Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

IMG 5704   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

This week, the first sign of flowers and leaves put me into full Spring mode. My meals have been fresher than ever and I’m feeling on fire energy wise.

It’s about time!

IMG 0369 2   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

The hot yoga sessions are also helping tremendously. (Thank you, by the way, for your great comments yesterday.) I’ve been to 4 hot yoga sessions now and you could pretty much say that I’m addicted. But, more on that later.

IMG 0362 2   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

[We need to mow the lawn and weed the garden! eek…it begins]

Yesterday, I was craving an old favourite- the Protein Power Goddess Bowl that I adapted from The Coup Cookbook. I’ve been smitten with this salad since I made it last year and the tahini-Lemon dressing is just to die for!

IMG 5688   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

My mission yesterday was simple: To lighten up this salad for Spring.

I wouldn’t call this salad heavy per say, but I was never crazy about the 1/2 cup of olive oil that the original recipe calls for. I knew with a bit of work, I could create a lighter Tahini dressing that would taste just as tempting as the original.

IMG 5703   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

print this recipe!

Adapted from Protein Power Goddess Bowl, which was adapted from The Coup Cookbook.

Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients:

• 1 cup uncooked green lentils (yield 2 & 3/4 cups cooked)
  • 1 cup uncooked speltberries (yield 2 cups cooked) OR grain of choice, like brown rice for GF option
  • 1/2 tbsp olive oil, for sautéing
  • 1/2 red onion (~1 & 1/3 cups), chopped
  • 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 large tomato, chopped
  • 3 cups spinach or kale, roughly chopped (I used Lacinato kale)
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
  • 1 batch of Lightened Up Tahini-Lemon Dressing (recipe below)
  • Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
  • Lemon Wedges & lemon zest, to garnish

Directions:

1. Cook lentils and speltberries (or grain of choice) according to package directions. I did this the night before to save time. Drain and set aside.

2. Prepare the Lightened Up tahini-Lemon dressing in food processor (see below for recipe).

3. In a large skillet over low-medium heat, add your olive oil and sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic for a few minutes, being careful not to burn. Now add in the chopped red pepper and tomato and sauté for another 7-8 minutes.

4. Stir in the chopped kale or spinach and sauté for another few minutes, just until tender. Stir in the full batch of tahini-Lemon dressing, the cooked & drained grains and lentils, and simmer on low for another few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the minced parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with lemon wedges and zest. Makes 6 cups.

IMG 5005   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Lightening up the Tahini-Lemon dressing was a huge success! I cut down the oil by 75% and the dressing still tasted wonderful.

Here are the changes I made to the lightened up version:

• I added another garlic clove (to make 3) (to add more flava!)
  • I added 2-3 more tbsp water (to thin it out more)

I was worried the taste would be compromised but it was just as addicting like I remembered. Even if you don’t want to make this lentil salad, you could always make the dressing and use it for salads all week long. It is truly one of my most loved homemade dressings to date.

IMG 5024 2   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Once you cook your desired grains and make the dressing, you simply sauté some vegetables of your choice until tender.

IMG 5669   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Yesterday, I added Lacinato Kale instead of spinach and I loved it! It’s less bitter than regular kale.

IMG 5679   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl IMG 5680   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Mix in your grains and dressing.

IMG 5682   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl IMG 56881   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

When it’s all cooked, remove from heat and stir in the minced Parsley for another kick of fresh flavour.

IMG 5684   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Taste test… Uncontrollably!

IMG 5690   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Serve with a lemon wedge and zest and you have yourself a protein and fibre packed dinner! It’s creamy & comforting, with a tangy kick that is just irresistible.

This will definitely be my go-to version of this salad from now on. We didn’t miss the 6 tablespoons of oil at all.

IMG 5706   Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl

Have a good one!

Christina @ The Athletarian May 13, 2011

YUM! I have made your original one before and it was delicious! This one looks great too. Will definitely be giving it a try :D

Emma May 13, 2011

Ooh I needed an excuse to buy a new jar of tahini. I’ll be putting this on my meal plan for this week :) Sounds delicious.

Melissa May 13, 2011

I loved the original so I will have to try this one too!

shere May 13, 2011

Do you use roasted tahini or raw in the salad dressing? It really looks and sounds so good!

Emily May 13, 2011

This looks delish! The tahini in our cupboard usually just hangs out in there until someone decides to make hummus (which is rare), this is definitely a great way to start using it more often!

Kristen May 13, 2011

i made this tonight and it was delicious! a great warm-weather recipe- filling but still light! in case anyone has trouble finding spelt berries or lacinato kale nearby, i used wheat berries and regular kale and it worked great.

