Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

IMG 4363 2   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

I make a lot of savoury and sweet recipes, but one of my all-time favourite things to make is a high-protein & high-fibre salad packed with veggies, grains, beans, and herbs.

To me, there is nothing more satisfying than taking simple ingredients and turning them into a drool-worthy dish that will keep me full for hours.

IMG 4318   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

I know I have a great recipe when I am excited about eating it the next day, and the next day, and the next day…and when I have to hide the salad from myself in the back of the fridge!

If you’ve never had to hide a salad from yourself before, I encourage you to try some of these recipes. ;)

Here are some of my favourite high-protein salads:

Carrot Raisin Spelt Berry Salad with Cumin and Cilantro

IMG 2787   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad

20101103IMG 9512 thumb   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

High Protein Lentil Salad

20101008IMG 9137 thumb   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad

IMG 9960 thumb1   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Buckwheat Tabbouleh

IMG 378611   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Energizing Protein Power Salad

IMG 39073   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

and last but not least, my very favourite salad, the Back on Track Wheatberry and Bean Salad!

IMG 7694 thumb   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

The Back on Track salad is probably the most popular salad recipe on the blog, and for good reason because it’s addicting and makes you feel so good when you eat it.

I was first introduced to this lovely salad this past Christmas 2010. My Mother-in-Law, Margaret, found this vegan recipe and made it for me so I would have something to look forward to for my Christmas dinner.

It was so thoughtful of her!

IMG 7606   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Well, it turned out that it wasn’t just me who gobbled up this salad; every person at our table just raved about it! Between mouthfuls, we could not stop talking about how great this salad was and I knew I would be making it ASAP.

I decided to make a spin-off of this salad and see if I could come up with another delicious flavour…

It got a bit wild!

IMG 4346   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

I made a Cilantro lime dressing and I changed up the veggies. I wasn’t positive that it was going to work, but it turned out better than I could have imagined.

IMG 4382   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

IMG 4317   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Here are the changes I made:

1) I used Cilantro instead of Parsley

2) Lime instead of lemon

3) Added ground cumin, and removed the mustard and Tamari

4) Added 1/2 red onion

5) Added diced carrot & celery (but I did not like the celery in this so I did not put it in the recipe)

6) I used Spelt berries instead of Wheat berries

7) I changed up how the dressing was made- Instead of mixing in the garlic and herbs into the vegetables, I mixed them in the dressing, as shown here:

IMG 4322   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

This dressing turned out incredible! It is smooth and fresh, with a tangy kick. As soon as I tasted the dressing, I knew it was going to work.

My secret for creating a new dressing is to add each ingredient very slowly and keep tasting as you go. Taste, adjust, taste, adjust, etc.

IMG 4336   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad IMG 4337   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Mix everything together.

IMG 4341   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

I think I like this version better than the first version! I totally had to hide it from myself in the back of the fridge… ;)  It would be amazing to use as a burrito filler complete with fresh guacamole and salsa.

IMG 4377   Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

Now go on, and try a high-protein salad…you’ll be hooked!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 13, 2011

Love all the vivid colors in this salad! Simply gorgeous! I can almost fee the nutrients and antioxidents! Ahhhh.

Kate @ NaturaStride April 13, 2011

These salads look amazing! The pictures are gorgeous – I can practically smell the cilantro through my laptop :) I am definitely going to try this one. Wasn’t a big fan of wheat berries, but I want to give them a second change in a salad like this with all the other crunchy ingredients & flavors!
Thanks!

OSGMOM April 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try your newest version of the Berry Salad. Your photos are amazing :)

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 13, 2011

Wow… that sounds like my cuppa tea!! :) And it’s SO beautiful too!!

Thanks for your fabulous recipes!! :) I’m always so inspired!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey April 13, 2011

I love the original salad, so I’m excited to try this one. Actually, last night I made my stand-by salad dressing with a kick… Cilantro Lime! And then I made Cilantro hummus. Cilantro, cilantro! yum. :)

~

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 13, 2011

haha I love that you say “you got a little wild!”

looks delish its great to have a new filling salad recipe! :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged April 13, 2011

I’m starting to explore more salads like these as lunch options…even though I’m not fully vegan I am trying to incorporate more dairy-free meals instead of grabbing a slice of cheese pizza. My body just feels more energized on dishes like this one. And of course, anything with cilantro can lure me away from pizza!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 13, 2011

These salads are so “Spring-ee”! I want to do a taste testing! I love anything with sweet potatos so I’m probably going to try those recipes first! So many options!

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment April 13, 2011

No one has ever made me regret a slight allergy to cilantro like you do, Angela! I know it wouldn’t taste exactly the same, but I wonder if I could make the same changes without subbing the cilantro for the parsley and have it come out ok…. or do you have any other recommendations for a possible herb that could work? I can take cilantro in small doses, but I have a feeling 5 tablespoons would have me looking like Lisa Rinna…and not in a good way!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 13, 2011

This has got me very very excited!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Ashley P. @ The Vegetable Life April 13, 2011

You always have the most beatiful pictures of all the blogs I read!

McKella April 13, 2011

These all look delicious! I’ve never really tried grainy salads, but I think I have some wheatberries in the pantry, I’ll have to try that this week.

Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty April 13, 2011

This looks awesome. I love cilantro. I wonder how easy it is to grow….? Might be a good addition to the garden. I may try this with a few modifications, but it sounds divine just the way it is too.

Lacia April 13, 2011

I am a huge fan of your original wheat berry salad (my kids even liked it!) and as soon as I saw the tweet come out for this cilantro lime version I ran to my computer to get the recipe to make it ASAP! Cilantro is my absolute fave! I could sit and eat it by the palm-full! And lime with it…..DIVINE!

Lisa D April 13, 2011

I absolutely LOVE cilantro, in fact, when I made your Back On Track Wheatberry Salad I subbed the parsley for cilantro! You have officially got me hooked on wheatberries (and chia seeds, and cacao nibs and overnight oats!), thank you for another amazing sounding recipe!!

rebecca lustig April 13, 2011

Oh yes, I’m favoriting this post- I LOVEEE ‘grainy’ salads! they are definitely nature’s super meals!

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 13, 2011

You’ve convinced me! :)

chloe@ 321delish April 13, 2011

cilantro makes everything better!!! I add it to salsa all the time to give it an extra kick!

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 13, 2011

All of these recipes look GOOD! I have sweet potatoes that I’ve been trying to find something different to do with. Perfect timing!

Emily April 13, 2011

Hi Angela,
This salad looks so yummy and perfect for spring and summer! I was wondering if the wheat berries are sold in the organic section of the local Superstore/ Loblaws?
I live in Milton which has the great Canadian Super Store, so I’m hoping I will be able it find there?

Ashley April 13, 2011

Your salads are stunning and SO creative. Perfect for spring/summer. Can’t wait to try them out!

Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) April 13, 2011

wow this salad looks so good! So appropriate for spring!

Jenn from Much to My Delight April 13, 2011

Oooohweee! Just reading the ingredients for the zippy dressing made my mouth water! That sounds right up my alley. Your blog is very much in tune with my tastebuds.

Leanne April 13, 2011

I made the Summer Farro Salad from Food and Wine magazine last year. I can’t wait to make it again, it is my favorite grain salad! http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/summer-farro-salad

Beth April 13, 2011

Think I’ll give your sweet potato & chickpea salad a go. Followed by the carrot, raisin & spelt berry salad with cumin & cilantro (switching quinoa for spelt). They both look delicious and should feed me for multiple lunches.

I have been looking for the Food for Life brown rice tortilla wraps everywhere: Independent, Loblaws, Canada’s Superstore and Metro. Can’t find them on the shelves (tried bakery and ethnic aisles) and the staff doesn’t seem to know what I’m talking about. What store did you find them at? Where were they in the store?
Thanks!

Abby April 13, 2011

All of your salads look so yummy! :) Can’t wait to try some of them out for a light but filling summer lunch! :)

Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh April 13, 2011

I am going RIGHT now to make it :)

Meredith April 13, 2011

This looks great! I so appreciate these salad recipes Angela, they’re perfect for brown-bagging it. How did it keep in the fridge? (Freshness-wise, not how well did you hide it;))

Ps. I usually use google reader, but I ALWAYS read your blog in its original format. It’s just so beautiful!

Julie @ Shining From Within April 13, 2011

I love the wheat berry salad! Sooo good + light and energizing. My fav lunch faire!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 13, 2011

is it crazy that I never measure ingredients for salad dressing and often serve it to guests never having tasted it?

I may be a bad host

If I invite you over to dinner one night, I promise I’ll taste the dressing first hahaha

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 13, 2011

It’s so vibrant! I really want to try this. Cilantro adds a kick to anything, I love it.

Tine April 13, 2011

I’m a huuuuuge fan of your salads!
Gosh gosh, so inspiring!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 13, 2011

Looks perfect for warmer weather! Still freezing where I am though :(

Callie April 13, 2011

I never used to like salads, but these look amazing. :) Can’t wait to try them.
Your pictures are beautiful.

francesca @ oral hcg April 13, 2011

Amazing, amazing recipes! All healthy and perfect for Spring ;)

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 13, 2011

What a great variation of the original! It’s amazing how filling, versatile, and delicious salads can be when you’re willing to play around with them!

Mary (what's cookin' with mary) April 13, 2011

I love all things cilantro lime! This salad looks so good (I def feel like I say that a lot), but it’s true ;) The colors, textures & ingredient list are all right on target with this recipe Ange. …and such beautiful photos! I need to find some spelt berries… stat!

I DLed a trial version of LR3 and am really loving it!! I know that you, Averie & Kath use it … so I just had to try. All three of you have such beautiful pictures. It’s very addicting and time consuming, but SO fun & rewarding.

Amber K April 13, 2011

Looks fabulous!! And I love how beautiful it is. It makes me feel like I’m getting a TON of nutrients when my meals and colorful and pretty :)

Moni'sMeals April 13, 2011

I am hooked based on the photos alone!

Looks like the perfect dish to me and so vibrant!

janet April 13, 2011

This looks great! I just made a glorious wheat berry salad with kohlrabi, apple and sunflower seeds in a citrus vinaigrette. Love the cilantro addition here and lots of veggies!

This was my super yummy salad: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/wheat-berry-salad-with-kohlrabi-apples-sunflower-seeds/

Page 1 of 3123»