Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

IMG 2668   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Last June, my blog buddy Ashley came for a visit! It was our first time meeting ‘in real life’. I was nervous and basically had hot flashes anticipating her arrival.

IMG 9486b2 thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Luckily, we hit it off.  :)

We bonded over foodie gifts..

IMG 9499 thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia SeedIMG 9500 thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Oatmeal.

IMG 95312   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

[That would be my favourite VOO –> Cherry Chocolate Bomb Vegan Overnight Oats]

Photography…

IMG 9520 thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed1 of 13 thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

And hiking!

IMG 1558 thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Oh, and nut butter. It was on this visit that Ashley gave me some of her Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter and Salt-Kissed Cashew Butter.  Before then, I was always a Homemade Raw Almond Butter kinda gal, but she inspired me to experiment with other homemade nut butter flavours!

I have since made 4 Ingredient Dark Chocolate Almond Butter

IMG 8863 thumb thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter                                       and Dark Chocolate Pecan Butter

IMG 8759 thumb thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia SeedIMG 9019 thumb thumb   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Clearly my nut butters are simply another vessel for chocolate. I blame PMS.

Yesterday, I made a spin-off of Ashley’s Vanilla Bean Maple Almond Butter. It was also inspired by Naturally Nutty’s Cinnamon Vanilla Almond Butter made with chia, flax, and hemp seed that I spotted on Kath Eats. I thought the idea of adding chia, flax, and hemp seed was a great way to sneak in more nutrients.

And I’m totally down for anything that gives me another reason to eat nut butter!

IMG 2682   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

IMG 2629   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia SeedIMG 2494   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Have you ever made homemade nut butter before?

It is really quite easy if you have a processor or blender that will do the work. This recipe requires more time than any nut butter recipe I have made before (due to the almond roasting), but it was so worth it in the end!

Mix together the almonds, chia, flax, hemp, and maple syrup. Spread out onto a lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once half way through, at 300F.

IMG 2510   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed IMG 2513   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

After 30 minutes of roasting:

IMG 2523   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

Eric came into the kitchen when I was making this yesterday morning and he said, ’Mmm it smells amazing in here! WOW!

When I told him that I was making nut butter, he was crushed (he hates nut butter).

He thought I was making waffles!

I pity the fool.

IMG 2525   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

For the first 5 minutes of processing, stop and scrape down the bowl every 30-60 seconds as needed. In the initial stages, I stop every 30 seconds or so.

After 5 minutes (half-way point):

IMG 2530   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

After 5 more minutes of processing, my nut butter was ready! I added in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla around minute 9.

I won’t tell you how much fun licking the bowl is. That would just be mean.

IMG 2532   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

It makes about 1 and 1/4 cup.

IMG 2536   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed IMG 2546   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

The result is an almond butter with a deep roasted flavour and layers of nuttiness with just a hint of sweetness. I didn’t detect the chia, hemp, or flax flavours specifically, but I was happy knowing they were in there!

I enjoyed some apple slices spread with nut butter and strawberry jam.

IMG 2591   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia SeedI

Unreal!

The clean up for this photoshoot was also a good time. ;)

IMG 2672   Maple Cinnamon Almond Butter with Hemp, Flax, and Chia Seed

If you’d like to make chunky almond butter, you can process or chop some almonds and then stir it back into the almond butter. I think I will try that next time!

Does anyone know if I can make nut butter in my Vitamix without a DRY container? I’m scared to ruin it!

Have a great Monday!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 14, 2011

My husband would choose Skippy PB over any nut butter. There are some battles I cannot win! I’ve never made my own nut butter, but I think I will have to try. I love cashew butter and almond butter…especially when chocolate is added!

Jennifer March 14, 2011

Love the addition of chia, what a great idea! :) Definitely adding the ingredients to the grocery list for the week, thank you! (And…thanks for the photography inspiration. You are SO great at photo journaling)

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life March 14, 2011

That looks so wonderful! Lately I have been putting hemp seeds, chia seeds and flax seeds into everything. And my favorite nut butter right now happens to be Justin’s Maple Almond Butter. So that’s perfect! :-) I am sooooo making this. I am in desperate need of a new food processor though. I think I might have to go out and buy myself a present today! A good food processor is definitely a necessity!

marla {family fresh cooking} March 14, 2011

I do not make homemade nut butters and it is essential that I do. We go through so many jars each week. Loving how many goodies you have in yours. How sweet was that visit you had with Ashley. You gals are so cute together. xo

Gina March 14, 2011

I’ve wondered the same thing about the Vitamix! Hopefully someone knows the answer.

