Buckwheat Tabbouleh

IMG 37801   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Happy April Fools!

Did you play any practical jokes on anyone yet? Please do tell. :)

I must say I did something pretty cruel to Eric!

I’m not the practical joke kind of person, but this year I was feeling extra devious. I whipped up a couple of super salty cookies last night (I literally dumped the salt in and made sure they were gag worthy!), and over-baked the cookies in the microwave (so they were tough as bricks). And then I left the cookies by the car keys, but I didn’t say anything to him about the cookies so he wouldn’t get suspicious. I also left him an oat square when guilt started to set in (I’m a softy!).

He spotted them this morning and took both the cookies and the oat square to work, naturally. Oh man, he is going to gag when he tastes the cookies! I tried a tiny bit of the dough last night and it was so so so salty. I’m so evil.

At least he has a delicious oat square to wash it down?

Before I turned into an evil wife at the strike of midnight, I was a good wife helping Eric measure in our backyard…

IMG 9986   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

What were we measuring for?

We are putting in a SWIMMING POOL this spring!

This is the model that we selected below after months of debate and number crunching. It is going to be quite exotic looking when it is all said and done and I think it will go really well with the green backdrop of the forest. It has a spa-feel that we just love.

Sample Waterscape   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

[Source]

We are trying to decide what kind of rock display we want for the waterfall and if we want a big slide too.

NewCastleSidePool   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

What do you think? Is this rock display too much?

6inFront   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

[Source]

Ok, ok we aren’t really putting in a pool, but did I fool you? :)

If we do put a pool in our backyard, I think it will have to be this kind…!!!

Riley20in20the20kiddie20pool207 1420002   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

[source]

Bahahaa. Could that dog look any less amused?

IMG 9996   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

We were actually measuring for two things.

IMG 9994   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

1) We are rebuilding our deck this Spring. This is our next big reno project. We’re very excited about replacing the deck because some of the boards have rotted so much you could actually fall through them! If you don’t see me for a few days, you know where I am…stuck in the deck!

IMG 9997   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

We are hoping that the base will be in good enough condition so we can keep it intact. Eric has to wait for the ground to thaw a bit more before he can take a good look. Hopefully there is no rotting on the base and we can simply rebuild the top layer! That will save a ton of time and money. We are hoping to have it ready for my birthday on May 16th. We’re planning a big outdoor event with friends, so we have a tight deadline to work with.

IMG 9999   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

The second thing we were measuring for is a surprise, but I can tell you it doesn’t involve water!

IMG 99861   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

After measuring and a walk around the neighbourhood, we had a lovely dinner.

IMG 37862   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

This was my first time ever making Tabbouleh. I couldn’t get over how easy it was to make and how delicious it turned out! I also never knew I liked Parsley so much. I thought using Buckwheat in this recipe was a fun idea, but you could really use any kind of grain that you prefer in this dish.

The recipe called for sun-dried tomatoes and I actually had some that I had been meaning to use for a while now. Unfortunately when I read the package I realized the kind I bought has sulphites in them. Sulphites give me really bad headaches, so I opted not to include them in this dish and used fresh tomatoes instead.

IMG 3761   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

This recipe is FOOL proof- cook the buckwheat (or grain), chop veggies, pour on the dressing ingredients, and mix!

IMG 3768   Buckwheat Tabbouleh IMG 3773   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

IMG 37861   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

This was AMAZING! What a perfect dish for Spring. :)

IMG 3807   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Granted, I used a bit too much Parsley, but it’s all good. I used about 4 cups, but I recommend using 2.5-3 cups. I also used Curly Parsley, but I don’t think I chopped it finely enough because it was scratchy on our throats. Next time I will use less and chop it much more! A reader also said that you can add the dressing to the Parsley to let it soak in to help soften it up.

Have you tried these Food for Life Gluten-Free Brown Rice Tortillas? I spotted them at the grocery store and had to try them out because the tortillas looked so thin and pliable (two traits I love in tortillas!), and wow I just love them. They are much less hearty than the Ezekiel kind, but I love that they are a bit thinner. Keep them stored in the freezer or they do tend to dry out quickly.

