Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

IMG 4986   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

Yesterday, I thought the tide was turning with my flu. I had a fairly restful sleep Monday night and my symptoms had died down a bit. I was so excited because I thought that I was getting over this thing!

…and then Tuesday evening hit and the symptoms came back with a vengeance. I was up all night coughing up a storm with a tickly throat. Hopefully this thing is on its way out because I feel like I am missing out on my life!

I also did something I thought I would never do…I bought a Neti Pot!

IMG 4957   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

Have you seen these crazy things before?

I first heard about them on Dr. Oz when he was saying how great they are for congestion, post nasal drip, and sinus allergies. I finally went out and got one at Shopper’s Drug Mart. You mix a warm salt water solution and then pour half of the mixture through each nostril (the water slowly pours out of the other nostril!!), while tipping your head to the side and leaning your body a bit forward.

It sounds scary, right?

But, it wasn’t bad at all. I promise…I’m the world’s biggest chicken too. It was oddly soothing in a gross way. My nose has been fairly clear and I can breathe much better when using it 2-3 times per day. I also plan to use this when my allergies kick in later this Spring and Summer.

IMG 4956   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

One thing that really bites about this flu is that I can’t taste anything. Everything I eat tastes incredibly bland and my normally raging appetite is M.I.A. It is such a weird feeling.

I have been eating a lot of Vegan Overnight Oats (with orange) mixed with Strawberry Banana Soft Serve to soothe my throat.

IMG 4959   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

This is always delicious…even with my lack of taste. :)

Since I was feeling a bit better yesterday, I started to get the baking itch. I was craving baked oatmeal because it just sounded so soothing, comforting, and warming on my throat.

IMG 5005   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

When I make baked oatmeal I like to make a large batch so I can enjoy it for a few meals! It is a really quick breakfast that reheats in a flash.

IMG 4964   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

IMG 4965   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping IMG 4967   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

This oatmeal mixture tastes really good and it was hard not to just eat it on the spot!

IMG 4971   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

If you wanted to skip the whole baking thing, you could just leave this overnight in the fridge and have a big batch of VOO on your hands. :)

IMG 4974   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

But baking it is amazing…as is this wonderful crunchy topping…

IMG 4972   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

Sprinkle the cinnamon almond topping on the oatmeal mixture.

IMG 4975   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

Bake for 26-30 minutes and gobble!

IMG 5000   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

This baked oatmeal turned out WONDERFUL!

It is like a hybrid between baked oatmeal and a fruit crisp. The crunchy cinnamon almond topping really made the whole dish. I also highly recommend a drizzle of maple syrup…it tied in all the flavours very well.

IMG 5009   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

In other news, Eric has been helping me with my vegetable garden beds, since I have been out of commission.

We measured our property line to see where we could put the beds.

IMG 4811 2   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

We placed the beds in a very sunny spot that gets over 6 hours of sunlight a day.

IMG 4815 2   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

IMG 4814 2   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

After marking the legs, Eric dug out holes for them.

IMG 0230   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

With a bit of work, we got them to sit flat.

IMG 0232   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

After we got the beds in the ground, we pinned down chicken wire on the bottom layer of the bed (not shown in photo). This will help prevent gophers from digging up into the garden. Or so they say…

The second layer we put down is what you see below. This is a Landscape fabric and it prevents weeds from growing up into the beds. You can find this at most home or garden stores.

IMG 0235   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

Aren’t they pretty?

I’m still on the hunt for a good triple mix soil. Whenever I ask a garden centre if they have organic triple mix they give me a weird look and say ‘of course it’s organic…doesn’t get more organic than this!’ I’m not sure if they are green washing me or if it really is organic. I guess I just have to figure out the right questions to ask.

