Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 2945 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Growing up, I used to have a thing for Dairy Queen Blizzards. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzards, in particular, were my go-to indulgence during the summer when I needed something cold and creamy, especially after hours of running around at softball practice. It also helped that my sister used to work there and she would give me extra scoops of cookie dough when I came in. ;)

Love that.

IMG 2940 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Yesterday, I found myself with an insatiable craving for a cookie dough blizzard. It must have been the  tropical weather we were experiencing (11 Celsius and sunny- I’ll take it!) and the fact that I had just come back from a 6 mile run. The only thing on my mind was COLD!

IMG 3013   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Let’s first take a look at the ingredients in the Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Unenriched Wheat Flour, Sugar, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Mono- and Diglycerides, Artificial Flavor[Milk], Colored with Annatto, Calcium Disodium EDTA added as a preservative, Vitamin A Palmitate added), Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin [Emulsifier], Vanilla), Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Starch), Butter (Cream, Salt), Pasteurized Eggs, Brown Sugar, Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt.

Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Fudge: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk (Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup), Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Water, Fructose, Cocoa processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Sodium Alginate (Algin, Dextrin, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Mono & Diglycerides (Vegetable), Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Soy Lecithin, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial & Natural Flavors..

Admittedly, I wasn’t really craving one after reading that crazy list, but I figured that I could make a homemade version using natural ingredients from my kitchen.

This recipe was inspired by the banana soft serve with cookie dough pieces that I made a lot last summer.

IMG 0956   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 3029   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

The first thing I did was make a batch of cookie dough. This is my third cookie dough recipe, adapted from Chocolate Dipped Cookie Dough Balls and my Raw Cookie Dough Balls.

Cookie Dough Balls III

print this recipe!

Yield: 1 cup packed cookie dough

• 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup oat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 tbsp natural cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup (or a bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions: In a food processor, add the cashews and oats and process until it forms a fine crumble. Now add in the salt, sugar, and flour and process for a few seconds more. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and process until combined. It will be sticky, but this is normal! Add in your chocolate chips and stir by hand or process. Form into balls. Store in freezer.

IMG 2985 4   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

print this recipe!

Yield: 2 servings

• 3 peeled and frozen bananas, cut into 1 inch chunks for easier processing
  • Splash of non-dairy milk (if needed)
  • 2 tbsp cookie dough (from above)

Directions: In a large food processor, add in your 3 frozen bananas. I like to cut my bananas into 1 inch chunks before freezing. Process bananas, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Finally, add in your cookie dough and process until combined. You should have a soft serve type consistency when done. To make the blizzard simply stir in your desired amount of mini cookie dough balls, pour into a glass, and serve with a spoon. Makes 2 servings.

IMG 2956 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

This was pretty awesome, not going to lie. :) We will be making this a lot this summer, I can tell.

IMG 2965 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

In case you missed it yesterday, the 3 winner’s of the giveaway are now posted! Thank you everyone for your generous donations.

Happy Friday! wlEmoticon sun2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

kaila @ Healthy Helper blog March 18, 2011

I used to love Dairy Queen blizzards….but after I became more health conscious and found out the ingredients they lost there attraction! But now I can have a healthy and delicious substitute! YUM! Can’t wait to try it…..my fave blizzard flavors were oreo and peanut butter cup! Maybe you could come up with a variation for those too :)!

britt March 18, 2011

this seriously looks amazing!! i have everything on hand except for the cashews. do you think walnuts, almonds or pecans would work? of course i have every other kind of nut on hand!!

Bridget March 18, 2011

Who needs DQ when you got this! Wow! I’m super impressed Ange :)

Lorin March 18, 2011

That looks really good! I love McDonalds McFlurry but I haven’t had one in so long. I like that they have the mini sizes now which is actually a perfect size it seems. I wish I had a food processor to try out all your delicious recipes.

Laura @FoodSnobSTL March 18, 2011

I ate a blizzard just the other day. Wish I would of gone this route though. So much healthier!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 18, 2011

Angela, I LOVED Blizzards growing up. It was the Heath Bar Blizzard that had my name all over it. I was really horribly dairy intolerant then and didnt know why I’d end up in pain for day(s) after eating one, but I kept eating them anyway b/c they were so good :)

Havent had a Blizzard in about 15-20 years I’d say but gosh, your version makes me just want to get busy Blizzard making at home!

The cookie dough recipe looks wonderful! That’s how I make my cookie dough. i just made some white chocolate & mango cookie dough bites. I used my “base” cookie dough recipe which I never include dates or coconut oil in it; just cashews, oats, vanilla, agave. Super simple and it works every time. I am going to try your version next!

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 18, 2011

I ate my fair share of DQ Blizzards back in the day. My children and husband are going to love you after they get a taste of this awesome concoction!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 18, 2011

I JUST had a DQ blizzard the other day.. and now I have a healthier alternative! Thank you!

Emily March 18, 2011

That looks AMAZING! I ran an awesome 6 miles today in beautiful central park, it’s 70 degrees in NYC today! Enjoy the rest of your gorgeous day! :)

Jen March 18, 2011

I want one of these NOW! I haven’t made banana soft serve in far too long. Luckily, I just froze a bunch of ripe bananas this morning!

