Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 2945 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Growing up, I used to have a thing for Dairy Queen Blizzards. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzards, in particular, were my go-to indulgence during the summer when I needed something cold and creamy, especially after hours of running around at softball practice. It also helped that my sister used to work there and she would give me extra scoops of cookie dough when I came in. ;)

Love that.

IMG 2940 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Yesterday, I found myself with an insatiable craving for a cookie dough blizzard. It must have been the  tropical weather we were experiencing (11 Celsius and sunny- I’ll take it!) and the fact that I had just come back from a 6 mile run. The only thing on my mind was COLD!

IMG 3013   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Let’s first take a look at the ingredients in the Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Unenriched Wheat Flour, Sugar, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Mono- and Diglycerides, Artificial Flavor[Milk], Colored with Annatto, Calcium Disodium EDTA added as a preservative, Vitamin A Palmitate added), Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin [Emulsifier], Vanilla), Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Starch), Butter (Cream, Salt), Pasteurized Eggs, Brown Sugar, Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt.

Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Fudge: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk (Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup), Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Water, Fructose, Cocoa processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Sodium Alginate (Algin, Dextrin, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Mono & Diglycerides (Vegetable), Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Soy Lecithin, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial & Natural Flavors..

Admittedly, I wasn’t really craving one after reading that crazy list, but I figured that I could make a homemade version using natural ingredients from my kitchen.

This recipe was inspired by the banana soft serve with cookie dough pieces that I made a lot last summer.

IMG 0956   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 3029   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

The first thing I did was make a batch of cookie dough. This is my third cookie dough recipe, adapted from Chocolate Dipped Cookie Dough Balls and my Raw Cookie Dough Balls.

Cookie Dough Balls III

print this recipe!

Yield: 1 cup packed cookie dough

• 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup oat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 tbsp natural cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup (or a bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions: In a food processor, add the cashews and oats and process until it forms a fine crumble. Now add in the salt, sugar, and flour and process for a few seconds more. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and process until combined. It will be sticky, but this is normal! Add in your chocolate chips and stir by hand or process. Form into balls. Store in freezer.

IMG 2985 4   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

print this recipe!

Yield: 2 servings

• 3 peeled and frozen bananas, cut into 1 inch chunks for easier processing
  • Splash of non-dairy milk (if needed)
  • 2 tbsp cookie dough (from above)

Directions: In a large food processor, add in your 3 frozen bananas. I like to cut my bananas into 1 inch chunks before freezing. Process bananas, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Finally, add in your cookie dough and process until combined. You should have a soft serve type consistency when done. To make the blizzard simply stir in your desired amount of mini cookie dough balls, pour into a glass, and serve with a spoon. Makes 2 servings.

IMG 2956 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

This was pretty awesome, not going to lie. :) We will be making this a lot this summer, I can tell.

IMG 2965 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

In case you missed it yesterday, the 3 winner’s of the giveaway are now posted! Thank you everyone for your generous donations.

Happy Friday! wlEmoticon sun2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Lauren March 19, 2011

I’m getting on a plane headed to your kitchen right now so get the ingredients out for my “blizzard”!

Tiina McKay March 19, 2011

I cannot stop eating the cookie dough balls!!!!!!!!!!!! Aaahhhhhh!!!!! The blizzard part will have to wait until tomorrow because I am stuffed :)) Thanks for yet another wonderful recipe! Have a great weekend!

Emily March 19, 2011

I have been craving Blizzards for weeks now, but I’ve stayed away because I always feel like junk after eating one. This will be my solution!

Do you know if the banana soft serve freezes well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

Im not sure about freezing it, but I think I read that Caitlin from HTP freezes it and reprocesses it sometimes. Goodluck!

marla {family fresh cooking} March 19, 2011

Angela, you are so smart. But we all ready knew that ;) Love what you have done to the Blizzard. This is the only way I would like to enjoy that treat. So pretty too! The raw dough balls rock. xo

Peggy March 19, 2011

I actually made some chocolate chip cookies last night, I wish I had seen this beforehand because I would derailed from that in a heart beat! This blizzard looks downright fantastic!

Ricki March 19, 2011

Brilliance to the tenth degree! Oh, man, that looks amazing. I am also an “I-used-to-love-DQ-Blizzards” gal. And you just KNOW I am going to play with this so I have a version I’m allowed to eat–how could anyone look at these photos and NOT want to eat this??

Meg March 19, 2011

when i made the switch to vegan, ice cream was one of the very few things i missed. namely oreo mint blizzards that said, this has inspired me to make my own version. thanks Angela. awesome work again!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

im dying to make an oreo blizzard!

Jennifer Drummond March 19, 2011

I was so excited to see this recipe, that I made it as soon as I got up this morning (5:30am) and let me tell you I am in heaven! This tastes just like cookie dough! I even saved some so I can lick the bowl like I was a kid! I am debating if I want to make bigger versions of this and then dip in chocolate so I can eat it as my mid afternoon snack! Thank you so much for sharing, your an inspiration!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

glad you like it!!

laura March 19, 2011

This looks amazing! A great alternative to a scary dq blizzard treat.

Leslie Paquette March 19, 2011

This recipe looks dangerous!! I will be making this the next warm day we have.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe March 19, 2011

I can’t believe you mentioned Dairy Queen. I want to go there right now and get a Girl Scout blizzard, I love that place and there is one nearby!
Your healthified version of a cookie dough blizzards makes me so hungry, yum!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 19, 2011

Super Yum!

