Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Happy St. Patty’s Day! wlEmoticon mug   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I’m very happy to announce that we raised $7,234 dollars (and climbing!) for the Japan Disaster Fundraiser!! I am absolutely blown away and touched by your generosity. I never dreamed that this much money was possible in just over a day’s time. This money is going to help many in need!

I’m currently working on the Excel document for the giveaway (it’s taking me longer than planned!) and I will be sure to update this post later today when I have the winners selected, so be sure to check back.

UPDATE: The winners can be found on this page.

IMG 2904   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

To me, St. Patty’s Day is the final hurrah of comfort food for the Winter season. Spring is right around the corner (4 days, but who’s counting?), and after today, we will gradually shift to lighter fare in hopes that the weather follows suit.

We are actually being blessed with beautiful Spring weather too! I’m hoping the snow will be gone by tomorrow.

IMG 29321   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

But, today, it’s all about the warm comfort food to bid farewell to Old Man Winter.

Last night we paid tribute to our Irish roots with this delicious vegan shepherd’s pie with gravy. I wonder what our Irish relatives would think of a vegan shepherd’s pie? I’ll have to make it for them if we make it to Ireland this year! Eric was actually happy to have a vegan version because he is not a fan of ground meat, which is traditionally used in this dish.

It was not only the first time I have made a vegan version of this classic dish, but it was also the first time I have ever made a shepherd’s pie, period! It turns out that it isn’t so scary after all, unless of course you are afraid of using a knife. I’m not going to sugar coat this, this recipe requires a lot of peeling and chopping so be warned.

But, it was worth the effort, resulting in an extremely comforting and delicious dish.

IMG 2913   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I adapted this recipe from the lovely Gena over at Choosing Raw. Her version is a bit different than mine, using mushrooms, so be sure to check out her recipe too! I didn’t have any mushrooms on hand (grocery store was out of them!), so I made do without.

IMG 2803   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Again, lots of chopping for this recipe…but keep your eye on the prize! You could always make this process go faster by using a food processor too.

IMG 2807   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Add the the oil, onion, and garlic into the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on low heat.

IMG 2808   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy IMG 2815   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Now add in the carrots, parsnips, and celery and cook on low for about 10 minutes or so.

IMG 2816   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Make the boozy broth. It wouldn’t be a St Patty’s Day meal with out a little booze!

IMG 2820   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

After mixing the seasonings, flour, broth, and wine together in a bowl, add it into the veggie mixture and cook on medium for another 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.

IMG 2829   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Meanwhile, make the mashed potatoes and set aside.

IMG 2824   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy IMG 2826   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

By this point, your veggie filling will have thickened up nicely. It shouldn’t have too much liquid in it at this point. If for some reason your mixture is dried out, you can add a bit more broth as needed.

IMG 2831   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Pour it into a 2.5 quart/2.3 litre casserole dish.

IMG 2836   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Spread mashed potatoes on top and garnish with paprika, Thyme, and black pepper.

IMG 2837   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Bake for about 35 minutes, until golden, at 425F. The veggie mixture will bubble around the edges!

IMG 2842   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

And it will be SUPER HOT, so please cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving…tongues will burn. Trust me on this one. ;)

IMG 2850   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I highly recommend making the vegan gravy to go along with it as it complemented this dish really well.

IMG 2894   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I think this was a good first attempt at making a vegan shepherd’s pie. When I make it next time, I might add in a layer of my ‘veggie meat’ made with mashed beans, chopped walnuts, and seasonings, similar to the one used in my taco salad. I think it would give it a great texture!

IMG 2909   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

Tonight we enjoy leftovers!

IMG 2920   Vegan Shepherd’s Pie with Gravy

I’ll leave you with some fun Irish proverbs to kick off St. Patty’s Day…

Never bolt the door with a boiled carrot. (hahah)

Man is incomplete until he marries. After that, he is finished.

It is sweet to drink but bitter to pay for.

Don’t break your shin on a stool that is not in your way.

If you dig a grave for others, you might fall into it yourself.

May you live as long as you want, and never want as long as you live.