I have located a garden centre that sells certified organic and non-GMO seeds and plants so that is good news. Their plants arrive around May 7th and they are going to call me when the plants arrive. :)

IMG 0234   Fruity Baked Oatmeal with Crunchy Cinnamon Almond Topping

• Garlic
  • Peas
  • Beets
  • Tomatoes
  • Peppers
  • Herbs

I need to figure out where to plant the veggies in the beds. I need to read up on companion planting, perhaps? The most I have figured out is that the tall plants go on the North side (so they don’t cast shade on small plants), plant Marigolds around the beds to keep out pests/animals, and carrots are great to plant next to Spring onions (companion plants).

Other than that I am lost!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 27, 2011

I’ve never tried baked oatmeal before, but this recipe is definitely begging me to make it. Apple and banana is one of my favourite oatmeal combinations (saying that just reminded me of that song… “I like to eat, eat, eat, eapples and be-nee-nees” haha :D).

Feel better soon Ange!

tweal April 27, 2011

I think I’m coming down with a cold or something, and that oatmeal does look really comforting. I’m all about the smoothies when sick, chia pudding would be a nice choice too.

I always forget about my neti pot when I get sick, but that’s probably because I really dislike using it. I try to get used to it but – it just feels like burny water up my nose.

As for gardening and seeds, you may want to check out Blackbird Naturals, they have amazing organic heirloom seeds and could likely point you in the right direction to find out more about planting/gardening.

Cat April 27, 2011

I had the same death flu in december for THREE weeks. I think the fact that I am pregnant added to the duration as you are naturally a bit immunosupressed when pregnant. But anywhooo back to my point. I found that I ate a lot of spicy foods with strong flavors to cut through the ick. I love peanut butter tofu for this occasion. It’s basically a soy/mirin/ginger/garlic/sriracha marinated pressed tofu cooked and then tossed with an all natural homemade satay sauce. I serve it over jalapeno brown rice when I am ill. Hope you feel so much better. I know it’s a killer.

Gina April 27, 2011

There is a book called Square Foot Gardening that is all about raised bed gardening. It basically tells you everything you need to know including a great soil mix that is organic, I think.

Mara April 27, 2011

I just made your sweet potato/banana oatmeal casserole, and I was in such a state of bliss from that recipe that I was hoping more baked oatmeal recipes were on the way.

I wouldn’t overuse that neti-pot though- I have friends who swear by it who are alllllwwwaaaayyyyss sick. I think they are washing away their good germs along with the bad up there.

Amber K April 27, 2011

Bummer! Feel better soon :)

Sonia April 27, 2011

Make sure you give the zucchini enough room to spread. They loooooove to stretch out. One year I planted three of them too close to eachother and they kept getting tangled. Also wear gloves when dealing with them. Their leaves and stems have a fuzzy thing that can make you itch like crazy :)

Hope you feel better!

Jessica April 27, 2011

I think someone else recommended this, too but ‘The Square Foot Garden’ is a very basic gardening guide built on the principal of saving space and making your own soil mix. It is helpful – but again, very basic. A fantastic read is Gia’s Garden. It is all about permaculture and companion planting. It really gets into it. I also like the old Victory Garden books circa the 70′s for great tips and drawings. The more I get into gardening the more I get into foraging for food, too! Lots of great books out there about the benefits of wild food. It’s amazing how edible our yards can be.

Here’s to a productive gardening season!
Jessica

Roz April 27, 2011

Hope you feel better soon. And I’m VERY envious of your veggie plots!!! I used to have a spot in a community garden, but we moved a BIT too far away from it for us to maintain it! I’m sure you’ll grow some amazing vegetables and herbs over the summer!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life April 27, 2011

Gorgeous tasty baked oatmeal! It looks amazing. And your garden beds!!! They look perfect. They look identical to the garden beds that I have in my backyard. Growing your own food is the best feeling ever, huh?! I can’t wait to see how your garden turns out! It’s so very exciting :-)

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life April 27, 2011

Ohh this looks so delicious! The strawberry banana soft serve is such a pretty color too. It’s funny to see Eric all dressed up in a sweatshirt and hat when I’m reading this from HOT, HOT, HOT South Carolina. I hope you get to feeling better soon girlie!