Megan@eatmybeets May 14, 2011

Wow that looks really delicious! It’s on my to-cook list. I’ve never acutally cooked with spelt before.

Sam @ the neurotic yogini May 14, 2011

That looks tasty! I keep seeing your recipes on BlissTree.com. Makes me smile everytime! :)

Kirsten (Miss Dropsie) May 15, 2011

Angela- you ROCK. I am currently peeling myself down from the ceiling just enough to write this. It’s still warm in the skillet and I want to EAT THE ENTIRE THING. OMG. That was worth every second of effort. YUMMYYYYY.
K

Kirsten (Miss Dropsie) May 15, 2011

Oh, I should say that I made very minimal changes.
1) used coconut oil instead of olive
2) used mixed brown/wild rice (gluten free)
3) simmered the tomato/pepper/kale for very minimal time to maintain the crunch.

Wow. My three year old just ate two bowls.

Julie May 15, 2011

YUM!!!! I made this on Friday night and had it for dinner, then lunch on Saturday, then dinner again on Saturday. Totally addictive! Then made another batch of dressing to have on a salad today. Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!

Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) May 15, 2011

I just made the dressing – wow it’s SO good!

Ashley - Freshly Vegetarian May 15, 2011

Consider this filed in my favorites! I wanted a light, but hearty dinner tonight, so I whipped this up and WOW. My family raved about this being one of their favorites and I cannot wait to make it again! I snapped a few photos so I can re-publish this tasty little (maybe little isn’t the right word!) dish on my blog in the next day or two. In case anyone wonders, I used short grain brown rice instead of the berries and added a significant amount of minced ginger (1″ piece) in with the garlic and onion and it was tasty, although I couldn’t taste the ginger in the final product.

This would be a great meal to whip up for brown bag lunches. Angela, another delicious recipe — thank you!

jody May 16, 2011

Thank you so much for this recipe. It will be my lunches for most of the week and is very tasty at room temperature. I used wheat berries, frozen spinach, and canned lentils and it is great.

Megan May 16, 2011

Just made this (with some changes because of tomato allergies and lack of nut. yeast) here in NW China and I loved it! I love following your blog and trying out your recipes. I am not a vegan but have been trying to avoid meat where I live lately because of the quality so I am so thankful for delicious alternatives! Thanks for your fun stories, recipes and pictures!

Kelan May 20, 2011

Made this last night and thought it was delicious. I’ve finally purchased a mini-food processor so now I can make your recipes!

But I still have a lot left and I’m headed out of town. Do you think it will freeze well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 20, 2011

mm not sure if it will freeze well as Ive never tried it. Maybe bring it along with you if you can? :)

Cait May 22, 2011

I just made the lemon tahini sauce- so good! Thanks for the recipe! It’s really dressing up my steamed kale and tempeh :)

Helen @ healing through positivity May 24, 2011

I made this last night, was ah-maz-ing!!!

I used brown rice as spelt and wheat berries are difficult to come across in this country…but it tasted good and I LOVE brown rice!!!

Thank you for introducing this to us!!!

Ashley May 24, 2011

This sounds great, can’t wait to make it. I’ve never heard of nutritional yeast though, can you just buy it at the grocery store? Is it with the baking yeast?

amanda May 24, 2011

Just made this, only change was I added some sun dried tomatoes. It is yummy!

Mary May 25, 2011

Enjoying this recipe as I type! I made it with white quinoa and it is delicious! I usually enjoy these dishes with ripe oil cured black olives as well (2-3 olives only).

Angela, I have been following your blog for awhile. I became vegan last summer (end of June) and I have to say your blog/recipes has been so helpful. My husband now eats the vegan dishes I make!!

I have two questions for you:
1. Do you have any NEW recipes that use red kidney beans?
2. Is your bakery located downtown Toronto? Where are you located?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 26, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

I have this recipe for kidney beans: http://ohsheglows.com/2011/04/04/energizing-protein-power-salad/
My bakery is strictly online, no storefront :)

Jennifer @ Oh Sweet Day! May 26, 2011

I LOVE everything about this bowl- name too :) it’s starting to warm up here in the Maritimes and lighter meals are more than welcomed :)

April May 31, 2011

Just made this for supper, and it is AMAZING! I will definitely be making it again!

Ellen May 31, 2011

I adapted this into a cold salad by keeping all the veggies raw (the lentils and, in my case, brown rice wilted the kale) and chilled it in the fridge. It was amazing! I can’t wait to use the leftovers as salad toppers later this week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2011

Great idea!

