Royal Wedding Fun & Easy Cheezy Crackers

gty_prince_william_kate_dm_110428_ssh

[source]

Wheeeeeee!

IMG_5084

If you are a hopeless romantic, it really doesn’t get any better than this!

I’ve been glued to the TV since 6am watching the Royal Wedding festivities. The crowds, the church, the royals, the hymns, the elegance, the music, the glamour, the carriage….the DRESS! There was not a hair out of place. Oh and I totally teared up when Kate stepped out of the car. :)

I thought Kate’s dress was perfect in every way. She is classy, elegant, and confident. I loved that the dress was traditional while still being modern and simple. I’m sure we will see a ton of replica and inspired wedding gowns in the stores soon! I also want her earrings.

The only thing that threw me for a loop was that Pippa, Kate’s sister, also wore a white gown, which looked a lot like a wedding gown. Did anyone else think that was a bit odd?

[Update: Some of you mentioned this is a tradition…makes more sense now!]

In much less exciting news, I made homemade crackers this week… :)

IMG_5074

I had weddings on the mind, clearly. ;)

IMG_5055

IMG_5080

These 4-ingredient homemade crackers from Have Cake Will Travel are by far the easiest crackers I have made to date.

IMG_5050

IMG_5076b

IMG_5054

You know what I love? Dough that is extremely easy to roll! I’ve made a lot of crackers in the past and this dough was by far the easiest to roll out.

IMG_5056

After about 20 minutes of baking they were ready. Next time, I might bake them even longer because I love really crispy crackers.

IMG_5062

They are a simple cracker with a hint of cheesy flavour (from the nutritional yeast) and wholesome nuttiness thanks to the spelt. They are just perfect…and ‘dangerously addictive’ as Celine says!

IMG_5068

You can adapt these crackers a million ways and I’m sure you could use different flours too. Celine has an all-purpose flour version here as well.

Herb and spice ideas:

• Rosemary, Thyme, and Parsley
  • Sea salt and dill
  • Cinnamon spice
  • Pumpkin spice (nutmeg, cinnamon, ground cloves, ginger)
  • Sea salt and vinegar
  • Smoked paprika
  • Garlic, Chive, & Onion
  • ???

I will have to make another batch this weekend for sure!

If you make any spice/herb/flour variation, please leave a link in the comment section so others can check them out too.

IMG_5069

Now go party like a PRINCESS and have a great Friday.

1 Vicki Voorhis September 19, 2014

I have made these crackers twice in the last two days. The first batch was gone in less than 24 hours. I didn’t have spelt flour so I used all purpose the first time and whole wheat the second and they turned out awesome! My 18 month is addicted to them! If we hadn’t run out of the first batch, I think these are all he would have preferred to eat all day.

I did post the recipe on my blog, but I linked back to this page and credited you as my source. Is that the correct protocol? I’m new to blogging. I’m not sure if you see comments on posts this far back, but thanks for posting this recipe!

2 MC April 13, 2014

I just made these and they are delicious! I used wheat flour rather than spelt. Next time I will roll them slightly thinner, but these are a healthy and hearty addition to my snack collection. Thank you!

3 Apron Appeal May 24, 2011

Oh drat! I picked up the nutritional yeast but not the spelt. Can I make these with whole grain flour instead? I guess I’m about to find out.

4 Alexandra May 15, 2011

These were so delicious! I am on my 4th batch of these since you posted this recipe and have been experimenting by adding some herbs to them….so far the favorite is rosemary! Thanks for all the great recipes and the green monsters!

5 Yvonne May 3, 2011

I made this with smoked paprika, herbes de provence and some ramson added – they were so very delicious! Such deliciousness can’t be bought anywhere!
Thanks for reminding me of Celine’s super recipe.
I’l make them different each time because I love to experiment. So next will be with tamari, sesame seeds and nori flakes.

6 Samantha May 2, 2011

I’m not sure if you would be interested, but I made hummus crackers a while ago that have even less ingredients in them (if you already have the hummus made) and they are ultra delicious and oh so simple to make. I absolutely loved these!!

http://flavorator.blogspot.com/2011/03/taking-care-of-business.html Let me know what you think :)!

Samantha

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 2, 2011

mmm looks yummy!

8 Gwenevere May 2, 2011

I found this post from tastespotting. I couldn’t figure out why you called these “cheesy” until I googled nutritional yeast. I can’t eat cheese because I’m nursing and my son is allergic. I think I’ll be taking a trip to pick me up some nutritional yeast to give these a try!