Jess - The Domestic Vegan March 17, 2011

I LOVE those proverbs. Haha. They’re great! The shepherd’s pie looks absolutely fantastic. Yum!! And vegan Bailey’s?! I always want to make that this time of year but have yet to actually do it.

You are truly wonderful for doing that Japan fundraiser, Angela. What an AMAZING response!!!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 17, 2011

Holy wow! That is a lot of money. Great job
This pie looks delicious

Amy Ramos March 17, 2011

Angela-
That is awesome!!! Since I was not one of the winners, I still would like to purchase some Glo Bars and if possible, can some of the proceeds go towards the Japan Earthquake and Tsunami??
Is there any way it can be done?

Ashley March 17, 2011

Congrats on your fundraiser!! That is such a huge blessing! I wish I could have donated… my paycheck is running so late! (It comes in the mail— ughh)
I made this sheperd’s pie for dinner and it was AMAZING! Thank you for sharing– my boyfriend ate nearly half of it:) And the gravy is so delicious– we’re definitely writing it down to use for Thanksgiving! Thanks!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 18, 2011

That gravy looks better than non-vegan gravy!!!

Simply Pure Vegan + Baby March 18, 2011

Looks fantastic my husband would be in love with the “gravy” but its missing protein, I bet tempeh would be good fit will need to try and great work on the fundraising. I also got my glo bars last week they are delish!! Thanks so much!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 18, 2011

that looks so yummy! it’s been awhile since i had potatoes! i was just eyeing them at the grocery store last night.. i guess i should pick some up and try out this recipe ^_^

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 18, 2011

No way! That is SO amazing!!! :D I am so glad all of the money was raised for all of those people in need. :)

vanessa March 18, 2011

I make have been making vegan shepherd’s pie (which we call Shepherdess pie) for a while now, following the EXACT recipe for regular old shepherd’s pie (including generous amounts of Guinness!!), but replacing the lamb or beef called for with cooked french lentils. Just season to taste, and bake. UNBELIEVABLY amazing. Truly.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) March 18, 2011

another Angela recipe bookmarked!!

Sana March 18, 2011

Congrats on the amazing amount of money you have raised. It is so tragic that things like this happen in our beautiful world.

Zestful Lou March 19, 2011

I can’t believe how much money was raised! That’s remarkable!!

I didn’t get any St. Patty’s day fare in my belly this year. :( well, aside from the buckets of green beer that I drank. ;-)

Jean | Delightful Repast March 19, 2011

Angela, came over to this post from Foodgawker. My vegetarian shepherd’s pie is right next to your vegan! My mother’s family were English, so I grew up eating shepherd’s pie, usually made with ground beef. Then I began making it with ground turkey, then with lentils. If I make it for vegans, I take the dairy out of the mashed potatoes. Your all vegetable version looks good as well! AND reminds me that I don’t do anything with parsnips nearly often enough. Love your photos and the plaid tablecloth.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 20, 2011

Thanks so much! I will have to check out your recipe. Lentils is a wonderful idea!!

Gena March 20, 2011

Beautiful! So, so beautiful. Glad you enjoyed the recipe, Ange :) Miss you!

radioactivegan March 21, 2011

I made this for St. Patty’s day last week, with a few changes, and re-posted on my blog. I hope that’s okay! It was so good. My first experience with shepherd’s pie, too, but definitely not my last. Thanks!

Meaghan March 25, 2011

I made this last week (too keep for a couple meals throughout the week). It was great! Instead of the vegan gravy you suggested (I just didn’t have time), I made more of the liquidy- parts of the veggie filling- Vegetable broth, the red cooking wine, the flour and spices to thicken it- Perfect and fast compliment! (not to mention delish to add to pretty much anything!)

Alison March 27, 2011

Angela, first off I wanted to say what an inspiration your blog is! I found you while searching for sweet potato dip funnily enough; it was right around the time I was going to be cutting a lot out of my diet (for a few reasons). It wasn’t going to be a permanent thing, but after finding your blog and seeing all of your amazing recipes and reading your story, well, let’s just say you’ve got me thinking this is something worth doing in the long run! I had started making my own green smoothies before, but now I definitely push to make myself one a day, and I always feel great after. So thank you for sharing your time with us and giving us amazing recipes and ideas, because whatever our food status is (vegan, omnivore, steak enthusiast, hehe) I think we can all find something to enjoy!

