Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

IMG 2484 2   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

This week has been a great week for leftovers!

We have been enjoying all kinds of reheated meals from Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze, to Tomato Barley Risotto, and some Holiday Soup For The Soul that I defrosted from the freezer. I don’t know why leftovers get such a bad rep…I’m always so happy when I realize that dinner is already cooked for me. I like to pretend that I have a personal chef when I eat leftovers.

After making Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze this week, I had some leftover cheeze sauce to use up. I have been drizzling it on wraps and sandwiches and even dipping tortilla chips in it. It is quite a versatile little sauce!

Then I decided to put a new spin on a favourite recipe of ours, Tomato Barley Risotto.

IMG 7824 thumb1   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I made a double batch this time, which is always great for leftovers. This dish reheats nicely and it is really fun to sprinkle on wraps or just reheat in a bowl with a splash of milk.

IMG 2468   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

But back to the sauce.

I think you know where I’m going with this idea…

IMG 23341   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas IMG 2470   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

It was such a simple addition to the Tomato Barley Risotto, but the outcome was amazing. With just a bit of sauce stirred in, this dish was transformed!

IMG 2477   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I mixed in about 1/2 cup of the cheeze sauce for a double batch (I didn’t really measure, but just added it to taste). It was mind-blowing good food.

Eric said, ‘Who knew you could eat something that tastes so creamy and cheesy and it would be vegan?’

I lit up like a Christmas Tree.

IMG 2479   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

This dinner is going on a regular rotation for sure. I think it was the creamiest and most cheesy tasting vegan dish I have ever made (aside from the mac ‘n cheeze of course).

Lunch

I don’t show too many lunches on the blog, but this lunch was new and unusual so I thought I would share it with you.

The star of the show was Fresh Dill!

Do you guys ever cook with fresh dill?

IMG 2179   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I have been in love with anything Dill flavoured ever since I was a kid (but mostly just Lays Dill Chips!). Growing up, I couldn’t get enough of those salty, deep-fried, crispy, tangy bites of processed crap. I needed an intervention.

Fast forward to today, and while I love the idea of cramming a bunch of dill chips into my mouth, I’m not so keen on the idea of MSG or other mystery ingredients that lurk in these foods. I’ll take fresh dill any day.

For some reason though, I don’t buy fresh dill very often (I guess I just don’t know what to use it in!), but I really think I should. I originally planned on making Homemade Dill Chips (adapting the Salt & Vinegar Chip recipe), but I forgot to buy potatoes, so I decided the next best thing would be to make Dill Chip Chickpeas. They turned out wonderful.

Eat your heart out Lays.

IMG 2216 2   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

IMG 2184   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas IMG 2177   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I roasted these, but I preferred the flavour before roasting, so next time I will just mix and serve!

IMG 2181   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I enjoyed it with a rainbow of chopped veggies, sprinkled with dill and lemon, and served with hummus.

IMG 2199 3   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

It was such a great lunch and it really got me in the Spring mood. wlEmoticon sun   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

IMG 2213   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

In home décor news, we finally have something on the walls I can show you.

I picked up this plate-inspired wall décor on sale at Pier 1 last week. I thought it was perfect for the warm colours in our house.

IMG 23511   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

Eric said The Crazy Dish Lady now has dishes on the WALLS and he laughed at me.

IMG 9792   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I guess he has a point…

IMG 2347   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

Today we are knee deep in taxes (personal and business), bill payments, and I also have a bunch of paperwork to complete. It’s one of those days when you wake up and you realize that you can’t put it off another day longer or two men will show up in dark suits and you’ll never be heard from again.

On a happier note, don’t forget to Spring Forward tonight! Yawhoo!! I have some fun Spring-inspired recipes coming up this week to get you in the mood.

Alaina March 12, 2011

Those flavors look so light and summery! I love it :-)

And the dishes compliment the colors so well! They’re very fall-ey.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 12, 2011

Your walls look beautiful! Love the plate decor. :)

Thanks for the cheezy sauce recipe, it sounds delicious!!

Ariana March 12, 2011

Yes – I love to cook with fresh dill, it looks so beautiful as decoration and it tastes good with nearly everything :-)
And I love your wall decoration, I have never seen something like this but it’s stunning! And lastly I love your pictures – they look really professional!