IMG 3809   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Search your little heart out

Untitled   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Good news- I have a NEW Search bar installed on the right side bar of the blog.

If you have tried searching the blog before you probably were frustrated that it didn’t work well. This new  one is amazing and I hope that you will be able to find things much quicker! Go check it out and give it a try and let me know if it is working for you. :)

Happy April wlEmoticon sun   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Shanna, like Banana April 1, 2011

You’ll have to share with us what happens with Eric — love that you played a gag =)

Leia April 1, 2011

If you’re reacting badly to sulphites, why don’t you try making sundried tomatoes at home in the oven? It is cheating a bit, but they’re still yummy :)

Lauren April 1, 2011

Too funny, love the April Fool’s joke :) Love this! Such a healthy and delicious dish. Food for Life is great!

cathyk April 1, 2011

I love both your april fool’s jokes, angela! I like your sense of humour!
I put an april fool’s joke on my blog this morning but people are believing me-joke fail!!!
Please tell us eric’s cookie reaction!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

His reaction was nothing short of amazing. Full recap coming soon!

kate@ahealthypassion April 1, 2011

Yay I have all of the ingredients on hand im definitely making this tonight! I love that pool and I am a little disappointed you are not putting it in :( I have always wanted a pool like that!

emma April 1, 2011

Hi Sweetie! I so love “Oh She Glows”. You are very inspirational and I’ve featured you in my latest post – hope that’s ok :-) x

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

Thanks Emma! :) Will check out your blog.

Ari @ TheDiVa DiSh April 1, 2011

haha you are so funny :) I need to get my husband…hmmmm (evil thinking)

I love tabbouleh! It is one of my fav dishes!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 1, 2011

I love that you gave him a real dessert too, you are too nice:-)

Kristen April 1, 2011

Oooh, you are evil! But, what a great idea! I might have to try that next year (I’m not much of a prankster either). I can’t wait to hear about your deck reno! Our deck also has rotted boards and we definitely want to redo the deck ourselves, so I will be interested to hear how your process goes!

jenna April 1, 2011

you had me fooled about the pool…my jaw dropped and i’m thinkging “why would someone living in canada build such a beautiful expensive pool they could only use mayb 3 months out of the year??” :) good one!

i love tabbouleh! its so flavorful! this recipe looks great!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini April 1, 2011

your Tabbouleh is sooo pretteh!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 1, 2011

I totally believed you about the pool until you mentioned the waterfall. That seemed like a bit too much. ;)

I DO believe you that the tabbouleh is amazing though. That’s one of my favourite dishes!

Mama Pea April 1, 2011

Oh man, I love the salty cookie idea. I may have to steal that. ;)

Steph April 1, 2011

I totally believed you BUT I was going to leave a comment saying I think it’s a bit cold where you live for a pool!

Can’t wait to find out what else you were measuring for!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 1, 2011

I love the use of Buckwheat in the Tabouli!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 1, 2011

Was gonna say… a pool ? Can you have a pool where it snows ?? lol Good one Ange. you had me going for a second there ;)

Roz April 1, 2011

A pool????? OK…I fell for it.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 1, 2011

That pool was gorgeous! You totally fooled me…until you mentioned different rock formations. hahaha I think I’m going to pick up some of those brown rice tortillas, they look good!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day April 1, 2011

Do ANY Canadians have backyard pools? :)

Beth April 1, 2011

The tabbouleh looks great, and so easy to make.
I had no idea about the Food for Life Gluten-Free Brown Rice Tortillas. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be looking for them next time I’m at the store.

Amber K April 1, 2011

That looks so delicious! I haven’t seen those brown rice tortillas in my grocery store, but since going gluten-free I have definitely missed good tortillas. I LOVE flour tortillas, but those are out and corn tortillas are just not a good substitute.

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 1, 2011

I just finished my first package of those brown rice tortillas – I loved them!!

