Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

I hope you are enjoying a day off today to begin the long weekend. :)

I can’t say I’m having a Good Friday so far. I’m not one to really make a fuss about aches and pains, but this cold is a nasty one! My sore throat is getting worse and worse and the pain shoots right up to my ears when I swallow. Ow. The voice is fading…the glands are sore. I hope it is not a throat infection. I might have to go to a walk-in clinic tomorrow if I don’t improve today.

The morning and nighttime hours have been the worst for my sore throat, with temporary relief in the afternoon. Yesterday, my pain improved a lot in the afternoon and I was actually able to work up an appetite for some solid food!

IMG 4791   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Earlier this week, I thought it would be delicious to make a spin-off of two of my favourite quick & easy dinner recipes-

15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta                               Creamy Tomato Barley Risotto

IMG 0200 3 thumb   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto    IMG 7824   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Using those two as my inspiration, I came up with a modified version of the Creamy Avocado Sauce and made it into a Barley risotto!

I cooked the pearled barley a couple days ago (when I intended to make this dish), but then I got sick so it had to wait. This dish came together in under 10 minutes when using pre-cooked barley! That made me even happier.

IMG 4792   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

IMG 4755   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Already having the pearled barley cooked made this dish incredibly quick and easy. Perfect for a sick girl like me!

After processing your sauce ingredients, stir it into the cooked and drained barley.

IMG 4759   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

By the way, I was also able to reduce the oil in the original recipe from 2 tablespoons to just 1 teaspoon! I simply added some water to thin it out and I was quite happy with the outcome.

Heat on low-medium only until it is just heated through. You don’t want to heat this mixture for long due to the avocado.

IMG 4763   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

Serve immediately.

IMG 4768   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

I loved this dish! The chewy pearled barley was fantastic and it was super creamy and filling.

DISCLAIMER: My taste buds could be wonky right now so don’t blame me if you think this dish is horrible. ;)

IMG 4801   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

My brief stint of wellness soon came to an end in the early evening.

After I picked Eric up at the train station, we hit up the grocery store to stock up on some needed items for the long weekend. The grocery store was bumpin’ last night! I met a lovely blog reader named Emily and I tried not to scare her off with my raspy voice!

My ‘sickie’ loot:

IMG 4804   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

= Mandarins (so good), Echinacea tea, Lemon Echinacea Throat Coat tea, Natural Choice Full of Fruit Mango popsicles (should have bought two boxes), and organic frozen strawberries for Green Monsters. I’m also drinking fresh juice every morning and gargling with salt water a few times a day. Why am I not healed yet!?

I was back to a liquid dinner last night. All I wanted was something cold. And GREEN.

IMG 4807   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

And did this Green Monster ever taste like a dream. It was almost like a milkshake in consistency.

IMG 4809   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

The ‘healing’ GM Ingredients: 1.25 cups almond milk, 1 large handful organic baby spinach, 1 frozen banana, 1 handful frozen strawberries, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass wheat grass powder, 1/2 tbsp chia seeds.

I’m drooling at the thought of one for breakfast, so I think I am going to make one now. :) And then hopefully find a pharmacy that is open so I can get some more throat meds.

By the way, thank you for a great discussion in yesterday’s Lessons in Self-Love post! I love reading your comments. wlEmoticon redheart1   Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto

You might also want to check out Mara’s auction for Pancreatic Cancer Research…I have some glo bars up for auction and there are many other fabulous things to bid on too!

Olya April 23, 2011

“When you’re coming down with a cold, all you can do is batten down the hatches and wait for the body to fight it off!” I don’t think you can rush your body to heal. It needs time to do such a great job it is doing. Keep yourself warm and take a good care. Hope you’ll feel better soon!

Jackie April 23, 2011

There are some nasty bugs going around. I think it might be time to get some anti-biotics if it’s not better tomorrow. One of my kids was sick for a week, within 12 hours of anti-biotics she was a new person. Sending you healing thoughts.

Sasha April 23, 2011

Ayurveda classifies food and fruits into different types : cold-inducing, heat-inducing etc.,
Based on that, my dad (an avid Ayurveda follower) always forbade us from eating bananas, guavas etc., when we had a cold. Apparently it can make it worse.

He would make us drink hot decoctions of ginger/garlic/black-pepper with jaggery (kind of sucanat) and milk. You can google for herbal home remedies for cold.
Hope that helps.

Embodying Freedom April 23, 2011

So awful about you being sick! I’m surprised you don’t have an iron immune system with how healthily you eat! It happens to everyone then I guess :)
Feel better soon! Also I’m curious…what are walk-in clinics like in Canada? Do you have to wait very long? I always have to wait like 30 minutes at our clinics!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 23, 2011

I’m so sorry to hear you feel like garbage! I absolutely hate getting sick. I hope you feel better soon :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner April 23, 2011

I have been wanting to make your Avocado Cream Spaghetti! I love that you used Barley with this! :D

Lenna April 23, 2011

The risotto looks awesome! I think I´ll give it a try tomorrow. I hope you feel healthy soon!