Cara Craves... March 12, 2011

I made barley risotto this week too.
I have been putting the leftovers on salad and
stuffing it inside my omelet at lunch time.
I love leftovers!

kaila March 12, 2011

Do I spy a future vegan?!?! *cough* eric *cough* ;) Sounds like he’s really been enjoying the vegan food lately!

I TOTALLY LOVE DILL! I put in the salmon burgers I make and I have even made dill humus (it’s delicious btw!)! I love roasted chickpeas to so this will be perfect for me!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 12, 2011

Those dishes look great against the green paint colour! Great eye, Ange!! I was more of a salt and vinegar chip fan as a kid but I LOVE dill now and I often mix it into my tuna salads with some plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and black pepper. Normally I don’t buy a lot of fresh herbs because I can never use them up before they go off. These chickpeas sound amazing though, so I think I’ll have to give them a try!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' March 12, 2011

I am in LOVE with fresh dill lately! I made a tahini-dill dressing the other day, and I was licking the spoon it was so good! It’s made me look forward to eating salads every day this week!

Can’t wait to try that “cheesy” risotto– it looks insanely delicious.

Sasha March 12, 2011

i LOVE using fresh dill – Try it in a vegetable soup, tomato based type works best and I use quite a bit in the recipe but go to your own taste. The chickpeas sound great, I cant wait to try them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2011

Thanks for the tips, will have to try this :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 12, 2011

Love those plates on the wall! So pretty!

I love dill chickpeas! I made them a while ago, and they are divine!

Emily March 12, 2011

Yum, I loooove dill! Those plates have the perfect colors and textures for that wall. I love it!

Audrey March 12, 2011

Those chickpeas sound so good! It reminds me of something I’ve been making lately–dill hummus! I just throw some dried dill into the mix along with the other ingredients (lemon, garlic, tahini, pepper, cayenne, chickpeas, onion powder, etc.). It’s a really fun way to mix up the hummus routine. I also love cumin hummus.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2011

I have lemon dill hummus on my list this week!

Moni'sMeals March 12, 2011

Love these dishes! Been lovin Dill lately too. Will you cook and decorate for me…please!!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day March 12, 2011

Those dilly chickpeas look great! I am a huge fan of roasted chickpeas..

I love your plates too.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 13, 2011

My aunt has the same dishes! Did you get them at Pier 1? I am addicted to that store. zomg.

I make baked chickpeas just like this but I use lemon juice in place of the balsamic. I was planning to make a batch of baked chicks tomorrow… I sense dill in my future!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2011

Yup the blue bowl, orange bowl and white plate are from pier 1. :) Loooooove their dishes.

Hannah March 13, 2011

I’d rather have plates on the wall than the enormous poster of Brad Pitt’s head that my housemate once put up… nothing against Brad Pitt, of course, but it didn’t feel very classy to have him in the house in paper form ;)

I love dill but have only ever used it with fish before, so I’m super happy to have a vegan recipe for it on hand :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 13, 2011

haha that is hilarious!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss March 13, 2011

Dill is one of the best things about springing forward! I’m so excited about all of the wonderful ingredients that will be popping up in season very soon:)

Sarah L. March 13, 2011

Your tomato barley risotto has become a staple for me so I can’t wait to try this variation and those chickpeas sound absolutely delicious. I was also a sucker for Lay’s dill pickle chips when I was younger. :)

Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel March 13, 2011

Risotto in a Wrap!?! Ok, super impressed by this one Angela- that looks like a wonderful idea <3
MmMMmm and Dill tastes so good! i love it with squash too, like baked kabocha squash, which makes it extra savory tasting :)

xoxo

melanie March 13, 2011

Great vegan recipes. Hope tax stuff goes well. I am doing my taxes this weekend too. I procrastinated last week and weekend. I decided to do them this weekend because I know if I procrastinated this weekend I would keep putting it off and I just want them to be done and mailed so I do not have to worry about them or be crunched for time.

Danielle March 13, 2011

I have seen that wall plate arrangement at Pier 1 and I love them! The colours work so nice together! And those dill chickpeas looks fantastic. I LOVE DILL

Kendel @ Eating Abroad March 13, 2011

When you mention that you used the leftover cheese sauce, is this pre or post adding the butternut squash for the mac and cheese?

Jen March 13, 2011

I never cook with fresh dill, but those dill chip chickpeas are so amazing. I definitely have to try this. And, the dishes on the wall look very nice of course. Thanks.