9 tweal April 30, 2011

I’ve been wanting to try my hand at making crackers for a while, and I was thinking I’d have to develop my own recipe but not anymore – this looks perfect! I think a nice black pepper version would be fun, and I’ll try a curry one too – so many possibilities, thanks for sharing the recipe :)

10 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa April 30, 2011

How easy! I need to whip up a batch of these for my husband who cannot go a day without eating crackers. Boxes of crackers are one of the last processed foods that we buy at the grocery store (some of which are not bad actually – but homemade is always better!).

11 Morgan April 30, 2011

Holy YUM! I cannot wait to make these!! These would be such great, healthy snacks for my little ones! Thank you so much!

12 Reka April 29, 2011

Haha! You’re funny. I’m also a very girly hopeless romantic :)

13 rawkinmom April 29, 2011

I need to make these crackers!!! They look like wheat thins!!! YAY!!!

14 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 29, 2011

These look so yummy, and really easy too!
I was smitten with all the royal wedding hype – couldn’t get enough of it.

15 Rebecca April 29, 2011

Yummy crackers! Im gonna try and make these with a gluten free flour! Gluten free crackers from the store are never that great.

16 Alexandra Aimee April 29, 2011

Angela I also noticed that when Pippa was carrying Kate’s train she sort of “blended in”, so I think that had something to do with her dress color choice as well. It is a bit of tradition, but really it’s not traditional for adults to be in royal wedding parties at all, so that makes me think maybe they did it more for aesthetic. If she was walking behind Kate in a bright yellow dress like the queen wore she would have grabbed the eye instead of blending in and leaving the attention on Kate!

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2011

that totally makes sense!

18 Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 29, 2011

you got up early to watch…I stayed up late to watch here in New Zealand! also, those crackers look divine. crackers and cookies are my favorite foods, lol!

19 Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty April 29, 2011

I’ve been up since 4:30am! What a wonderful day. Glad you enjoyed the romance of everything as well.

20 Kath April 29, 2011

Love this post and the photos in it!!

21 Amanda- The Nutritionist Reviews April 29, 2011

I just made your salt and vinegar chickpeas! They are amazing : )

22 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 29, 2011

I just made these, SO GOOD! They go perfect with the nut cheese I made on my blog today!!

Great little snack that does take long to make! Thank you!

23 Namaste Gurl April 29, 2011

How do you make everything look so magazine- like and beautiful? Your photos should earn awards :)
You think these crackers would work with buckwheat or garbanzo flour (GF)?

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2011

aww thank you!

I haven’t had too much success with buckwheat or chickpea flour in my baking escapades, so Im really not sure how it would work. It would be an experiment I guess! Goodluck!

25 Kate April 29, 2011

Ummm Perez Hilton totally reads your blog……You’re famous! lol

26 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes April 29, 2011

I love your cracker recipes!!!

27 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 29, 2011

Yum!!! I have been craving cheezyness for a longgg time now, these will be perfperf!

28 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 29, 2011

Love the recipe and how EASY and simple it is. Anything with lots of nooch in it, is a beautiful thing to me,too!

The cutouts you made, with those PERFECT edges…wow, Angela. NICE The last shot, that has FG and TS written all over it. I know you better be submitting these pics!

The royal wedding…didnt watch it, don’t care. I know, gasp. I think I am the only one who is content just reading the highlights on everyone else’s blogs…lol. Saved me lots of time! haha!

29 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 29, 2011

Those crackers look incredible! I was up early this morning, but unfortunately it was to study for finals, so I’m going to need to look at some recaps of the event!

30 Emily April 29, 2011

Hopeless romantic? Guilty as charged! It’s sooo nice to see a vegan blog that’s not being snarky about the Royal Wedding today and I cannot wait to make these crackers!

31 Freya April 29, 2011

Ok, I keep asking soo many bloggers and never get a reply! So I’ll ask you too :) The nutritional yeast I have says if it’s heated over 100degrees, it loses it’s health benefits – so wouldn’t baking anything with it in ‘kill it’ as it were? Just curious on your thoughts :)

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

I haven’t heard that before, so Im not really sure!

33 [email protected] April 29, 2011

this looks so delicious! I love weddings but haven’t kept up with this one at all.

34 Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 29, 2011

I was at the royal wedding! It was cute. But you got just as good (if not better) view from the television. Lovely crackers! Do you think almond or coconut flour would work?

35 Roz April 29, 2011

I’ve been up since 2:30am (I’m on the west coast) getting all hyped up with the Royal Wedding hoopla. LOVED her dress! Suited her and the occasion perfectly! The crackers look great – should have been commissioned by the Queen and topped with something for the royal reception!!!

36 JenATX April 29, 2011

omg you are too hilarious!