Laura May 31, 2011

Great thing about this is that you can use whatever you’ve got in the fridge. I made this with the quinoa I had made a few days ago, some kale, tomatoes, peppers, onions, garlic and steamed asparagus. The light sauce was delish and very flavorful. No extra oil required at all! Easy and satisfyingly healthy meal with leftovers (including extra dressing)! Thanks, Angela!

Anna June 4, 2011

Where did you buy wheat berries I can’t find them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

I believe I bought them from Bulk Barn (A bulk food store here in canada)

Michele June 6, 2011

angela… this salad is ah-mazing!! I just made it and can’t stop sending pictures of it to my vegan/healthy friends. The true taste tester (mother in law) will be here for dinner tonight, but I am certain she will LOVE this power packed salad! Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2011

yay! Glad to hear that :)

Sara June 7, 2011

I just tried this for the first time and it was AMAZING!! Definitely filling and satisfying! I’m so glad I found your site. I enjoy looking at all of your recipes and am going to try your double chocolate chilled torte next week on our family vacation. I’m the only vegan in the group so we’ll see if I can fool them :). Thanks for all you do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

So glad to hear you enjoyed it and that you are making the torte! woot…im obsessed. So sad the one I made last week is gone! haha

Emily April 14, 2012

Gah! I wish I could find tahini paste here! Honestly, I think this would be the only recipe that I use it for (I dislike hummus).

Would you recommend any other dressings?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012

what about a balsamic and vinegar dressing? There is a good one in my back on track salad. I will put my thinking cap on for you.

Nicole April 14, 2012

I just made this dressing…it’s so good, I’d like to bathe in it! Can’t wait to put the whole salad together tomorrow!

ashley April 15, 2012

i know i’m a tad late, but this is probably one of the best dishes i’ve ever eaten! it fulfills my needs for freshness and garlicky goodness. so super grateful you shared this recipe!

Becky April 16, 2012

I made this last night for myself for dinner while everyone else was eating fried chicken and potato salad. It was delicious and all of the non-vegans were very surprised how tastey and filling it is! This will be a staple for me for sure!

Karen Cooley April 18, 2012

Oh MY. I just made this for dinner tonight and YUM! I used wheat berries instead of speltberries. Didn’t have nutritional yeast, but I’ll be picking that up, as that dressing is SO good!! And you know, this should come with a statement: “WARNING. The salad you are about to eat is very filling. Eat seconds at your own risk – stomach may become uncomfortably full from lots of deliciousness.”

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

hha I can so relate to that disclaimer ;)

Karen Cooley April 19, 2012

My husband was smart and didnt go up for more. I did – a small portion, but yikes! LOL Now I know – wait. 10 minutes. A half hour. And THEN if I’m hungry, go for more. ;) Quite delish and I can’t wait to explore your other recipes. Forgot to say in my original post that I’m new to your blog, so hi! LOL

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

HELLO! :) Nice to meet you Karen! Glad you both enjoyed it :)

Theresa April 22, 2012

I added some brined olives for some nice contrasting flavors and it was quite yummy. Thanks for the recipe!

Lori April 27, 2012

This sounds delish, do you have any idea what the protein/fat/carb/calorie content is for this dish?

Christine Gillis May 5, 2012

Hey Angela. Just stumbling upon this post. Love the sound of the protein packed one, the salad you chose as #1. How would you suugest taking this for lunch? I’m assuming that you’d have to eat it right away. How do you think it would work out if I made the veggies and then mixed everything together at work, including the dressing and warming in the microwave~would that work at all???

Suzanne P May 9, 2012

This is delicious Angela! Thank you!!

Ps. I made your Weekend Glow Kale salad, halved the salad component, but saved half the dressing so I could try this as well!!

Stephanie May 16, 2012

This sounds so good I have tahini in my fridge just waiting tobe used!! I was wondering though Doyle need the nutritional yeast?? I have never seen this in a store around me…. Thanks can’t wait to try this!

jeannine May 26, 2012

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life June 2, 2012

I just made this and it’s fabulous! I actually forgot to put the water in the dressing to thin it out, so it clumped together, but I served it on a bed of greens and it was almost like a casserole – divine! Next time I’ll try adding the water for a different take on it, but I enjoyed it either way – the flavour is the same regardless! Thanks Ange :)

Natasha June 4, 2012

Nutritional yeast always makes me sick, even just the smell of it, would the dressing recipe still work without nutritional yeast or is there a replacement for it? Any tips would be great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 5, 2012

Ive made it without nutritional yeast before and I wasnt a big fan of it. Sorry, Im not sure of any subs!

Page 3 of 5«12345»