5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

This weekend we were packing to go away to our friend’s place and I almost forgot that I promised I’d bring something sweet for our potluck breakfast.

What’s a girl to do when she only has minutes to spare?

And what the heck do I bring for a potluck breakfast that would last for a 3 hour car trip and overnight?

And also please the non-vegan crowd?

Clearly, vegan overnight oats would have worked (for me!) but I’m not so sure everyone else would be down with my craziness. I wanted to avoid that awkward moment of silence as I try to explain to them why I packed a Tupperware full of mushy oats. No one wants an awkward potluck breakfast. Certainly not me.

So I stuck to my plan and I made something sweet that would be the perfect fit for a breakfast…

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Dates Squares!

IMG 3540   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

In a moment of total clarity, I remembered these Raw Vegan Date Squares that I spotted from Karen. They seemed like the perfect treat that I could whip up in minutes, no oven required.  I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t turn out, but I was soooooo happy with the outcome!

I’m not sure if I will ever go back to ‘normal’ date squares after trying this simple version. I loved them, my friends loved them, and there wasn’t a crumb to be found after breakfast. I’d say they went off pretty well!

IMG 3494   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Adapted from KB Blissologist.

print this recipe!

Crust:

• 1.5 cups whole raw almonds
  • 1.5 cups regular oats (for Gluten-free, use GF oats)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 10 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Date filling:

• 25 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped (~2.5 cups)
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Line a square pan (I used 8in x 8 in) with two pieces of parchment paper going opposite ways. In a food processor, process the almond, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms. Now add in the dates and process until crumbly again. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky. You can add a tiny bit more oil if the dough is too dry. I didn’t need to though! Remove from processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later, and press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.

2. Grab your pitted and roughly chopped dates and water and process in the food processor until a paste forms. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl often. You can add a tiny bit more water if needed, but you want the paste quite thick. Scoop out the date mixture onto the crust and gently spread with the back of a wet spatula until even.

3. Sprinkle on the 3/4 cup of mixture you set aside and gently press down with fingers. Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.

IMG 3521   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

I am happy to report that these were enjoyed by all and there were no awkward moments during the potluck. Love that.

IMG 3537   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Have a great Monday!

Mich April 20, 2012

Thanks for this wonderful recipe! I can’t have coconut oil so I subbed it with 1/4 cup pls one tablespoon of unsweetened organic apple sauce. Worked out beautifully and gave just a hint of apple. Certainly making again.

Alison April 26, 2012

I just made a variation on these bars, based on your original. I used half dates and half shredded carrot in the filling, and 3/4 cup each hemp hearts and almonds with the oats for the crust. Delish!

Marie @ citronlimette.com May 14, 2012

Ii need to try these bars. They look delicious.

Marie @ citronlimette.com May 16, 2012

They Look wonderful.

Zoe May 21, 2012

Added lemon juice orange zest to the date purée, and made almond milk first out of the almonds, using the pulp for this recipe. Love using by-products right away! No guilty freezer bag.

Thank you for the recipe!

Les May 23, 2012

These are to die for. Try them with cinnamon, lemon, coconut, brazil nuts, sesame seed… the list goes on. Thanks for this great recipe!

Mavala May 28, 2012

HI Angela !
A huge craving for date squares ignited after seeing some in a nearby café, but I remember seeing this recipe on your blog & decided to be patient and make them myself ! They were great and definitely worth the wait. Thank you so much for sharing & keep up the great work :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 28, 2012

So glad to hear that!

Yamei May 28, 2012

Hello Angela,

What a wonderful inspiration you are to so many people. My daughter, Katie and I host a vegan cooking show on one of our local rogers t.v. stations. The show is called, Katie’s Fresh Food Adventures. We would like to ask your permission to use your 5 ingredient date square recipe on our show.

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 29, 2012

Sure, that’s no problem. I just ask that you credit my name and website for the recipe. I will have to look your show up!!

Yamei May 29, 2012

Oh, thank you so much! Yes, of course we will make sure to credit your name and website for the recipe! I know the viewers are going to love these date squares!

maggie July 4, 2012

omg these have so many calories its insane. they look delicious though.. if only

Louise Murphy July 15, 2012

I am lactose intolerant and was looking for a receipe without butter or margarine. Thank you. I have made it a few times and friends have asked for the receipe. I am now going to try put a little ginger in the date filling and see how that works out.

