5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

This weekend we were packing to go away to our friend’s place and I almost forgot that I promised I’d bring something sweet for our potluck breakfast.

What’s a girl to do when she only has minutes to spare?

And what the heck do I bring for a potluck breakfast that would last for a 3 hour car trip and overnight?

And also please the non-vegan crowd?

Clearly, vegan overnight oats would have worked (for me!) but I’m not so sure everyone else would be down with my craziness. I wanted to avoid that awkward moment of silence as I try to explain to them why I packed a Tupperware full of mushy oats. No one wants an awkward potluck breakfast. Certainly not me.

So I stuck to my plan and I made something sweet that would be the perfect fit for a breakfast…

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Dates Squares!

IMG 3540   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

In a moment of total clarity, I remembered these Raw Vegan Date Squares that I spotted from Karen. They seemed like the perfect treat that I could whip up in minutes, no oven required.  I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t turn out, but I was soooooo happy with the outcome!

I’m not sure if I will ever go back to ‘normal’ date squares after trying this simple version. I loved them, my friends loved them, and there wasn’t a crumb to be found after breakfast. I’d say they went off pretty well!

IMG 3494   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Adapted from KB Blissologist.

print this recipe!

Crust:

• 1.5 cups whole raw almonds
  • 1.5 cups regular oats (for Gluten-free, use GF oats)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 10 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Date filling:

• 25 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped (~2.5 cups)
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Line a square pan (I used 8in x 8 in) with two pieces of parchment paper going opposite ways. In a food processor, process the almond, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms. Now add in the dates and process until crumbly again. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky. You can add a tiny bit more oil if the dough is too dry. I didn’t need to though! Remove from processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later, and press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.

2. Grab your pitted and roughly chopped dates and water and process in the food processor until a paste forms. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl often. You can add a tiny bit more water if needed, but you want the paste quite thick. Scoop out the date mixture onto the crust and gently spread with the back of a wet spatula until even.

3. Sprinkle on the 3/4 cup of mixture you set aside and gently press down with fingers. Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.

IMG 3521   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

I am happy to report that these were enjoyed by all and there were no awkward moments during the potluck. Love that.

IMG 3537   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Have a great Monday!

Heather (heathers dish) March 28, 2011

Easiest.
Dessert.
Ever.
Yum!

Christabel March 28, 2011

Angela,

These look so delicious. I love anything with dates! Do you have any recommendations for a replacement for the coconut oil? My partner is allergic to it.

I was thinking maybe palm oil (unrefined and sustainable kind of course)?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

I haven’t used palm oil before, but I would guess that most oils would work, although the coconut oil does help the base firm up when it chills! Hopefully it wouldnt be too crumbly. Make sure to store in the fridge.

Mama Pea March 28, 2011

Lovely! I’m hosting a brunch in a few weeks and I bet these make it on the table!

Jessica March 28, 2011

I made your lentil loaf this weekend…might make me a vegan…it was amazing.

Suzanne March 28, 2011

Love the simple yet delicious-looking recipe! Forget waiting for a potluck, I’m making these for my afternoon snack! :D

Amber K March 28, 2011

Do you think the flavor from the coconut oil very strong? While I’m not a fan of coconut, I’ve heard mixed reviews on how much the oil adds flavor.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 28, 2011

I’ve been meaning to make date squares for months now, but it always slips my mind. Partially because I’ve never been able to make them gluten free and juuuuust right. I’ll have to give these a try, they look so fantastic!

JL Goes Vegan March 28, 2011

Love this recipe! I love dates but I find I mostly just pop them in my mouth :) Nice alternative! LOL

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude March 28, 2011

Oh yum! Those look delightfully easy! AND GOOD :) <3

Paige (Running Around Normal) March 28, 2011

Ahh yum! I love date nut squares! :)

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 28, 2011

A successful vegan treat! Looks yummy.. I’ll have to try it next time, as my family didn’t appreciate my detox brownie nor the raw truffles I made this weekend. Balls! Haha.. you can’t please ‘em all. (Especially when your family is full of carnivorous rednecks like mine, definitely the black sheep over here!)

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) March 28, 2011

Aren’t mejdool dates the best? I love how you made these bars with so few ingredients. I stuck to five of my own ingredients this weekend and made Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough “raw” ice cream. Gluten-free, dairy-free…but so creamy and satisfying…go ahead and indulge!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 28, 2011

These are gorgeous! You’re so artistic in your presentations!

Looks like they are delicious too. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 28, 2011

Those look so simple and delicious!!!

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL March 28, 2011

I’m making these asap! Karen’s recipe definitely stood out to me. Now I have 2 versions to make. :)

Anna Crouch March 28, 2011

Angela,

First off these look DELISH! Must try!

