Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

IMG 3622   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

Hello, my name is Angela. It’s very nice to meet you.

Lately I’m enjoying…

• Sunshine
  • Walks around the neighbourhood
  • Bunny spottings
  • Epsom salt baths before bed
  • Homemade juice
  • Fresh hair do’s
  • Homemade Lemon Sugar Scrub on face and body
  • Purging unwanted household items for donation
  • Horses on the farm
  • Melting snow and peeking grass
  • Tea with girlfriends
  • Deep stretches
  • Anything no bake, especially date squares!
  • Colour on my plate and in my closet
  • Red and Gold BEETS

What are you enjoying lately?

This week, the sun is back and the temperature seems to be ever so slowly creeping upwards. Five degrees and sunshine? I’ll take it. And I’ll raise you 20 degrees. bahaha.

This better not be an April Fool’s joke because I’m finally ready for Spring…bring it on!

IMG 3582   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

Yesterday, I was in such good spirits, all I could think about was making an energizing raw salad to fit my mood. I always feel so uplifted when I eat salads, so I thought I could take it to a new level with this fun beet, carrot, and apple salad served over a bed of greens.

My relationship with beets growing up was a rocky one and I occasionally still have nightmares about the pseudo Jell-O canned beets my dad used to encourage me to try. Last year, I fell in love with beets when I started to juice with them. After juicing, I got a bit more daring and tried this amazing cooked beet salad at Karyn’s on Green in Chicago. Things have been going pretty well in our relationship, so I decided to put my fears aside and give a raw beet salad a shot! Who knows, maybe we’d take our relationship to a whole new level?

IMG 3626   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

This would be a good time to whip out those ginormous lunch lady gloves that are supposed to be a size ‘small’. ;)

IMG 3585   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

Creepy, yet functional. And no pink stained hands!

Oh…Eric tells me that I forgot to mention an OXO gadget yesterday. I did it on purpose because I never use this thing!

IMG 3589   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

Meet the Apple Slicer. Eric LOVES this gadget and I make fun of him for being too lazy to slice an apple. I mean, do we really need to save time slicing an apple? Are apples difficult to slice? I never see a need to use it, but he uses it all the time and constantly raves about it. I used it yesterday for this salad and I have to admit it was a bit fun. ;) Shhh don’t tell him I said that.

Sometimes I put produce stickers on it to annoy him. Remember, our war? It rages on my friends.

For this salad, you can grate everything by hand and kick it old school like I did or you can use a food processor if you have a grate attachment.

IMG 3600   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

Note to self: Figure out how to use processor grate attachment stat.

At the last minute, I mixed in a hefty portion of sesame seeds and some chopped almonds for some healthy fats and protein. The chopped almonds gave it a nice texture and crunch!

When I first tried this salad, I was not very impressed. It just tasted a bit off and the flavour wasn’t what I expected after using so many wonderful seasonings. I read the original recipe and I realized that it said to let the salad stand for about 30 minutes to let the flavours develop!

Ah, this made sense. And you know what? It rocked my world after letting it stand for about 30-40 minutes and it was even better several hours later when I had it with dinner. It was a bit sweet, a bit tangy, a bit spicy, and a bit garlicky. Somehow it just worked for me. I really had a kick to my step after eating this! I enjoyed it with an Ezekiel English muffin with hummus.

IMG 3628   Spring Clean Raw Beet, Carrot, and Apple Salad

I’m off to see my doctor about my tailbone. I am happy to report that my tailbone pain has improved quite a bit over the past several days. I’m doing lots of back stretches twice a day as well as Epsom salt baths and light walking. Sitting is not good for the back, so I have been trying to stay active on my feet and get up from the desk frequently to stretch. Today, I’m hoping to get the approval from the doc to do some non-impact elliptical exercise at the gym until I’m back to 100%. This girl needs to sweat!