The Teenage Taste March 13, 2011

Hey, you’re not the only one obsessed with dishes! I am too! :-)
I love the new dish artwork!

Carpensm @ A Life Without Ice Cream March 13, 2011

Yum everything on this post looks so yummy! Maybe I’m just hungry but wow :P Also, love the plates! I never go to Pier 1 … bad things happen to my visa there :P

Natalia - a side of simple March 13, 2011

The hanging dish-display is beautiful! I’m currently adding it to my list of decoration DOs when I have my own place. I don’t think I can currently justify hanging one in my bedroom…

teresa March 13, 2011

Angela~Your recipes look amazing!
I have started seeing a nutritionist who is introducing me to an whole new world of food!
It is really exciting…and I already feel better!
I could honestly spend the day over here checking out EVERYTHING!
Your story is very inspiring!
So glad you are living LIFE with such PASSION!
Thanks for sharing!
You are a tremendous resource!
xo

Alexa @ SimpleEats March 13, 2011

I NEED to make these chickpeas…yum!

faith @ gracefulfitness March 13, 2011

I don’t use dill very often but I added it (dry) to our pasta last night and my husband went nut for it, I have to remember to use it more often! I just planted a bunch from seed so hopefully I will soon be overwhelmed with it and will be making these chickpeas all summer!

Kelsey March 13, 2011

I LOVE dill but I always forget about it for some reason. Those chickpeas look tasty!

And love your plate wall display! So adorable, what a great idea!

Kath (My Funny Little Life) March 13, 2011

Your plates are such a beautiful decor! And mmmmmm, these dishes look really good! I’m getting an appetite for dill now. :)

Zestful Lou March 13, 2011

I made the chocolate cupcakes that you posted a couple days ago. I modified them a teensy bit but everyone (even the picky family) liked them! Vegan-ified success!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 13, 2011

I absolutely adore Chickpeas!!! Do you think I could blend this up and make Hummus out of it? :D

xoxox
Kathleen

Amy March 13, 2011

I had a go at the barley risotto last night and it was delicious!! I used fresh tomatos as well as tinned, and threw in a bunch of spinach as well and it was utterly delectable! My meat-loving partner thought it was awesome and we both really enjoyed the texture of the barley. Such a nice change form rice, which I am not a huge fan of anyway. Thanks heaps for the recipe, glad it caught my eye this time :) I think it will definitely be a staple in my house from now on!

Lauren March 14, 2011

Your dill chip chickpeas have inspired me to make bbq chip chickpeas with some left over seasoning i have!! I looove bbq chips but clearly they aren’t as good for you as chickpeas. I’ll let you know how my experiment goes tonight :)

Lauren March 15, 2011

Update: A little BBQ seasoning is fantastic on crispy chickpeas!

Alyssa March 14, 2011

We had your Tomato Barley Risotto tonight and OMGoodness! It is so good. Everyone ate it all up. Next time I will have to try it with some cheeze sauce. Dill and Cilantro are my favorite herbs, personally I can’t think of much that they won’t be good on. Can’t wait to try the dill chip chickpeas!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 15, 2011

Love the plates on the wall!! Love chickpeas too. Have you heard of “The Indian Slow Cooker” by Anupy Singla?? She takes DRIED beans, unsoaked, and uses the slow cooker to make amazing Indian food. It is so simple & so dirt cheap. Nearly the entire book is vegan and she has lots of yummy black chickpea, and regular chickpea recipes. I have blogged many of our results with the recipes.
Love your blog.

Alison March 16, 2011

Great minds think alike! I have the same exact dishes on my kitchen wall! Although, I like yours better with the green paint rather than my yellow. :)

Lynna March 17, 2011

Hey Angela,

Your risotto looked so delicious that I had to make my own. I adapted your recipe and made a Vegan Mushroom and Farro Risotto. I’ve never made vegan risotto before and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Thanks for the recipe inspiration! Here’s a link to my post if you’re interested: http://amourpetitgateau.blogspot.com/2011/03/vegan-mushroom-and-farro-risotto.html

Amy March 19, 2011

Thanks, Angela! I made the risotto last night and it was a big hit! I accidentally bought wheat berries instead of barley (I live in South America, so sometimes I forget to look up the spanish name for what I’m buying!), but it still turned out nice and chewy. Right before all the broth absorbed, I added two big handfuls of spinach and let it cook into the risotto … delicious!

Page 2 of 2«12