Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

IMG 5378   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Out of all of the recipes on my Weekly Meal Plan, this is the one we were most excited about!

I first made vegan enchiladas with ‘cheeze’ sauce almost a year ago and Eric has been gushing about them ever since. I must agree that I really don’t make them enough…and I’m not sure why because I’m crazy about them.

Last night, I jazzed up the original recipe and the outcome was so drool-worthy we found ourselves forgetting that they didn’t contain- or even need- cheese. Now that is a good vegan enchilada!

IMG 5357   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

For this version, I made a creamy green sauce made from Cilantro, avocado (the cream!), lime, and a few other spices that served as a decadent topping for the sweet potato, black bean, spinach, and pepper enchiladas.

They satisfied our every craving…and then some.

IMG 5396   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Make your filling and adjust all seasonings to taste.

IMG 5328   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce IMG 5330   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Fill and roll your tortilla wraps, placing fold side down in the dish. You can sprinkle vegan cheese on them before baking if you prefer.

IMG 5337   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

Prepare the cream sauce while baking the enchiladas.

IMG 5356   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

IMG 5338   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

When the enchiladas are done cooking, spread the Cilantro avocado sauce over top, sprinkle with cilantro and green onion and eat your heart out!

IMG 5370   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

A couple hints:

1) Due to the avocado in the cream sauce, this sauce needs to be used immediately for best results. If you plan on having leftovers, my advice is to wrap the leftover enchiladas without sauce and store in the fridge. You can try storing leftover sauce in an air-tight container for up to one day or you can make a half batch and make fresh sauce as needed.

2) These would probably be tasty with Nacho Cheeze Sauce too.

IMG 4622   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

We both loved ‘em. A bit too much maybe because we were totally stuffed afterwards! They would also make a fun meal if you are celebrating Cinco de Mayo tomorrow.

IMG 5389   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

After taking his last pleasurable bite, Eric proclaimed, ‘I predict this is the best recipe all week.’

IMG 5396 2   Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce

We shall see husband, we shall see. ;)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather May 4, 2011

Your photos look amazing Angela! Like always though :)

I want a bite of those enchiladas, they are mouth watering.

Melanie May 4, 2011

I made these for lunch today (with a few modifications as I didn’t have all the ingredients). My husband’s comment was, “I’d definitely eat these again!” They were fantastic. I did substitue rice tortillas for the wheat ones. Because the rice tortillas tend to dry out, I built my version in a pie plate and made the filling into layers. Once it was finished, I served it like pieces of pie with the avocado sauce on the side. MMMMM delicious!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2011

Yum! Sounds delicious :) I love making tortilla pies too!

Michelle (your girlfriend for fitness) May 4, 2011

Sitting at my desk wishing I could eat the screen right now… those look sooo tasty! I tried your pasta with the avocado cream sauce a couple of weeks ago and it was amazing, can’t wait to try this one too!

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) May 4, 2011

Okay, Angela, when are you opening your restaurant because I want to be the first customer?! Thanks for the inspiration for yet another healthy and delicious-looking vegan meal. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 4, 2011

Those look really good and it just reminded me that I need to make your nacho cheese sauce!

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good May 4, 2011

I LOVE the idea of an avocado cream! I will have to try that soon.

Char May 4, 2011

Wow, these look SOOO good. I plan on making sweet potato quesadilla’s tonight and nearly have all the ingredients to make these…decisions, decisions! I’ve never tried nutritional yeast…any suggestions on where to find it? (I have Zehrs, Sobeys, Metro, No Frills and a local health store around me, but not sure what section to look at there!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2011

hmmm they carry it at bulk barn…and also sometimes in the organic/nature foods section of some grocery stores. I think bob’s red mill makes nutritional yeast!

Char May 5, 2011

Thanks! I’ll have to try bulk barn tomorrow!

Roz May 4, 2011

I’m wishing I was having a Cinco De Mayo dinner tomorrow….these would be PERFECT. Thanks as always for another stellar looking recipe.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) May 4, 2011

Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce looks awesome (I just posted about a avo smoothie last night) ..I have been all about the avos lately. And love the pic w/ the cilantro just laying there so delicately and beautifully. So pretty.

And the Nacho Cheeze Sauce…mmmm, delish! Of course the enchiladas themselves look stellar!

And what’s this “if you’re celebrating…” Cinco de Mayo? Isnt it mandatory to have a margarita, chips and guac in your hands tomorrow? I am 10 miles from the Mexican border and it’s 85F out. Get your fiesta on :)

Moni'sMeals May 4, 2011

Oh Lady! you got me on this one for sure. Wow. I have a Kale Pinto Bean Enchilida Recipe that I adore:

But I so look forward to trying yours out. Just look at the photos!! Also how perfect for Cinco de Mayo! :)

Angel7 May 4, 2011

My husband absolutely loves Mexican food! I know that he and I, and possibly the little one, would like the enchiladas. Any dish with avocados in it is a winner for me!