Amy March 19, 2011

Looks deeelicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 19, 2011

Mmmmm!! I worked at DQ for about 8 years, and I still LOVE blizzards!

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) March 19, 2011

Oh my gosh, a healthy dq blizzard – win!

Astrid March 19, 2011

cookie dough blizzards were my childhood! I probably had 1 every two weeks for about 10 years. Can’t wait to try the healthier version!!

Angelique March 20, 2011

This is genius! My husband loves chunky things in his ice cream and is going to totally dig this!

Danielle March 20, 2011

Oh boy, I think I might need to adapt this with homemade oreos for my husband this summer. I always feel so guilty after eating the real ones, so this is a great option!

Sarah L. March 20, 2011

I had a friend who worked at Dairy Queen and she used to give me extra cookie dough too! I can’t wait to try this recipe, it sounds so delicious!

Kim March 20, 2011

This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 20, 2011

No way! Angela, you are my LIFE SAVER!!!! Thank you SO much for this!

xoxo
Kathleen

Marisa March 22, 2011

That sounds insanely good!

jamie hayworth-chin March 22, 2011

what kind of gluten free flour do you think would work well for the cookie dough??

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie March 23, 2011

This is amazing!!!!! I miss eating blizzards and am glad to have a lactose-free replacement :).

alex March 23, 2011

WOW. so incredibly delicious. i made this monday, and then again yesterday. i would have made it again today but i am out of bananas and cashews! i think i may have to actually stop buying these items, or i will be making this recipe daily. you are genius!!!!

alex April 7, 2011

I wanted to let you know I mentioned these in my blog (linked to your site). Let me know if you want me to take it down!! Thanks!

Jodi March 23, 2011

Woah! These were beyond good. I don’t have an awesome food processor, so my mixture wasn’t as fine, but they still came out super tasty! And I am without vegan ice cream (no bananas!) so I will just enjoy these with a glass of coconut milk :)
Thanks for the amazing and easy recipe!

Christine March 25, 2011

Delicious! I only made the dough balls so far and it was *HARD* to stop at just one last night but I wanted to save them for the blizzard tonight. I made a couple of substitutions – used sucanat instead of natural cane sugar and two medjool dates soaked in warm water plus some of the soaking liquid for the maple syrup. I can see these being my go-to treat for months to come! Thanks for sharing! :-)

Paula Chihill March 29, 2011

Hi Angela, just stumbled upon your blog- it’s awesome!
Do you or anyone know of a gluten free flour that would work for the cookie dough?
Thank you for posting these incredible recipes! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

I’m not sure…probably bob’s all purpose GF flour?

marlie March 29, 2011

OMG! I made the blizzard this morning after my run and it was TO DIE FOR. Yummmmm
Thank you for posting this.. your blog has now become my obsession and every single recipe I have tried out has been delicious.

You’re the best Angela!

Becca March 29, 2011

Made this twice now: once with banana soft serve and once with vanilla flavored Coconut Bliss. I think I may prefer it more with the coconut bliss just because the banana flavor was a bit distracting… I think the banana soft serve would be perfect if the cookie dough were peanut butter flavored!

Courtney March 30, 2011

Have you ever tried substituting coconut flour or another type of flour for the whole wheat flour? I tried making it with almond meal and while it was “ok” it is better with the whole wheat flour. I found vanilla agave syrup and sub that for the vanilla and omit the cane sugar- delish!
I’m addicted!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

No I have not tried coconut flour in this. I have had really mixed results with coconut flour, so im always hesitant to try it!

Summer April 12, 2011

The dough balls were really good. I didn’t want to dirty the whole food processor, so I just made this in my Magic Bullet. I needed an extra splash of almond milk to get the dough mixture to come together. They don’t freeze too hard, so they’re great to eat straight out of the freezer.

Too yummy!

I also later made the Blizzard using the banana method, and I loved it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! :)

Karad April 23, 2012

These are BRILLIANT!!!! I was in heaven with my first bite. I’ve already made 4 batches and am starting to play around with them a bit. Since I have to limit my sugar intake, I omitted the chocolate chips and sugar, just using the 3 Tbsp maple syrup. To make them even healthier for a quick everyday snack, I switched out the whole wheat flour for 1/2 barley flour, 1/2 ground flax. These are so good I’ll be making them every week. Thank you for an amazing recipe!!

Jenny May 31, 2012

I’ve never had a Dairy Queen Blizzard, but this recipe is amazing! I had to be careful not to eat both servings by myself, heh heh. I love eating even the cookie dough all by itself. :) Thanks for such a great recipe! I had to ask myself if or why I would ever eat real ice cream again if I could eat this…

becca June 21, 2012

These dough balls are so good! I’m not a vegan, and these really taste like the real nonvegan stuff! Thank you!!

Martha July 17, 2012

Just made this. It is amazing!! Super creamy and delicious. I can’t believe how easy the fro yo part is.

Chandra July 29, 2012

Amazing recipe! Not a fan of cookie dough but I love bananas. I’m sure the grand kids will love it. They love both! Thanks for the recipe.
Chandra

Emily August 10, 2012

I can’t even believe how good this is! I didn’t think it would be good but I might actually like it better than real ice cream!

Anna August 30, 2012

i am such a fan of your recipes! i could literally live off of these cookie dough balls! my boyfriend and i make them as snacks to have in the freezer every week! we even have created different versions of them! cant get enough!

Alyson September 13, 2012

These are so addicting, but a great way to cure my craving for something sweet :) Thank you for the recipe!

Page 4 of 5«12345»