum room temperature. I will definitely be heating up my leftovers today!

By this point, we were stuffed, but we wanted a little something sweet to end the meal. They offer a sampler dessert plate for $12 and you get to sample 4 desserts. They know the way to a girl’s heart.

IMG 5864   Raw Aura

On our sampler plate: Mint Chocolate Ganache Cake, Chocolate Banana Cake, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Brownies.

IMG 5863   Raw Aura

All of the cakes were mousse-like in texture with a nut-based crust. I’m not a huge fan of raw cashew-based mousse cakes, but they were pretty good. My favourite was the Mint Chocolate Ganache Cake (the raw ganache was incredible) and Eric couldn’t decide which one he liked the best. Our least favourite was the Chocolate Banana Cake because we are both not big fans of straight up mousse. The brownies were very rich and just a couple small bites was enough.

IMG 5862 thumb   Raw Aura

All in all, it was a great meal at Raw Aura! My favourite Raw restaurant in the GTA is still Rawlicious, but only because the atmosphere at Rawlicious just can’t be beat (see here for my full review and pictures!). If Raw Aura had the same atmosphere, I would say they are both on par. I think the portion sizes at Raw Aura are larger and you get a bit more value for your dollar. We ordered a lot of food and were surprised at how low the bill was!

I was also happy not to have stomach pains like I did at Live a couple years ago. My stomach is very sensitive to nuts, but it seemed to be just the right amount in my meal last night. I tried to select dishes that were not completely nut-based so I think this helped a lot.

IMG 58281   Raw Aura

I left a Happy Birthday Girl. :)

kell May 18, 2011

happy . . . and absolutely glowing :) happy birthday!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Ellie@fitforthesoul May 18, 2011

haha I was going to say the same exact thing!! Must be all the green monsters for sure ;)

Peggy @ freshnutrition.net May 18, 2011

I am in desperate need of a raw, vegan restaurant in my small Ontario city, this might be worth the drive to Mississauga, of course, I will need to stop at Fresh on Queen St on the way. Yummy review, Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

you should also check out Rawlicious if you are in Toronto….awesome!

Baking 'n' Books May 18, 2011

Are you close proximity to those areas? I need to move! LOL. Interesting – I wondered about Raw food though – I love nuts, oils etc. But it seems to be the focus of most of their dishes and it seems that combined with other stuff can definitely be hard on the stomach. I don’t know how people do it! – give me a flour pizza crust any day…warm :)

jamie @ jamelafamela May 18, 2011

That place looks great…and Happy Birthday!!

Pam May 18, 2011

The entire meal sounds wonderful!! And the photo of you is beautifull!! You really do GLOW!!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 18, 2011

I was thinking the same exact thing! Such a great photo.

Ricki May 18, 2011

So glad to hear that Raw Aura is still good even though their main chef has moved on! My hubby and I went there once (it’s a trek for us) but were also very impressed. Your meal looks fabulous–and so do you! Birthdays agree wtih you! :D

kate May 18, 2011

You look beautiful I am so glad you enjoyed your birthday dinner I would love to find a raw cafe around here to try.

Ali May 18, 2011

You look SO happy! Happy birthday!!! Great to hear your party and the dinner were filled with love and happiness!

Julie @ Shining From Within May 18, 2011

woop woop! sounds like you had a great meal. there’s nothing better than leaving dinner and feeling refreshed and not bogged down. I want to eat all that food NOW!

cathy May 18, 2011

what a wonderful evening out! your photo is dazzling!
thanks for the review, angela. everything looks fabulous!
maybe a spot for a southern ontario blogger meet-up?!

Annie@stronghealthyfit May 18, 2011

Looks like a fabulous birthday meal! Happy Birthday :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 18, 2011

Ange you look GORGEOUS in the last photo!! Sounds like a delicious meal (minus the beer of course) and I can’t wait to go. I haven’t done much experimentation with raw food but I feel like it’s something I’d want to try. Thanks for the great review!

Sara May 18, 2011

Angela, my father-in-law (whose birthday was yesterday as well) lives right in Mississauga and we’ve been meaning to go to Raw Aura for ages! It’s so weird to see it on your blog too!

