Getting My Glow On

I’ve been doing a lot of this

yogi6   Getting My Glow On

Sadly, not any of this

img 5552   Getting My Glow On

Amazingly, I even miss this

IMG 9429 thumb   Getting My Glow On

But I have been giggling at this

Untitled   Getting My Glow On

That would be Bryan Kest Power Yoga in all his 80’s cut off jeans and Long John glory! As much as I make fun of the cheese factor in this video, Bryan has a wonderful, laid-back, do-only-what-you-can approach to yoga that I adore. He removes the intimidation factor.

I’m also doing a lot of these amazing back poses from Yoga Journal too.

I made an appointment next Wednesday with my doctor for my sore tailbone. It’s feeling a bit better now (with lingering tenderness), but I figure I should get it checked out in case I need an X-ray or physical therapy for it.

Not being able to do cardio exercise is torture for me though. I’m going stir crazy!

As per my Spring goal, I’ve been drinking a lot of fresh juice this week. It feels so good have the juicer back in my life.

IMG 3385   Getting My Glow On

Glowing Sunshine Juice

Ingredients
  • 1 grapefruit, peeled
  • 4 medium carrots
  • fresh ginger (approximately 1/2-inch piece)
  • 1/4 tsp raw maca powder (optional)

Check it out on the Foodthinkers website here.

4417543180 edec3d6050   Getting My Glow On

I start my morning off with a fresh juice and then have breakfast about 30 minutes later. It makes breakfast extra delicious. :)

IMG 3345   Getting My Glow On

When I make juices, I never set out thinking of a ‘recipe’ or ‘flavour’ like I might with my other recipes. I usually just take whatever old veggies we have lying around and throw them in. I buy the old/discounted fruit and veggies from our grocery store specifically for juicing.

IMG 3249   Getting My Glow On IMG 3276   Getting My Glow On

Lately I have been juicing with beets (responsible for that beautiful pink colour!), lemons, lime, carrots, ginger, grapefruit, apples (rarely), cucumbers, celery.

IMG 3275   Getting My Glow On

I think this one above was: 1/2 beet, 2 carrots, 1/2 English cucumber, 1/2 grapefruit, 1/2 inch piece ginger. It is not very sweet, but I don’t juice with sweet fruits very much (prefer to eat them!). If you like it sweet, add an apple or pear.

I also made Chocolate macaroons adding 1/3 cup of cocoa powder in the recipe I adapted from Healthy Hoggin.

IMG 3433   Getting My Glow On

The chocolate ones were good, but we both prefer the vanilla ones!

Last night we also made Nut Butter Crusted Parsnip fries. I TRIPLED the recipe this time because we had a friend over to watch the game. They did not last long!

IMG 3390 2   Getting My Glow On

Along with our favourite brew- Mill Street Organic.

IMG 3416   Getting My Glow On

Have a great Saturday!

barefoot and frolicking March 26, 2011

Lovely post and beautiful photos Angela – juicing is so wonderful in the Spring! Hope you are feeling better soon. Oh, and I nominated you for a blog award because ohsheglows is just so inspiring! Have a wonderful weekend :) http://barefootandfrolicking.blogspot.com/2011/03/one-lovely-blog-award.html

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 26, 2011

I remember those parsnip fries from a year ago! You know why? Because I made carrot fries that were similar to that and ended up burning my creation and basically smelling the smell of charred peanut butter in my house for about 3 days. lol.

And, I also saw your parsnip fries on FG yesterday. Congrats :)

Preferring blond to chocolate macaroons…me too!

Your tailbone situation. I am so sorry, Angela, that you’re dealing with this. What a frustrating injury. In the meantime, yoga is awesome and so happy that you’re able to get your yoga on. With a 1986 Bryan Kest and all. Classic :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

Thanks Averie!

I tried it with carrot fries and it didnt work for me either! Even the sweet potatoes werent great. Wonder why! I guess they cant handle the nut butter lovin’ ;)

PS- I made cheezy kale chips tonight and adapted your recipe and another one I found online…oh my gosh they were amazing!!!! Can’t wait to blog about them :)

Nicole March 26, 2011

I LOVE the idea of juicing, but the unknown has held me back from diving in. I trust it’d be amaaazing but I… I…. I’m nervous! I think it’s the fact that if I don’t love the flavor, I will end up with a veg puree that might go to waste. I guess I could always make a soup in the end! Okay, you’ve convinced me, my goal is to juice up some veggies thiiiiis week! Gracias! Have a wonderful weekend!

