A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4455   A Mexican Fiesta

Last night, Ange and Karly came over for dinner and we enjoyed a Mexican themed dinner party! I was looking for a dinner that could be prepared ahead of time and was laid back & fuss-free…Mexican food fit the bill. This week has been insanely busy with bakery orders, so I needed something that would be delicious, but not take up too much time.

I made a DIY burrito station

IMG 4451 3   A Mexican Fiesta

I know it looks like a lot of work, but it wasn’t that bad! I cooked the lentils and beans the night before and the speltberry salad was also already made.

The great thing about this dinner is that I prepared everything ahead of time except for the guacamole which I prepared just before serving. The rest was completely finished and wrapped up in the fridge by 9am yesterday! You can’t have a lower stress dinner than that. :)

IMG 4439   A Mexican Fiesta

Mmm, it’s making me hungry just thinking about it! Good thing there are leftovers for my lunch today. ;)

IMG 4446   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4445   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4451 2   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4453   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4442   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4457   A Mexican Fiesta

We had a grand ‘ol time and the burrito station was a big hit! The burrito fillings were also great to make a big salad with. I think I will be doing that for lunch today. :)

IMG 0187   A Mexican Fiesta

For dessert, I made vegan chocolate cupcakes with almond ‘buttercream’ and toasted coconut. They were awesome! I loved the toasted coconut on top…it really took the cupcake to a new level.

IMG 4492   A Mexican Fiesta

The girls each brought me some gorgeous flowers!!! I got spoiled. :) Aren’t they gorgeous?

IMG 4500   A Mexican Fiesta

I was told that I have to keep them alive until at least my birthday weekend May 14th. ;)

IMG 4502   A Mexican Fiesta

After Ange and Karly left, Eric and I watched American Idol that we taped (Go Haley!!) and I did some Vegetable Gardening reading while Eric did deck planning…

IMG 0199   A Mexican Fiesta

My mom gave me this book a couple years ago…how did she know that I would one day build my own vegetable garden? :) Moms are the best!

I am extremely amazed by all the gardening info that I am coming across! There is soooo much to learn and read up on. While it feels a bit overwhelming, I am extremely excited to start a garden. I could really see this becoming a huge hobby and passion of mine.

I loved this quote from Shannon the other day, “Gardening is a learning experience. Trial and error. Even the most experiences gardeners have failures and successes.” and like Karly said last night, it is better to try than to never try at all!

Many of you have also recommended the Square Foot Gardening book, so I might check that out this weekend.

Have a great Friday!

Abby April 15, 2011

This looks so yummy! I love lilies–my birthday is May 14th too! :)

Kathryn April 15, 2011

Looks yum! Mexican is always my go to when friends come over. So easy and everybody loves it. I’ll have to try the taco “meat.” I’m allergic to walnuts – I wonder if pecans would work…..

I also recommend looking up lasagna layer gardening or no dig gardening. I bought a book on it and read through, but I haven’t had a chance to actually do it. The whole idea is you build a garden bed with compost materials so you don’t have to dig and till soil. I love how low maitnence it seems.
Last year I grew cucumbers in a 1/2 wine barrell with a trellis in it and it was great. I juiced so many cucumbers. I can’t wait to plant more!

Hannah April 15, 2011

Mexican food is surprisingly easy to vegan-ize! And it’s a great genre of cuisine that has protein from beans.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

yes it is…I love it!

Sarah April 15, 2011

My husband and I are planning a garden for this year. He has this book:

And he loves it! Apparently, this Markham fellow really knows his stuff.

Charlie April 15, 2011

I can’t wait to try the lentil walnut taco meat! I have been looking for a substitute for the soy taco meats at the grocery store, and I think this might just fit the bill!

Thanks!

Mama Pea April 15, 2011

The only thing missing from that fiesta is ME! (and maybe some sangria…)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

You got it!

amanda April 15, 2011

i am making this taco bar soon, i have the perfect occassion! Also, my bday is 5/14 too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

yay taurus! Mine is may 16th :) Close enough!

Maria April 15, 2011

looks like a fun fiesta! Thanks for posting the recipes :-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 15, 2011

I have about 2 servings of lentils left – I know EXACTLY what I’m making!

Dalai Lina April 15, 2011

I really appreciate you taco meat idea – it looks really simple. And, gardening is a learning experience – you will learn mother nature is in control!

Sarah April 15, 2011

Your dinner party looks fabulous and so much fun! I’m so glad you choose to share these kinds of things with your readers- I can think of several people who would love to come to a dinner like that.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

Thanks Sarah :)

stephie April 15, 2011

Go Hayley?? GO PAUL!!! (AND CASEY!!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

Yes! Haley is my Fav and has been in my top 3 since I first heard her sing :)
Casey is as well.
I loved Paul at the beginning, but I found he went downhill and he was repetitive. I miss PIA!! She was my fav.

Amanda M. April 15, 2011

Mexican sounds delicious for dinner tonight. Also may I recommend another book, “The Backyard Homestead”. It has been a great resource, with overviews on almost anything you can think of.

Jillian April 15, 2011

Where do you get your cute little multi-colored spoons? I really want some!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

tks! most of them are from crate and barrel :)

Tara April 15, 2011

I’m staring to plant my first garden this spring. We don’t have a backyard right now so it’s actually a deck garden… in pots. we’ll see how it goes! It’s better than nothing, but I am super excited to have a huge backyard in the near future. I live in California so I should be able to grow things almost year round. Can’t wait to see what you post about it so I can learn a little (or a lot!) from you :)

Baking 'n' Books April 15, 2011

Yum! You are so put-together! I don’t know where you get your energy.