Brenda Fisher April 27, 2011

I have been using a neti pot for awhile and at first did not like the burning from the harsh salt I was getting at the pharmacy. I found Redmond RealSalt powder and its awesome. Its soft and smooth and a lot easier on your nose. I get mine from chinaberry.com

Love the way your garden is coming along. I am almost ready to plant here in Ct.

Beth April 27, 2011

Neti Pots kick butt! I first heard about them via the Renegade Health Show, but it took me until this past winter to buy one. I’m so glad I did as it has made a huge difference. I have used it with Sea Salt as well as Epsolm Salt with great results.

I’m going to print out the recipe for your baked oatmeal and keep it on hand for the fall & winter.

Thanks for posting the pictures of your garden progress. It is so exciting to get started.
As Organic soil mix, check out this article about making/mixing your own from peat moss, vermiculite and compost – a la Square Foot Gardening method:

You are off to a good start know what you do. If the plants don’t come in for another week or so then you can do more reading / researching on your garden and plants.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 27, 2011

Glad you are starting to feel better! I’m so ecited about your garden. I have a fairly large patio, but def nothing like your pretty (and large) yard. I have a potted lemon tree & one potted herb (thyme). I’m really looking forward to planting more herbs … and looking more forward to have a vegetable garden someday.

I hear that the sinus rinse really works wonders. My husband has terrible allergy issues and he uses it when the congestion gets really bad. He says it helps more than anything (other than hot tea).

Mikayla April 27, 2011

I love my sinus rinse (similar to Neti Pot but in squeeze bottle form)

I use it everyday to combat my year round allergies. Hope you feel better! Love your blog!

kelli April 27, 2011

gardening is definitely a learn as you go kind of thing!

i make a soil mix according to square foot gardening – 1/3 each peat moss, compost and vermiculite. i buy a huge bag of vermiculite at a local pool store – they charge an arm and a leg for it at garden stores.

Cherie April 27, 2011

Here’s the thing, I’ve been sick too and discovered the up side to having diminished taste buds. You can down quite a bit of raw garlic just by adding it to your regular meals, and it kicks your illness out the door.
I blogged about it here, with a link to a lot of info. on garlic from the school of natural healing if you are interested or want to know more. http://anherballife.wordpress.com/

Crissie April 27, 2011

I LOVE my neti pot! I have the same one. I have one for my daughter too – she’s 7 and used to get sinus infections every month during the winter. She hasn’t had one on over a year since we started “cleaning her nose”. She gets really excited about it, it’s strange….I hope it helps you feel better!

Clare @ Fitting It All IN April 27, 2011

Good to hear that the neti pot works! And that baked oatmeal looks delicious. A perfect breakfast to make and eat all week!!
Can’t wait to hear more about your gardening..I’d love to do it and having you as a guide will be fantastic!
Feel better!

kate@ahealthypassion April 27, 2011

your beds are so pretty I cant wait to see the finished result!

Ashley Walker April 27, 2011

Oh my G-d, the Neti Pot is AMAZING. I’ve always been terrified to try it, but I get REALLY bad spring allergies and I’m pregnant right now, so I can’t take my usual arsenol of decongestants. The NP has saved me from wanting to die. I was so afraid I would feel like I was drowning, and while I did feel like the for a second the first time I used it, it’s not bad at all. I’ve been singing the NP’s praises to everyone I know.

Oh, and the oats look good, too. ;-)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 27, 2011

I love crunchy topping on my grains! Now that I can have oats again, I have to give this a try! I usually use almonds, pecans, or walnuts… this looks SO good.
Your garden is coming together! It’s great that you were able to find a center that sells organic + non-GMO seeds. That’s so hard to find.

kelly April 27, 2011

I too have a neti pot, and have been using it for about 3 years now, it was my mom who introduced my family to it, she has really bad allergies, and we mix up sea salt, warm water, a touch of baking soda, and a teaspoon of glycerin, which helps keep your sinuses from drying out, and it works absolutely fantastic! even my son and hubby use it and it helps relieve congestion with colds !!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 27, 2011

I can’t wait to follow your garden progress!