Eric doesn’t like nut butters?!! I think we need to have an intervention…

Ashley March 14, 2011

Awwwwww!! Brought a tear to my eye. I was just looking at the photos from our visit the other day. :) Your latest nut butter looks amazing! I have added flax to one of the nut butters before and LOVED it. That’s awesome that you didn’t have to add any extra oil, either. I always seem to have to add 1T when I use the maple syrup. Looks perfect though!! Wish we lived closerrrrrrr…we could totally help each other w/the reno projects!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I know, the renos would be much more fun if we could blog about them together…hah.
PS- I find that the maple syrup can make it really thick too (I think it is the coldness of it firming it up?), so I added all 3 tbsp to the roasting part and didnt add any while processing. It seemed to work a bit better for me because I didnt need any oil. I’m not sure if it changes thr flavour though, but it was still tasty!

JL Goes Vegan March 14, 2011

Gorgeous and delicious!! Wow!

Ashley March 14, 2011

p.s. i’m coming to steal your natural light!

you can have it, it’s called Lightroom. LOL

Ashley March 14, 2011

p.p.s. i was having hot flashes wondering why i decided to drive to Canada in the middle of the night, lol…border crossing at 10pm, alone..sure why not!

Ana March 14, 2011

Yes, the vitamix work! I don’t have a food processor (I know, the horror!), and only have the regular container of my vitamix, and I make all my nut butters as well as my coconut buter in the vitamix!
It works like magic, just make sure to have enough ingredients to come above the blade so it gets properly mixed, use the tamper as needed to push the nuts (or coconut) down and whiz it away, works perfectly!
Ana

Sarah @ becoming-sarah March 14, 2011

Wow, you’ve inspired me… I really need to branch out and try making something other than plain almond butter. Now if only I could hand in some homemade nut butter to my prof instead of the 10 page essay I have due…

Jenn from Much to My Delight March 14, 2011

That was the most delicious looking post I’ve ever read. That creamy, drippy, sweet stuff is almost too much for me to bear. If I had a food processor and a bag of nuts in my office I’d be whipping up some of that goodness right now.

hehe thanks!

Ashley March 14, 2011

This looks amazing! I want to make all your nut butter recipes– but I have one question (and sorry if it sounds silly!) but I only have a blender (not a food processor or super awesome blender). Is it possible to make the nut butter in it? I’m assuming it’s possible, it’ll just take longer?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I’ve heard it is possible using a Vitamix, but I don’t think it would work with a normal blender. Some commenters above even said it was tough with a Vitamix.

Ashley March 14, 2011

Aw, that just means I get to invest in a good food processor;) Have any advice on a good brand?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I use a 12 cup Kitchen aid and it works pretty good, although not flawless.

Ashley March 14, 2011

Awesome! Thank you:) I’ve always wanted a Kitchen Aid mixer– both that and a food processor are just going on my wish list for now:)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 14, 2011

Such a good idea to cook the other seeds with your almonds! And what a nice tribute to Ash!

Tami March 14, 2011

You can use the wet blade to make nut butters. I do it all the time. The cd I got from vitamix made it in wet blade so don’t be scared! I’m definitely going to make this today! Yummy!

Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 14, 2011

OMGOSH! Looks tasty! I need a food processor STAT!!!

Baking 'n' Books March 14, 2011

Do you make homemade Jam? Or what kind do you get?

…I have no idea if my comments are even showing up…I don’t think they are..

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

Nope, that was just store bought PC strawberry jam. Love that stuff.
I checked my comments and I didnt have any in my spam for you, although occasionally I will miss some.

Baking 'n' Books March 14, 2011

I love that Jam! Love the big strawberry chunks :)

Jenny March 14, 2011

I love nut butters!!! YUM!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 14, 2011

Ashley has the best nutbutter recipes! This looks delicious.

ASK March 14, 2011

Yea, it’s absolutely no problem making nut butters in the vitamix wet container. I’ve done it for almond, walnut, and peanut butters before. That said, a food processor is better than the vitamix just for ease of cleaning. It takes a while to scrape all of the nut butter out of the vitamix; it’s so much easier to take out the blade of the food processor and gather up every last bit of the butter, or so I imagine. I don’t have a food processor, so I stick with the vitamix.

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe March 14, 2011

This looks delicious, Angela! I’ve made nut butter in the wet container of my Vitamix many times, and it worked just fine. I had to keep it at a low speed for much of the process and keep pushing down with the tamper, but it came out really smooth. I’m totally inspired to try new ad ins now! I’ve been debating getting a small food processor. I used to have a food processor attachment on my blender, but then my blender broke and I replaced it with my Vitamix.

