Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

IMG 2385   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I have been dying to add butternut squash into my Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe ever since I featured Lou’s Macaroni Un-Cheese recipe in my Recipe Link Love last week. Butternut squash pureed into macaroni and cheese just sounds like a match made in heaven, doesn’t it? It is also a fun way to sneak in another veggie.

IMG 2366   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I also happen to love Butternut Squash, but I always forget to buy it at the grocery store, so this was a great reminder to buy one.

IMG 2321   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I ended up playing around with my original cheese sauce recipe and I made two versions, the second one I will be sharing with you today.

IMG 2323   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The first thing you do is peel and chop half of a Butternut Squash. Place it into a bowl and add a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt ‘n pepa!

IMG 2326   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 425F, flipping once half way through baking. You can do this ahead of time if preferred.

IMG 2328   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Buttery squashy deliciousness!

While the squash is roasting, make your ‘cheeze sauce’ in the food processor. I adapted my original recipe quite a bit and I was really happy with the result. This cheeze sauce is also easier to make than the other version which is always nice.

Now, add the roasted squash into the cheeze sauce and process until smooth. It makes about 3.5 cups of sauce.

IMG 2334   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Cook your desired pasta. I used a full bag (~450 grams or 4.5 cups dry pasta) of Brown Rice Penne for the casserole option.

IMG 2329   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Drain the pasta and add in the cheese sauce. Depending on how much sauce you want, you might not use it all. I also added some peas and you can get creative with any kinds of mix-ins you want. Broccoli is also fantastic. You can also add a bit of non-dairy milk if the sauce thickens up too much.

IMG 2337   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

At this point you can enjoy your pasta a couple ways:

1) Heat the mixture in the pot and serve immediately.

2) Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.

For my first trial, I baked it in the oven and for the second trial I enjoyed it heated up straight from the pot without baking. I think I like it straight from the pot because it isn’t as thick and heavy as the casserole.

IMG 2343   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

If baking in the oven, add on your breadcrumbs.

IMG 2345   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

After, 20-25 minutes you have a fun B’nut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze that will serve 3-4 people for a main course.

IMG 2360   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

If you serve it straight from the pot, the great thing is that you can make only as much as you want. If you only want 1 serving of pasta, you can add as much sauce as you need and then store the rest in the fridge. I’m not sure how long the sauce keeps in the fridge (3-4 days would be my guess), but I’m sure the sauce recipe can also be halved too!

IMG 2365   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

IMG 2368   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The first trial I made came out just OK (I think I used too much lemon juice and cashews), but Eric and I both enjoyed the second trial! You can’t really detect the butternut squash, but it does provide a nice flavour overall and I love getting in another vegetable. For the second trial, I reduced the lemon, cut the cashews in half, and adjusted the rest of my cheeze sauce ingredients.

I encourage you to adjust the sauce to your own taste buds because I find that vegan cheeze sauces are such a ‘personal preference’ kinda thing!

IMG 2371   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The casserole is fun, but I think for simplicity sake, I prefer heating it up in a pot and enjoying it immediately. I’m an instant gratification kinda gal when it comes to pasta.

Reno Talk

Thank you for your nice comments and suggestions on my home reno before and after post. :) A couple readers suggested that the living room would look great with Navy paint and I think that is a lovely idea! Navy and orange go together really nicely. I talked to Eric about it and he loved the idea too. I think we might use Navy walls with white trim for the living room. I have a feeling it might be tough to pick a shade of navy though. If anyone out there has a shade of navy paint they enjoy, I would love your suggestions!

Here are a few pictures I found for inspiration:

433a847f7f16   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[Image Source]

885 06a0004 rebalance   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

Meg Braff navy blue family room   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

We are also considering leaving the crown molding intact and painting over it + shaving the popcorn. We’ll have to see how it goes!