Happy Belated Birthday and I hope you had a fabulous time.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 18, 2011

You have such a beautiful glow. :)

So lucky to have all of these raw choices! I wish Atlanta would get in on this trend. Unfortunately, we are in the middle of a hamburger explosion in my city. *sigh*

Lenna May 18, 2011

The place looks really great, but you look totally divine! That is the kind of glow everyone would like to have:)

Jill H May 18, 2011

Wow, the food looked delicious. I am quite nervous about trying a raw restaurant but it looks like they found their niche pretty well. What a great picture of you, too! :)

Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 18, 2011

I was so excited to see you chose Raw Aura for your b-day dinner!
When you said the place you wanted to go was closed on Monday I thought of it only because I live about 5 mins from it in Port Credit and crave it when they aren’t open!! They have a new(ish) chef and I haven’t been in since but have plans to go with a girlfriend next week. I usually opt for one of their ‘pasta’ dishes (zucchini noodles) as they make a mean cashew cream sauce. Their smoothies and kale chips ARE amazing and dessert is always a tough decision.
Glad you liked it, and it didn’t hurt your tummy.
I have been to Rawlicious once (the new one in Yorkville) and was equally impressed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Port Credit is just gorgeous! We had such a beautiful drive up :)

Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 18, 2011

it is, too bad the weather was blah. come back in the summer for a nice afternoon/evening!

VEGirl May 18, 2011

You ARE glowing! (must be all the raw food). I love how raw food always has lots of kale– something I could probably do with a bit more of in my life :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 18, 2011

Angela, your meal and experience sounds great and I love the last pic of you…you’re glowing. As your blog title would suggest :)

“My stomach is very sensitive to nuts, but it seemed to be just the right amount in my meal last night. I tried to select dishes that were not completely nut-based so I think this helped a lot.”-
ME TOO!
When I moved from vegetarian to a GF vegan (pretty much overnight) due to food allergies, I made the mistake of tons of raw nut pates, raw desserts w/ cashews, nuts in my smoothies and i was in just as much (if not more) agony with tummy issues from all those nuts than i was with my food allergy/gluten issues. It took me awhile to figure that out, too.

Now, I am mindful of how many raw nuts I use in cooking and really limit my raw nut eating to those IN desserts (as much as possible)…I find that nothing works as well as raw cashews in raw baking and that’s where i put my priorities :)

Love this review and so glad you had a great time!!!!

Alyssa May 18, 2011

Averie, this is so encouraging for me to hear. I think I am just getting over making a similar mistake. I jumped with both feet into a lot of raw and vegan food for the last few months. And the last month, I have been in excruciating pain when I eat. Although I love and crave all those nutrient rich foods I have gone back to my old way of eating because I don’t hurt as much. I am hoping that I can get myself healed a little and maybe try again with a slower, more careful approach. I was beginning to think that I was the only one who couldn’t do all the healthy foods that I love so much.

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 18, 2011

Yes, raw nuts, even ones that are soaked, then dehydrated (the whole enzymes being released and that school of though) doesn’t matter for me. Nuts are nuts, according to my tummy. So yes, reduce your nut consumption way back, let your gut heal a bit, and then you can ramp back up to a more moderate level if things are on track….that’s my suggestion at least but of course do what works for you. Good luck :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] May 18, 2011

Gorgeous photo of you!! They weren’t kidding when they that raw food will give you clear skin — beautiful!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

*blushing* thanks!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious May 18, 2011

That photo of you is absolutely beautiful. Your skin is looking amazing! I’ve never been to a raw restaurant before, but you’ve definitely piqued my interest. I love the look and sound of those kale chips ~ I hope you are successful in recreating them at some point :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

thanks Andrea!

Christina May 18, 2011

All that food looks amazing! Looks like you had a great birthday dinner with the hubs :)

I’ve been wanting to try to a raw restaurant but I’m scared. I don’t particularly like all raw veggies so even though I know they’re heated to a certain degree I’m afraid it will be like I’ll be chewing on a raw carrot for dinner. Weird, I know. I think I’ll just try a spot out, living near NYC is really no excuse to not try a few out at the very least!

Gillian May 18, 2011

What a gorgeous photo of you, you truly are glowing! Wonderful review Ange!