37 Gaura April 29, 2011

cute crackers!

I watched the wedding as I’m technically a Brit (passport) and lived in London for 2 years recently! Ive been loving seeing all the London footage on TV, and yes, I felt a swelling of national pride when I saw Kate and the carriage and Westminister etc etc…..!!

38 J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 29, 2011

Those crackers look great! And the picture of that cathedral is breathtaking!

39 Ana April 29, 2011

That is basically how I make my savory crackers! I also like to add flaxseeds (whole) and sesame seeds to mine they not only add nutrition but also flavor and fun to the crackers!!
Ana

40 laurie April 29, 2011

I’m trying to decide if getting a food processor is a good idea if I already have a Vitamix blender. I use my Vitamix all the time for smoothies, soups, and hummus but now I want to start making banana soft serve, and raw dessert balls and nut butters. Do you prefer using a food processor for these foods? Sorry to ask this in your comments and Thanks!

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

Hey Laurie,

I prefer to use my food processor for BSS and nut butter. Im afraid of wearing down the blade of the vitamix…! lol. I also dont have a dry container for the VM (which im not sure you need or not..)

42 laurie April 29, 2011

Thanks, Ange!

43 Jess April 29, 2011

Beautiful, beautiful wedding with a gorgeous dress and bride!!

I made your Fruity Baked Oatmeal while I watched, starting with pre-coverage at 4am EST. ;) It was TERRIFIC.

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

awww that makes me happy!

45 kaila @ healthy helper! April 29, 2011

I loooved her dress too! It was exactly what I pictured her in!

Those crackers look delicious! And so easy….I have always been hesitant to make crackers because I thought they would be quite difficult…these are perfect!

46 Tawney April 29, 2011

I could live on crackers. Just bought spelt flour a few days ago. Heading to the kitchen now…

47 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 29, 2011

I thought both William & Kate looked gorgeous! They keep playing clips of their vows on the radio & it makes me get teary every time. What a fairytale! I was just thinking today that I might try your recipe for wheat thins but this recipe looks even better to me (I LOVE nutritional yeast)!

48 Mercedees @ Cultivating Consciousness April 29, 2011

I’ve had lots of trial and errors with crackers lately. These, however, looks like REAL CRACKERS. They could totally pass for packaged crackers, they look so perfect! I’m definitely going to have to try these, but it’ll have to be with some other flours because I dont eat grains. I’ll let you know….. fingers crossed! Happy Wedding!

49 Angel7 April 29, 2011

I got up at around 5:30AM to watch The Royal Wedding. I did not watch the whole thing, though.

The wedding was beautiful, and Kate looked stunning! I absolutely loved her gown–it was beautiful and fit her like a glove! She looks like the epitome of what a princess should look like.

The crackers you made look great, and I love the fact that they are easy to make!

50 Lisa April 29, 2011

I didn’t get up early to watch it but I did watch it once I got to work. And I cried! It was so romantic and she looked beautiful! I loved every minute of it.

51 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 29, 2011

Thanks for more crackers! I always enjoy your cracker recipes!

52 Nic at The Fit Writer April 29, 2011

Sending you a right Royal wave from the UK! :D Catherine’s earrings were from here http://www.robinsonpelham.com/ if you’re interested (and have a few bazillion £££ to spend!)

Glad you enjoyed it, it was a really happy day for the country IMO and yes she looked absolutely stunning.

NIc

53 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 29, 2011

Those are fun crackers. I was totally sucked into the royal wedding madness! SO much fun!

54 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 29, 2011

I’m typically not a lace fan, but I thought Kate pulled it off. She’s gorgeous. I think the bridesmaid wearing white is some sort of tradition… not sure. she had quite the spray tan going!

The crackers look scrumptious! I love new uses for spelt flour. :)

Happy Friday!

55 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 29, 2011

The dress probably isn’t something I would choose for me, but I think it was perfect for her! She looked so elegant and beautiful! And I really liked Pippa’s dress too.

56 Hannah April 29, 2011

These crackers are adorable! You could totally do a sweet version too (though I guess that would be your graham crackers!)

It’s funny…I said the other day that I didn’t get the hype about the wedding, but after hearing some fellow college mates say that they woke up at 5 AM to watch it, and were so amazed, it might be worth a You-Tube viewing after all!

57 [email protected] April 29, 2011

These crackers are adorable I need to get out my cookie cutters and I love how simple they are to make, I really need to start utilizing home made crackers and quit wasting $4 a box for marys although I do love them. Happy Friday :):)

58 whitney April 29, 2011

Yum I want to make these! :) Have a good weekend!