IMG 9783   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Oh, and I fell in love this this colour for our bathroom…it is called Lavender Lace by Para Paint.

para paint lavender lace p5099 24   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

I love girly looking bathrooms.  I haven’t mentioned this paint idea to Eric yet…It might have to be one of those ‘Surprise! Look what I did while you were at work today!’ kinda jobs. ;)

PS- I am going through cupcake withdrawal today.

Caity March 15, 2011

I saw this recipe featured on fitsugar yesterday and HAD to run home and try it. This was my first attempt at homemade “cheese” sauce and I was absolutely thrilled by the results. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, your creativity in the kitchen is truly motivational!

Leslie Paquette March 15, 2011

I made this last night and it was awesome!! I actually think I preferred the leftovers today. I made it with whole wheat elbows and omited the salt and added 1 tsp of white miso instead. I also added a bunch of chopped steamed broccoli. I made the casserole option…pure comfort food, yum. Thanks for another great recipe!!

I think I may have already asked this, but I’m just curious why you “close” comments on past recipes? I always like to comment if I make something but can’t if I make an older recipe. If I have a question about a recipe that I can’t comment on should I comment about it on the current blog post? ~Leslie

The Food Placebo March 16, 2011

This is my first time EVER commenting on a food blog (recently started a food blog just for fun..very much of a newbie/amateur). BUT, I made with Tri-colored Quinoa Pasta and mixed in Broccoli and Cauliflower and topped with Cayenne Pepper (I love spice!) and baked as a casserole. Paired with Lemon Mushroom Kale with Sweet Bits. DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for the inspiration. I’m trying to do all Gluten Free and Dairy Free recipes due to recent food allergies and you have a great selection!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 16, 2011

yay! That is awesome!

Gloria March 16, 2011

I made this tonight. Yum! Thank you for the recipe :)

cindy/mijorecipes March 17, 2011

That’s a really creative idea for a mac n cheese macaroni! Loved it! I added broccoli too! I will be making it soon again :P

Lindsey March 18, 2011

I made this for dinner tonight and it was AMAZING! Thank you so much for the recipe!
- Lindsey

Hannah March 23, 2011

Hi Angela, I read your blog all the time but have never commented but there’s a first time for everything! I saw this recipe and just knew I would love the flavours but I just wanted a side nit a main dish. You have to try the amazing-ness that is this recipe as “cheesy mash” ie the lemon, garlic, nooch, mustard, salt, pepper, herbs and butternut mashed all yummy and comfortingly together! Mmmmmm
Thank you on behalf of my tastebuds x

T March 24, 2011

Do you ever roast your squash seeds? I LOVE roasted squash seeds. I actually prefer them instead of the squash, ha ha.

Raeann April 7, 2011

I made this last night. Sooo delish! I had to eat it for breakfast this morning :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2011

nice!!

Raychel April 23, 2012

I LOVE this recipe so much! Do you think I could use canned butternut squash puree to make it now (since butternut squash aren’t in season anymore, it’s kind of hard to find them).

Courtney May 24, 2012

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We just started our vegan journey and we have milk, soy AND gluten allergies. This was THE most delicious ” cheese” I have ever tried. My little ones devoured it, NO CLUE it wasn’t the “real” stuff. Oh! And the bread crumbs ( gluten free of course) were so perfect on top. I can’t wait to try more of your recipes!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 24, 2012

So glad to hear that Courtney!

Claudia June 12, 2012

thank you so much for this recipe! i’ve been dairy-free for over a year now, but cheese replacement recipes always sort of scared me. however, now thanks to you, i am a changed woman. even my dairy-loving family members were flipping over this dish. i’m definitely adding this to my regular repertoire. :)
oh, i stirred in some halved cherry tomatoes before baking, and it was delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 13, 2012

I love the idea of cherry tomatoes…I’ll have to try that. So glad you all enjoyed it!

