All Natural Homemade Drain Cleaner

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 4, 2011

IMG_4047

This is my favourite all natural way to clean our drains! I got the recipe from Young House Love (in addition to a ton of other all natural cleaning recipes!).

First, I sprinkle about 1/2 cup of Baking soda on my drain, add about an equal amount of vinegar and let it bubble up like so:

IMG_4040

After a few minutes, dump boiling water over top.

(You can do this cleaning method with the plug in or out, it works both ways.)

Presto! A clean drain every time without harming the environment. :)

IMG_4044

Feel free to scrub away all the stains on your sink too. It removes just about any stubborn stain.

Jackie @ Baking Charms April 4, 2011 at 6:29 pm

Tell me this will work in the bathtub!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 4, 2011 at 6:30 pm

I love this! Thanks so much for sharing, Angela. With a toddler in the house, I’m always looking for natural home cleaning methods.

Lisa April 4, 2011 at 6:32 pm

When do you pull out the drain plug? Before boiling water?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011 at 9:50 am

yup! Sorry Ill add that in :)

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles April 4, 2011 at 6:33 pm

This post makes me so happy! I’m always looking for ways to “green” my life – this is perfect!

LindsayH April 4, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I’ve been told that boiling water is bad if you have PVC pipes. The baking soda trick works for “cleaning” a drain, but a drain that is truly clogged (like a bathtub that drains slowly) has to have the physical block (usually hair) removed. You can do this with a zip-tie type plastic tool you can get at a hardware store for like $2. I think the one we bought was called a zip-it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011 at 9:51 am

Thanks for the info! I havent heard that boiling water is bad for drains, but I’ll have to check that out.

eemusings April 4, 2011 at 6:42 pm

Hmm. I’ve tried this on my kitchen sink before (slightly blocked ever since we moved in) and it didn’t work. Think we need something more hardcore.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 4, 2011 at 6:45 pm

ohhh we need something like this. I am so uncomfortable with the chemicals my husband buys for our sink. He keeps buying them and I keep throwing them out! Hopefully this will do the trick! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 4, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Oooh I need to try this! I’ve been cleaning my room lately and have sort of been toying with the idea of giving my kitchen a complete deep cleaning, but I hate the idea of usng all the chemically cleansers under the sink (I didn’t put them there – my mum bought them for me. I think she thought I wouldn’t clean if I had to buy my own, but she’s not very eco-conscious!) I’m writing down your drain cleaner mix for sure!

Julie April 4, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Thank you for sharing! Will definitely use this (and it’s much cheaper than buying some products).

Beth April 5, 2011 at 9:24 am

Definitely my favourite way to deal with drains. I’ve been using this combination since I heard about it almost 10 years ago. A sure winner!

kelli April 5, 2011 at 9:27 am

i do this in my bathtub too!=)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 5, 2011 at 11:15 am

Awesome tip! I use ENJO, a chemical free cleaning line, but I admit I still use Drano for slow drains. I will definitely be trying this recipe. It feels so amazing to have a chemical free home!

Charlie April 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

Love this! Definitely have to try!

Mandy June 19, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I was wondering if this will take odor out of the drain too? My boyfriend uses soooo many onions in his cooking (kinda gross, I know), our drain is stinky stinky stinky! Even after running hot water and soap down the drain, it doesn’t help the smell that much!