Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 4015   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Despite what you may think, living with a food blogger is not always peachy! Aside from the new dishes, plentiful leftovers, and a freezer packed with goodies, there are dishes, messes, computer troubles, steep grocery bills, minor breakdowns, and taste-testings gone wrong.

Despite all of this, Eric’s biggest complaint is that I rarely make the same dish more than once! In the name of new blog content, I try to make new recipes so I have fun things to post for you guys, but in the process I often leave fabulous recipes in the dust.

So last weekend, we came up with a few favourite recipes from our past and I said I would make a couple off this list each week to bring back some classics!

Currently on our favourites list:

The Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf, which I adapted from the Clean Food Cookbook (original cookbook recipe is here), is first on the list. Last night, I set out to make the loaf once again, but I decided to add sweet potato for a fun twist.

IMG 3946   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

How can you go wrong with sweet potato? You just can’t.

IMG 3962   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Ok, maybe there was that one time.

IMG 3992   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

For brevity’s sake, I won’t type out the entire recipe again, but I will tell you what changes I made for this version:

Modifications to Ultimate Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf:

• 3/4 cup grated sweet potato
  • 1/2 cup raisins (instead of 1/4 cup)
  • Increased toasted walnuts to 1 cup (amped up the crunchy texture!)
  • Omitted carrot and apple
  • Added 1/2 tsp Italian seasonings
  • Increased thyme to 1.5 tsp
  • Added pinch of garlic powder

First version is here.

IMG 3950   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato IMG 3951   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet PotatoIMG 3956   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 3960   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato IMG 39621   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 3970   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

We usually have applesauce and sautéed greens on the side, but I was out of both, so I made a salad.

IMG 3964   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

I sprinkled romaine with Energizing Protein Power Salad, added some chopped tomato, and homemade Better than bottled balsamic vinaigrette. It was delish!

IMG 3999   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

So which version did I like better?

The first version because it held together better. Taste wise? They both taste awesome. This version had a more crunchy and chewy texture thanks to the increased raisins and walnuts.

I’m thinking about all kinds of mix-ins you could use for this recipe. I’m sure it would work with many ingredients and it would probably be amazing with fresh herbs too.

IMG 4001   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

For breakfast, I started with a super green juice blend.

IMG 3937   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Cleansing Green Juice

• 1 apple
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 cucumber
  • 1 cup Dandelion (blended in after)

Instead of juicing the Dandelion, I blended it in my Vita-mix with the juice. My juicer (Breville Fountain Juice Plus) does not juice greens well and I find it to be a waste because not much juice comes out. I prefer to juice ‘worth while’ veggies only and then blend in any greens afterwards. I feel like I get more bang for my buck this way. The clean up for 2 machines is not great though so I don’t do this often!

Not long after, breakfast was calling my name from the fridge! Don’t you love it when the breakfast fairy prepares breakfast for you?

IMG 3939   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

IMG 3944   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Yum.

Updates:

1) In case you missed it on the weekend, I have a brand new Search bar installed on the right side bar of the blog. If you have tried searching the blog before you probably were frustrated that it didn’t work well. This new one is amazing and I hope that you will be able to find things much quicker! I’m very impressed with it so far. Go check it out and give it a try!

2) My Recipes page is up to date from the past week.

3) Check out this post for a homemade & all-natural drain cleaner (only two ingredients!) that I’m loving lately.

Happy Birthday to my Best Bud Allison! She is a new mommy, a new dentist, and one of the most awesome girls I know. XO

IMG 7647   Vegan Lentil Walnut Loaf with Sweet Potato

Marina April 5, 2011

I was thinking today how I should make this tomorrow, and now, with you posting this recipe, specially with sweet potato, I just have to!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 5, 2011

I’ve had your lentil loaf bookmarked for a while now and I think it’s high time I got around to trying it….& with sweet potato?!?? I’ll definitely be using that add-in!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 5, 2011

I rarely make the same thing twice either, and that irritates the heck out of my husband! Whoops!