Jill July 5, 2012

Hey Angela, I know that this post is over a year old but I’m a new vegan, and I’m also attempting to get into shape with very hard workouts, and as such I’m really struggling to get my protein. Do you think I could add some silken tofu into the cheeze mixture for added protein or do you think that it will overwhelm the flavors too much? Some input would be greatly appreciated!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 6, 2012

Hey Jill, I can’t see why not! I would start with a small amount and taste as you go. Let me know how it turns out!

Jill July 7, 2012

Wow! So I just finished eating it, and it was great. I added about 1/4lb of tofu into the sauce, and I even threw in some pre-cooked left over quinoa, which was never to be seen or tasted again. Thank you so much!

Ps. When I cut open the squash, the seeds had sprouted inside of it. How interesting!

Foodforthoughtlinds September 10, 2012

oooh…. love the idea of the tofu and quinoa. My husband is diabetic, so this will make it a better family dish for us!

Kristen August 1, 2012

I tried this exact recipe the other night for my husband and I and it was very yummy! It did seem to be lacking that little zingy pop though…it needed something to make it a little more flavorful. I added more salt and that helped a lot. Any suggestions on what to add to help? The nutritional yeast is a great addition, btw. I used it for the first time in this recipe and LOVED it! I’m a huge fan now. :) Thanks for the recipes and keep blogging away!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 2, 2012

Hey Kristen, Great suggestion – what about adding a touch of tahini or white miso? I’ve seen both used in vegan mac n cheeze recipes before, but I havent tried it yet myself. Let me know if you try it out!

Foodforthoughtlinds September 10, 2012

Just made this and I’m pretty sure my picky 2 year old is gonna gobble it up!! Do you think I could mix the sauce in with the noodles and then freeze some of it afterwards?

Emily September 23, 2012

Just made this for dinner tonight. It’s delicious. It was my first time using nutritional yeast. I am a new fan for sure. Thanks for posting :)

Radhika Sarohia October 7, 2012

Didn’t realize there were two butternut squash macaroni and cheese recipe on the site, this one has cashews (I didn’t read the other post carefully, I see you linked to this one there.)
Will be trying this cheeze sauce soon too and comparing the two as I just bought another butternut squash again :-)

lori November 3, 2012

What brand/where did you get those blue serving dishes in the picture with the mac n cheese? They’re so cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 4, 2012

Hey Lori! Im sorry I dont remember where they are from! My guess would be pier 1 or crate and barrel. :)

Katelyn November 5, 2012

Made this tonight. It was great! Going vegan has been made so much easier by your blog. Thank you!

Delphine December 11, 2012

Hi,
I tried this recipe tonight, unfortunately it wasn’t a big hit!
I pretty much liked it but my family found it a bit sweet, maybe my butternut squash was overly sweet..

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2012

Im sorry to hear that Delphine! I think a few others have mentioned it’s a bit sweet so I will have to revisit the recipe sometime. I’m glad you enjoyed it though.

Ashley February 10, 2013

Hey just wanted to let you know I made this sauce before and it was fabulous. I was halfway through making it yesterday in preparation for dinner when *gasp* I realized I was almost out of pasta….so I whipped up some pizza dough and used the cheeze sauce in place of tomato sauce. It was delicious :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 10, 2013

love that idea!

Christine February 26, 2013

I made this for dinner tonight and my husband loved it! We both were big mac and cheese lovers before we went vegan. It had a definite comfort food vibe to it. We love the bread crumbs on it as well. Great recipe and I plan to make this for my carnivore loving parents to get them to see vegan food tastes amazing as well. Thank you!

Kelsey February 26, 2013

I have yet to purchase nutritional yeast. I’ve tried the grocers around here but none have it! So I will definitely be ordering online in the near future. However, in the meantime, I did google substitutes for nutritional yeast and found a couple postings on pine nuts. I toasted them first then pureed them in the blender with the cashews and other ingredients and it was very good! I used a little extra squash so it wouldn’t be too “nutty” and the family loved it. I can’t wait to try it with some nutritional yeast though! Thank you for sharing all of this with us. It is a big help to all of us vegans who are still “foodies” ;) keep up the good work!!

