Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

IMG 5378   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Out of all of the recipes on my Weekly Meal Plan, this is the one we were most excited about!

I first made vegan enchiladas with ‘cheeze’ sauce almost a year ago and Eric has been gushing about them ever since. I must agree that I really don’t make them enough…and I’m not sure why because I’m crazy about them.

Last night, I jazzed up the original recipe and the outcome was so drool-worthy we found ourselves forgetting that they didn’t contain- or even need- cheese. Now that is a good vegan enchilada!

IMG 5357   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

For this version, I made a creamy green sauce made from Cilantro, avocado (the cream!), lime, and a few other spices that served as a decadent topping for the sweet potato, black bean, spinach, and pepper enchiladas.

They satisfied our every craving…and then some.

IMG 5396   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Make your filling and adjust all seasonings to taste.

IMG 5328   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce IMG 5330   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Fill and roll your tortilla wraps, placing fold side down in the dish. You can sprinkle vegan cheese on them before baking if you prefer.

IMG 5337   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Prepare the cream sauce while baking the enchiladas.

IMG 5356   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

IMG 5338   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

When the enchiladas are done cooking, spread the Cilantro avocado sauce over top, sprinkle with cilantro and green onion and eat your heart out!

IMG 5370   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

A couple hints:

1) Due to the avocado in the cream sauce, this sauce needs to be used immediately for best results. If you plan on having leftovers, my advice is to wrap the leftover enchiladas without sauce and store in the fridge. You can try storing leftover sauce in an air-tight container for up to one day or you can make a half batch and make fresh sauce as needed.

2) These would probably be tasty with Nacho Cheeze Sauce too.

IMG 4622   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

We both loved ‘em. A bit too much maybe because we were totally stuffed afterwards! They would also make a fun meal if you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo tomorrow.

IMG 5389   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

After taking his last pleasurable bite, Eric proclaimed, ‘I predict this is the best recipe all week.’

IMG 5396 2   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

We shall see husband, we shall see. ;)

Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 5, 2011

I just tried cilantro again (after a few years of despising it), and I was surpirsed how much I liked it! :D

Your recipe looks very good – as always. :)

Beth@naturallyyoursbeth May 5, 2011

Everything about this dinner screams one word…DELISH!! That creamy avocado looks amazing :)

Amber K May 5, 2011

Oh.My.Gosh. I think I could even get my meat-loving husband to love these! They look awesome!!

Danielle @ weightsandmeasures May 5, 2011

Those look like the best vegan enchiladas I have ever laid eyes on. Bookmarked!

Namaste Gurl May 5, 2011

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Your photos are beyond magazine worthy. Actually I’m not even sure if they’re worth putting in a magazine– they’re just so beautiful! This looks lovely…. prefect for cinco de mayo, no? ;)

Heather S May 5, 2011

Since I was super busy with work last night and also craving Mexican thanks to your post, my boyfriend decided to make these for us :) DELISH!!! He LOVES avocado, so the avocado cream sauce was his favorite. Thanks for this, will definitely make it again!

Katherine: Unemployed May 5, 2011

I wish avocado was utilized as a sauce more often

jenny May 5, 2011

these look sooo AMAZING!! Yum, I’m also looking for great new vegan recipes to try!

XOXO

Julie (A Case of the Runs) May 5, 2011

Ugh, drooooool! I don’t get to eat avocados nearly often enough.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 5, 2011

I’M NUT FOR ENCHILADAS!!!!! and yay for vegan ones! I must make these very, very soon ;)

Zorana May 5, 2011

I just made this and it was amazing! My teenage daughter doesn’t like sweet potatoes, but she ate the enchiladas complimenting them after every bite. Thank you Angela!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie May 5, 2011

Oh my gosh I am going to make these and then ask my hubby if he noticed they were vegan! He totally won’t know. I just know it.

Dazzle R. May 6, 2011

OMG. ENCHILADAS GET IN ME NOW.

Thank you so much for sharing this! I made this tonight with a few substitutions as suited my kitchen, so it’s not quite vegan but oh man it’s still pretty freaking delicious. I’m actually eating some right now as I type this. I’m definitely putting this on the regular rotation!

Isis May 6, 2011

I just made these but I topped it with home made guacamole instead and they were delicious! I’m soooo stuffed, I can’t wait to eat the left overs :o)

Sassy May 7, 2011

Beautiful photos. And the food looks incredible. Thanks for sharing. :)

Leslie May 8, 2011

Thanks for the great sauce recipe- I used it on Enchilada Tostadas…

So good!