Ritika April 23, 2011

I just tried your creamy tomato barley risotto last night and it was DELICIOUS. It was the first time I made *and* tasted barley and I am hooked! It was so easy to make. I used fire-roasted tomatoes and they made the dish so flavorful. I also had miso for the first time! Thank for you inspiring me, Angela. I hope you feel better soon and have a wonderful weekend. :)

Paulina (One Smile Ahead) April 23, 2011

Get well soon! I wasn’t feeling so well a couple of days ago too, but drinking hot green tea did the trick for me. I could use a Green Monster as well though. My body needs some strengthening. Vitamins are the best! Take a good rest :]

Molly @ RDexposed April 23, 2011

I like the way your think! This needs to go on my To Cook List!

Kristy H April 23, 2011

Hope you get better soon, sounds like you have all the right remedies happening. Thanks for this recipe, i have barley in the cupboard to use up and just bought avacados and lemons a couple of days ago, i know what im having for lunch. Happy Easter!

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 23, 2011

May you get better really soon and take it as a sign to rest! ;)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 23, 2011

Hope you feel better soon! Take care xx

{{well in l.a.}} April 23, 2011

Take care and feel better soon! Going to experiment with the avocado & lemon recipe. My farm box has been brimming with both items the last few weeks! Have a wonderful weekend! -erin

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day April 23, 2011

i hope you feel better!

marla April 23, 2011

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Take care of yourself girl :) That risotto looks amazing. Love the avocado & that you were able to reduce the oil too. xo

Angel7 April 23, 2011

I hope you are feeling better!

That Creamy Avocado Barley Risotto looks amazing, and oh, so yummy!!! I love, love, love avocados!

Happy Easter!

Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily April 24, 2011

That looks so tasty. That is a great idea to use avocado.

France @beyondthepeel April 24, 2011

I love avocado Barley risotto. I don’t blend any of the avocado and gently toss it in just in cubes at the end with some fresh arugula and it’s amazing. I like to finish mine by drizzling a chipotle lemon oil at the end ( a trick I stole from someone such while back that I can’t even remember who anymore). Lately I’ve been doing it with bulgur and leeks in addition to the avocado and lemon and we’re pretty happy with the results. I am excited to try it your way and compare!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 24, 2011

mm that sounds great!

McKayla (green groats) April 24, 2011

I CAN’T WAIT to try this recipe. Sounds like an amazing combo. I’ve been meaning to use up some of my barley to make some sort of risotto! Thanks for reminding me…

Shah'ada April 24, 2011

made this last night for my avocado loving boyfriend – he was in HEAVEN!!!!! chewy and filling for sure :) as always, thank you for all your amazing vegan recipes!

Suzanne Williams April 24, 2011

Can’t wait to try this. Love avocado! Thanks for this blog. I just found it and will be returning. Very helpful!
Suzanne

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle April 24, 2011

omg that risotto looks amazing!!!!!!

jaclyn@lifeoftodayslady April 24, 2011

Feel better!!!! Gargling with salt water really helps with a sore throat :)

That risotto looks so good!! I’m definitely going to flag this as a must make recipe!

Hope you feel better and have a Happy Easter!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather April 24, 2011

The avocado looks so summer like! Another perfect meal. Hope you feel better soon girl!

Melanie April 24, 2011

I actually just made your pasta version of this and wow! I’ve never had avocado before so I wasn’t sure if I’d like it but it’s really yummy. My mom loves it too. :) Thanks and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Sarah April 27, 2011

Thanks so much for the recipe! I just made this after I got home from school (I was starving) and It definitely made me feel amazing! So refreshing!

Carol Wong May 18, 2011

I totally made this! Well, almost. See, instead of the barley I made a burrito.

Charlotte August 26, 2012

How many servings would this make, approximately?

Em September 19, 2012

Awesome. I “roasted” the garlic by microwaving 20 sec to cut the strong taste. Used Dorat frozen chopped basil cubes n poured over spaghetti squash. So yummy! I added the avo cream to individual servings so I could reheat. Avo cream c be stored like guacamole– in the smallest possible container n covered w Saran wrap to prevent oxidation. Put the wrap directly on the to of the sauce so there is no air. Or try a Baggie with all the air squeezed out.

Melissa November 14, 2012

OMG thank you for that tip! I’m gonna have to try that since I make the recipe for just myself, my toddler doesn’t like it so I end up wasting most of the sauce when I make creamy avocado pasta. (I find it makes enough for 4 servings, so I end up wasting 3/4 of it)

Melissa November 14, 2012

This looks AMAZING! I have tried the creamy avocado pasta a few times now and I’m hooked! I’m making it probably tomorrow, just stocked up on some avocados! I will try this recipe soon, although I’ll have to sub rice because I have to be gluten free.
I was trying to come up with a healthy salad dressing recently…and I thought of the creamy avocado pasta. I’m wondering if that sauce (maybe thinned out a tiny bit with more evoo or water) would work over salad. Hmmm….gonna have to try that soon!

Jessa November 22, 2014

I’m eating this dish right now. Yum! I substituted sesame oil for the olive oil to give it an extra kick of flavor. I’ve never eaten pearled barley before but I was able to pick some up at Trader Joe’s. One cup made a lot of barley! Thanks for having recipes so simple even I couldn’t mess them up.

Page 3 of 3«123