Coming up: One of my favourite baked goods so far in 2011. They have no refined flour, no white sugar, no added fat, no soy, and can be made gluten-free to boot. :)

Roz March 30, 2011

Great idea on the gloves. I grated some beets a couple of weeks ago, and wow…were my hands stained.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt March 30, 2011

I am always nervous to buy beets because I don’t want to deal with the staining. I just may try this recipe out though (with gloves on of course!!!). Good luck @ the doctors! Hope you hear some great news.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 30, 2011

I can’t stop eating beets! I just discovered them somehow a few months ago and they’re SO. GOOD. My husband makes fun of me because I constantly have beets on my plate and every time we’re in the store, I sneak over and grab a bunch :)

emma March 30, 2011

Your photography is truly beautiful Angela….and I love your list. I’ve been enjoying time off work, walks with the pup, running in the sun, reading, spring sounds, being at home when my man comes in from work :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

Thanks Emma. Love your list…Spring sounds are the best!

Carly March 30, 2011

I just had beets for the FIRST time yesterday!! Where have they been all my life?!
This recipe is on my “need to make ASAP” list.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 30, 2011

That salad is gorgeous. I love the colors! Unfortunately – try as I might – I cannot get into beets. Don’t you hate when you know something is good for you (not to mention pretty in dishes!) but you just don’t care for it?!

Good luck with your tail end! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

yes I feel that way with swiss chard!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 30, 2011

I love love looove beets – I love them roasted the most!

Cindy Robinson March 30, 2011

I’m embarassed to say, I’ve only had the canned/jarred beets. But looks like the fresh kind might be in my future, I love trying new foods!
Yes, you must learn to use your grater attachment on your food processor. I never knew how the heck to use those “extra attachements” that just got in my way all the time when pulling mine out. But I shredded a whole block of cheese in 5 seconds flat the other day, it was awesome!
Good luck today :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit March 30, 2011

Yum! I bet I’d love that salad :-)

Marina March 30, 2011

I love beets, and I can’t wait to make this! Maybe stuffing it into a wrap with hummus!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 30, 2011

i’m afraid of beets too! but i do often like them when they are shredded, so maybe i wil like this recipe!

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 30, 2011

Mmmmmm I love beets :)

Michelle @ Lifewithacrazypup March 30, 2011

I need to grow some big girl balls and try some beets! I have no idea where to start and if I’d like them! Time to change that!!

Sophia @ Raven Waves March 30, 2011

I haven’t seen any bunnies yet! I’m on the lookout though! Once I see them then spring really has arrived!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 30, 2011

That apple slicer would be my bf’s favorite too. He’s totally like that. I’m diggin’ this salad! I’ve made something similar and used it as a sandwich filling with veganaise. I hope your Dr lets you get back to a bit of exercise, I can only imagine how stir crazy you must be getting!

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 30, 2011

i’ve been craving beets so bad lately!! that’s it! i’m goin’ to buy some today! :D

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 30, 2011

That salad looks absolutely gorgeous! I love beets – can’t wait to make this salad!

kaila @ healthy helper! March 30, 2011

Oh yum…I love beets! Especially when roasted….but this salad looks delicious! Tons of fun flavors in there to compliment the beets.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 30, 2011

Epsom salt baths are a great way to incorporate more magnesium into our bodies which most of us are chronically depleted from (kind of like Vit D, too) – from stress, exercise, toxins, illness, caffeine, etc. It all depletes Mag. And epsom salts are one great way to add it back in…and the benefit is muscles that function better, better sleep, better digestion, and more. Sorry for that trivia :)

I love beets! And ALWAYS wear gloves when I work with them too. Bloody looking hands for days just isn’t cool otherwise :)

Great photos, as per usual.

And the next recipe that’s a 2011 fave? Can’t wait!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

I didnt know that about epsom salts! I do take a msg supplement though and I love it!

AGS @ West With Flight March 30, 2011

More trivia: cooking your food in a cast iron skillet contributes to your iron intake.

Love&hope March 30, 2011

WOW!!! That looks amazing! All the beautiful bright colors remind me of spring.(can’t wait) Plus I’ve always loved beets, even if their just plain old boiled in the pot, there a great munchy when you want to feel refreshed! Hope it works out at the doctors!

Vanessa @ Project Zen March 30, 2011

Apples can be challenging to slice, lol. Or maybe I’m just a tiny girl at 103 pounds, lol. I always use an apple slicer so I’m no stranger to that funky object above! ;)

Thanks for the delicious salad recipe though! Everything looks clean, organic and tasty – my kind of good eats!