Ali May 8, 2011

Just made the enchiladas- OH GOODNESS! So delicious! Thank you for sharing! I can’t wait to eat the leftovers :)

Tiffany May 9, 2011

Just wondering what would be a good substitute for the cilantro? My husband and I aren’t crazy about it, but these enchiladas look so amazing!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2011

Im not sure there is a substitute for it, but I heard from a reader who used guacamole over top instead of the sauce and she loved it!

Marie May 9, 2011

I just finished making and eating this for dinner. My boyfriend proclaims “This is one of the top five dinners you’ve ever made.”

It was DELICIOUS. And vegan!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2011

yay!!

Ashley May 9, 2011

I just made these in time for the hockey game…they were perfect, and very filling. Wonderful recipe. Next time I will chop up my sweet potato a little smaller, I made my chunks a tad too big, but nonetheless, delicious!

Nichole May 10, 2011

Omg. I cannot wait to try that avocado cilantro cream sauce. I predict that I will eat it on EVERYTHING.

Barb Childs May 10, 2011

To store the avocado sauce, take a piece of plastic wrap and push down directly on sauce to get the air out, then seal with an airtight lid, this will keep the sauce from turning black, I do this when I make guacamole.

Kim May 10, 2011

I made these for my husband and friend and they were outstanding!! I was skeptical about the dryness and cilantro in the sauce, but it blew my mind! Big thumbs up from us!

Ashley May 10, 2011

Oh my goodness, they are better the next day. I can’t wait to make these again, I’m hooked!

Cherina @ Quiet Wanderings May 11, 2011

These enchiladas are divine!! And even better the next day. I made your carrot loaf last week and the enchiladas this week. Next week…who knows? Maybe the tomato basil pasta.
A Canadian friend suggested your site to me a couple of months back and I’m hooked and I’ve been raving about it to my Aussie friends :) Kudos from Down Under!

Jes May 11, 2011

I made these for dinner on Monday and WOW.

My carniverous boyfriend couldn’t get enough and kept asking if I was SURE there wasn’t any cheese in them!

Candace May 13, 2011

Just made this for dinner with my three and a half year old son. We both love em!! So delicious.

Brenda May 14, 2011

I am so glad I made these today! They are delicious! Thank you for the recipe.

Jen May 14, 2011

WOW!!! My Husband and I loved these. Always happy to add a healthy dish that also has flavour!

Kht April 18, 2012

Just tried this tonight, it was freaking brilliant! I didn’t have cilantro, and I didn’t miss it. (I too have a speckled past with the stuff!) Very filling and I will be trying this again!

Kristy April 22, 2012

Just made this. Added butternut squash because I did not have enough sweet potatoes. I also decided to to the casserole “lasagna” style in layers, rather than rolled. I also used fresh salsa instead of pasta or enchilada sauce. SO GOOD.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 22, 2012

great ideas, thanks for letting me know!

María April 25, 2012

About how many avacados will make the 1 1/4 cup for the Avacado Sauce?

Debbie Gledhill May 2, 2012

I’m excited! These look delicious! It just happens to be Cinco de Mayo this weekend! I am going to travel to my best friend’s house where we are throwing our first dinner party and this is on the menu! Thanks!! There are a few vegetarians there so I am happy to prepare something for everyone. I cannot wait to try this. Keep posting your amazing finds and creations. :)
Debbie

Jenny May 17, 2012

These are awesome. Made them tonight. Loved them. Think hubby would even eat them even though they don’t have any meat in them, which he thinks he has to have. I will be making these again.

Martha May 23, 2012

Hi! I’m a college student who has been vegetarian about year now, and I’m starting to make the transition to vegan living. I just made your vegan enchilada recipe for my family, and they loved it! Even my little sister, who loves meat and cheese (and was skepical since the recipe is vegan), loved it! Thank you so much and I look forward to trying more of your recipes! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 23, 2012

Thats great Martha!

Jill May 25, 2012

I just made these for me & my (meat-eating) boyfriend and they are SO AMAZING!!!! I can barely cook anything but you’ve made these foolproof (although mine didn’t look nearly as pretty as yours ;p) I will be making these again and I know my entire meat-eating family will love them. :) Thanks Angela!

Sara Beth May 25, 2012

These enchiladas are AMAZING!! My new favorite dinner. Loved them and the cilantro-avocado cream sauce is perfect on top. Thanks for this creative, well-balanced, healthy and delicious meal. I have shared it with a number of friends.

Jakub June 11, 2012

Hi Angie,

I am a Vegan Personal Chef and from time to time I browse the net for recipes. Yours Is something I would absolutely make for my client. I love the ingredients and the PICTURES!

Good luck cooking I will be looking at your blog more often

Jakub

Taylor June 13, 2012

So amazing! My favorite enchilada recipe ever. :D

Meghan July 1, 2012

Wow, these look amazing! Can’t wait to try them and share them with my veg readers :) thanks!
Meghan