Maria March 13, 2013

Hey! Last night I made this recipe but added steamed broccoli. It was wonderful! My husband rated it a 10 for the best macaroni and cheese recipe he’s had. I really loved it too. I’m excited that it can be made low-fat. Thank you for sharing!

Tanja April 10, 2013

Made the Mac’n Cheese two nights ago for dinner and must say, it’s almost a little ridiculous how good that sauce is! Today marks my first month of being vegan, and thanks to recipes like this one (and many others from your blog) it’s been incredibly easy. Can’t wait for your cookbook!

Nicole April 29, 2013

This dish was a amazing! Thanks for sharing! For the bread crumbs I used sourdough (which gave the dish a whole lot of flavor), added sliced zucchini and a little sprinkle of vegan cheese on the top( gave it a lite creamy sensation). Yum yum!

tiffini May 25, 2013

this has become our favorite meal! i am making a bunch of sauce now so my SO can just make up some noodles whenever he gets hungry :)

DianaS June 7, 2013

Do you happen to know the nutrition facts for this? Loved it BTW!

Barbara August 11, 2013

My husband loved this. We added broccoli, corn, and a small amount of pumpkin seeds. We will be having this again. Thanks!

Susan August 14, 2013

Hi! What do you guys think of replacing some of the pasta with chopped up baked white potatoes? i know that sounds sorta weird, but I have a lot of digestive issues with gf pasta (GF for medical reasons) but REALLLLY miss mac & chz! Also, how important is the nooch? (issues with that too). i know… trying to change this recipe a lot, but it looks SO DELICIOUS!

Simplehiccup September 12, 2013

I absolutely love that this recipe does not use oil. It is delicious, healthy and decadent. I have tried it twice: once with Butternut Squash and once with Patty Pan Squash- both times were outstanding!

colette September 17, 2013

just made this tonight, excellent. thank you

Tea Stars September 20, 2013

I’ve been drooling over your mac and cheese pictures for over a year and am soooo glad I have finally tried this recipe! My husband was very skeptical, but horray! he loved it too.
I always try to follow the recipe exactly the first time but ended up using almost the whole squash as it shrunk so much when roasted. However it turned out a bit thick so next time I’d just add more almond milk. Or less squash… but the squash is so so good. Thank you for the great recipe!

Laura November 2, 2013

Made this last night, and it was so delicious! Used quinoa/corn pasta. Added peas and several dashes of cayenne pepper. It is definitely one of my favorite mac ‘n cheese recipes! :) Can’t wait until your cookbook is released!

Franzi November 15, 2013

Just made this for me and my dairy-loving family. They really loved it, even though the sauce went a bit dry as I put it in the oven. I’ll just add some more milk next time. I also put in some brussels sprouts chopped in halves and it was AMAZING.
I really love cheese and at first I was very skeptical whether this would really please my taste buds but it DEFINITELY did!
Thanks a lot for sharing this recipe! :)

Melissa November 26, 2013

Could you make this for Thanksgiving a head of time and warm in the slow cooker?

Gina December 19, 2013

Do you think it would work to make this up the night before then sprinkle with breadcrumbs and bake the next day??

Rebecca Rip January 2, 2014

LOVE butternut squash – can’t wait to try this recipe out over the weekend!

Laura January 15, 2014

Just here to leave another glowing review! This is fantastic…. Though it might not have been the best thing that I ate it for four meals straight…. =P

Syd February 11, 2014

I’m eating this recipe as I write this review because it’s that good. I did the version where you don’t bake it like a casserole. I used the refrigerated/pre-packaged butternut squash from Trader Joe’s. Although I didn’t measure out how much it was, it tastes like the right amount. Using this made the process much quicker because I was able to microwave it. You could probably steam fresh butternut squash too. The sauce tastes like it could be on the inside of ravioli! I put it on brown rice fusilli though. I also added sweet peas and steamed cauliflower. Delicious :)

Page 4 of 5«12345»