Hope you feel better soon. Your oats look amazing, as usual.

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner April 27, 2011

I hope you get feeling better!!!

Emily April 27, 2011

What kind of wood did you use to build the beds? And what were the dimensions?

Mercedes @ Cultivating Consciousness April 27, 2011

I do hope you feel better soon! That cinnamon almond topping looks so good! I have to tell you, I was staunchly anti-oatmeal until I read your recipe for VOO. Wow, I’m completely transformed into a oat loving maniac. I seriously can not get enough. I love it!!!

saravixen April 27, 2011

I hope you feel better soon! It’s really taking a long time, you poor thing…

That oatmeal seems great though.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 27, 2011

vegetable garden beds look great…I can see Eric is hard at work. Better him than you :) Can’t wait to see what you guys plant and how things go!

Neti pots. Yes, life changing. Husband’s chronic sinus infections and issue, gone after a lifetime 30+ yrs of issues after regular neti pot use. And then he stopped doing the neti for 6 mos and it all came back. So yes, they work. A little gross and weird at first, but worth it I think!

And the baked crunchy topping.. That’s where it’s at for me. That’s really all I need. Perfection right there!

rhonda April 27, 2011

Here’s a great tip for planting carrots: plant radishes mixed in with them, even if you don’t really want them. Radishes grow much faster, repel pests naturally, and ‘loosen’ the soil for the slower and more delicate carrots. You’ll be pulling out radishes right when the carrots are old enough to survive on their own.

Also, try to get ‘pelleted’ carrot seeds. They seem more expensive at first, but since the seeds are so miniscule you’ll waste far, far fewer of them, and they come in their own little balls of fertilizer as well. :)

Email me anytime for veggie garden tips!

Mary April 27, 2011

My Mom insists the marigold thing is a myth. I think it works! Good luck on your garden and hope you feel better soon!

amber April 27, 2011

i just bought the same neti pot last week. it has helped tremendously… except for today. i am so congested the water wont even go through – ew :(

good luck with the garden beds! it looks like youre off to a great start!

Brooke April 27, 2011

Have you checked out the Square Foot Gardening book by Mel Bartholomew? It is a great way to get started with raised beds. My husband and I just finished making ours and I planted the seeds just a week or so ago and things are already sprouting. I think it will help you a lot. Good Luck.

Mama Pea April 27, 2011

I bought my first neti pot dealie with my last cold, and while I wouldn’t say I enjoy using it, it’s better than a hot poker in the eye. Not that that’s a good cold remedy solution.

Either way, I hope you feel better soon. This has gone on long enough!!!

Olya April 27, 2011

Your veggie beds look great! Hope they’ll provide you with plenty of organic vegetables.

Karlee @olivewineandfood April 27, 2011

I am so jealous of your upcoming garden! I want one so much…and hope to have when soon when I get out of apartment living.

Miranda @MirandaGibson April 27, 2011

Did you check out any organic nonGMO online seed stores. I’ve ordered my seeds, but still missing some green kale and fennel. Everyone’s out of fennel :’-(

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) April 27, 2011

You always make me want to eat oatmeal :) and from a fellow Neti pot user….it does help out quite nicely during allergy season. Garden is looking good :)

kaila @ healthy helper! April 27, 2011

I have a netty pot too lol! I have never even met any one else who knew what they were! I use it all the time when I’m sick! Like you said…its kind of gross and takes a little time to get used to but it WORKS! :)

Ffion @ Chocolate and Raspberries April 27, 2011

Veggie patch looks good! My mum spent last weekend planting spring onions, peppers, beetroot,garlic, courgettes and tomatoes, so hopefully we’ll be getting our own veg too!

Page 2 of 4«1234»