Sabina March 26, 2011

Mill Street Organic is my go-to beer! I love how light it is.

here’s the thing – a friend suggested that I try beers that have no/very little preservatives, as that’s what she thought was causing me grief (read: feeling awful the next day after 2 beers). lo and behold, pas des problemes avec Mill Street Organic. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

same with us! We havent had a hangover since we started drinking it. Eric’s brother got us hooked on it when he told us that and we’ve been drinking it ever since. I just heard there is a new organic raspberry flavour out (but I forget the brand) Ill have to find it!

Kelly March 26, 2011

So sorry about your tailbone…that is a nasty injury! Boo! On a happy note though, your juices are amazing in color. Simply stunning!

Katie @ NaturaStride March 26, 2011

Glowing sunshine juice looks amazing! Just added grapefruit and carrots to my grocery list…
Good luck with the tailbone – rest is key! Take the time you need. Good for you for staying active with yoga!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 26, 2011

Okay, the second post I’ve read today about juice….I’m going to pull out my juicer now and get me some green!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 26, 2011

I hope your tailbone feels better soon Ange! All that yoga and juice has gotta be doing your body good. I don’t have a juicer yet, but I’m considering one as my next kitchen gadget. What do you prefer, juices or smoothies? I hope you’re having a great Saturday too! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

I prefer smoothies :) Only because they are less clean up and less waste :)

JL goes Vegan March 26, 2011

Gorgeous juices, Angela! I’ve been juicing and drinking smoothies five days a week for the past few months. Such great energy at work! I love the bright orange citrus/carrot juice. Will definitely try that!

So sorry about your set back on training. You were targeting an April half-marathon — is that off for you? i was supposed to run a half next Sunday but, honestly, I lost my training mojo somewhere this winter, probably in a big snow bank somewhere. I’m bagging the race and now targeting a simple, short sprint distance triathlon for July. Anyway, hope you’re feeling better and back to the training you love soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

Yea I was planning for beginning of April half. Doesn’t look like that will be happening…but what can ya do! I was already up to my last long run too. Such is life I guess!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 26, 2011

I would be going a little crazy too if I couldn’t do cardio! I hope your tailbone feels better soon. :)

Amber K March 26, 2011

Those juices are beautiful! Totally love the fresh colors. I hate not being able to do cardio. When I had plantar facitis I went crazy, I had all of this pent up energy and couldn’t get rid of it. I hope you feel much better soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

that is exactly how i feel…i just pace around the house lol..

kate@ahealthypassion March 26, 2011

This juice looks beautiful I have been juicing a lot more lately and I absolutely love the way it makes me feel. So light and refreshing :)

Kat March 26, 2011

Angela;

What brand juicer do you use?

Kp

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

Its a Breville fountain juice plus :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 26, 2011

It’s good that you’re listening to your body and not pushing it to run when your tailbone is hurting. I know SO many runners that would just run regardless and end up hurting themselves further (6 months ago I was totally that runner).
Those parsnip fries look good. I hate parsnips but maybe with all the nut butter goodness they wouldn’t taste like parsnips?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

I find that they really hide the parsnip flavour! I just love them :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 26, 2011

Woah those parsnip fries look AMAZING!! I have to try that recipe!

Maria March 26, 2011

Thanks for posting some juice recipes! I’ve been trying to make more juices and smoothies in the morning, especially as it starts to warm up.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 26, 2011

at least you are eating well! As long as you are eating well and keeping up with yoga, you will get back into your running with no problem, I’m sure. I’m jealous of your juicer!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2011

thanks for your encouragement! :)

Andrea @ Vegvacious March 26, 2011

My first few juicing attempts weren’t overly delicious, so I’ve switched back to smoothies. I’ve never tried grapefruit and I love grapefruit, so I think I need to start experimenting with different fruits because your juices looks so pretty and delicious!!

Hope your tailbone is feeling better soon!

Little Miss Runshine March 26, 2011

Super cute pink top!!!

Those juices are so colorful and springy! I want!!!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 26, 2011

I feel your tail bone pain! I have bruised mine many times from falling on figure skating jumps. Even sitting hurt! I found that putting a warm pad on it really helped

colleen March 26, 2011

HAHA. I have that same yoga DVD. I have always gotten a kick out of his outfit & hair!