Stefanie March 18, 2011

Now I am craving a blizzard. Thanks for sharing another great recipe.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 18, 2011

seriously, this looks like real ice cream! and i’m sure it tastes like it, too! perfect for a hot day here in new Zealand!

Erin @ Big Girl Feats March 18, 2011

I completely forgot about my love for DQ Blizzards back in the day, until this post reminded me. This look SO good! I will absolutely be trying this very soon.

Julie (A Case of the Runs) March 18, 2011

I second the recommendation to do an Oreo version!

Lisa Fine March 18, 2011

This sounds amazing! I added to my links in my weekend reading material. It’s saved in my reader as a post-running treat for when the weather warms up.

Janelle March 18, 2011

You are a GENIUS!!! Thank You!

megan @ the oatmeal diaries March 18, 2011

Ok this is too funny… my boyfriend and I literally talked about these cookie dough blizzards for about an HOUR last night! I know what I’m making today!!! :)

Carlee March 18, 2011

ANGELA! This looks INSANE!!!

Becca March 18, 2011

When I opened your blog and saw that beautiful picture of a cookie dough blizzard I could not contain my excitement. AMAZING. I am making this for sure! I worked at DQ and ate wayyyyy more than my fair share of processed cookie dough crap …but a vegan, semi-raw, “clean” blizzard? Yes, please!

Crystal March 18, 2011

I used to work at DQ and I’d make this Blizzard all the time for myself! The original recipe also has hot fudge in there, but I liked to replace it with butterscotch sauce, yum! I think your version sounds absolutely divine and I will be making it this summer!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 18, 2011

I was a huge fan of blizzards growing up. My sister and I used to ride our bikes to DQ every Saturday afternoon. She would have the Reese’s pieces blizzard and I would have strawberry oreo. I loved that strawberry oreo combination.
This looks so great! I can’t wait for summer. All the snow is melting in Airdrie and the birds are out… eeee!

Julie @ Shining From Within March 18, 2011

I just made these cookie dough balls and they taste JUST like the real thing! And I was skeptical… I’d say they’re better than the real thing. YUM! :D thank you

Christine (The Raw Project) March 18, 2011

This looks absolutely amazing and I can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

Naomi March 18, 2011

AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS! that looks better than a blizzard lol

Kate March 18, 2011

OMG those look amazing, conveniently I have almond butter cookie dough balls im thinking they might be really good in some soft serve!

Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware March 18, 2011

Oh my. I just made the cookie dough balls for my kids which they love and feel like it is soo cool that their mom lets them eat cookie dough. Little did I know that I am going to get to have the above blizzard as well. Thank you, thank you.

Stephanie March 18, 2011

The blizzard looks amazing! You’ve got me craving cookie dough. Unfortunately I have an allergy to cashews, so this recipe is a no-go. Do you have a suggestion for an alternative that I could use for the cookie dough recipe? Do you think another nut would work as well? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 19, 2011

I think a commenter above mentioned using almonds :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 18, 2011

Ohhhh maiii gawwwd…you are killing me!! It has been a balmy 64 degrees F and sunny. I have been craving frozen deliciousness and this will hit the spot. Thank you girl!!

Lauren March 18, 2011

I was craving a blizzard on Wednesday. I must say that this looks 150% better than DQ. Cannot wait to give it a whirl! No pun intended.. >_>

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy March 18, 2011

What a crazy list of ingredients! I don’t know who in their right mind would actually want to eat a ‘real’ blizzard if they knew what was in it!

There is always a better way to remake a “return to childhood” favorite treat! ;)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 18, 2011

I could never have DQ because of my allergies, but I loved McFlurries! This looks like the perfect replacement for them this summer! :D

Cara Craves... March 18, 2011

Love this!
I always used to get Dairy Queen blizzards after my rugby games/pratices
in high school. My go-to flavor was always mint oreo.

Katie Gibbs March 18, 2011

Yep, this looks freaking amazing! I can’t wait to play around with some other flavors!

Laura @ Starloz March 18, 2011

oh boy, how scary are the ingredients in the dq blizzard. wow

staceyhealthylife March 18, 2011

Wow. I think the cookie dough pieces look the best, yum.

Baking Serendipity March 18, 2011

I loved blizzards growing up too, but eeeks! to that ingredient list. Your alternative is much better…bookmarking this for a summer treat for sure. Thank you, thank you! :)

Hannah March 18, 2011

So gobsmacked. So swooning with desire. So going to make cookie dough RIGHT NOW.

Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 18, 2011

Sounds so yummy! This is an amazing idea.
I am definately making this. Katie from Chocolate Covered Katie has been making similar milkshakes too. So I am definately craving some blended goodness

Zestful Lou March 18, 2011

I am considering making this right now for dessert. I just have to convince myself that it will be worth having to wash the food processor. Oh lazy days!

Runeatrepeat March 18, 2011

This is the best blog recipe I’ve seen all week! Amazing :)

Page 3 of 5«12345»