Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

IMG 2484 2   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

This week has been a great week for leftovers!

We have been enjoying all kinds of reheated meals from Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze, to Tomato Barley Risotto, and some Holiday Soup For The Soul that I defrosted from the freezer. I don’t know why leftovers get such a bad rep…I’m always so happy when I realize that dinner is already cooked for me. I like to pretend that I have a personal chef when I eat leftovers.

After making Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze this week, I had some leftover cheeze sauce to use up. I have been drizzling it on wraps and sandwiches and even dipping tortilla chips in it. It is quite a versatile little sauce!

Then I decided to put a new spin on a favourite recipe of ours, Tomato Barley Risotto.

IMG 7824 thumb1   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I made a double batch this time, which is always great for leftovers. This dish reheats nicely and it is really fun to sprinkle on wraps or just reheat in a bowl with a splash of milk.

IMG 2468   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

But back to the sauce.

I think you know where I’m going with this idea…

IMG 23341   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas IMG 2470   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

It was such a simple addition to the Tomato Barley Risotto, but the outcome was amazing. With just a bit of sauce stirred in, this dish was transformed!

IMG 2477   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I mixed in about 1/2 cup of the cheeze sauce for a double batch (I didn’t really measure, but just added it to taste). It was mind-blowing good food.

Eric said, ‘Who knew you could eat something that tastes so creamy and cheesy and it would be vegan?’

I lit up like a Christmas Tree.

IMG 2479   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

This dinner is going on a regular rotation for sure. I think it was the creamiest and most cheesy tasting vegan dish I have ever made (aside from the mac ‘n cheeze of course).

Lunch

I don’t show too many lunches on the blog, but this lunch was new and unusual so I thought I would share it with you.

The star of the show was Fresh Dill!

Do you guys ever cook with fresh dill?

IMG 2179   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I have been in love with anything Dill flavoured ever since I was a kid (but mostly just Lays Dill Chips!). Growing up, I couldn’t get enough of those salty, deep-fried, crispy, tangy bites of processed crap. I needed an intervention.

Fast forward to today, and while I love the idea of cramming a bunch of dill chips into my mouth, I’m not so keen on the idea of MSG or other mystery ingredients that lurk in these foods. I’ll take fresh dill any day.

For some reason though, I don’t buy fresh dill very often (I guess I just don’t know what to use it in!), but I really think I should. I originally planned on making Homemade Dill Chips (adapting the Salt & Vinegar Chip recipe), but I forgot to buy potatoes, so I decided the next best thing would be to make Dill Chip Chickpeas. They turned out wonderful.

Eat your heart out Lays.

IMG 2216 2   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

IMG 2184   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas IMG 2177   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I roasted these, but I preferred the flavour before roasting, so next time I will just mix and serve!

IMG 2181   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I enjoyed it with a rainbow of chopped veggies, sprinkled with dill and lemon, and served with hummus.

IMG 2199 3   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

It was such a great lunch and it really got me in the Spring mood. wlEmoticon sun   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

IMG 2213   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

In home décor news, we finally have something on the walls I can show you.

I picked up this plate-inspired wall décor on sale at Pier 1 last week. I thought it was perfect for the warm colours in our house.

IMG 23511   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

Eric said The Crazy Dish Lady now has dishes on the WALLS and he laughed at me.

IMG 9792   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

I guess he has a point…

IMG 2347   Ultra Creamy & Cheezy Tomato Risotto & Dill Chip Chickpeas

Today we are knee deep in taxes (personal and business), bill payments, and I also have a bunch of paperwork to complete. It’s one of those days when you wake up and you realize that you can’t put it off another day longer or two men will show up in dark suits and you’ll never be heard from again.

On a happier note, don’t forget to Spring Forward tonight! Yawhoo!! I have some fun Spring-inspired recipes coming up this week to get you in the mood.

CathyK March 12, 2011

i love that you have a collection of crazy lady dishes, angela! that is what i am aspiring to collect this year (a goal for 2011). i would like everything to be mismatched and to make me happy with either colour or “vibe.” just picked up a rather kitschy plate on vacation – but it will make me smile when i used it at home.
i really like the wall art! good choice!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 12, 2011

Risotto is my all-time favorite dish! I cannot wait to try this! I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it! :-)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 12, 2011

I love dill too! Oh my gosh… definitely making those dill chickpeas.