Have a good one Angela,

Vanessa

Sharon March 30, 2011

I’ve only had beets a few times many many years ago… and uh, not impressed. However, I was like 7 and I’m pretty sure they were frozen (thawed of course) or from a can. I think it’s time to redintroduce these (fresh) babies. I would love to try them in a juicer, they make everything such a pretty color!

Kristy H March 30, 2011

yummm! that beet salad looks delish, what an amzing colour! wish i could have a big plate for my breakfast this morning. Thanks for another great recipe thats so clean, as for the produce stickers, my partner had about 50 stuck to his fridge when i moved in a year ago, they are still there even though i am dying to remove them lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

lol nice!!! u should send them to the produce sticker collector http://fruitstickers.xost.ru/ bahahahaa

lauren @ spiced plate March 30, 2011

Oh my, how I adore beets and their cleansing properties — what a lovely salad!

Caz March 30, 2011

I love raw beets grated into salads but I’m not sure if I’d like an ENTIRE salad of raw beets. It seems a little intense for me. That being said, I have a fridge full of beets that are desperately in need of using up so maybe I’ll try it. Does letting the salad sit for a bit reduce the bite of the raw beets?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

It does slightly I think. Also the beauty of it is that you could add as much or as little grated beet as you prefer! Totally versatile :)

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 30, 2011

Such a beautiful salad! Looks delish and perfect for spring!! :D

Alexa @ Simple Eats March 30, 2011

This looks so clean and fresh. I’m definitely feeling the whole “eat with your eyes first” thing here! Gorgeous!

Olya March 30, 2011

Beautiful pictures! I enjoy the chill of approaching winter. It means lots of hot soups, warm blackets and the smell of fire in the fireplace. I enjoy being back to uni after such a long break.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

mmm fireplace smells…makes me want to have one last fire this season!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 30, 2011

I don’t think my parents ever tried to feed me canned beets as a kid, so luckily I don’t have any bad memories of them haha. :P I tried them (fresh) on a whim last summer though and I totally fell in love with them. I’m definitely going to have to try this salad!

Kristina March 30, 2011

What vibrant colors, it is almost too pretty to eat! Beautiful pictures Angela!

Hilary March 30, 2011

That salad looks delicious and gorgeous! I love beets too but sometimes it’s hard to find the other colours!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope March 30, 2011

What a beautiful salad! How neat that waiting 30 minutes completely changed the taste… I agree that it makes sense though. Wonderful mix!

Audrey March 30, 2011

That salad is gorgeous–great photos!

We have one of those apple slicer things and I don’t like it (may have something to do with the fact that I once got cut removing it from the dishwasher) but my dad and brothers do. I think guys just like gadgets.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

heh yea I think they do too. It’s like a cheap tool they can afford to ‘make’ something with. Ouch I wouldnt want to get cut by it either!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 30, 2011

oh my – this looks amazing!

hope the tailbone feels better soon!

rebecca lustig March 30, 2011

SEriously, I just adore you. Your recipes, your mind, your body and your SOUL. You are the epitome of someone who is truly LIVING.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

Awww thank you Rebecca!

Zestful Lou March 30, 2011

Oh. My. Gosh. Can I just thank you 1,000 times for this recipe. I just got beets in my CSA box and I had NO IDEA what to do with them. I see a sunny Saturday and a raw beet salad in my future. :-D

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

Enjoy!

Hannah March 30, 2011

I’m enjoying… challenging full-time work that uses my skills as a researcher and writer. Well, most of the time I’m enjoying it. Right now I just want to go home and bake.

LOVE raw beet(root)! Shall be making this soon :)

Ann Choe March 30, 2011

For dinner today i had a beet salad too and it was ahhh-mazing. I ate it with spinach, red onion, raw mushrooms, cucumbers, bell peppers, carrots naan croutons with polenta cakes and drizzled salsa on top. It was yum! I will try it with apples and grate the beets and carrots next time and your dressing is soo simple and sounds delicious! Thank you.

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 30, 2011

I love the colour of this salad. It is simple too pretty. Oh…your upcoming recipe sounds awesome! I’m waiting in anticipation!

Sarah March 30, 2011

This looks super delicious!! I’m going to have to make this ASAP. It’s like a spring refreshing salad and super lovely :)

Page 2 of 3«123»