Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 2945 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Growing up, I used to have a thing for Dairy Queen Blizzards. The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzards, in particular, were my go-to indulgence during the summer when I needed something cold and creamy, especially after hours of running around at softball practice. It also helped that my sister used to work there and she would give me extra scoops of cookie dough when I came in. ;)

Love that.

IMG 2940 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Yesterday, I found myself with an insatiable craving for a cookie dough blizzard. It must have been the  tropical weather we were experiencing (11 Celsius and sunny- I’ll take it!) and the fact that I had just come back from a 6 mile run. The only thing on my mind was COLD!

IMG 3013   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Let’s first take a look at the ingredients in the Dairy Queen Cookie Dough Blizzard.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough: Unenriched Wheat Flour, Sugar, Margarine (Palm Oil, Water, Soybean Oil, Mono- and Diglycerides, Artificial Flavor[Milk], Colored with Annatto, Calcium Disodium EDTA added as a preservative, Vitamin A Palmitate added), Chocolate Chips (Sugar, Chocolate Liquor, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin [Emulsifier], Vanilla), Powdered Sugar (Sugar, Corn Starch), Butter (Cream, Salt), Pasteurized Eggs, Brown Sugar, Corn Starch, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Salt.

Dairy Queen Vanilla Soft Serve: Milkfat and nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, mono and diglycerides, artificial flavor, guar gum, polysorbate 80, carrageenan, and vitamin A palmitate.

Fudge: High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sweetened Condensed Skim Milk (Skim Milk, Sugar, Corn Syrup), Partially Hydrogenated Coconut Oil, Water, Fructose, Cocoa processed with Alkali, Cocoa, Sodium Alginate (Algin, Dextrin, Sodium Phosphate), Salt, Mono & Diglycerides (Vegetable), Potassium Sorbate (a preservative), Soy Lecithin, Disodium Phosphate, Artificial & Natural Flavors..

Admittedly, I wasn’t really craving one after reading that crazy list, but I figured that I could make a homemade version using natural ingredients from my kitchen.

This recipe was inspired by the banana soft serve with cookie dough pieces that I made a lot last summer.

IMG 0956   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

IMG 3029   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

The first thing I did was make a batch of cookie dough. This is my third cookie dough recipe, adapted from Chocolate Dipped Cookie Dough Balls and my Raw Cookie Dough Balls.

Cookie Dough Balls III

print this recipe!

Yield: 1 cup packed cookie dough

• 1/2 cup unsalted cashews
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup oat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1.5 tbsp natural cane sugar
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 3-4 tbsp pure maple syrup (or a bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

Directions: In a food processor, add the cashews and oats and process until it forms a fine crumble. Now add in the salt, sugar, and flour and process for a few seconds more. Add in the maple syrup and vanilla and process until combined. It will be sticky, but this is normal! Add in your chocolate chips and stir by hand or process. Form into balls. Store in freezer.

IMG 2985 4   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

print this recipe!

Yield: 2 servings

• 3 peeled and frozen bananas, cut into 1 inch chunks for easier processing
  • Splash of non-dairy milk (if needed)
  • 2 tbsp cookie dough (from above)

Directions: In a large food processor, add in your 3 frozen bananas. I like to cut my bananas into 1 inch chunks before freezing. Process bananas, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Finally, add in your cookie dough and process until combined. You should have a soft serve type consistency when done. To make the blizzard simply stir in your desired amount of mini cookie dough balls, pour into a glass, and serve with a spoon. Makes 2 servings.

IMG 2956 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

This was pretty awesome, not going to lie. :) We will be making this a lot this summer, I can tell.

IMG 2965 2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

In case you missed it yesterday, the 3 winner’s of the giveaway are now posted! Thank you everyone for your generous donations.

Happy Friday! wlEmoticon sun2   Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ‘Blizzard’

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods March 18, 2011

Amazing! Your version sounds much more appetizing than the DQ classic.

Jennifer March 18, 2011

Those look a-freaking-mazing. What I especially love is that while they carry themselves as dessert, they’re really healthier than most people’s breakfasts. I don’t comment often, but I’ve got to say, I love your recipes! Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

thanks Jennifer!

Leanne March 18, 2011

This looks to die for!

I swear, Eric must love coming home from work every day to sample whatever you’ve been making! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

yes he does :)

Kristin March 18, 2011

Oh-My-Goodness!!! I have been craving a Blizzard lately but just couldn’t justify putting something like that into my body. But this? Oh yeah baby! Can’t wait to try this!

Katie (quickcookrice) March 18, 2011

Used to LOVE Blizzards as well. This might be the new summer go-to recipe (and here in Washington, DC it’s starting to feel like summer might be around the corner!).

Cait March 18, 2011

Holy moly. This looks amazing. I have a thing for Friendly’s peanut butter cup “Friendzees” or whatever they are called. I may have to create a healthier version now that you’ve set the bar!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 18, 2011

Oh wow, this looks great!!!! I love Blizzards. Especially the Oreo ones. This is so much of a healthier option, though :D

Lynna March 18, 2011

YUM such a great idea. I’ll have to make this soon. Do you have a favorite version of your raw cookie dough?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

probably this most recent version :)

Moni'sMeals March 18, 2011

thank you thank you thank you! I would prefer yours WELL over a DQ blizzard. This looks unreal!

Kelsey March 18, 2011

WOW! This looks amazing! I loooved blizzards, esp. reese’s pb cup blizzards. After becoming a vegan, I thought my blizzard days were over…but you’ve given me hope. :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 18, 2011

omg this looks incredible! i used to LOVE the oreo blizzards and haven’t had one in years.