Lesley Lifting Life March 12, 2011

First … that does look ultra creamy and ultra delicious!!

Second … I love the new wall decor, it’s perfect!

Andrea @ Vegvacious March 12, 2011

I love your new Pier One purchase ~ how appropriate!

I love chickpeas and I love Lays Dill Pickle Chips, so I will definitely be trying this recipe!

Lauren March 12, 2011

I love this — I have the exact same wall decor in our apartment! You have good taste :) In food and decor!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

The salesclerk was telling me that the wall decor was featured on some home decor TV shows and in magazines…I suspect many people have it on their walls! haha

Nikita March 12, 2011

I love dill too! I like to add fresh dill to green salads- it makes them so flavorful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

me too! I added fresh dill to the salad I posted yesterday…it was fun!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 12, 2011

Wow, that risotto looks so creamy and delicious! I cannot wait to try it. I’ve had chickpeas on the brain lately too, and that hummus plate looks like a perfect lunch for a warm day like today (finally :) ) The wall decor is beautiful! I love how it harmonizes and accents at the same time.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather March 12, 2011

I love love love that plate decor! It’s so cute.

I am all about left overs too. I eat left overs basically every day for lunch and love when I can recreate them into something even better the next time. The cheezy risotto sounds delicious!

Sarah @ veggie-kids.blogspot.com/ March 12, 2011

Have you ever thought of growing your own dill? You could even do it indoors in a window sill or something until the weather warms up. There’s nothing like fresh herbs growing in the kitchen and then actually being able to cook with them that makes you feel like you’re in touch with nature!
I love the plates on the wall too!
Taxes…yes, taxes. My hubby and I are still dealing with all the prep. work that goes into it, especially when you have you own business….so fun.
Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

Yes! I do want to grow my own herbs definitely. I have tried growing basil a few times and had NO luck at all, so I’m a bit apprehensive, but hopefully I can grow some this year!

Emily (Comfortable Home Life) March 12, 2011

I seriously just dropped everything I was doing to make those Dill Chip Chickpeas. I.love.dill.

I’ll have to try in in my salad soon. Two of my favorite recipes include dill: 101Cookbooks’ Carrot, Dill & White Bean Salad Recipe & Veganomicon’s Dill Basmati Rice with Chard and Chickpeas. SO DELICIOUS.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

mm thanks for the suggestions!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life March 12, 2011

I love that plate with the little place on the side for a fork or hummus!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 12, 2011

Your barley rissoto looks amazing Ange! I love risotto, anything cheezy and also barley. Match made in heaven. I feel the same way about leftovers and especially like them when they can be frozen and eaten long after the dish has been cooked. I almost always enjoy it more the 2nd time when there are far less dishes to do afterward. :D

kate@ahealthypassion March 12, 2011

I love fresh dill can’t wait to start getting it in our csa box! Im so excited for spring, bring on the recipes :) If only the weather would cooperate!

Baking 'n' Books March 12, 2011

I forgot about the clocks…oh darn.

Eek – I need to start on that tax thing myself. I’m scared to face the (gulp) truth…

Lauren Reid March 12, 2011

i never know what to do w/ dill either! i’m def. gonna pick some up next time and try this, i mean can anything w/ chickpeas be bad? well….. let’s not tempt fate… :P

and i had to giggle cuz i have those SAME Pier1 plate/hanging in my house!!! :D

thanks for the great inspiration as always!

xo

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 12, 2011

Creamy + cheezy + chickpeas = in my belly. You are a deliciousness conisseur Ang!!:)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 12, 2011

I’m a huge fan of dill as well. It adds such great flavour to summer grain salads and dips! I was never a huge fan of dill flavoured chips, but those chickpeas sure look good! :D

Amber K March 12, 2011

I think leftovers get a bad rap because the texture is almost always different. I’m a huge texture person and I can’t stand leftovers becaue they are never as fresh or as crisp as when they were originally made.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 12, 2011

I love PIer 1 — I worked for them for 6 years – all through high school and college. Sometimes I wish I still worked for them!

