Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad

IMG_4363-2

I make a lot of savoury and sweet recipes, but one of my all-time favourite things to make is a high-protein & high-fibre salad packed with veggies, grains, beans, and herbs.

To me, there is nothing more satisfying than taking simple ingredients and turning them into a drool-worthy dish that will keep me full for hours.

IMG_4318

I know I have a great recipe when I am excited about eating it the next day, and the next day, and the next day…and when I have to hide the salad from myself in the back of the fridge!

If you’ve never had to hide a salad from yourself before, I encourage you to try some of these recipes. ;)

Here are some of my favourite high-protein salads:

Carrot Raisin Spelt Berry Salad with Cumin and Cilantro

IMG_2787

Cinnamon Sweet Potato Chickpea Salad

20101103IMG_9512_thumb

High Protein Lentil Salad

20101008IMG_9137_thumb

Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad

IMG_9960_thumb1

Buckwheat Tabbouleh

IMG_37861

Energizing Protein Power Salad

IMG_3907

and last but not least, my very favourite salad, the Back on Track Wheatberry and Bean Salad!

IMG_7694_thumb

The Back on Track salad is probably the most popular salad recipe on the blog, and for good reason because it’s addicting and makes you feel so good when you eat it.

I was first introduced to this lovely salad this past Christmas 2010. My Mother-in-Law, Margaret, found this vegan recipe and made it for me so I would have something to look forward to for my Christmas dinner.

It was so thoughtful of her!

IMG_7606

Well, it turned out that it wasn’t just me who gobbled up this salad; every person at our table just raved about it! Between mouthfuls, we could not stop talking about how great this salad was and I knew I would be making it ASAP.

I decided to make a spin-off of this salad and see if I could come up with another delicious flavour…

It got a bit wild!

IMG_4346

I made a Cilantro lime dressing and I changed up the veggies. I wasn’t positive that it was going to work, but it turned out better than I could have imagined.

IMG_4382

IMG_4317

Here are the changes I made:

1) I used Cilantro instead of Parsley

2) Lime instead of lemon

3) Added ground cumin, and removed the mustard and Tamari

4) Added 1/2 red onion

6) I used Spelt berries instead of Wheat berries

7) I changed up how the dressing was made- Instead of mixing in the garlic and herbs into the vegetables, I mixed them in the dressing, as shown here:

IMG_4322

This dressing turned out incredible! It is smooth and fresh, with a tangy kick. As soon as I tasted the dressing, I knew it was going to work.

My secret for creating a new dressing is to add each ingredient very slowly and keep tasting as you go. Taste, adjust, taste, adjust, etc.

IMG_4336 IMG_4337

Mix everything together.

IMG_4341

I think I like this version better than the first version! I totally had to hide it from myself in the back of the fridge… ;)  It would be amazing to use as a burrito filler complete with fresh guacamole and salsa.

IMG_4377

Now go on, and try a high-protein salad…you’ll be hooked!

1 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com April 13, 2011

Love all the vivid colors in this salad! Simply gorgeous! I can almost fee the nutrients and antioxidents! Ahhhh.

2 Kate @ NaturaStride April 13, 2011

These salads look amazing! The pictures are gorgeous – I can practically smell the cilantro through my laptop :) I am definitely going to try this one. Wasn’t a big fan of wheat berries, but I want to give them a second change in a salad like this with all the other crunchy ingredients & flavors!
Thanks!

3 OSGMOM April 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try your newest version of the Berry Salad. Your photos are amazing :)

4 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 13, 2011

Wow… that sounds like my cuppa tea!! :) And it’s SO beautiful too!!

Thanks for your fabulous recipes!! :) I’m always so inspired!

5 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey April 13, 2011

I love the original salad, so I’m excited to try this one. Actually, last night I made my stand-by salad dressing with a kick… Cilantro Lime! And then I made Cilantro hummus. Cilantro, cilantro! yum. :)

~

6 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 13, 2011

haha I love that you say “you got a little wild!”

looks delish its great to have a new filling salad recipe! :)

7 Faith @ lovelyascharged April 13, 2011

I’m starting to explore more salads like these as lunch options…even though I’m not fully vegan I am trying to incorporate more dairy-free meals instead of grabbing a slice of cheese pizza. My body just feels more energized on dishes like this one. And of course, anything with cilantro can lure me away from pizza!

8 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 13, 2011

These salads are so “Spring-ee”! I want to do a taste testing! I love anything with sweet potatos so I’m probably going to try those recipes first! So many options!