Caroline April 5, 2011

Could you put together a recipe category for things like salad dressings and sauces? I know I’ve read about tasty sounding salad dressings, but the only one I can ever find is the sweet and tangy dressing because it’s the only one that appears in a post title on the recipe page!

Victoria April 5, 2011

Just printed the creamy avocado pasty recipe – dinner tonight! Thanks! BTW – you really are so luminescent…completely “glowing” in the picture with your friend. That really inspires me to eat better!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini April 5, 2011

I think it’s about time I give this recipe a shot! Never made my own lentil/nut loaf but they are sooo tasty I know it’s high time I try it!!! :D

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 5, 2011

I tried a variation of the lentil loaf last week. It was SO good! I am def. going to be trying this version too. Now I want to try those overnight oats. For some reason strawberries in it sounds so good right now.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg April 5, 2011

Ha– that’s a funny complain to have, but you know– it makes sense!!!

Mama Pea April 5, 2011

I am all for bringing back the favorites. I started doing a Recipes Worth Repeating series on my blog, but somehow got busy making new things. I need to hit repeat! My family misses the winners!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 5, 2011

The lentil loaf looks so great but a bit too time consuming for when I’m hungry RIGHT NOW. =)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 5, 2011

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan April 5, 2011

I always cook new things instead of going back to the old favorites too!

Noelle April 5, 2011

My husband says the same thing! I never make the same thing twice unless he really requests it. :D

Sophia @ Raven Waves April 5, 2011

Love that you bring back some of your fave classics! I’m pretty new here, so now I get to catch up!

Katie @ Finding My Om April 5, 2011

That lentil loaf looks sooooo good! I may have to make that for the boyfriend in the near future! Your pictures are always so colorful and beautiful! :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 5, 2011

Any recipe with walnuts and sweet potato in the title immediately has my attention! This version of the loaf looks soooo yummy!

Roz April 5, 2011

That looks sooooo good! I’ll have to try it when my husband is out of town. It’s not his cup of tea, but it is mine!!!

Geneviève April 5, 2011

You just took one of my favourite recipes of yours and made it even BETTER!! I didn’t even think that could be possible! Sweet potato is my new love. :)

Richelle April 5, 2011

I absolutely loved your vegan lentil walnut loaf. I only have one slice left in the freezer and need to make more soon. Your juice looks very refreshing!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 5, 2011

I know what you mean about not making the same thing twice…

Love the addition of sweet potatoes to the lentil loaf

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch April 5, 2011

This recipe looks great!
I wonder if you cooked the sweet potato ahead of time and mashed it before mixing it in if it would hold together better? I might have to experiment!

Charlie April 5, 2011

These vegan overnight oats sound yummy! Love the crunch part :).

Hannah @ Healthy Life April 5, 2011

That green juice looks so refreshing and cleansing!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 5, 2011

When I saw lentil loaf, my heart skipped a beat b/c I remember that was the recipe that took you like 6 tries to get it right…and you went back for more…and tweaked it, again :) I cannot follow a recipe twice to save my life.

And I almost never make the same thing….why bother. It’s used content. lol

It’s so ironic though that you posted this b/c I actually re-made a dessert AND re-photographed it over the weekend. 99% of the time I never do that. In my blogging career there are probably only a half dozen recipes I’ve ever remade AND rephotographed. It just is so time consuming!

Oh and new dishes…I spent $30 bucks on dishes last week and posted about them…and got accused of having a shopping addiction. So I laughed when I read your opening line…yes, bloggers have new dishes. It’s our “job” :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 5, 2011

Happy birthday to your franddd! Slash loaves are my. favorite. I especially like the sound of sweet when there will likely also be a salty component:)

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 5, 2011

hahhaa how funny~my fiance told me once or twice that I never actually go back to an old recipe. that juice loooks sooo refreshing….

Jennifer April 5, 2011

On an unrelated note…I made your ultimate oatmeal raison cookies last night. they are AMAZING. I was blown away! Thank you for this awesome recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

glad you like them!