Whitney

59 [email protected] Sweet Touch April 29, 2011

I’ve never made my own crackers before. Must try these!

I loved the wedding, such a beautiful day!

60 Heather April 29, 2011

the crackers look delish! also, love your pic in the beginning, ha!

61 Amber K April 29, 2011

I think I’m the only woman in this whole world who hasn’t watched a single wedding thing. I have caught random parts of E! News but that’s it. I just don’t care about the wedding of two people I don’t know!

62 Alexa May 1, 2011

Actually, i didn’t watch it either,and I live in Europe!

63 Jen April 29, 2011

I think I need to make these crackers!

I thought Kate looked amazing, and I did think it odd at first when I saw Pippa in white- but immediately remembered it was an old tradition to have the maid of honor and bridesmaid wear white to confuse the evil spirits…either way it was simply beautiful!

64 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 29, 2011

I’m going to make those crackers today. I had a cracker fail a couple days ago :( Well, they’re OK, but nothing amazing. I gotta go find my spelt and grind some so I can make these, haha. I should really just buy some flour next time :D

65 Mel April 29, 2011

It’s royal tradition that bridesmaids wear white as well. It’s not a rule but a long standing tradition that I dont think Wills and Kate would choose to break, they dont usually have older bridesmaids either so the dress her sister worn was typical bridesmaids just in white- I suppose the idea is to look like the next bride :)

Love the recipe also!

66 Carol April 29, 2011

Can’t wait to make your crackers…probably tonight:) I love your cookie cutters also!

Yes, I thought it was odd also that Pippa had a white dress. Maybe something with a tradition??

67 Angela April 29, 2011

I loved it all, such a fun morning. The fashion commentator person they had on the BBC said it nice that the bridesmaids wore white/cream as it doesn’t distract from Kate (as if anything could!) unlike it would if there were loads of people wearing pink or blue. I think they both looked amazing.

68 Leanne April 29, 2011

I am getting my nurtitional yeast in the mail this week and I got spelt flour in my CSA this week, I think this recipe is in order. Thanks for posting!!

69 Ashley April 29, 2011

I love the ribbed edges!! The texture looks perfect. Yum!!! I always think it’s weird when anyone where’s a white dress to a wedding, let alone the sister. Weird!

70 Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 29, 2011

Her dress was AMAZING. I can’t get over it. So elegant. And these crackers look pretty amazing, too. :)

71 chelsea April 29, 2011

I loved Kate’s dress…I mean Princess Catherine’s dress! She was so beautiful. I cried like the entire time. I am such a romantic and weddings get me everytime!

72 Therese April 29, 2011

Although I didn’t get up early to watch it (got to bed late, had to go to work and all that), I totally scoured the internet for pictures as soon as I got up and will watch the videos later on. Kate was GORGEOUS!!! It really is a fairytale wedding and it’s so nice to see a couple actually in love! My girlie sensibilites totally overcame me this morning!

73 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 29, 2011

I would have loved her dress if it didn’t have all the lace, not a lace fan. But other than that… it was beautiful! I loved her bridesmaid dresses.
These crackers look delicious! I wonder if I could make them with sorghum flour? Only one way to find out! Man… I have promised myself to make far too many recipes this weekend.

74 [email protected] Caramel Cookie April 29, 2011

I hardly ever make crackers but I need to make them more often since they are so easy!

75 Amy April 29, 2011

I thought it was odd that Camilla wore white too.

76 Moni'sMeals April 29, 2011

wow, I love this Angela. I still have not made any crackers at home and you motivate me everytime with your recipes. I like the title… Easy cheezy crackers!

Yes, I loved her dress as well…ahhh.

so I will go be a Princess today, you do the same!

77 Emily April 29, 2011

I’ve never made crackers before, that needs to change!

78 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 29, 2011

I’m definitely going to be making these crackers this weekend…I realized that I haven’t bought hummus in ages, and I’ll need something to shovel the goodness into my mouth with!

79 [email protected] Dishes Daily April 29, 2011

Pumpkin spice crackers sound amazing!

80 Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 29, 2011

The crackers look yummy!
I’m looking forward to watching replays of the royal wedding this week :)

81 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 29, 2011

These crackers look delicious! And I have all of the ingredients so I guess I’ll be making these soon!

I saw Pippa’s dress and although it would be a lovely wedding gown, I thought it was subdued enough (compared to Kate’s!) to be a beautiful maid of honor gown.