Do you think it’s worth it to buy a food processor if i already have a Vitamix? What kinds of things to do you think are better done in a food processor, if any?

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 14, 2011

Wowww~Delicious! I have made nut butters at home many times, but they never come out creamy like that b/c of the processor i think. But maybe I just didn’t process as long as I should have?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I can’t comment on your processor…but I can tell you that I am sometimes tempted to stop too soon, but if I process a couple minutes longer, it become soooooo drippy. I think it is because the machine also heats it up a lot as it processes! The blade was SO hot I almost burned my finger on it!

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 14, 2011

ohhhh kkkkkkkk thank you so much for comment! now it’s not so discouraging to keep churning it, b/c sometimes i’m scared it’ll break haha :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 14, 2011

Ohhh my gosh goodness gracious. Those are my four favorite ingredients in the whole entire world. I am making this now!!

Heather March 14, 2011

Hi Angela – when I bought my vitamix at the home show the rep told me I could make nut butter in it. I only have the wet blade. He told me the dry blade was if you were grinding your own flour. I haven’t tried it yet though.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 14, 2011

The nut butter looks amazing and I bet your house smelled WONDERFULLY with the smell of roasting nuts, maple, cinnamon. Oh my. :)

The posts of you and Ashley. I remember those! It feels like a lifetime ago…and just a minute ago. I would love to meet both of you!

I would love to have a hike, have photography chats, and have a drink or two with you amazing ladies :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

You are welcome any time! I suggest post-May though when it warms up… ;)

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 14, 2011

what a great idea! you are so creative, it continues to amaze me!

Ana March 14, 2011

I’d love to try this recipe- thanks for sharing it! How long can you keep homemade nut butters? I think we’ll eat this one far before it’s expiration date!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I would guess they would keep as long as store bought natural nut butters. Ive never had one go bad on me before. I would guess at least 3-4 weeks.

sarah March 14, 2011

Where do you get those teeny mason jars, they are too cute. Must find some soon. I’m in Ontario, do you usually find them at the grocery store???

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

I think I got the small ones at Wal-Mart in their canning/kitchen section :)

Kath March 14, 2011

Oh boy I could just dive into that!

Also, meant to say I love your new favicon :)

Thanks!
I won’t tell you how long it took me to create one. LOL

Kath March 14, 2011

I’m sure we could compete for “most hours wasted figuring out favicons” :)

Ally (oatsandspice) March 14, 2011

Why do you always make the BESTTT recipes?! I wish I could come up with the amazing things that you do! Thanks for sharing girly :)

Namaste Gurl March 14, 2011

Oh my goodness, hemp, chia, almonds, and flax? What a nutritional powerhouse nut butter this is indeed! I am SO on it when I find some free- time in my busy schedule! Good call on ingredients!

Jennifer March 14, 2011

Hey Angela,
I have two recipes from the vita prep cookbook, if you want to send your email to me I can scan them and send them off to you. One is hazelnut and the other is peanut or cashew butter.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 14, 2011

Thanks Jennifer! I think I have the cookbook you speak of, I will have to check!

AGS March 14, 2011

I’m sorry I can’t answer your question, but I do have some rather ground-breaking news: I finally got around to making my own coconut butter. I used my plain jane Oster blender, and it did a pretty great job. I wanted to make your vegan macaroons for a party this coming weekend, and am relieved/happy that the first step worked out so well.

That is great!!!
I have heard such great things about the Oster!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) March 14, 2011

o.my. must make asap :)

laura March 14, 2011

I miss my almond butter!
This looks fantastic.

Betsy March 14, 2011

I’m with Eric, I HATE nut butters, peanut, soynut, almost – you name it – what is wrong with me? I enjoyed the post nonetheless, I just cannot get excited about ground up gooey nuts!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 14, 2011

I’m dying to make my own almond butter but I’m not sure if my food processor can handle it. Do you think a small 3-cup Cuisinart will do the job?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 14, 2011

I have never made my own almond butter because I don’t have a food processor … but this recipe is reason enough to go and buy one!

Kathryn March 14, 2011

Oh man, I came buy to drool over the nut butter again before I leave work for the day (I’m sad) and I read a little more closely about the hubs coming into the kitchen. I read “I pity the fool” and totally laughed out loud in a dead silent office. Nice.

Pia March 14, 2011

You can use the wet container to make nut butters with your vitamix. Just so you know, in the Vitamix recipe book, whenever you need to use the dry blade container, it is specified in the recipe. It is not specified for nut butters. There is an online demo on the vitamix site (can’t see the blade tho’), you may want to check it out.

Page 2 of 4«1234»