Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 2945 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Growing up, I used to have a thing for Dairy Queen Blizzards. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzards, in particular, were my go-to indulgence during the summer when I needed something cold and creamy, especially after hours of running around at softball practice. It also helped that my sister used to work there and she would give me extra scoops of cookie dough when I came in. ;)

Love that.

IMG 2940 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Yesterday, I found myself with an insatiable craving for a cookie dough blizzard. It must have been the  tropical weather we were experiencing (11 Celsius and sunny- I’ll take it!) and the fact that I had just come back from a 6 mile run. The only thing on my mind was COLD!

IMG 3013   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Let’s first take a look at the ingredients in the Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Unenriched Wheat Flour, Sugar, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Mono- and Diglycerides, Artificial Flavor[Milk], Colored with Annatto, Calcium Disodium EDTA added as a preservative, Vitamin A Palmitate added), Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin [Emulsifier], Vanilla), Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Starch), Butter (Cream, Salt), Pasteurized Eggs, Brown Sugar, Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt.

Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Fudge: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk (Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup), Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Water, Fructose, Cocoa processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Sodium Alginate (Algin, Dextrin, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Mono & Diglycerides (Vegetable), Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Soy Lecithin, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial & Natural Flavors..

Admittedly, I wasn’t really craving one after reading that crazy list, but I figured that I could make a homemade version using natural ingredients from my kitchen.

This recipe was inspired by the banana soft serve with cookie dough pieces that I made a lot last summer.

IMG 0956   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 3029   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

The first thing I did was make a batch of cookie dough. This is my third cookie dough recipe, adapted from Chocolate Dipped Cookie Dough Balls and my Raw Cookie Dough Balls.

Cookie Dough Balls III

print this recipe!

Yield: 1 cup packed cookie dough

• 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup oat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 tbsp natural cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup (or a bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions: In a food processor, add the cashews and oats and process until it forms a fine crumble. Now add in the salt, sugar, and flour and process for a few seconds more. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and process until combined. It will be sticky, but this is normal! Add in your chocolate chips and stir by hand or process. Form into balls. Store in freezer.

IMG 2985 4   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

print this recipe!

Yield: 2 servings

• 3 peeled and frozen bananas, cut into 1 inch chunks for easier processing
  • Splash of non-dairy milk (if needed)
  • 2 tbsp cookie dough (from above)

Directions: In a large food processor, add in your 3 frozen bananas. I like to cut my bananas into 1 inch chunks before freezing. Process bananas, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Finally, add in your cookie dough and process until combined. You should have a soft serve type consistency when done. To make the blizzard simply stir in your desired amount of mini cookie dough balls, pour into a glass, and serve with a spoon. Makes 2 servings.

IMG 2956 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

This was pretty awesome, not going to lie. :) We will be making this a lot this summer, I can tell.

IMG 2965 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

In case you missed it yesterday, the 3 winner’s of the giveaway are now posted! Thank you everyone for your generous donations.

Happy Friday! wlEmoticon sun2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Shannon September 14, 2012

so maybe it’s about a year or two late on this comment, but after making it ten thousand times (or so?) I realized that it’s just rude not to comment. I’ve been pretty finicky about my no-bake cookies/ vegan cookie dough options and constantly try new recipes that just don’t fit. but Angela, you nailed it. this is quickly becoming my go-to, and works perfectly! i feel like i’ll FINALLY go the whole blizzard route soon, but until then these cookies are great. oh and if you put them in a toaster oven for maybe a minute- i don’t know what it is- but they become INCREDIBLE. thank my roommate for that discovery. thank you though!

Liz September 24, 2012

My entire extended family lovessss these cookie dough balls. We all make a double batch and keep them in a freezer for late night snacks and cravings.

Angela – do you know the nutritional information for the cookie dough?

Thanks!

Amy October 1, 2012

This looks great. Can I do a gluten free version? What if I used almond flour? Or just gf flour? Can that be eaten raw? Thanks!

tami October 5, 2012

LOOVVEEEEE this! We make ice pops for our kiddos with the banana ice cream trick! We are chocoholics though so adding 2T dark chocolate cocoa powder makes this a bit more decadent!!! SOOOO making this for hubby!

jessjp October 6, 2012

The cookie dough was so delicious! We barely had any left for the blizzards :) Thanks for sharing.