Bronwyn March 18, 2011

That sounds DELICIOUS. Sigh, why does DQ have to be so bad, but oh-so-good? It’s one of those places I try to be ignorant of what’s IN the blizzard, so I can just enjoy the horrible goodness that is a blizzard. Maybe I’ll try this Banana-Cookie-Dough-Blizzard. It looks good too!

Amber K March 18, 2011

Personally I was always a Reese’s peanut butter cup blizzard girl, but I would gladly trade for one of these! I know what I’ll be making this summer!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

mmmm reese’s

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

I was just thinking- why not make a blizzard using these vegan chocolate PB cups? http://ohsheglows.com/2009/12/30/vegan-chocolate-peanut-butter-cups/ How good would that be!

Ok now im getting all kinds of crazy ideas!

Amber K March 18, 2011

YUM! You always have the best ideas. :)

Chanelle Morin March 18, 2011

We so thought of that today. And we thought of about 6 other ideas. I guess I’m going to have to try a new one every week or every day. Haha. Thanks so much for the idea. It was delish and my son loved it!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg March 18, 2011

Well now this is just dangerous…but not nearly as dangerous as the DQ blizzards, ha! Yum yum– amazed that you found a way to make this one healthy!

Alyssa March 18, 2011

Oh my goodness!!! So I made almond milk this morning (because I was to lazy to go to the store last night and I like homemade so much better;) I have been searching for a way to use the almond pulp and I saw this recipe this morning. So I just replaced the cashews with the almond pulp and wow! My husband and I are in shock of how much it taste like cookie dough! I love feeling like I can give my family delicious treats and not feel guilty about it. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

wow that is awesome! I’ll have to try it with almonds. :) Thanks for the tip!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit March 18, 2011

amazing! I’ll be trying this asap! enjoy your weekend babe x

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 18, 2011

i used to work at dairy queen in high school!! needless to say i’ve eaten my fair share of chemically created cookie dough! this looks like the perfect, delicious alternative though!

congrats on raising all the money for japan! that’s just plain AWESOME :D

Lisa March 18, 2011

Omg, that looks so good! But, do you have any ideas of what I can use instead of cashews? I am allergic to nuts!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 18, 2011

you might be able to make a vegan cookie dough and use that to make the balls with. I haven’t tried it myself, but I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 18, 2011

Great idea! Yum!

Leah @ Why Deprive? March 18, 2011

I LOVE Dairy Queen Blizzards sooo much, but I’ve never read the ingredients before. Kind of scary. This is a genius idea!

rachel March 18, 2011

you are a genius! the banana cream pie blizzard was my favorite. banana soft serve would be absolutely perfect for this. time to freeze some bananas :D

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition March 18, 2011

I just got back from a hot run and that looks like the best thing ever!

Heidi March 18, 2011

That looks amazing. I very rarely think it might be a good idea to go get a blizzard and then I remember I’ll feel like crap for the rest of the day. I wont be able to resist this version though! :D

Clare @ Fitting It All In March 18, 2011

A mix between two favorite desserts ! Yipee!!

Ashley March 18, 2011

Girl, this is insane!! I feel like it needs a dollop of the cookie dough almond butter on top! haha YUH-UMMMMM :)

Katie March 18, 2011

Those were my favorite blizzards too! I actually made this almost every night last summer. :) It was the FIRST thing I thought of when I first heard about banana soft serve. I like ice cream scoops, but soft serve is my absolute favorite.

Jess@atasteofconfidence March 18, 2011

I used to love blizzards, and this looks awesome- SUCH a better alternative. Thanks for the recipe!

Michelle | gold-hearted girl March 18, 2011

You are a GENIUS. I used to love blizzards back in the day – I’m kind of ashamed to say that, haha. So thank you for introducing a healthy version!!!

Kayla @ Fitter Than Choc March 18, 2011

How can anyone not love this? I love your healthier version of the blizzard!

LauraJayne March 18, 2011

That looks amazing! My favorite was always the Butterfinger Blizzard – and I think I can totally make that using your recipe too!

Hannah March 18, 2011

Ahhh Angela this is too much! When is your cookbook coming out?!?

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner March 18, 2011

Um, Ok this looks AWESOME! What a great idea!!!! Sometimes I crave a dairy queen ice cream, but then I go on the site and look at all the crap, calories and fat that’s it in and I change my mind. This looks great though!!

Glad you are enjoying the weather.. it’s great isn’t it :)

Lesley Lifting Life March 18, 2011

That looks amazing and delicious! :)

Janessa March 18, 2011

Looks delicious!

carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 18, 2011

Oh man, what are you doing to me? Blizzard recipe on a Friday afternoon… and I just bought bananas… seems like fate :P

I had the thing growing up for the vanilla blizzard with crispy crunch and oreos… oh so good!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) March 18, 2011

this is one of the many things i’ll be looking forward to once it gets warmer outside! looks amazing

Allison March 18, 2011

Oh my, is there anything you can’t do?! I will be thinking about this all day now. :) Can’t wait to try it!

Alexa @ Simple Eats March 18, 2011

Ah I can NOT wait to try this. I just had banana soft serve last night and wished there was cookie dough in it! I’m making this asap!

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 18, 2011

I shall be making these today!!!!!!! like, in a few hours? I’m hoping at least :D If not, tomorrow for sure~I can tell this is something my fiance will love! what a great idea with the healthier cookie dough balls–reminds me of froyo places

Roz March 18, 2011

Holy gross!!! I’ve never looked at the ingredients of a Blizzard. I don’t have them often, but now, I don’t know if I’ll ever have one again. And I’d take your healthier version ANY day. Thanks for the post!!!

Page 2 of 5«12345»