9 Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment April 13, 2011

No one has ever made me regret a slight allergy to cilantro like you do, Angela! I know it wouldn’t taste exactly the same, but I wonder if I could make the same changes without subbing the cilantro for the parsley and have it come out ok…. or do you have any other recommendations for a possible herb that could work? I can take cilantro in small doses, but I have a feeling 5 tablespoons would have me looking like Lisa Rinna…and not in a good way!

10 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 13, 2011

This has got me very very excited!!!! ;) ;) ;)

11 Ashley P. @ The Vegetable Life April 13, 2011

You always have the most beatiful pictures of all the blogs I read!

12 McKella April 13, 2011

These all look delicious! I’ve never really tried grainy salads, but I think I have some wheatberries in the pantry, I’ll have to try that this week.

13 Joyce @ Flowing to Fifty April 13, 2011

This looks awesome. I love cilantro. I wonder how easy it is to grow….? Might be a good addition to the garden. I may try this with a few modifications, but it sounds divine just the way it is too.

14 Lacia April 13, 2011

I am a huge fan of your original wheat berry salad (my kids even liked it!) and as soon as I saw the tweet come out for this cilantro lime version I ran to my computer to get the recipe to make it ASAP! Cilantro is my absolute fave! I could sit and eat it by the palm-full! And lime with it…..DIVINE!

15 Lisa D April 13, 2011

I absolutely LOVE cilantro, in fact, when I made your Back On Track Wheatberry Salad I subbed the parsley for cilantro! You have officially got me hooked on wheatberries (and chia seeds, and cacao nibs and overnight oats!), thank you for another amazing sounding recipe!!

16 rebecca lustig April 13, 2011

Oh yes, I’m favoriting this post- I LOVEEE ‘grainy’ salads! they are definitely nature’s super meals!

17 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher April 13, 2011

You’ve convinced me! :)

18 chloe@ 321delish April 13, 2011

cilantro makes everything better!!! I add it to salsa all the time to give it an extra kick!

19 Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 13, 2011

All of these recipes look GOOD! I have sweet potatoes that I’ve been trying to find something different to do with. Perfect timing!

20 Emily April 13, 2011

Hi Angela,
This salad looks so yummy and perfect for spring and summer! I was wondering if the wheat berries are sold in the organic section of the local Superstore/ Loblaws?
I live in Milton which has the great Canadian Super Store, so I’m hoping I will be able it find there?

21 Ashley April 13, 2011

Your salads are stunning and SO creative. Perfect for spring/summer. Can’t wait to try them out!

22 Lauren (Diary of a Vegan Girl) April 13, 2011

wow this salad looks so good! So appropriate for spring!

23 Jenn from Much to My Delight April 13, 2011

Oooohweee! Just reading the ingredients for the zippy dressing made my mouth water! That sounds right up my alley. Your blog is very much in tune with my tastebuds.

24 Leanne April 13, 2011

I made the Summer Farro Salad from Food and Wine magazine last year. I can’t wait to make it again, it is my favorite grain salad! http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/summer-farro-salad

25 Beth April 13, 2011

Think I’ll give your sweet potato & chickpea salad a go. Followed by the carrot, raisin & spelt berry salad with cumin & cilantro (switching quinoa for spelt). They both look delicious and should feed me for multiple lunches.

I have been looking for the Food for Life brown rice tortilla wraps everywhere: Independent, Loblaws, Canada’s Superstore and Metro. Can’t find them on the shelves (tried bakery and ethnic aisles) and the staff doesn’t seem to know what I’m talking about. What store did you find them at? Where were they in the store?
Thanks!

26 Abby April 13, 2011

All of your salads look so yummy! :) Can’t wait to try some of them out for a light but filling summer lunch! :)

27 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh April 13, 2011

I am going RIGHT now to make it :)

28 Meredith April 13, 2011

This looks great! I so appreciate these salad recipes Angela, they’re perfect for brown-bagging it. How did it keep in the fridge? (Freshness-wise, not how well did you hide it;))

Ps. I usually use google reader, but I ALWAYS read your blog in its original format. It’s just so beautiful!

29 Julie @ Shining From Within April 13, 2011

I love the wheat berry salad! Sooo good + light and energizing. My fav lunch faire!

30 Morgan @ Life After Bagels April 13, 2011

is it crazy that I never measure ingredients for salad dressing and often serve it to guests never having tasted it?