What a good prankster you are! I was thinking to myself…Geesh, your bakery must be making you a fortune!!!

The tabbouleh looks yummy – I’ve never tried making it before, but it looks easy enough to whip up as a healthy and filling dinner!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 1, 2011

That deck will be wonderful in the summer!

I eat those Tortillas almost every day!!!! LOVE THEM! :) What a great recipe Angela. I’ve never made Tabbouleh myself, but it always looks so delicious and a perfect dish to bring to parties/get-togethers.

Sara April 1, 2011

YES I love the new search!! Thanks!! :D

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude April 1, 2011

lol, when I saw pictures of the pool i thought: “That doesn’t seem like an Angie thing to do.” The cleaning would be horrible with all those trees around, haha! :) :) I’m cool with crazy rock tower water falls at hotels :)

I hope you post what Eric’s reaction is to the cookies! bwa haha! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

Oh his reaction couldnt have been any better!!

Heather April 1, 2011

I just tried the Food for Life Brown Rice Wraps, I love them! I made quesadiallas and they turned out so crispy! Delicious!

Becky April 1, 2011

Yum!!! My roommate taught me to make tabbouleh last year – she always made it with quinoa and/or brown rice, with mint and parsley and a few chopped olives (everything else was similar to your recipe). Using the food processor to chop the parsley and mint has worked for me in the past too – curly parsley is harder to manage than it looks, haha.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 1, 2011

HAHAHHA you totally had me with the pool! I was going to start telling you how beautiful that is. Good one!

I’ve never had tabbouleh, but it looks delicious.

Paige @Running Around Normal April 1, 2011

baaahhahah! Eric’s gonna howl when he tastes those cookies :-P That’s a good one! I may just do that when I hang out with some friends tonight… muahaha

Shannon@ Hungry Gazelle April 1, 2011

Oh my gosh, you totally had me going over the pool!!! I couldn’t believe you were going to put a Playboy style pool in your yard! You’re out of control this year :)

Stephanie April 1, 2011

You have the same birthday as my nonna and one of my cats! Also this tabbouleh looks delish. I <3 parsley so I don't think I'd mind overdoing it ;)

Danielle April 1, 2011

My guess is that you are building a garden/greenhouse or a shed. But I am leaning towards a garden. Also, I am soo happy about the new search feature because it rocks! Sooo much easier to find something based on an ingredient or topic!

Rachel April 1, 2011

The search recipe button works really well now!!

I must try the tabbouleh, it looks so fresh!

I hope your husband likes the cookies! ;)

Kelly Anne April 1, 2011

I think you are measuring for a swing set or play area…maybe for a little Glow baby?? :)

The tabbouleh looks great! I’m going to try it!

Maria April 1, 2011

D’oh! I totally fell for the ol’ “measuring for a pool trick” :P

vanessa April 1, 2011

I loved the April Fool’s joke, but I honestly thought when I came on here today that there would be a recipe for Pot Roast with Hollandaise sauce, or something :) Now THAT would have been funny :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

i def. thought about it…but wasn’t into the whole buying and cooking meat! ;)

SAM April 1, 2011

This morning a friend texted me to let me know his wife was having twins. They had been trying for two years to have a baby (and are pregnant), so I thought it was possible. I msg’d him back to ask why they hadn’t found out sooner, and he said one was “hiding” behind the other. When I msg’d him with Congratulations, he finally fessed up. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one to fall for his little joke.

Sam
samanthaball.ca
*Check out my Lululemon giveaway*

Ellie@fitforthesoul April 1, 2011

hahhahhaha I love that joke on Eric!! you HAVE to tell us the results :D you’re cutely evil Angela~ I know i’m such a softy too–I can never hold out a joke or trick for longer than 5 minutes with my fiance. and yes! i LOVE those tortillas! they’re so easy on the stomach too, at least for me. have a blessed day!

Moni'sMeals April 1, 2011

I like your idea to Eric to get him! I have to get my husband, he always beats me to it!

This meals is looking good right about now for lunch.

carri z. April 1, 2011