Ashley March 26, 2011

Your juice photos are freaking gorgeous!! Love that pink tank too…hope your tailbone is better soon!! xo

Richelle March 26, 2011

I feel your pain not being able to run. I hope you’re feeling better soon! I think yoga is a good to do in the meantime. Love all the colorful pictures of your juices. That’s something I would like to try someday, as well as those macaroons.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday March 26, 2011

I LOVE Bryan Kest. I did the Advanced Power Yoga routine today actually! He totally reminds me of Adam Sandler because of the way he talks and the things he says “…it feels like you’re making love to your own back muscles…”
wtf?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 26, 2011

I have been without a juicer for about 6 months because mine broke, but my new one just arrived in the mail yesterday :-) I made a fresh juice this morning and loved it. My favourite combination is pink grapefruit with a bell pepper (any colour).

kaila @ healthy helper! March 26, 2011

Sounds like a great night! Macaroons and nut butter fries?….sign me up!

Alaina March 26, 2011

Those colors are gorgeous! Definitely has me pining for spring. :-)

Hope you feel better!! I definitely need to more yoga too, now that I’m running more.

Gina March 26, 2011

Hey Angela – I am going through yoga teacher training right now and wanted to suggest a couple things to try during your yoga practice. I had a lower back injury last month that I had to work with for about 5 weeks, and I’m not totally sure it is the same pain you are experiencing (disclaimer!) but here goes! In any type of forward fold (standing, seated, downdog, etc) tilt your pelvis up so that you are sticking your butt out more. This will lengthen your lumbar spine and may take some pressure off. Another way to do this is to stick a block or rolled up towel between your thighs and squeeze…this action helps to open up your sits bones by spinning your thighs inward, relieving pressure in the lumbar spine. Also, belly backbends really help to strengthen the muscles around the lower spine (just make sure you use the same action of spinning your baby toes to the floor to rotate thighs inward, engaging the legs, and titling your pelvis to create space in the lumbar spine.) I hope you are feeling better soon:)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

thanks Gina!

Hanna March 26, 2011

Those juices look delicious! So colorful : ) What kind of juicer do you use?

Stacy March 26, 2011

Prettiest juices EVER! Especially loving the pink one! =)

Freya March 27, 2011

On the upside, I love your pink lulu top!

Steph March 27, 2011

Oh I hope you feel better soon…. I fell over snowboarding and my tailbone was sore for about a month, it’s one of those funny things that takes forever to heal. Sending you get well vibes!

Alexis March 27, 2011

Any recommendations on juicers? I have a small apartment with limited storage and easy clean up is a must! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

I have the breville fountain juice plus…its not small by any means!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit March 27, 2011

I love any and all things 80′s. I may need to purchase this yoga DVD. Does it come on DVD or is it VHS? I get a channel called FitTV, well, it just changed to fit & health and they have Gilda’s Bodies in Motions workout show which look like they take place in the late 80′s. Classic short shorts scrunch sox and leotards!

Mel S March 27, 2011

I feel your pain! I couldn’t run my first 1/2 marathon last year due to a stress fracture from too much training. Hopefully this spring i will complete my first 1/2! I would recommend pressing for an xray. If it comes back negative and you are still feeling pain, I would request a bone scan. They are more sensitive than xrays for smaller fractures. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Jen March 27, 2011

Beautiful juices. The green one is the best :D

Jenny March 27, 2011

I love the workout top! The juices look GREAT!:)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 27, 2011

Parsnip Fries!!!! Do Parsnips taste similar to carrots? I have been dying to try parsnips. Would you recommend them? :)

xoxox
Kathleen

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

I dont think they taste like carrots (not as sweet), but I find with these fries you cant really detect the taste of the parsnip :)

Susana March 27, 2011

Hi Angela! I can’t tell you how much I love your blog! :) I want to make the veggie burger recipe but since I live on my own, I was wondering, can they be frozen? Do I put them in the freezer after they’re cooked or before?? I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I need help!! :))

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

hmmm good question! I have never frozen veggies burgers before…anyone else want to help answer this?

I would think they would freeze better uncooked and then you’d thaw them (maybe in the fridge or on counter) and then cook as normal?

Katie (quick cook rice) March 27, 2011

Your juices are gorge. I feel like the prettier the juice, the easier it is for me to drink!

Page 2 of 3«123»