I may be a bad host

If I invite you over to dinner one night, I promise I’ll taste the dressing first hahaha

31 Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 13, 2011

It’s so vibrant! I really want to try this. Cilantro adds a kick to anything, I love it.

32 Tine April 13, 2011

I’m a huuuuuge fan of your salads!
Gosh gosh, so inspiring!

33 Pearl (Crunch and Chew) April 13, 2011

Looks perfect for warmer weather! Still freezing where I am though :(

34 Callie April 13, 2011

I never used to like salads, but these look amazing. :) Can’t wait to try them.
Your pictures are beautiful.

35 francesca @ oral hcg April 13, 2011

Amazing, amazing recipes! All healthy and perfect for Spring ;)

36 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 13, 2011

What a great variation of the original! It’s amazing how filling, versatile, and delicious salads can be when you’re willing to play around with them!

37 Mary (what's cookin' with mary) April 13, 2011

I love all things cilantro lime! This salad looks so good (I def feel like I say that a lot), but it’s true ;) The colors, textures & ingredient list are all right on target with this recipe Ange. …and such beautiful photos! I need to find some spelt berries… stat!

I DLed a trial version of LR3 and am really loving it!! I know that you, Averie & Kath use it … so I just had to try. All three of you have such beautiful pictures. It’s very addicting and time consuming, but SO fun & rewarding.

38 Amber K April 13, 2011

Looks fabulous!! And I love how beautiful it is. It makes me feel like I’m getting a TON of nutrients when my meals and colorful and pretty :)

39 Moni'sMeals April 13, 2011

I am hooked based on the photos alone!

Looks like the perfect dish to me and so vibrant!

40 janet April 13, 2011

This looks great! I just made a glorious wheat berry salad with kohlrabi, apple and sunflower seeds in a citrus vinaigrette. Love the cilantro addition here and lots of veggies!

This was my super yummy salad: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/wheat-berry-salad-with-kohlrabi-apples-sunflower-seeds/

41 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream April 13, 2011

So many colours! That looks so yummy and pretty!

42 carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream April 13, 2011

So many colours! That looks so yummy and pretty!

43 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 13, 2011

Gorgeous salad! I love cilantro and cumin – I bet this would be good with some avocado in the mix too. :)

44 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 13, 2011

This salad looks wonderful! No wonder you looked forward to leftovers!!

45 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 13, 2011

This looks delicious Angela! What I really love is how bright and alive your salads are!

46 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 13, 2011

That sweet potato and warm black bean salad looks absolutely amazing! Too of my favorites foods packed into a yummy salad!

47 Golubka April 13, 2011

What a wonderful collection, every one of those just oozes health :)

48 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) April 13, 2011

This looks great- I love the combination of black beans, lime and cilantro. So refreshing!

xo

49 Laura @FoodSnobSTL April 13, 2011

I love seeing the cilantro and lime combo in things other than mexican dishes!

50 Annie@stronghealthyfit April 13, 2011

I love meals like these too. Your salads are so impressive!

51 Dalai Lina April 13, 2011

Girl, how do you have the time? You amaze me every post…

52 Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place April 13, 2011

looks delicious! and I’m loving your photography skills lately! those photos are incredible.

53 Brooke @ The Bohemian Coconut April 13, 2011

This look awesome! I can’t wait to make it. I wish I saw this sooner I just made a 3 bean salad for the week, I’ll bookmark this for next week!

54 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 13, 2011

You definitely are the queen of high protein salads! My favourite is your high protein lentil salad. I make it to take to work for lunches and often for potlucks or family dinners.

55 Baking 'n' Books April 13, 2011

The colors are phenomenal – of all your food! I always used to eat only green peppers, but now love the yellow and red more – and they really pop!

How much do you typically take as 1 serving for you?

56 Liz April 13, 2011

I’m doing an OSG tribute week on my blog (no posts yet, but two to come tonight!) and having the Club Med salad with Lemon Garlic Tahini dressing today for lunch! I have the original back on track salad and the black bean and sweet potato salad on the docket as well!

57 Emily April 13, 2011

Yum!! I would probably sub fresh basil for cilantro since I’m not a fan. I love love love all the photos!

58 Teagan April 13, 2011

mmmm I need to try both back on track salads asap! I’m still getting the hang of the whole vegan protein thing…and this sounds innnncredible!

59 Kelly April 13, 2011

I like it! As someone who has made, loved, and made again the Wheatberry salad I am sure this one will knock it out of the park as well!