82 Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 29, 2011

Yes, I totally thought that it was strange that Pippa also wore white! Aren’t you not supposed to do that?? Regardless, she looked beautiful. And no one could really outshine Kate anyway. I thought her dress was perfection. It wasn’t overly elaborate or fussy. It was just perfect!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

I agree :)

84 Sam April 29, 2011

Camilla was also wearing a cream dress under a light blue coat. I think Pippa looked nice and that’s probably the look Kate wanted, but I am pretty sure proper etiquette is that regular guests don’t wear white or cream to someone else’s wedding.

However. That didn’t stop one of my guests from wearing a lace cream colored minidress, seating herself at the head table and asking our professional photographer to take multiple photos of her. There’s usually a few loopy ones at weddings ! :P

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

haha oh man!!!! One in every bunch right?

86 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet April 29, 2011

I thought Pippa’s white dress was a little odd too. But she looked gorgeous, and they’ve already established that they’re not going to do anything just because it’s traditional.

I wasn’t in love with Kate’s dress, but her smile was all that mattered!

Love these crackers! Reminds me of wheat thins :)

87 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 29, 2011

I love these crackers, especially the fun shapes!

88 Abby April 29, 2011

I found it a bit odd that her dress was white also. I really loved both dresses though! I was kind of making fun of myself for getting so emotional during the ceremony but I’m a hopeless romantic. lol. I loved soaking in every minute even if I did have to get up at 4:45! :)

89 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats April 29, 2011

These look scrumptious. I am going to try some with a gf flour.

Glad you enjoyed the wedding. Your post (the one on scones) actually put me a little more in the spirit than before, which was not at all.

90 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) April 29, 2011

LOVE that recipe!! As a kid I used to love Ritz crackers (don’t know if you have those in Canada…?) but I haven’t had cheese crackers in YEARS!! New craving now! :D

And I LOVED watching the wedding!! I’m in love with Kate’s dress- so beautiful! :)

91 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 29, 2011

Love these crackers! What a fun recipe to celebrate the Royal Wedding- and unique too! These look so easy, will def have to try them soon.

So sad that I slept through the festivities :( Good thing for DVR!

92 Christine @ Merf In Progress April 29, 2011

They were saying on the news broadcast that it’s common for the maid of honor (the entire bridal party in fact) to wear the same color/designer as the bride. You know historically the bridal party wore dresses that looked similar to the bride’s in order to confuse and ward off evil spirits. I remember learning something about that when I got married.

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

I was wondering if that was tradition!

94 Anne April 29, 2011

Kate MIddleton looked really pretty…I saw Perez Hilton posted your recipe on his FitPerez website, and while he gives you credit for the picture, it doesn’t give you credit for the recipe…that hardly seems fair considering it’s copied and pasted…

95 Anne April 29, 2011

that’s the link

96 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

Someone let me know about that yesterday…thanks for the link!

97 Brit Visser April 29, 2011

According to yahoo: Kate’s earrings were designed by Robinson Pelham, according to the official royal wedding website. They are diamond-set stylized oak leaves that frame a dangling diamond-set drop and pave-set diamond acorn. The earrings, which are a wedding gift to Kate from her parents, were made to match the tiara lent to her by the Queen, and were inspired by the Middleton family’s new coat of arms.

maybe you can get yourself a replica! :) She definitely was BEAUTIFUL!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 29, 2011

Wow wow wow

99 Noelle April 29, 2011

That is FOR sure! I did not understand why she wore white either. Articles are being written saying she might have looked MORE stylish that the bride herself. Bah! I thought Kate’s dress was marvelous and stunning. I just thought it was etiquette not to wear the same color as the bride. sheesh!

100 Claire April 29, 2011

I thought Pippa looked amazing. The whole thing was just so classy and elegant.

All eyes on London today!

101 Lisa Fine April 29, 2011

Cute!

I have been wanting to make crackers for months, and I think I’ll try to make some this weekend. My partner always wants to have more snacks in the house, but whenever we go to the grocery store together, he never sees anything that catches his eye.

I love that these can be customized, so I can add any spices I’d like.

102 Zestful Lou April 29, 2011

Oh yum! I have been dying to make crackers again ever since my whole wheat goldfish crackers were gobbled up!

103 Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 29, 2011

hahaha this is too cute!!! I watched it too :)

104 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 29, 2011

Mmm — these crackers look delicious! I will have to sub a different flour for the spelt, but I love the addition of nutritional yeast. Good thinking :)

105 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 29, 2011

I loved Kate’s dress too! I watched the wedding while I got my sweat on at the gym, and it made my workout fly by! Like you said, the lace was elegant and princess-y, but still very modern. Gorgeous!!!
Your crackers sound delicious, and these look so easy!! I think I might try to make some this weekend because I just found some nutritional yeast that I decided to try ages ago and still haven’t done much with! Have a fab Friday Ange :)