Tracey @ Cooking With Love October 24, 2012

Partially Hydrogenated Oil is in everything, Soooo scary since most consumers don’t even know what it is. I saw a girl eating Cheez-It’s at work yesterday and wanted to grab the box from her and say NOOOOO! lol! Thanks for sharing, these balls look dreamy! :)

Cassidy December 4, 2012

Oh, goodness. I ate all of it. All the cookie dough…all the soft serve… @___@
So. Good. Perfect post-workout nom-nom. Thanks, Angela! ;D

Linda March 12, 2013

Just made this one, yummy! But actually, I like all your recipes ;)

Amber April 2, 2013

Looks delicious!! SO gonna make this soon!

Amy May 3, 2013

LOVE this recipe! Actually I love ALL your recipes! :D

Ashley May 30, 2013

Hi! Just discovered your site and LOVE your recipes! Can’t wait to try! I am newly GF and will be adapting these for that. Quick question though – I do not have a food processor, only a blender. Will that work for your recipes that require a processor? Thank you!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 31, 2013

im sorry but Im not sure Ashley!

Lizzie June 29, 2013

Hi, Angela! I just recently started a blog for meals that are ideal for collegiate student-athletes (as I am one myself) and can easily be made in the dorm (involves the microwave and blender…a lot). I tried this recipe for “cookie dough” bites and LOVED it!! Would you mind if I share it on my blog? Thanks!

Sarah July 13, 2013

Having finished most of the Cookie Dough Blizzard just now, I have to write you how unbelievably delicious that is!!! I can’t believe it. Now I have to wait til more of my bananas ripen so I can make it again… Actually, next time it’ll be Peanut butter or chocolate brownie! Thank you so much for these recipes. Amazing.

Jocelyn Herman July 28, 2013

I just made the cookie dough balls — Good thing at least some of them made it into the freezer since they were so good I couldn’t stop eating the dough!! They taste just like real cookie dough. Can’t wait to make the soft serve part of this to complete the whole recipe!!

Jocelyn Herman July 28, 2013

P.S. I used buckwheat flour to make it gluten free and it was still very, very good. I also used agave syrup instead of pure maple syrup. It has a slight almond taste, but I love that flavor anyhow so it’s still just as good as far as I am concerned. :-)

Laura September 19, 2013

How many chocolate chip cookie balls should I get out of that batch? I made 18 but I thought maybe I should make them smaller?

Angela December 30, 2013

I’ve decided this is the year I go fully vegan. What a wonderful blog this is – like stumbling across Aladdin’s Cave – and what a creative and generous person you are for sharing all your talent and enthusiasm. Thank you so much x

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 30, 2013

Hi Angela, Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I appreciate it so much :) Good luck with your goals!

Stephanie January 27, 2014

omg! you are a woman after my own heart I love cookie dough and because of you have found a love for oats! I’m in the process of making this as we speak my cookie dough just went into the freezer! before they went in they already treated amazing! I can’t wait to try out more of your recipes! thank you!

Juliet February 18, 2014

These are fantastic! Any chance you think these could be kept out of the freezer for a couple days at room temp?

svet March 6, 2014

Angela! I just made and consumed this and it was amazing! :) I asked my mom if she wanted me to make her a portion, and she said no. But when she saw it and had a bite, she sure regretted this decision!

heidi March 19, 2014

i made this with the cookie dough nut butter (because i already had some made) and WOWWWW!!! i think i cried a little its so good!

Plant Based Diet March 21, 2014

I love the recipes and I love it even more that is is plant based.

Misty May 31, 2014

I just made this. Substituted coconut flour for oat flour. So flavorful! This is certainly a keeper!

Lanae June 21, 2014

My husband LOVES cookie dough blizzards, and I know it has been kind of difficult for him to give them up since becoming vegan. So, when I found this recipe, I knew I had to make it for him. I whipped it up today, and it was delicious!!! My husband loved it! Thanks for the recipe!

Vanessa July 15, 2014

Hi Angela, I made this recipe when you first posted it in 2011 and I made often through that summer. However, I have moved on to other favorites from your website since then. Anyway, I am 36 weeks pregnant and today I was in the grocery store and got a major craving for this recipe. I looked up the recipe immediately on my phone and found I only needed to buy two ingredients. I had everything else at home. I quickly grabbed those two items and raced home to prepare it so I could have it for dessert tonight. I just finished a serving of the blizzard and it was as good as I remember. The baby is kicking up a storm now. I guess it has his approval too! Thanks.

Missy July 29, 2014

Love this! Any thoughts on a good substitute for the cashews for my brother’s tree nut allergy?

Sam December 3, 2014

I’m kind of new to the raw baking idea still… Just checking, would raw whole wheat pastry flour not make one sick? I’ve always been under the impression flour always needs to be cooked.

Page 5 of 5«12345