60 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 13, 2011

I love that each of your photos for every recipe is different. I know you probably hear this a lot, but you’re SO talented. I too am in love with high fiber, high protein salads. They’re easy to put together and they make so much that I get to have them for lunch during the weekdays! Thankfully, I don’ t have to hide my salads, as long as I put beans or lentils in them, my bf will not dare to go near them. mwahahah!

61 Sabina April 13, 2011

It must be the warm weather or something, as I craved a high fibre, high protein salad last night and made one too!

mine had:

brown lentils
bulgar
zucchini, carrots, red peppers, snap peas, corn
dried cranberries
sliced almonds
sunflower seeds
fresh cilantro and basil
dressing: lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, avocado oil, smoked paprika

it looked gorgeous (so much colour) and so fresh-tasting! :-D

62 Eliza April 13, 2011

This is too funny, because this is EXACTLY how I modified your original Back on Track Wheatberry Salad! And I must say, it was delish.

63 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 13, 2011

I love that you said the Back on Track was your own personal fave salad, or ranks right up there. I love to know what a blogger loves most from her own recipe arsenal.

The 1st pic in the post (the Back On Track II Cilantro Lime Spelt Berry Salad)…oh it’s breathtaking! The way the light is hitting it. The yellow bowl and spoon reflecting back. The yellow + pink bowls (perfect for Easter, spring)…just a gorgeous shot, Angela!

And the recipe looks darn tasty, too :)

64 Ellie@fitforthesoul April 13, 2011

All your salads look amazingly fresh always. You’re really inspiring lots of people to eat fresh and wholesome food Ang!

65 Rachel April 13, 2011

You forgot my personal favorite…..Protein Power Goddess Bowl (with the lemon tahini dressing!) YUM!!

66 Angel7 April 13, 2011

That salad looks so refreshing! It looks like a great way to start off spring! As our almost 3 year-old daughter would say, “So yummy! So yummy! There’s a party in my tummy!” :) That was something she learned from a kid’s show she used to watch.

67 Lily April 13, 2011

I am vegan since 2 days ago (newbie alert!) and your blog had been a true inspiration. You pictures are absolutely glorious! I have been cooking my *ss off these last days and I’m having a blast.

I did your Buckwheat Tabbouleh for lunch. The taste was über-delicioustastic but…and this may be a total case of TMI!!!!!…since being vegan I had the most disgusting and foul gas. Good thing I work from home! Does it get better with time? Do you drink a special kind of tea to deal with the gas issue.

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 13, 2011

I have IBS and what has helped me is a good vegan Probiotic. I take 1 every single morning on an empty stomach. It has helped a ton!

69 Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 13, 2011

These are the most gorgeous salads that I’ve ever seen – they look so flavorful and delicious! Can’t wait to try your newest one!

70 Kristy H April 13, 2011

All the high protein salads look great and so aesthetically pleasing. I am yet to try one so i will have to hurry up and do so. I recently made your dark chocolate covered raisins, so addictive, i had to hide them in the back of my fridge but still found them lol.

71 Roz April 13, 2011

Great looking salads. As always, your photos are spectacular. LOVE the 3 squeezed lime shot!!!!

72 Audrey April 13, 2011

I’ve made the wheatberry and white bean salad twice and both my mom and meat-and-potatoes dad RAVED about it. It’s definitely one of my favorites! :)

73 Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 13, 2011

oh this DOES sound so light and delightful!

74 jodye @ 'scend food April 13, 2011

This spelt berry salad is gorgeous! I love all of the wonderful colors, and any grain salad is sure to make me happy!

75 Pam Eden April 13, 2011

The Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad is one of my favs!! My whole family loves it!!

76 Anna Crouch April 13, 2011

I SWEAR I see celery in there! But your ingredients don’t say celery. What am I seeing???

77 Emily April 18, 2011

She said she used it, but didn’t like it:

“5) Added diced carrot & celery (but I did not like the celery in this so I did not put it in the recipe)”

78 Robin April 13, 2011

All of these salads look amazing and the photos are so bright and beautiful. I’m making my list immediately for the farmers market near me tomorrow! I’ve been reading your blog for a while but don’t think I’ve ever commented. I really enjoy it and as a side note, your pictures of Sketchie inspired me to read more about Bengals and I’m fascinated by them! I run a pet sitting business in Charlotte, NC and found out there is a breeder here (www.aristocatbengal.com) so I’m going to visit her cattery on Friday and spend some time with the cats. Anyway….thanks for your wonderful blog! It’s very inspiring for someone like me that really wants to improve my “food lifestyle”!