Now that I have un-lurked myself, I do have a question for you regarding this recipe. If I made it in a batch like you (in one go), how long would it keep in the fridge do you think (in an airtight container)? I’m all for trying to make something last for a few meals if I can help it, so I’d hope it could last 4-5 days or so! Also, if I bought mini loaf tins and made individual pies, do you think it would be better to leave them un-baked in the fridge and then bake them when I want? Or bake them all and then put them in the fridge and reheat? Sorry, I know it’s probably a personal preference as to what to do, I just don’t want to worry about anything going bad!

Any advice would be great, but I know you’re a busy woman! Otherwise I’ll just try my luck and see how it goes. Thank you again though! You’re awesome!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 27, 2011

Hey Alison! Thanks so much for your kind words! :)
As for the questions, I don’t think the pie would last longer than 3 days in the fridge. I think your idea of the mini casserole dish/pan would work too. This dish didn’t reheat that well in my opinion, so maybe that would be a better option. Goodluck & enjoy! Angela

Misty April 6, 2011

My mom and I had a version of this last night for dins last night and it was amazzzing!! We added a layer of crockpot navy beans that my mom had made for us the night before. Next time we are going to try a layer of just Yves, ground soy, veggies and sweet potato!
Thanks ANGE! KEEP UP THIS AMAZING BLOG!

KC June 16, 2012

I have just found your blog thanks to Pintrest and boy am I glad I did!! I just have one question, is it necessary to use full sodium broth, or can low sodium be used? Thanks and I am excited to try many of your recipes!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 16, 2012

You can use whichever you wish, but be sure to adjust the salt to taste. :)

Erin June 30, 2012

This was so delicious! Thank you! I added your vegan gravy as well as a layer of “taco meat”. The whole family LOVED!

Nicole August 14, 2012

THIS WAS DELICIOUS :) i used sweet potato instead of parsnip, and didn’t even make the gravy and it was amazing. my carrot hating, vegan-suspicious husband loved it. thank you for allowing me to give him some vitamins!

Mommy of 3 October 24, 2012

I have been stalking your blog for a few weeks now and have made some recipes but this one came out tops. It was so delicious everyone at home loved it…..needless to say we’ll be seeing it on the table again.

Maggie October 30, 2012

This recipe is amazing! I always read comments to these recipes and I think it’s great when people are excited to cook them but I always want to hear from someone who’s actually made it. Which is why I had to post this. This is by far the best dish I have made. It’s incredible and perfect for a cold, windy night. The flavors were incredible and you can add whatever veggies you have on hand. I will definitely be adding this to my favorite meals and have already shared it with my family!

Meredith November 11, 2012

Oh my goodness, this was amazing!!!! Even my 14 year old (omni) brother gobbled it up. Now I have leftovers for the whole week!

Katee-Leigh November 14, 2012

I just made this tonight, and it was amazing. As a veggie, I haven’t had shepherd’s pie in years. I ate so much, and the wine was an excellent touch!

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 16, 2012

That’s so great to hear!

angela November 22, 2012

Well I’m giving this a try for a Thanksgiving dish…I just finished chopping the veggies and realized that my definition of “small dice” is much smaller than what the picture shows. I hope it turns out okay! Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Nina December 23, 2012

Made this for brunch today. Was a success. Used turnips instead of parsnips. I’m not a great chopper of raw veg so I put the whole carrot, whole celery and turnip (chopped into big chunks) in the water with the potatoes. Just took all veg out (left potatoes) in about 15 mins. and chopped up the soft veg and added to the onion and garlic in pan. Used the liquid from the boiled veg/potato for the broth. My daughter really liked the way the potatoes browned and the paprika and thyme sprinkled on top. Your recipes are foolproof!

Thanks again for recommendation on what to do w/leftover mashed potatoes. It’s a keeper!

Ashley January 25, 2013

This recipe is CRAZY good. And I’m so glad that I made the gravy, too. It’s full of flavor, and my very much non-vegan boyfriend gobbled this up like nobody’s business.