Second, I saw this shirt online today and thought of you…you should totally get this for your hubby!!! hehehe

Katie (Sweet Tater) March 28, 2011

i just love your blog.

Janelle March 28, 2011

I stumbled upon your blog via my friend’s (http://www.recipesviabeth.blogspot.com/) and have become addicted! My boyfriend and I have already tried your holiday soup and pancakes for one and love both. Thank you for sharing your recipes… you’ve inspired us to purchase a food processor now. Do you have any suggestions on a good food processor? Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

I have a 12-cup Kitchen Aid, so far I am fairly happy for it, although I think it should process better (faster, etc) for the price it was!

Thanks for your kind words!

Terezka March 28, 2011

Angela,
what do your portion sizes usually look like? And how much do you usually eat in restaurants? My new job requires me to eat out a lot, and I am afraid that I will get used to larger portions over time without even realizing it.
Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

Portion sizes are really hard for me to estimate because I typically don’t measure my portions unless when using a recipe. I let my hunger guide me, and try to focus on eating natural foods 90% of the time, with room for other stuff as I crave it too. Restaurants can be tricky, we don’t eat out much, but when I do I typically try to bring a doggie bag home if possible.

Sophia @ Raven Waves March 28, 2011

I’m not a vegan, but I can definitely appreciate good food! :)

Jen March 28, 2011

This looks delish! I don’t typically keep coconut oil at home–do you know if canola oil would also work as well? Thanks!
Jen

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 28, 2011

I would guess that any oil would do, although they might not firm up as much as with coconut oil (as it hardens). The flavour would also differ. These had a light coconut flavour that went really well with the square. Enjoy!

Kata March 28, 2011

Wow, these look awesome. I will try to make them at the weekend for sure. Thanks for sharing :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 28, 2011

Angela, these look awesome! I love making things with almonds + dates b/c they are so easy, versatile and really just as good as their nonvegan counterparts in so many dessert recipes and applications.

I make a raw/no-bake vegan apple crumble that uses dates, oats, almonds in much of the way you did for both the crust and the filling, but I also add apples, brown sugar, cinnamon and agave to it all. It’s better than baked apple crumbles, and it’s vegan, gf, no bake…and every time I make it, ppl say they wouldnt go back to regular crumbles.

I love that your date squares are the same! I will look for the pics on FG & TS :) Beautiful!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA March 28, 2011

Those look great! I love dates. I’m glad everyone liked them. I think dates are delicious but sometimes people don’t want to try them just because how they look.

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 28, 2011

ahhh I’ve been craving some kind of almond meal type cookie or bar!! this looks great~and I love how pretty and magazine worthy they look :D have a wonderful day!

Megan (Braise The Roof) March 28, 2011

Wow, that is impressive to come up with at the last minute! I probably would’ve brought…fruit salad or something. :) They look delicious!

Namaste Gurl March 28, 2011

Oohhh, looks relatively easy and oh- so yummy! Well done :)

Freya March 28, 2011

I adore dates in all forms. As a twist, I recommend putting some lemon, or even better lime juice (just a bit) into the date mixture. The sharpness works really well with the dates’ sweetness. I also do this when making apple sauce.

Lauren March 28, 2011

Oh I’m a date fanatic! I guess I need to start buying them in bulk, huh? I would adore a peanut version of this.. Mmm-mmm-mmmm!

Roz March 28, 2011

Thank you for this recipe. Your friends are VERY lucky!!!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 28, 2011

LOLing at the “awkward potluck” these look fantastic! they remind me of a vegan apple square I had the other day! it was delicious, as I’m sure this one is :)

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher March 28, 2011

Your no bake recipes always amaze me, Angela. I really need to make one, like tomorrow!

Leah March 28, 2011

Those look yummy! Too bad I can’t take them to most family functions – must watch for the Coconut Allergy!

Guess I’ll need to make them for at home!

Lee March 28, 2011

Fantastic recipe! Your healthy desserts always inspire me in the kitchen….I need to start making more sweets!

MorgzSyd March 28, 2011

i have never made raw or vegan desserts before, what do you think would be an easy starting point? every time i come to your blog i remember that i have to make those donuts!

visit my blog
chanelandolivia.wordpress.com

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 28, 2011

wow -w hat a great idea!

amanda March 28, 2011

I made these as soon as I saw this post. My husband and I loved them! I will definitely make these again! Thanks Angela.

kaila @ healthy helper! March 28, 2011

Wow these look yummy! And I just happen to have all those ingredients on hand…perfect!

LauraJayne March 28, 2011

This is the perfect recipe – I love that there is no added sugar! They sound like dessert to me, and I can’t wait to make them (and not for anyone else, just for me!).

Hilary March 28, 2011

Mmmmm…I LOVE date squares….YUM! And much less awkward than VOO…haha.

Page 2 of 5«12345»