I think I asked before – but do you run your bakery out of your house or do you have a location that people can go to? Do you mostly just take online orders – people in your community? Always interested in how the process works!

Beth April 15, 2011

That Mexican Fiesta spread looks great. Any leftovers to share? :)

Re: Square Foot Gardening, a lot of the information from the book is on their site. Along with some updates. I bought the updated edition of the book about a year ago. A great way to garden as large or as small as you want.

Tortilla wraps – my husband finally found those Food for Life GF wraps. Didn’t realise they were in the freezer section. Very happy to know where to find them. Now we just to have try the ones he bought. Perhaps a Mexican fiesta is in order :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

thanks for the tip…will look into their website more :)

Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) April 15, 2011

Dinner looks amazing! I am hungry now!! haha
I am also looking to start my own organic garden and feel overwhelmed – I need a book!!

Angel7 April 15, 2011

Mexican is a fave at our house! My husband loves it!

The cupcakes look divine!

And the flowers are gorgeous! Just give them a little extra tender loving care, and they might last until May :)

Angel7 April 15, 2011

Mexican is a fave at our house! My husband loves it!

The cupcakes look divine!

That Cookie Dough Oatmeal sounds so good! I am one who will eat the cookie dough batter, and I am usually not hungry for the cookies until the next day :)

I am not one to go to the store or mall just to window shop, because if I want something, then I will inevitably go back to buy what I liked.

rachel April 15, 2011

all that food looks amazing! you are a star in the kitchen.
i love gardening. last year was our first year of veggie gardening, we got a ton of tomatoes! seriously so many i literally didn’t know what to do with them all! but it’s really fun and so rewarding to know that you grew it all yourself.

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 15, 2011

Errr can I have some cupcakes pleaseee???! I love seeing pictures of you since you’re the genius behind this blog! I love seeing people’s photos–it makes it so much warmer and more personal :D hope you have a beautiful day~

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 15, 2011

I love the idea of lentil and walnuts in place of taco meat! Yum!!

Char April 15, 2011

Love all the different things you can put in your tortilla…very appealing. Is there anything really spicy here? I love heat!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

You can make the taco meat and black beans as spicy as you want them according to how much taco seasoning you add in. :)

Namaste Gurl April 15, 2011

I’m coming to your next mexican feast– that looks like a veggies dream! Every dish I love and WANT :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats April 15, 2011

Mexican buffets are amazing! I would have never though of using a lentil mixture as the filling…what an awesome idea!

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good April 15, 2011

I love Mexican food!

Nice when you can have most things made ahead of time for a dinner party. You can enjoy your company without stressing.

Dana April 15, 2011

I highly recommend From Seed to Table by Janet Haase (she is from Ontario!). The book is fantastic for learning about gardening! She used to produce for places like the National Arts Orchestra, Chateau Laurier..she wrote this book so down-to earth and easy to understand, with lots of pictures and seasonal recipes included. I had the chance to meet her at a conference and was so glad I picked this up!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

thanks I will check it out!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 15, 2011

Your Lentil-Walnut Taco Meat looks awesome! I just relinked my recipe for lentil & bean “sloppy joes” today. I love lentils + beans to make really hearty and stand on their own fillings. These tacos look amazing, Angela.

Wait tho…the buttercream frosting. I remember those. And now, I want buttercream frosting, big time!

Gardening is like photography I think…you have no idea how much info is out there til you start reading, you will never learn it all, everyone has a different take on it, and no two cameras/shots/gardens/dirt/goals are the same!

The Square Foot Gardening book is great and helpful, too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

yes gardening is a lot like photography!!!

Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries April 15, 2011

All of that food looks so delicious! I just had some vegan mexican for lunch. Daiya cheese makes me so happy.

And those cupcakes? Don’t even get me started, I’m having a major sweets craving right now :)

The Teenage Taste April 15, 2011

I love Mexican food! Favorite cuisine everrrrr! <3

Kristy H April 15, 2011

Mexican food is awesome. Thanks for the link for the taco seasoning recipe, i normally buy it premade but with those added nasties, i think i will have a go making my own.

Andrea @ Vegvacious April 15, 2011

Mmmmm….I love Mexican night!! I am so glad that there are some many vegetarian/vegan options!! Thanks for all the fab recipes.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 15, 2011

Wow! What a feast! Love the taco “meat.”

kaila @ healthy helper! April 15, 2011

I love veggie tacos! Better than meat filled ones any day! I made a batch of your vegan meat this week for lunches…..so its really funny that you posted this recipe! Now I have another way to use it! Good thing I have all the taco fixin’s i need on hand! Thanks for this idea :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

great minds think alike! heh

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 15, 2011

I’ve never been the biggest fan of Mexican, but you’re making me reconsider. You make it look so fresh and delicious!

Mel S April 15, 2011

Your gorgeous photos inspired me to make a burrito bowl bar for dinner tonight! I love your recipes, and am constantly bookmarking them :)

Ally April 15, 2011

Having a garden is so much fun! I have been growing veggies for the last three summers and before we bought our house, I had zero experience! Each year my garden gets a little better and I learn more. My recommendations are to stay small, grow just a few things at first, and make sure you pick veggies (and specific varieties of that veggie) that do well in your zone!

Good luck! :)

sonia April 15, 2011

Hi Angella,

The wraps are looking awesome, loved the different types of stuffing you added to enhance its nutrion quotient. A perfect vibrant wrap…. !!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

thanks! :)

Laura @ Starloz April 15, 2011

oh what a great idea, i havent had mexican in ages!

Page 2 of 3«123»