Ashley April 5, 2011

I have the same problem! I make a lot of quick and easy recipes, but I can never seem to keep a list of them for when we’re searching. Making a list is a great idea!
I’ve been meaning to make this lentil loaf– it looks amazing. But first, I found out today that I’m back to work again (we’d been on a job freeze) so I’m off to make some baked vegan doughnuts!

Aspin231 April 5, 2011

I’ve been reading your blog for quite a while now, but never commented before.

That orange thing you added to your loaf? That would be a yam, m’dear. A sweet potato resembles a large, oblong, yellow potato. Maybe the terminology is different for our areas, but it’s one of my pet peeves; so many people can’t tell them apart! :-)

Keep the delicious recipes coming, Angela! I’m so glad to have run in to this blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

Really? That’s odd! Why would the grocery store label it as a sweet potato?

Andrea April 5, 2011

Yams, Sweet Potatoes…..on going debate. In Canada the stores generally label the orange root vegetable Yams and the yellow, Sweet Potatoes. However Sometimes they both ring up at the till under Sweet Potato. In the US , the orange Yams are called Sweet Potatoes and the yellow ones, yams. I would have to agree that Sweet Potato would be a great name for the orange ones as they are very sweet. I have always called them Yams. Either way they are booth some of my favorite foods.

Thanks for this site, it has opened up a whole new world of healthy thinking and eating!! Your Date squares were a favorite even to my picky husband who asked last night at dinner, is this a real mac n cheese or you “special” one. I have done so much cooking and baking from your site that I have blown up my food processor. Shopping for a new one but don’t know which to pick. I want to know how many loads of dishes get done in your house? I do up to 5 on busy cooking days…………..and there is only 3 of us. Andrea

Aspin231 April 5, 2011

Strange, strange world we live in. Oh well. :-)

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude April 5, 2011

That looks interesting! And those vegan overnight nights sound exceptional :)

Ally C April 5, 2011

So happy for the new search bar, I was having to use google too!

I’m trying to train myself to incorporate a variety of fruits/vegetables into my diet. I tend to stick to the same ones… I shall begin this week with the avocado pasta I completely forgot you made :)

I’m off to make the VOO and make some drains sparkle!
Thanks for the massive post!

Mariah April 5, 2011

im drooling over the loaf right now!!!plus your pictures are always so amazing im jealous haha :)

Alexa @ Simple Eats April 5, 2011

This loaf looks amazing! I’m sure even though living with a food blogger is hard, Eric must reap the benefits more often than not!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 5, 2011

I LOVE that recipe from Clean Food! And I like I love your idea to add sweet potato even more. I can’t wait to try out this version.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 5, 2011

*I think I love.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 5, 2011

I hated meatloaf as a child, but I love the looks of this lentil loaf! Maybe I will make it for my family in the near future…

Lisa (bakebikeblog) April 5, 2011

oooh I must add this to my must make list! Looks delish!

Susan April 5, 2011

Ange – I moved back home and am living next door to Allison’s parents again! Such a small world! My mom will be very excited to know she’s a new mommy :)

Tanya April 5, 2011

The lentil walnut loaf has been a staple since you first posted it. I use red lentils and they are usually mushy when they’re done so I don’t process them. I can’t wait to add sweet potato next time.
Love the search bar. so much easier to find recipes. thank you.

Annie@stronghealthyfit April 5, 2011

I LOVE lentil walnut loaf! I’ve made Jenna’s recipe for it before and would love to try yours- I love the sweet potato addition!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 5, 2011

Kevin and I were having the same conversation. He asked when I was going to make carob cookies again and I said uhh when I can think of another way to modify them! There have also been multiple times where I’ve woken him up at the wee hours of the morning to help me with a do or die technical situation. It sure takes a lot of patience + love to be married to a blogger.
I love your lentil loaf recipe. I still have to give it a try, but it looks absolutely fab!

Page 2 of 3«123»