Amy May 18, 2011

That dessert looks so good! Raw desserts are my favorite type of raw food :)
I live near Chicago and I went to a raw restaurant once and didn’t like it, like to the point where I didn’t even eat my food.. I want to try another one but they’re pretty expensive and I’m scared of wasting all that money and food again! I’ll try it again one day at a different raw place :)

Misty May 18, 2011

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANGELA!!
This all looked very yummy!! I’m dying to try rawlicious since you posted, now I can’t wait to try this! Too bad I’m a northern Ontario girl who doesn’t go in the GTA very often! However if your ever in Muskoka, you must must must try the vegan deli in the Natural Food Market in bracebridge! Actually I think their “BBQ Tofu” is worth the drive up and a blog posting! It’s my fav place to go!
On a side note, I was wondering if you or any of your readers know any good veggie places in OTTAWA? My boyfriend and I are going there this weekend to celebrate our 2yr.
P.S. Made the protien bowl with lemon sauce on the weekend for my Mom and I…AMAZING!
Here’s something else for you to try.

“Hearty Bowl”

Sauce: (adjust to your taste if needed)
-1/2 cup yeast flakes
-2 garlic cloves
-1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
-2 tbp tahini
-1/3 cup water
-1 1/2 tbs olive oil
-1/3 cup apple cider vinagar

Mix together in blender and pour over a bowl of brown rice, quinoa, or other grain of choice, shredded carrots and beets, almonds, sprouts, avacado and spinach. OR whatever else your heart desires!

Vanessa @ Loving the Sweet LIfe May 18, 2011

Hi Misty,
Here are a couple veg places in Ottawa I plan on visiting next time I’m out that way:
Zen Kitchen – http://www.zenkitchen.ca/
Green Earth – http://www.greenearthvegan.com/about-ottawa.html
There is a Green Earth in Toronto and it’s very good, and relatively inexpensive.

Enjoy!

Misty May 18, 2011

Vanessa, Your a doll! Thanks a bunch! Will def be checking out the Zen Kitchen! Looks devine!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 18, 2011

All of that food looks amazing! I’ve been intrigued by raw food lately – really need to find a restaurant to try out. I wonder if small town, corn country Iowa has one anywhere?!

Happy Birthday!

Krissie J May 18, 2011

All of that food looks amazing! I’ll have to scope if they have anything similar in the Philly region. :)

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle May 18, 2011

All that food looks sooooo wonderful! Yum!!!

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming May 18, 2011

It looks like you had a fantastic birthday! The food looks amazing!

I love the pictures!

Sam May 18, 2011

Cool! I live in Ottawa but am planning to visit my cousin in Toronto this summer. Gotta check this place out, everything you guys ordered looks amazing.

veganlisa May 18, 2011

I’m so glad you enjoyed your meal at Raw Aura. I agree their kale chips are the best.
Let me know if you’d like the recipe – now that I’ve got you considering some time with your Excalibur.

xo

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

Really? How do you have the recipe? :)

Shanna, Like Banana May 18, 2011

The desserts would have stole the show for me. They look light and heavenly!

janet May 18, 2011

OOh, I have found a new restaurant to try! I was bummed when I saw you didn’t like thinkfood in Burlington but glad this one got your nod of approval. :)

katie May 18, 2011

everything looks so fresh and alive, the colors just scream health! glad you had a great birthday, and the picture of you is stunning!

Ashley May 18, 2011

SUCH an adorable photo of you. Gorgeous!!! :) The food sounds great! I’m hoping to try a raw restaurant in Cleveland while I’m home!

Heather (heathers dish) May 18, 2011

Raw Aura sounds fantastic! I need to try a raw restaurant someday, the food just looks and is so fresh!

Emily May 18, 2011

That looks like it was a fabulous meal, and you are beautiful!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 18, 2011

Glad you had a great time!!

That pizza looks amazing :)

Apron Appeal May 18, 2011

Oh you are a brave woman. I am a visual eater and if it doesn’t look good…I don’t even want to try it. Some of those dishes I could have managed, while a few others…I’m not so sure.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2011

heh beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess eh?

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 18, 2011

Looks like you had a wonderful birthday dinner!! That pizza looks amazing with all its toppings!

Holly @ The Runny Egg May 18, 2011

Angela you look just gorgeous in that last photo!

The food looks incredible — I’d be all over that taco plate for sure!

Page 1 of 41234»