Nina February 10, 2013

Made this again for my daughter and she enjoyed equally as well as the 1st time. This time substituted broccoli for root veg and put in a few pieces of sweet potato pieces as well. She loved it. Think will make again tomorrow night with whole new veg choices. Seems like any combo works equally well with this great recipe. Thanks Angela!

Theresa March 16, 2013

Made this today and served it with a vegan mushroom gravy…delicious. I’m so very happy to have discovered your blog!

phalyn April 4, 2013

I added some frozen peas and corn to add a bit of texture and some more veggie goodness. I’ve made this several times now, and it is officially in the repertoire (especially if I’m having meat eaters over for dinner…they love this! )

Ashley August 26, 2013

When you say Earth Balance what do you mean? They seem to have a variety of products so I am a tad confused.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 27, 2013

You can use any kind of EB you wish. :) I use the soy-free spread.

Ashley August 27, 2013

So it is like a spread as in butter …margarine? Trying to get what the ingredient is that i am supposed to be putting in i feel a bit silly! Thank you for your help hehe..

Also were can I find EB in Canada?

carola August 28, 2013

I just made this recipe and it was delicious! i just added some beans and cherry tomatoes.. i think i will be making it again in the fall or winter.. do you know if it freezes well?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 29, 2013

I’m not sure about freezing it, but let me know if you try it out. :)

Ciera August 30, 2013

This was NOM. We added sweet potatoes as our root veggie. NOM NOM. Seriously awesome. Thank you so much!!!!!!

Shannon M September 3, 2013

This was delicious! Your recipes never let’s down. Didn’t realize I was out of celery until it was too late. So I skipped it, but added mushrooms and my leftover green beans. Can’t wait to eat the leftovers for lunch tomorrow! Big hit with the hubby!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2013

haha for a second, I thought I was reading a comment on my pink power smoothie post and I was like whaaa? then I realized it’s for shepherd’s pie…hah makes much more sense now!

Melissa September 8, 2013

Hi there,
Just wanted to thank you for the recipe!! I made it last night and it was soooo delicious (and the gravy, mmm). And finally I have something I can serve to my meat-and-salt-eating Austrian friends. :)
Looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

Joyce Hoffman September 13, 2013

Thanks for the great recipe. Made it for dinner last night with a few variations. My daughter is vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, and goitrogenic food-free. So I’m always looking for great recipes. I substituted ex. virgin ex. light olive oil for the vegan marg and used coconut milk for the potatoes (and left red skin on, too). Left out the parsnips and added a small can of portabella mushrooms. Served it with a lentil/pecan loaf and can’t wait for tonight’s leftovers.

Faith September 18, 2013

Just bought all the ingredients to make this! Question – if I wanted to make in advance, should I assemble and wait to bake until right before serving, or bake in advance and then pop in the oven to reheat before serving?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2013

Hey Faith, I haven’t tried either method, but you could probably do it either way? I can’t see why it wouldn’t work. I would probably assemble it in advance and then cook it later.

Faith September 19, 2013

Thank you!!

Belinda October 14, 2013

Tried this recipe and also added in red and golden beets, celery root, and mushroom. I roasted these separately before adding these in to be sauteed.

I found the recipe too thyme-y for my taste, and I should have added the lentils that I had purchased but forgot to throw in. Otherwise, it came out more as a sidedish feel (and lots of more starch-feeling than I had planned! Maybe some spinach would have helped, too).

However, the vegan gravy was delish and saved the day. Now, I’m just left eating the entire dish to myself because my semi-meat-eating mother did not like it that much. Not that terrible, but still. I’m going to gain weight from this if I don’t moderate! Maybe try something spicy to get me to stop snacking on it. Next time, will also try a curry or cumin version of this dish.

Laura October 20, 2013

Served this along with your excellent wild rice pilaf at our belated Canadian Thanksgiving dinner and it was a hit! Even the most skeptical meat-eater at the table – who was originally going to bring meat filled leftovers as a backup plan (!) loved it and wiped his plate clean. Thank you for sharing such delicious recipes with us!

Page 3 of 4«1234»