Jade August 4, 2012

Oh my goodness! These look gorgeous!
How do you make something as simple as a date square look so good?!
I might have to make these right now, as I actually have all the ingredients, which is a rarity when I’m salivating over food blogs! Yum yum…

alisia August 11, 2012

Loved them!

Radhika Sarohia August 30, 2012

These look scrumptious
If I make them, I’m going to have trouble not finishing the entire pan hah

Kat August 31, 2012

I really want to make these for my date-loving boyfriend. I only have a handful of Medjool dates left; do you think that regular packed dates would work?

Caroline August 31, 2012

These look yummy and so easy! I do have one question, for the oats, do you use them raw in the recipe? Would they be ok toasted for the bars?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2012

I haven’t tried it wth toasted oats, but I cant see why it wouldnt work! Let me know if you try it out.

BrendaBettina October 13, 2012

I just made these date squares and how is it even possible they taste soooo delicious? They honestly taste better then the traditional date squares( that have tons of butter and brown sugar) I’m loving these much healthier version! I’m also simmering your roasted tomato, onion and garlic soup right now… And it smells amazing! You truly have a gift and I can’t wait until your cook book comes out!!!!

Dana October 14, 2012

Holy moly! I just made these with cooked pumpkin + raw avocado as a substitute for the date filling. THEY ARE MAGNIFICENT! I did about a cup or maybe a little more of pumpkin, and one whole ripe avocado. Blend with sweetener (I used a couple Tbsp of date paste, which is what you get when you simmer dates in water for 15min or so) and your favourite spices. The avocado made it light and creamy. Delicious. Thinking of it as an energy bar – now am going for a swim.

Brooke November 24, 2012

I made these today, and they were soo good! I didn’t have a food processor so i just used a blender. I didn’t know if they were going to turn out good because of this but they were wonderful!

LittleBeaver December 12, 2012

I’ve just taken them out of the fridge…and I have to say that these are simply amazing!!! I don’t have more to say! :-)

julie December 18, 2012

made these for home and for work and they were gone in a flash! thank you again for yet another delicious whole food tasty good for you sweet treat :)

Sibel December 23, 2012

These seem super delicious but a total of 35 dates? It’s simply too much, isn’t it? I mean, I buy all of my food organic and it would be financial suicide if I made these :D

Lydia B January 25, 2013

Hello Angela! Thanks to this post I found one of my favorite desserts of all time. I love your recipe and everyone I feed it to demands the recipe for themselves! It’s a true gem. I am wondering if you know of a way I could make it oil-free? I’m trying to think of other subs, but I’m not sure what would help it to stay together. Maybe omitting some of the dates in the crust and using brown rice syrup for sweetness? Thanks! I would totally appreciate it. I LOVE this recipe and want to make it forever but need to cut back on oil.

Veronica February 16, 2013

I used applesauce & less of the oil & it worked very well.

Branka V January 30, 2013

These are absolutely amazing!
I have never had better date squares in my life.
The ingredients are so pure that I don’t even think twice
when I am eating them.
I’ll never try another recipe. Thank you so much.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2013

I’m so happy to hear that Branka! Enjoy

michelle February 15, 2013

I made these last night with a few changes. Walnuts instead of almonds (it’s all I had), dried figs for 1/2 of the dates and I used a muffin tin for single portions freezing them for a while to remove. These were the BEST I’ve ever had and date squares are my all time favourite dessert. I’m so excited about these…Thank you!!

Veronica February 16, 2013

Hi everyone! I made these tonight & I had to make slight modifications due to what was available in my kitchen. I used a raw mixed nuts (cashews, almonds, pistachio, hazelnuts & walnuts) mix, regular california dates, and then instead of all coconut oil I used half c.o and half applesauce. And for the final topping I did sprinkle a little brown sugar…it’s chilling now, I’ll update on how they taste…Hope my modifications are ok!

Diane April 6, 2013

I just made these this morning and they are sinfully good! Yum!

Wendy April 9, 2013

I have made these quite a few times and they are a regular go-to for dessert for my family. For the crust and topping we have found that we like the taste of raw cashews instead of almonds or a combo of half of each. Also, we really like adding raisins into the crust instead of dates and it gives it an added depth of flavor. Thank you so much for such a fantastic recipe and wonderful site to get ideas from!

Emilie May 1, 2013

I made these yesterday and they are THROUGH THE ROOF! So damn good and indulging, I have to pace myself. Thanks for sharing this amazing yesterday. I can’t wait to make them again.