The chickpeas sound delicious! You are so creative in the kitchen :)

Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 12, 2011

YAY SPRING!! i still have to get my taxes done.. blahh haha :)

Rachel March 12, 2011

Hahaha I’ve almost bought the same piece before… Rented one-bedroom apartment, though, so it’d probably annoy my landlord if I were to hang it up as it’s so heavy…

And clearly, I need to stop dragging my feet and buy some barley…

Rachel March 12, 2011

I love Pier 1, and that piece looks great against the wall color. Where do you buy your ceramic spoons? I can not seem to find them.

I am going to have to make the dill chickpeas, it looks so fresh and amazing! Thanks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

the spoons are mostly from Crate & Barrel and this kitchen store in Florida (cant remember the name) :)

Rachel March 12, 2011

Thank you for the quick response. I never thought to look at Crate & Barrel. Thank you so much for the info.

Have a great weekend. Thanks again.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

you too! :)

Jennifer March 12, 2011

Can’t wait to try these dill chips but I don’t have any dill in the house. It’s on my list.

Hillary March 12, 2011

I loved those dill pickle chips!! Can’t wait to try your version.
I LOVE your plates on the wall. It looks amazing. Those colors are great.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 12, 2011

I don’t even like risotto and that looks fantastic! Have a wonderful weekend:-)

Mel March 12, 2011

I’m addicted to tomato barley risotto. It’s so chewy and tasty and yum so will definitly try this.

Jamie March 12, 2011

Made the creamy tomato risotto for lunch today, AMAZING! So good I didn’t want to stop eating it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

glad to hear that!

Jen March 12, 2011

I’ve been stumbling upon a lot of chickpea recipes lately! Not complaining though…I love them! Yours look great. Fresh herbs are the best!

Kris | iheartwellness.com March 12, 2011

Hahahahaha!!! I love your “crazy plate lady” decor and I think it would look glorious in my dining room ;)

I MUST try this cheesy dish….I am drooling over here just dreaming of it!

Happy Tax Weekend!

mwah!
xxoo

Kelsey @ Clean Teen Kelsey March 12, 2011

Oh wow, that barley risotto looks heavenly. Must try that asap!

I will be making those chickpeas for lunch this afternoon, mark my words. Would dried dill work? Because that’s all I have. :) I wonder how much I would use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

I don’t think the Dill flavour would be as strong, but its worth a shot!

Lana March 12, 2011

1) I’m loving the dish wall!!! (I secretly thought about stealing the idea)
2) I absolutely love roasted chickpeas and am definitely going to have to remember to try this dill recipe.
3) You are becoming an AMAZING photographer. I’ve been reading the blog for a long time and decided to comment on it :)

Have a super duper weekend!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 12, 2011

Ellie@fitforthesoul March 12, 2011

Chickpeas–yes please. dill? but of course! what a great combo~~! I bet this would taste great with mustard, my fave mmmmm

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 12, 2011

Love those dishes you crazy dish lady :) I have an obsession with glass jars and containers :) You had me sold just looking at your picture of the rissoto but when I read down and saw those glorious dill chickpeas….Oh me oh my!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 12, 2011

two great recipes in one day! I’m a happy gal right now :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 12, 2011

Interesting to note this “Note: I tried roasting the chickpeas, but I preferred the flavour much more before roasting.”–

Very good info, thank you! My mind immediately went to roasting them til i read that but I can see how actually roasting/carmelizing them may not be the best with the dill flavor. I bet they would be PERFECT in salads.

I just made a raw zucchini pasta salad this week with chickpeas and homemade lemon, herb, and dill dressing. I love dill! SUCH a wonderful spring and summer-like flavor for me.

LOVE the plates from Pier 1 too!!!!!!

Katheryn March 12, 2011

Love the plates! It seems very you!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 12, 2011

Ooooh the fresh dill and chickpeas looks incredible! :-)

Roz March 12, 2011

OMG, a friend of ours just bought the SAME plates from Pier 1 last week. And it looks great in BOTH places. Love “recycled” recipes. Yay for leftovers. Have a good weekend.

Stephanie Hasbrouck March 12, 2011

Hi Angela! I am so happy to have found your blog! Last April, I became a vegetarian (well, mostly vegetarian – still eat fish occasionally). I love the way it makes me feel, but I have been running out of recipe ideas. I am an advocate of clean eating, but I find myself buying processed foods more than I should. Now that I’ve found your site, I won’t be doing that as much anymore! I love all of your recipe ideas! I can’t wait to try them! Thanks for the inspiration!

Page 1 of 212»