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

thanks so much!!

80 Beth@naturallyyoursbeth April 13, 2011

Wow the sweet potato and black bean dish is definitely happening in my house soon. Your newly revamped salad is perfect for spring and the hopefully soon to come warm weather. All the colors look so festive and gorgeous!!

81 Lana April 13, 2011

This looks amazing. I actually made the FAMOUS back on track wheat berry salad and absolutely loved it. I’m excited to try this new one!

82 Katie April 13, 2011

Made the energizing protein salad – sooooooo gooood!

83 Laura @ Starloz April 13, 2011

oh boy. i’m impressed by this salad. wowzer. it pack a punch.

84 Mariah April 13, 2011

wow you are THE QUEEN of salads!

85 Mariah April 13, 2011

wow you are THE QUEEN of salads!

86 kaila @ healthy helper! April 13, 2011

That dressing reminds me of Summer so much! I can picture myself eating this on a beach!

87 rawkinmom April 13, 2011

lovely salads and lovely pics!!! I am going to try out that dressing…love using limes for dressing!!!

88 whitney April 13, 2011

I must say, you take quiet the photos! Jealous! :D

Whitney

89 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 13, 2011

Cilantro+lime+YUM!! I wish I had some spelt berries…

90 The Teenage Taste April 14, 2011

All of your salads look amazing! I’ll definitely be making one the next time I go to a picnic or potluck! :-)

91 Leslie Paquette April 14, 2011

I made this for dinner tonight and it was awesome!! I made a few changes for the ingredients I had on hand. I can’t wait to have the leftovers tomorrow. My non veg husband really enjoyed it too. I also made your spiced carrot muffins today and they were delicious. I added 1/8 cup of dark chocolate chunks to the mix and they came out perfect :) not too sweet. Thanks!! Leslie

92 Emily April 18, 2011

This was great! I doubled the dressing but ended up not using all of it- I think 1.5x the stated amount is perfect. I also didn’t soak the wheat berries (or rinse them- whoops) and it’s fine.

I also doubled the garlic for some reason- NOT recommended! I’m going to have garlic breath all week! But it’s too good to toss just because of that.

Thanks for the lunch inspiration, Angela! It was getting pretty grim over here. :)

93 Cassie J April 18, 2011

Made this salad for my weekly lunches. Had my first batch today. YUMMY!

Thanks for always sharing your wonderful creations with us!

94 Ashley April 19, 2011

Thanks soooo much for this recipe!! I made it yesterday and it is beyond yummy. And I can just feel how good it is for my body. I doubled the dressing, and it was perfect since I had a bit more veggies than the recipe called for.

I’m so thankful that I stumbled upon your website; I’m not vegan at all, but you have definitely inspired me with all of your wonderful creations. I’ve never been a fan of bananas, but I made the Classic Green Monster this morning, and it wasn’t bad at all! Next up are the Almond Butter Chews. Keep the delicious recipes coming!

95 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2011

Thank you Ashley! Im glad you liked it :)

96 Aimee April 21, 2011

I have had a really busy week and even busier day today. I told my husband that I just couldn’t cook tonight. It was going to be an easy “fend for yourself” night. Then I remembered that your Back on Track II salad was on my menu for the week. I couldn’t find spelt berries so I made some bulgur. This came together in no time at all and I am feasting on this gorgeous, delicious, healthy salad. My husband loves it too. I am excited to try some of the other salads on this page. Thanks!

97 Tim Gavagan March 14, 2013

How is protein content calculated? Thanks.

98 Mona November 27, 2013

holy camoly! We just made this salad tonight for our Thanksgiving gathering tomorrow–Word. I’m just hoping it lasts until tomorrow because I cannot stop eating it! Thank you so much Angela :D Basically our entire menu has come from your site, which we were lucky enough to find just in time for the holidays!

Much Light,
Mona

99 Filipa April 15, 2014

Hi Angela, congrats on your bump, it’s a very exciting time!
I’m not a vegetarian, but I have loved every recipe I’ve tried from your book so far. You do not disappoint. I do have some difficulty finding some ingredients. Would you mind sharing with me where you shop? I’m in Oakville and having some difficulty finding spelt berries.

Thanks
F

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2014

Thank you! Did you try Organic Garage? They might have them.