Question: how would you go about replacing the dates for, say, blueberries: would you just process the blueberries on their own, with a mix of some other dry fruit (e.g., cranberries) and not add water?! I’d like to try that… or even apples :) Ohh! I’m too excited I guess

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 1, 2013

I haven’t tried it myself, but let me know how it turns out if you do!

Carri May 31, 2013

I would google for blueberry crumb bars…. then just use the ‘blueberry filling’ part of the recipe ;)

Faye May 8, 2013

Just so you guys know these are amazing with other nuts substituted instead! The first time I made these, I actually only had pecans on hand. I ate them up SO fast, you wouldn’t believe. I just made them again now with sunflower seeds and they are super rich and delicious. I also think they’d be good with different “jams” in the middle – apricot sounds delightful to me :)

Jacqui May 16, 2013

These are the bomb! I could live on these, however after I looked up a few facts on the dates I decided against it (kind of high in calories). They are the perfect treat. Thanks for sharing :)

Carri May 31, 2013

Definitely making these this weekend :)
Since the almonds are going in a food processor…. can I just use almond meal/flour? We like to snack our whole almonds and I have almond meal/flour on hand :)
if so, how much would measurement convert to?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 1, 2013

I can’t see why not! Its usually a 1:1 sub but im not positive in this recipe. As long as the dough sticks together nicely it should be fine

Carri June 2, 2013

So, 1.5cups whole almonds = 1.5cups almond meal/flour? I thought it might process down to 1cup? Thank-you for the quick reply :) I’m really looking forward to making these!

steve June 4, 2013

Well, I made these the other day using mostly dried apricots for the filling (I didn’t feel like taking the pits out of so many dates…..lol) with a few dates added, and they were *incredibly* delicious! What a great go-to recipe!

Alison July 4, 2013

Thanks for this recipe! A friend brought them to my house a couple weeks ago, and there were fights over the crumbs :) I made them today, but ran out of dates (that’s what I get for snacking on the recipe ingredients this week) so used half dried apricots and half dates for the paste. It’s a little less sweet, but I like the combination. Thanks again for sharing.

Kirstie Towns July 10, 2013

Your Vegan Date Bars are so yummy! The flavor, texture, are all wonderful! Thank you for all your Vegan recipes…you make me want to cook more and more. I truly enjoy your blog.

sue July 18, 2013

these are DELICIOUS and very, very easy to make … I shared them with a few people before disclosing the ingredients (if I told them they would not have tried them!) and each of them guessed sugar was in them – that’s how naturally sweet they are! … thanks for sharing a healthy snack I can make and keep in the freezer for the whole family to enjoy!

Simplehiccup September 12, 2013

Let me tell you how good these are: I made them, ate *just one*, put them in the freezer, and when I got home later there were none left and the hubby is standing there with a guilty expression and crumbs all over his face ;)
They’re *that* good.

Sarah@Kids Heart Real Food November 22, 2013

I had to check whether or not I had commented on these yet, because I’ve made them a few times. Just made them again today for a girls weekend that I am going to this weekend and was reminded how darn delicious (and easy!) these are. I’ve never actually tried a regular date square, but I can’t possibly imagine why you would need anything other than dates to sweeten them – they are pretty sweet already. I’m looking forward to giving them to my son as a snack…he is going to love them and it’s a snack I feel totally good about. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

Hadassah Rivkah M. November 29, 2013

I made the mistake of making the oats/almonds part in my VitaMix, not recommended, as I quickly realized I might have a butter (even on lower speed) so I transferred to my food processor as the recipe says! They came out good but next time planning to do processor from beginning! Thanks again Angela!! … Last but not least, I just wanted to give you a heads up that this recipe isn’t formatting to print for me, I normally print your recipes just fine. I just printed Vegan Enchiladas with Cilantro Avocado Cream Sauce as a test and that one worked fine. :)

Katie January 13, 2014

I just made these tonight and I have to say that they are the BEST date squares I have ever had!!! The whole family LOVED them, including the non-vegans. I will definitely be making these again. Seriously, this is a fantastic recipe. Thank you so much Angela!

Ibmama January 26, 2014

My family loves these! I had major requests today to “bake” them again! My husband gives them to the kids, and hides the rest! It’s a good thing we know where his hiding spots are!

Page 4 of 5«12345»