Kiersten May 4, 2011

Your food always looks so pretty AND delicious! I need to make vegan enchiladas again. Last time I made them I came up with something great, but I failed to write my recipe down.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food May 4, 2011

I was just thinking this morning about how I love enchiladas and quesadillas because you can add anything to them and use so many different types of ingredients! These look absolutely delicious! I think they will definitely be made at my house tomorrow to honor Cinco de Mayo!!! :-)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 4, 2011

This sounds incredible!! I sent your post to my husband at work and asked if he wants this for dinner tomorrow night. He’s all for it! :)

Tara @ trulysimplebits May 4, 2011

These look SO good. I bookmark any the recipes you post that I want to try and my favorites tab is full of your tasty foods! I made some cookies and muffins of yours the other day and they were both two thumbs up from both me and hubby. Thanks so much for all the work you do to make our bellies satisfied! :)

VeggieGirl May 4, 2011

Holy moly enchilada!!! Those look divine :)

Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 4, 2011

I made enchiladas recently for a friend who is an omnivore. He insisted on real cheese even though I had made cheezy natcho hemp sauce. Instead of using two separate baking dishes, I build a “wall” between his side and my side using quinoa crackers. It was effective in keeping his cheese away from my cheeze :) Happy Cinco de Mayo. Time to use the blender for something other than raw soup!

vivoir May 4, 2011

Your recipes always look delicious and are certainly helping me recognise that a meal without some kind of fish/ meat protein is still ‘OK’. I am OCD about incorporating protein at every meal and for some reason can’t quite qualify a bean-based dish to sort this particular demon in my head…

But with such amazing ideas, the idea at least is getting easier…

Justeen @ Blissful Baking May 4, 2011

WOW, these vegan enchiladas look spectacular! I love cheese, but these enchiladas have so many other goodies that I wouldn’t even miss it!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen May 4, 2011

Ohhh my gosh – these look amazing.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) May 4, 2011

wow – your photos are wonderful! This is such a drool worthy dish!

Angela May 4, 2011

These look awesome and so healthy! I make tofu enchiladas but have been thinking of making black bean ones for a little while now… I will definitely be trying these, thanks!

Sonia May 4, 2011

:drool: I love me some enchiladas! And I got plenty of avocados for the “sauce” :)

Megan@eatmybeets May 4, 2011

Oh my god that dish looks sooo good! I recently (well.. 3 years ago) discovered by love of enchiladas and more recently (a few months ago) discovered that trader joe’s sells an enchilada sauce, so this recipe shall be added to the queue.

Emily May 4, 2011

These. Were. INSANE. Soooo delicious! I saw the recipe this morning and knew I had to make them tonight. I ran out and got the ingredients right away. They lived up to the pictures- packed with flavor and so satisfying (even for meat-eating fathers). Very very easy, too- some chopping, but really not bad. It was the first time I’ve made enchiladas because usually they’re drowning in cheese and I don’t really like that. These were perfect.

These are definitely going in the rotation. Thanks Angela!

Alaina May 4, 2011

I love, love, LOVE cilantro!! I’ll bet these taste devine. I am definitely bookmarking. :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 4, 2011

This looks amazing! And it’s perfect for Cinco de Mayo tomorrow. I think I may even get my vegan-phobic parents on board with this recipe haha.

whitney May 4, 2011

Oh I love guac! :)
Love the pictures, making me very hungry!

Whitney

Kat @ Cupcake Kat May 4, 2011

This dish looks so good. Oh my gosh I want to make them

Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) May 4, 2011

I love sweet potatoes and black beans together. Combine them into an enchilada with an avocado cream sauce and my stomach starts grumbling. They look absolutely delicious.

Kristin May 4, 2011

These look amazing, only change I will make is adding green chile, they just aren’t enchiladas to me without some spice. I love the guacamole cream!

kate@hautetotsBOS May 4, 2011

drooling a little bit…cilantro and avacado are two of my favorite things in the world!!

Jess @ littlegirlbigappetite May 4, 2011

Just found your website. This looks so colorful and delicious! I am craving eventhough I just had dinner!

Rebecca May 4, 2011

Yum yum!!! I love Mexican food!

Caroline @ Out of Liney May 4, 2011

Wow, these look so yummy! I went out for Mexican tonight, and I’m sure this avocado cream sauce would rival Rosa Mexicano’s :)

Lauren May 4, 2011

Eeek, I’m so excited about this recipe considering the original has been one of my favorite recipes ever!

mi-an May 4, 2011

i’m gonna make this!! yummy!!
p.s. i’m in charge of making food for a meditation workshop at my yoga studio. any recommendations on any vegan cleansing finger food?? thanks angela!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 4, 2011

I just made your avocado pasta, and now I’m going to need more to make this sauce!! Definitely perfect for Cinco de Mayo :)

ellalinea May 5, 2011

*drooooooooooooooooooool* those look amazing!!!!!!!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 5, 2011

Another amazing recipe! Those look fabulous!

Page 2 of 6«12345»...Last »